dave mosbey

Heritage Hills stadium to get $1.8M facelift

15 minutes ago, Titan76 said:

Why use taxpayer money for any education expense? All school's should be private! And for that matter, most of what taxpayer money is spent on should be privatized. We should have toll roads only, private prison system, welfare and welfare programs eleminated, Medicaid and Medicare eleminated. Privatize everything.

I  am with Muda quit using my money for things I don't use.

Glad we are on the same page, except for the private prison system.    Thank you for your support.

Just now, Muda69 said:

Glad we are on the same page, except for the private prison system.    Thank you for your support.

Why should my tax dollars go to educate and "rehabilitate" criminals? Put em in hard labor camps, throw away they key.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Titan76 said:

Why should my tax dollars go to educate and "rehabilitate" criminals? Put em in hard labor camps, throw away they key.

If you are going to have a system of laws, and penalties for those who break those laws, then tax dollars have to go to fund that system.  I view that as a legitimate function of government.

So you believe any offense should result in a life sentence of hard labor?

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 9:02 AM, Muda69 said:

Hmm, taxpayer money being used for improvements that will primarily benefit extracurricular, non-academic activities.    Why can't such improvements be funded via private donations?

The 1.8 Million is addition to this which is still ongoing.

Heritage Hills planning for $5M expansion

By ALLEN LAMAN
alaman@dcherald.com

LINCOLN CITY — The North Spencer School Board has approved a roughly $5 million bid for the work on an expansion and renovation at Heritage Hills High School that will add 17,365 square feet total to the building’s main and lower levels on its west wing.

Among other things, the expansion will include a new commons area, concession stand and choir room on the school’s main level, as well as renovations and an addition adjacent to the school’s main gym that will bring the wrestling facility down from the upper level.

The expansion will also include elevator access from the school’s upper level to the lower level of the main gym, which will be outfitted with bleachers that are compliant with the American with Disabilities Act. ADA-compliant bathrooms will also be added in the school.

The project was approved at the board’s regular meeting Monday evening, with the winning bid going to ARC Construction of Evansville.

“Before, it was really difficult even for some grandparents to get down the stairs for viewing on that lower level (at the gym),” said Angela Burton, the project coordinator with The Stenftenagel Group of Jasper. “I’ve talked to several people that are excited about the project for that particular reason — just to be able to have that full experience.”

Superintendent Dan Scherry said the school has simply outgrown its facilities, and he noted that the project will not add any taxpayer burden. Payments will begin next year and end in 2024.

“We have debt service that is coming off in 2018, so we’re going to be able to do all this work and still lower our tax rate by a little bit,” Scherry said. “You try and maintain and improve your facilities, but you also want to be very cognizant of where your tax rate is. Our goal is to keep it as steady as we can.”

North Spencer’s tax rate is currently 82 cents per $100 assessed value. That is lower than each of the other four area schools — Southwest Dubois ($1.23), Greater Jasper ($1.12), Southeast Dubois (99 cents) and Northeast Dubois (97 cents after the referendum to raise taxes passes in last month’s election).

The project will also replace the school’s electrical switchgear, which is the same unit that was installed when the school was built in 1973. It serves as the entire building’s main power feed and is essentially the school’s electrical heart because it distributes power across the campus.

But like a heart, it can stop beating.

“It’s like a lot of equipment of that type: You don’t know when it’s going to fail, and when it does fail, it’s usually the most inopportune time,” said Paul Tempel, a project manager with The Stenftenagel Group.

Tempel explained that the switchgear is nearing the end of its life cycle and said that if it doesn’t get replaced in time, something “catastrophic” could happen to the school.

Burton explained that if the unit failed, the school would be out of power for about a week while waiting on the replacement part, which could mean no classes and potential damage to the school’s infrastructure in times of high humidity and damage to pipes in freezing temperatures.

“The (current) electric switchgear might make it another two or three years, but if or when it doesn’t, we may or may not have the capabilities of fixing it as smoothly (as we do now),” Sherry said.

Burton added: “There’s so many things that revolve around power. You never realize how much you rely on power until it’s not there.”

Construction is tentatively slated to begin in February and end in June 2018. Sherry said that the project was initially discussed during his second year in the corporation in 2004. This is the third piece of a $10 million corporation-wide project that included the cafeteria renovations and office area upgrades at David Turnham Educational Center in Dale and Chrisney Elementary School in Chrisney.

