Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Nittany Lions vs. Buckeyes: Who Ya’ Got?

Penn State comes calling at the Shoe this Saturday in a game that will likely decide 1/2 of the B1G championship game lineup, and has national playoff implications. Who do you like and why?

For me, the “who” is easy: I’ll take the scarlet & gray. The “why” is somewhat non-traditional. The Buckeyes will win because, after what PSU did this past Saturday to Michigan, when the Bucks beat the Lions, the Wolverines will see that and fold up like a cheap suit when the Buckeyes show up in Ann Arbor the Saturday after Thanksgiving. And that result is fore-ordained by the football gods, who hate Harbaugh.

Edited by bobref

2 hours ago, bobref said:

Penn State comes calling at the Shoe this Saturday in a game that will likely decide 1/2 of the B1G championship game lineup, and has national playoff implications. Who do you like and why?

For me, the “who” is easy: I’ll take the scarlet & gray. The “why” is somewhat non-traditional. The Buckeyes will win because, after what PSU did this past Saturday to Michigan, when the Bucks beat the Lions, the Wolverines will see that and fold up like a cheap suit when the Buckeyes show up in Ann Arbor the Saturday after Thanksgiving. And that result is fore-ordained by the football gods, who hate Harbaugh.

I am going with Penn State in this one; just think they are the better team.

As far as the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I do believe that Ohio State will beat Michigan......bigly. I also say it will be Harbaugh's last game as head coach in the Big House.

Ok I'll start off, take the bait. After seeing ohio st. up close early , that is, I'm thinking that they may have a kink in their armor. I feel that PSU has the better "O" in this game, but that's not to say Wilson won't come up with an all out attack Saturday.So it will get down to the defense, to determine this out come. I think Lions maybe have the edge. The home field advantage usually comes into play , but after Oklahoma, I am a little shy about putting a lot of value here. I take lions.

41 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I am going with Penn State in this one; just think they are the better team.

As far as the Saturday after Thanksgiving, I do believe that Ohio State will beat Michigan......bigly. I also say it will be Harbaugh's last game as head coach in the Big House.

Why do think Harbaugh is on the way out?  He is building a team with his own recruits and UM is very young.

Back to the NFL?  Maybe the Chicago Bears?

45 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Why do think Harbaugh is on the way out?  He is building a team with his own recruits and UM is very young.

Back to the NFL?  Maybe the Chicago Bears?

He does not stay in one place very long. If you cannot beat MSU  AND OSU, you don't last long at Michigan. He has a very similar record as RichRod at this point, and that just won't cut it for alums at Ann Arbor.

I can see a move back to the league. I know many Colts fans would love to see him in Indy.

Penn State will win handily and Harbaugh won't last beyond next season (but Purdue's locker room for the visitors will).

I'll take Penn State. That offense has some serious talent and Moorehead does an outstanding job of play calling. Their D-Line is ridiculously good and will give Barret fits all day. IMO, Barrett folds under pressure and I wouldn't expect much out of him in the passing game unless the WR's pick up a lot of YAC.

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

He does not stay in one place very long. If you cannot beat MSU  AND OSU, you don't last long at Michigan. He has a very similar record as RichRod at this point, and that just won't cut it for alums at Ann Arbor.

I can see a move back to the league. I know many Colts fans would love to see him in Indy.

But he is a "MIchigan Man"

RichRod was not.

Can't imagine Ohio State losing at the Horseshoe twice in one year. I think they win and win by a couple scores. I think most people wrote the Buckeyes off at after Oklahoma but they've quietly been going about their business since. I'm sure tOSU is right where Urban wants them to be.

28-17 Ohio state

Edited by Footballking16

23 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

But he is a "MIchigan Man"

RichRod was not.

It's a tough crowd though; a really tough crowd. Add to it that the school in Ohio has been in the National title picture since Urban arrived, and Michigan struggles to stay in the top 10.

Nittany Lions......but I am biased.

If the Lions can make Barrett & OSU one dimensional and force him to pass, I really like their chances.  PSU seems to have a more balanced offense.

You've got to wonder if this is the beginning of the OSU-PSU rivalry eclipsing the OSU-UM rivalry in conference play.

44 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

You've got to wonder if this is the beginning of the OSU-PSU rivalry eclipsing the OSU-UM rivalry in conference play.

Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler are spinning in their graves at the mere mention.

