Sign in to follow this  
thakilla

Central vs East Central

I don't live in the area so maybe I've got it all wrong, but what I'm interepreting above sounds like a huge can of worms which could easily evolve into either unintentional mistakes or intentional manipulations.  You're saying that a kid can go anywhere he wants within EVSC despite where he lives (assume Bosse), and if he chooses Central as a frosh, then Central counts him in their IHSAA enrollment.  If he later transfers to AIS, then Central stops counting him because he doesn't attend there nor live in their district, but word is somehow communicated to Bosse that Bosse needs to start counting him even though he never sets foot in Bosse's building and may never play sports?  Someone at either Central or AIS would have to know who's district he really lives in and follow up to make that phone call, because Bosse would have no idea the transfer took place right?

I say that questioningly because when I add up the enrollments per IHSAA and the enrollments per Indiana DOE, there's a fairly sizable gap...

(per IHSAA 2017-18 Classification Enrollments] / [per DOE 2017-18]

North (1614) / [1569]

Reitz (1355) / [1335]

Harrison (1243) / [1138]

Central (1185) / [1027]

Bosse (802) / [746]

AIS  ( -0-) / [534]

New Tech ( -0-) / [302]

TOTAL  (6199) / [6651]

I wouldn't expect the numbers to tie out perfectly due to timing or other misc reasons, & I do notice all of the schools' DOE #s are lower than their IHSAA numbers as though there's an attempt to count some people not in their building (Central adding on the most), but yet a difference of over 450 kids that on the surface appear uncounted.

• Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Binford said:

I don't live in the area so maybe I've got it all wrong, but what I'm interepreting above sounds like a huge can of worms which could easily evolve into either unintentional mistakes or intentional manipulations.  You're saying that a kid can go anywhere he wants within EVSC despite where he lives (assume Bosse), and if he chooses Central as a frosh, then Central counts him in their IHSAA enrollment.  If he later transfers to AIS, then Central stops counting him because he doesn't attend there nor live in their district, but word is somehow communicated to Bosse that Bosse needs to start counting him even though he never sets foot in Bosse's building and may never play sports?  Someone at either Central or AIS would have to know who's district he really lives in and follow up to make that phone call, because Bosse would have no idea the transfer took place right?

I say that questioningly because when I add up the enrollments per IHSAA and the enrollments per Indiana DOE, there's a fairly sizable gap...

North (1614) / [1569]

Reitz (1355) / [1335]

Harrison (1243) / [1138]

Central (1185) / [1027]

Bosse (802) / [746]

AIS  ( -0-) / [534]

New Tech ( -0-) / [302]

TOTAL  (6199) / [6651]

I wouldn't expect the numbers to tie out perfectly due to timing or other misc reasons, & I do notice all of the schools' DOE #s are lower than their IHSAA numbers as though there's an attempt to count some people not in their building (Central adding on the most), but yet a difference of over 450 kids that on the surface appear uncounted.

All the enrollment is counted toward Bosse, it bumped them up to 4A causing controversy:

The 64 schools in 4A Football currently are Enrollment Schools #69-132.  Per the IHSAA website of Enrollments/Classifications, Bosse comes in at #131 with an enrollment of 802 thus placing them in 4A.  The Indiana Dept of Education (DOE) website shows an enrollment of 746 at Bosse and 534 at AIS in high school grades. (in total 1,280 unique students, no double-counting).  IF the true # of students in Bosse's building is 746, it would appear Bosse is counting approximately 55-60 students attending elsewhere, but nowhere near the whole AIS population.  I don't disagree that, since the 3A/4A cutoff is not far below Bosse's reported 802 to IHSAA, counting just a few extras did push them up a class.

My point was that the existence of 1) an Open Enrollment school corp plus 2) allowing kids who attend non-sports high schools to play at a different high school seems to have the potential for counting problems - and indeed there on the surface appears to be 452 more EVSC students in the DOE system for the seven EVSC grade 9-12 schools than what's been reported to the IHSAA for the five sports-playing high schools, when you wouldn't expect the difference to be more than a handful.

Who includes the New Tech students or can they not play sports anywhere?   Anyone have a good explanation for how the DOE and IHSAA counts could differ by 450+ students?

