Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Titan32

Evansville Memorial (10-1) at Gibson Southern (11-0)

SECTIONAL 32 Championship Game
Evansville Memorial (10-1) at Gibson Southern (11-0)
GAME TIME: 7 pm CT, Jewell Field.
COACHES: John Hurley, 69-53 in 10th year at Evansville Memorial. Nick Hart, 67-8 in 6th year at Gibson Southern.
SAGARIN RATINGS: Gibson Southern, 85.98, 22nd overall, 2nd in Class 3A. Evansville Memorial, 78.21, 28th overall, 4th in Class 3A.
LAST OUTING: Evansville Memorial defeated Washington, 49-15. Gibson Southern defeated Vincennes Lincoln, 39-28.
VS. COMMON FOES: Evansville Memorial 1-0; Gibson Southern 1-0.
OPPONENTS' RECORDS: Evansville Memorial 54-51, Gibson Southern 46-57. (Does not include out of state games)
LAST MEETING: Evansville Memorial, 29-20, Oct. 21, 2016, sectional.

All-time Series:
Gibson Southern vs. Evansville Memorial

Date        Result        Series
11-08-1985    Gibson Southern    0 - 48    Evansville Memorial    0-1
10-31-1997    Gibson Southern    0 - 46    Evansville Memorial    0-2
11-06-1998    Gibson Southern    34 - 55    Evansville Memorial    0-3
10-21-2005    Gibson Southern    18 - 13    Evansville Memorial    1-3
10-19-2007    Gibson Southern    7 - 34    Evansville Memorial    1-4
10-24-2008    Gibson Southern    20 - 42    Evansville Memorial    1-5
11-02-2012    Gibson Southern    27 - 24    Evansville Memorial    2-5
11-01-2013    Gibson Southern    29 - 23    Evansville Memorial    3-5
10-24-2014    Gibson Southern    50 - 17    Evansville Memorial    4-5
10-21-2016    Gibson Southern    20 - 29    Evansville Memorial    4-6

Evansville Memorial leads series 6-4

image.thumb.png.ed759b42525b429dcd3a31c96f2a2f9f.png

Edited by Titan32

20 minutes ago, titandad1971 said:

What's the o/u on this game? 90?

ill take 75 with over but under on the 90

Edited by CS31295

There’s no way to even begin figuring out how this one will end. Arguably the sectional, regional, and semi state all wrapped into one game. Either team is worthy of a state finals berth. 

Edited by SEAL_63

8 minutes ago, War Daddy said:

Titans by 4 TD's. Will be close at half. 

So sticking with your recent trend of picks, it'll actually be a close game then.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Arguably the sectional, regional, and semi state all wrapped into one game. 

Considering there are still 7 teams ranked in the top 10 in 3A still playing in the south, I bet they would all argue that it's not. Whoever wins this one has a long hard road ahead to get to the oil can. I think both teams are capable of getting there but definitely will not be easy. 

• Upvote 1

I know the o/u on score will be high, but what's the o/u on fan attendance at this game? Considering the match-up, the proximity to Evansville area, and the number of fan bases who no longer have their team in the playoffs, I imagine there will be A LOT of people there. Hope the weather plays nice.

14 hours ago, Big8Football said:

So sticking with your recent trend of picks, it'll actually be a close game then.

I'm just reckless man, GS 48-20

9-29-17 Memorial’s only loss was to the Central Bears 35-7.  Gonna be a packed house this Friday night at the Jewell.  We can’t have the mental errors like this past  Friday night and expect to win.  Hopefully we get it cleaned up and end Memorials season.  Both teams hard work has paid off and good luck.  

IB - All IN

Edited by GS Titan 78

14 hours ago, PigskinCoach said:

I know the o/u on score will be high, but what's the o/u on fan attendance at this game? Considering the match-up, the proximity to Evansville area, and the number of fan bases who no longer have their team in the playoffs, I imagine there will be A LOT of people there. Hope the weather plays nice.

Yup, my son and I plan on being there....I'd say it will be a packed house.  We are coming no matter how crappy the weather is.

Looking like rain will create havoc once again. This time it looks like rain during the game. Even though its on turf. Who will benefit from these conditions this week in this match-up? Will it effect either teams passing schemes? Or will it be just a pound for pound all out brawl to see who can control the ground game? Whats everyone's thoughts as we start the week of prep?

5 hours ago, TitanObserver said:

Looking like rain will create havoc once again. This time it looks like rain during the game. Even though its on turf. Who will benefit from these conditions this week in this match-up? Will it effect either teams passing schemes? Or will it be just a pound for pound all out brawl to see who can control the ground game? Whats everyone's thoughts as we start the week of prep?

I don't think the game changes for either team.  Both teams are about 50/50 run to pass.

9 minutes ago, thakilla said:

How many people does the stadium hold?

We had just over 3k in there for the Chatard semi-state game.  I am sure modifications can be made to accommodate more than that though.

Edited by Titan32

On 10/29/2017 at 12:33 AM, TitanPride said:

Considering there are still 7 teams ranked in the top 10 in 3A still playing in the south, I bet they would all argue that it's not. Whoever wins this one has a long hard road ahead to get to the oil can. I think both teams are capable of getting there but definitely will not be easy. 

No it won’t be easy. Nothing is at this stage. But I think most would agree that GS and Memorial are both better than their 2016 teams, which says a lot being as those teams were very good last season. You just won’t see many other squads as complete as these two. I think this will show in the regional. 

Edited by SEAL_63

Few questions this morning.  1. Does Memorial have any two way players?  2. What about their RB #21? 3. Can GS defensive backfield slow their passing game and eliminate the big plays?  4. Can GS contain their QB and shut down his ability to run the ball.  5. Can Memorial slow down our pass offense?  6. Can Memorial slow down our running game?  If the answer is no to questions 3-6 I'd hate to say what the possibilities are for the final score.  Yikes.          

Edited by GS Titan 78

I would be shocked if either team gets to 40 points. Memorial is very good on both sides of the ball. I expect a battle Friday night. 

2 hours ago, GS Titan 78 said:

Few questions this morning.  1. Does Memorial have any two way players?  2. What about their RB #21? 3. Can GS defensive backfield slow their passing game and eliminate the big plays?  4. Can GS contain their QB and shut down his ability to run the ball.  5. Can Memorial slow down our pass offense?  6. Can Memorial slow down our running game?  If the answer is no to questions 3-6 I'd hate to say what the possibilities are for the final score.  Yikes.          

Memorial has 1 player who often plays both ways.  Memorial RB is durable and has some quickness.

Edited by tango

3 hours ago, GS Titan 78 said:

1. No one on the offensive or defensive line plays both ways, other than a few special formations.

2. See Tango's response above.

3. Maybe but probably not entirely... QB has lots of targets.

4. QB one of the fastest players on the team. 

5. Maybe but probably not entirely... if the defensive line can get in the backfield and pressure Sellers. 

6. Did a pretty good job against SIAC running backs not named Evans. 

Should be a really good game and as usual will probably come down to line play on both sides!

I didn't respond to Qs 2-6 because I think all the answers are likely "maybe" or better yet, "sometimes".  From what I've seen, I don't see either team dominating the other for 4 Qs.  The teams appear to be very evenly matched IMO and neither team has to worry about 2 way players getting worn out.  I don't think the rain will impact either team, but it sure would be nice for the fans if it held off until Saturday... 

Shoutout to whoever in Gibson Southern shared Gridirondigest to the peeps of Gibson Southern!!    A lot of peeps last 2 days