5 hours ago, dave mosbey said:

December 13, 2016

By ALLEN LAMAN
alaman@dcherald.com

LINCOLN CITY — The North Spencer School Board has approved a roughly $5 million bid for the work on an expansion and renovation at Heritage Hills High School that will add 17,365 square feet total to the building’s main and lower levels on its west wing.

Among other things, the expansion will include a new commons area, concession stand and choir room on the school’s main level, as well as renovations and an addition adjacent to the school’s main gym that will bring the wrestling facility down from the upper level.

The expansion will also include elevator access from the school’s upper level to the lower level of the main gym, which will be outfitted with bleachers that are compliant with the American with Disabilities Act. ADA-compliant bathrooms will also be added in the school.

The project was approved at the board’s regular meeting Monday evening, with the winning bid going to ARC Construction of Evansville.

“Before, it was really difficult even for some grandparents to get down the stairs for viewing on that lower level (at the gym),” said Angela Burton, the project coordinator with The Stenftenagel Group of Jasper. “I’ve talked to several people that are excited about the project for that particular reason — just to be able to have that full experience.”

Superintendent Dan Scherry said the school has simply outgrown its facilities, and he noted that the project will not add any taxpayer burden. Payments will begin next year and end in 2024.

“We have debt service that is coming off in 2018, so we’re going to be able to do all this work and still lower our tax rate by a little bit,” Scherry said. “You try and maintain and improve your facilities, but you also want to be very cognizant of where your tax rate is. Our goal is to keep it as steady as we can.”

North Spencer’s tax rate is currently 82 cents per $100 assessed value. That is lower than each of the other four area schools — Southwest Dubois ($1.23), Greater Jasper ($1.12), Southeast Dubois (99 cents) and Northeast Dubois (97 cents after the referendum to raise taxes passes in last month’s election).

The project will also replace the school’s electrical switchgear, which is the same unit that was installed when the school was built in 1973. It serves as the entire building’s main power feed and is essentially the school’s electrical heart because it distributes power across the campus.

But like a heart, it can stop beating.

“It’s like a lot of equipment of that type: You don’t know when it’s going to fail, and when it does fail, it’s usually the most inopportune time,” said Paul Tempel, a project manager with The Stenftenagel Group.

Tempel explained that the switchgear is nearing the end of its life cycle and said that if it doesn’t get replaced in time, something “catastrophic” could happen to the school.

Burton explained that if the unit failed, the school would be out of power for about a week while waiting on the replacement part, which could mean no classes and potential damage to the school’s infrastructure in times of high humidity and damage to pipes in freezing temperatures.

“The (current) electric switchgear might make it another two or three years, but if or when it doesn’t, we may or may not have the capabilities of fixing it as smoothly (as we do now),” Sherry said.

Burton added: “There’s so many things that revolve around power. You never realize how much you rely on power until it’s not there.”

Construction is tentatively slated to begin in February and end in June 2018. Sherry said that the project was initially discussed during his second year in the corporation in 2004. This is the third piece of a $10 million corporation-wide project that included the cafeteria renovations and office area upgrades at David Turnham Educational Center in Dale and Chrisney Elementary School in Chrisney.

Clearly a boondoggle.....(message board sarcasm)

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, dave mosbey said:

December 13, 2016

By ALLEN LAMAN
alaman@dcherald.com

Has the enrollment been growing so much at Heritage Hills High School that is warrants such a huge expansion of the building?

7 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Has the enrollment been growing so much at Heritage Hills High School that is warrants such a huge expansion of the building?

Been dropping but  the school is about 45 years old though so really outdated as far as ADA requirements and other things.

1 hour ago, dave mosbey said:

Been dropping but  the school is about 45 years old though so really outdated as far as ADA requirements and other things.

So ADA requirements require adding 17,365 square feet to a building where the enrollment has been dropping?  That is a lot of ramps and elevators..................

We sure could have used those stands about 15 years ago!!!!!   Back then you could double the stands and still not have room.  

I'm afraid it is going to look awful empty, but hey, it will look nice.  Build it and they will come?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, PatriotFan said:

We sure could have used those stands about 15 years ago!!!!!   Back then you could double the stands and still not have room.  