Somehow this is all Memorial and MD's fault.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Binford said:

The 64 schools in 4A Football currently are Enrollment Schools #69-132.  Per the IHSAA website of Enrollments/Classifications, Bosse comes in at #131 with an enrollment of 802 thus placing them in 4A.  The Indiana Dept of Education (DOE) website shows an enrollment of 746 at Bosse and 534 at AIS in high school grades. (in total 1,280 unique students, no double-counting).  IF the true # of students in Bosse's building is 746, it would appear Bosse is counting approximately 55-60 students attending elsewhere, but nowhere near the whole AIS population.  I don't disagree that, since the 3A/4A cutoff is not far below Bosse's reported 802 to IHSAA, counting just a few extras did push them up a class.

My point was that the existence of 1) an Open Enrollment school corp plus 2) allowing kids who attend non-sports high schools to play at a different high school seems to have the potential for counting problems - and indeed there on the surface appears to be 452 more EVSC students in the DOE system for the seven EVSC grade 9-12 schools than what's been reported to the IHSAA for the five sports-playing high schools, when you wouldn't expect the difference to be more than a handful.

Who includes the New Tech students or can they not play sports anywhere?   Anyone have a good explanation for how the DOE and IHSAA counts could differ by 450+ students?

First, New Tech is a “charter” school that is run by the EVSC, but any student in the state may attend (class size of 100 students).  That is a totally different can of worms that I will never wish to get into, as my son attended New Tech. It is a school that does not offer extracurriculars.

AIS is a school that kids who have been kicked out or have discipline issues are sent to. It is also run by the EVSC. These students may or may not be eligible to participate in extracurricular activities. If they are eligible, they must participate at the school that their home address is in the district of. 

Evansville has a “limited” open enrollment policy. Students (and parents) must decide where the child will attend before their freshman year, and then, there are other small factors that go in to it, but that is the deadline. A student may live in Bosse’s district, but could choose to attend North. If all criteria is met, that child would be a student at North, and would be counted as a North student for school classification. If the studen would then after that point get kicked out of North, they would be ordered to attend AIS. Now, that student would be counted as a Bosse student since his address is located in Bosse’s district. 

The EVSC turns in the numbers for the public schools in Evansville to the IHSAA for school classifications. That is why the big debate over AIS, the students, and the counts. 

17 hours ago, Binford said:

North (1614) / [1569]

Reitz (1355) / [1335]

Harrison (1243) / [1138]

Central (1185) / [1027]

Bosse (802) / [746]

AIS  ( -0-) / [534]

New Tech ( -0-) / [302]

TOTAL  (6199) / [6651]

You are correct! Said student could actually be playing football for central and if the proper phone calls are not made, said student could actually count against our enrollment at the same time. (

16 hours ago, Titan32 said:

All the enrollment is counted toward Bosse, it bumped them up to 4A causing controversy:

Not true ... Only those who live in our district, count against us.

27 minutes ago, eschnur66 said:

You are correct! Said student could actually be playing football for central and if the proper phone calls are not made, said student could actually count against our enrollment at the same time. (

Not true ... Only those who live in our district, count against us.

Thanks coach...my bad...I knew it pushed you guys up just enough for 4A.

10 hours ago, Alduflux said:

Somehow this is all Memorial and MD's fault.

It's always those darn cheatin' Catholics.

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

Thanks coach...my bad...I knew it pushed you guys up just enough for 4A.

It's always those darn cheatin' Catholics.

Or in Memorial's case...non-Catholics....lol

• Haha 1

On 12/25/2017 at 1:21 PM, Titan32 said:

Wondering if there are any Princeton fans on this thread.

Not sure I have ever seen any Princeton fans on here.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, JasperWildcats87 said:

Not sure I have ever seen any Princeton fans on here.

It was a little jab about what has transpired....there are a couple who watch the Grid.  I was even mentioned by their coach on Twitter (by my Grid handle) back during season....you have no idea how flattered I was.

Edited by Titan32
  • Like 1

Wonder if there are any Texas HS football fans on GID...?

Princeton fans might be interested now--since they have a few former Central athletes roaming the hallways

2 hours ago, Coach duvy said:

Princeton fans might be interested now--since they have a few former Central athletes roaming the hallways

Is it official then?

Burn the boats!

• Haha 3
  • Upvote 1