5 minutes ago, bobref said:

Woody Hayes and Bo Schembechler are spinning in their graves at the mere mention.

OSU has won 12 of last 13.  Not much of a rivalry.  

11/20/2004 Columbus 7   OSU 21 37 1st (T) 5th (T) 105,456
11/19/2005 Ann Arbor 17 8 OSU 21 25 3rd (T) 1st (T) 111,591
11/18/2006 Columbus 2 1 OSU 39 42 2nd (T) 1st 105,708
11/17/2007 Ann Arbor 23 7 OSU 3 14 2nd (T) 1st 111,941
11/22/2008 Columbus   10 OSU 7 42 9th (T) 1st (T) 105,564
11/21/2009 Ann Arbor   9 OSU 10 21 10th (T) 1st 110,992
Date Site Ranking Results Big 10 Finish Attendance
UM OSU W UM OSU UM OSU
11/27/2010 Columbus   8 OSU$ 7 37 7th (T) 1st (T) 105,491
11/26/2011 Ann Arbor 17   UM 40 34 2nd+ 4th+ 114,132**
11/22/2012 Columbus 20 4 OSU 21 26 2nd+ 1st+ 105,899
11/30/2013 Ann Arbor   3 OSU 41 42 5th+ 1st+ 113,511
11/29/2014 Columbus   7 OSU 28 42 4th@ 1st@ 108,610
11/28/2015 Ann Arbor 12 8 OSU 13 42 3rd@ 2nd@ 111,829
11/26/2016 Columbus 3 2 OSU 27 30 3rd@ 1st (T)@ 110,045**
  • Like 1

yep; it's only a rivalry when the other team wins once in a while. :)

Somewhat off topic, but based on QB2 snaps, it appears former Decatur Central star Tommy Stevens is poised to take over QB1 duties if McSorley goes Pro. Admittedly, I'm not sure if McSorley is considered a legit early round prospect if he leaves early.

7 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Somewhat off topic, but based on QB2 snaps, it appears former Decatur Central star Tommy Stevens is poised to take over QB1 duties if McSorley goes Pro. Admittedly, I'm not sure if McSorley is considered a legit early round prospect if he leaves early.

Too bad IU didnt get this kid.  

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/3791110/tommy-stevens

Edited by DrivenT

Buckeyes will get the win in a close one.  Those thinking PSU is more balanced at this point must have only watch the first two OSU games.  Running on all cylinders now.  Both are playing at a very high level offensively.  Buckeyes D-Line is the best in the country and they will apply a ton of pressure.  Saquan is beast, but Dobbins numbers are better and he's 18 yrs old.  OSU has more weapons overall.

...ichigan will be searching for a coach after the Wisconsin loss...it will be all the talk before the OSU game and they will put it all together to try to save the throwbacks job, but will come up short.  And most Colts fans I know, don't want any part of him as their coach, but Irsay signs the checks and he'll hire him in a heartbeat.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bowwowindy1 said:

Buckeyes will get the win in a close one.  Those thinking PSU is more balanced at this point must have only watch the first two OSU games.  Running on all cylinders now.  Both are playing at a very high level offensively.  Buckeyes D-Line is the best in the country and they will apply a ton of pressure.  Saquan is beast, but Dobbins numbers are better and he's 18 yrs old.  OSU has more weapons overall.

...ichigan will be searching for a coach after the Wisconsin loss...it will be all the talk before the OSU game and they will put it all together to try to save the throwbacks job, but will come up short.  And most Colts fans I know, don't want any part of him as their coach, but Irsay signs the checks and he'll hire him in a heartbeat.

Harbaugh is a better fit in Chicago than Indy.  

The city fits his style.  He is an outdoors guy.  A mucker.  Indy too soft.  

3 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

They had him, and then he de-committed.

And he really does not fit the PSU offensive scheme.  They will be looking for a McSorley clone, not a big 6-5, 240 lb gunslinger.  What type of offense did DC run when he was in high school?

2 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Harbaugh is a better fit in Chicago than Indy.  

The city fits his style.  He is an outdoors guy.  A mucker.  Indy too soft.  

Please, no.

Just now, DrivenT said:

Why not?

Because Harbaugh is a dickfor.

3 minutes ago, bobref said:

Because Harbaugh is a dickfor.

I expected much more from you counselor.  

I am prepared to make my case for Harbaugh.  What is yours against?  In detail please.