I'm afraid it is going to look awful empty, but hey, it will look nice.  Build it and they will come?

Personally I prefer to stand up but some people arrive early to guarantee a seat maybe the additional seats will help get more people at games.

15 hours ago, dave mosbey said:

Personally I prefer to stand up but some people arrive early to guarantee a seat maybe the additional seats will help get more people at games.

I hope you are right.

Actually forgot this was taking place. Seems to me if one was going to pump that much $$ into the football facilities- you’d wanna make sure those plans included field turf?? 

On 3/26/2018 at 8:26 PM, jets said:

Actually forgot this was taking place. Seems to me if one was going to pump that much $$ into the football facilities- you’d wanna make sure those plans included field turf?? 

Clayton would have never had turf....but that ship has sailed.   Turf came up in a facebook post the other day and it was mentioned that it would take additional, fund raising for turf.  Who knows?   

I can appreciate the upgrades for those who are disabled being bound to a wheelchair myself...a big thumbs up to HH for complying with ADA guidelines 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, silvertone1696 said:

I can appreciate the upgrades for those who are disabled being bound to a wheelchair myself...a big thumbs up to HH for complying with ADA guidelines 

Yeah the ADA portion is way overdue. I believe their is only one entrance that is handicap accessible now and only way to get to gym is taking the long way and then no way to get to floor level.

• Upvote 1

On 12/13/2017 at 11:42 AM, Patch33 said:

I understand your fiscally conservative nature, but aren't extra curricular activities an important part of a students education? Don't these things make a student more well rounded? Don't these things also benefit communities socially and instill pride.  Think of what sports did for the University of Mississippi in 1962 and for the town of Philadelphia Mississippi when Marcus Dupree was there. Read about why Bear Bryant played USC in Alabama when he knew they were probably going to get beat. Plato, I believe also stated, that a sound body led to a sound mind and recommended a strenuous exercise regimen during his days as a "Teacher."  I understand, that we should try to fund things without tax money whenever possible, but if there is extra money as seems to be the case here, why not use it to upgrade facilities and improve community and school pride.  That money can typically only be used on capital improvements, so why not?  If you do not use tax money, what do schools in poor area with no economic benefactors do? 

On 12/13/2017 at 10:32 AM, Muda69 said:

Somebody has to be a watchdog and ask the tough questions.

Don't feed into his garbage.  He has a point of view, and he can have it.  Mine is good for them in investing in their school quality, whether academic or extracurricular.  It's nice to have those luxuries, needed or not.

On 12/13/2017 at 9:32 AM, Muda69 said:

Somebody has to be a watchdog and ask the tough questions.

The Watchdog:

Image result for mcgruff the dog

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/26/2018 at 9:26 PM, jets said:

Not the only reason, but may have something to do with the negative publicity that is still out there on artificial turf from a health perspective?  Believe them or not, right or wrong, the concerns and unknowns are still out there.    

Edited by Captain Cabinets
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/29/2018 at 12:59 PM, Captain Cabinets said:

Not the only reason, but may have something to do with the negative publicity that is still out there on artificial turf from a health perspective?  Believe them or not, right or wrong, the concerns and unknowns are still out there.    

Additionally, some of us just like grass.  Invest the money in the weight room.

Edited by PatriotFan
  • Upvote 3

21 hours ago, PatriotFan said:

Additionally, some of us just like grass.  Invest the money in the weight room.

According to this tweet the weight room is taken care of as well. 

Great school board meeting tonight. The weight room got approved for more equipment!  Love the total corporation buy in. Much appreciated.

• Upvote 2

A couple of pictures Coach posted on Twitter the past couple of days. Seems like a ton of work to be ready for the scrimmage on august 10th.

Dh25gxDUEAElazi.jpgDiAxfd4U0AMUpft.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Looks great. Kind of similar to what the Vincennes School Corp. did to Inman Field a couple years back, but on a smaller scale. 

Edited by SEAL_63
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

Looks great. Kind of similar to what the Vincennes School Corp. did to Inman Field a couple years back, but on a smaller scale. 

Inman field is a great old stadium, but it was in dire need of some TLC. You did not want to work there when it was raining.