Sign in to follow this  
yellowjacket

Changes in the Northern Indiana Conference

The Northern Indiana Conference schools voted last week to place New Prairie in the Northern division and Clay in the Southern division starting next fall (2018)

Edited by yellowjacket

gee, with the changes coming to SBCSC could Clay athletics be going bye-bye

That also means NP gets to play Penn and Mishawaka yearly now

Probably the best move for both schools. Wonder if NP will keep Clay as a cross-over game or go looking elsewhere to fill the void. Personally, I feel that Jimtown should stay on NPs schedule just to keep that NSC flair. 

Edited by indianastate33
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, wolves on the prowl said:

Will they just flip flop conference schedules then?? 

Yes, a fairly easy change.

Significant bump in regular season competition for New Prairie, but definitely a good change for both teams.

16 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

Significant bump in regular season competition for New Prairie, but definitely a good change for both teams.

Huge competitive upgrade for New Prairie.  Note that they already open with Laporte 

4 hours ago, Indian72 said:

gee, with the changes coming to SBCSC could Clay athletics be going bye-bye

That also means NP gets to play Penn and Mishawaka yearly now

Be careful what you ask for ...

Good opportunity for SBCSC to contract the Clay football program.  The results and numbers analysis clearly indicate this is the right move.  Lets see if they pull the trigger.  

NP will need to find a new team on the schedule since the north plays 4 non conference games

1 minute ago, Indian72 said:

NP will need to find a new team on the schedule since the north plays 4 non conference games

I'd be happy if Northridge were to add them, iron sharpens iron as they say.

8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Surprised NLC did not go hard after NP to replace EM.  

Perfect fit, minus the drive from Warsaw or Syracuse to Rolling Prairie.

1 minute ago, NRRaider2001 said:

The schedule makers could work it out to where NP would only have to travel to either Warsaw or Syracuse every year.  They could handle that easily.  

15 hours ago, NRRaider2001 said:

I've always thought NP fits the NLC "mold" perfectly, a lot more like minded schools compared to the NIC. Being in the NSC for years New Prairie is used to some long drives, But the drive to Warsaw and Wawasee aren't very appealing. Remember 1 trip there a season on a Friday night isn't bad, but you have to take into account Tennis, Softball, Baseball , Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, etc. which are mostly played on weekday nights.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, indianastate33 said:

I've always thought NP fits the NLC "mold" perfectly, a lot more like minded schools compared to the NIC. Being in the NSC for years New Prairie is used to some long drives, But the drive to Warsaw and Wawasee aren't very appealing. Remember 1 trip there a season on a Friday night isn't bad, but you have to take into account Tennis, Softball, Baseball , Volleyball, Basketball, Wrestling, etc. which are mostly played on weekday nights.

Bingo

16 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Surprised NLC did not go hard after NP to replace EM.  

Could be in the minority here, but I would be just fine having a 7-team NLC.  Gives schools (specifically Warsaw) one more opportunity in all sports to add a competitive non-conference school from the same division or something along those lines.  Unfortunately, with the SAC at a full 10 members, that makes it a little more difficult when it comes to adding a Fort Wayne team to the football schedule.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Bingo

Could be in the minority here, but I would be just fine having a 7-team NLC.  Gives schools (specifically Warsaw) one more opportunity in all sports to add a competitive non-conference school from the same division or something along those lines.  Unfortunately, with the SAC at a full 10 members, that makes it a little more difficult when it comes to adding a Fort Wayne team to the football schedule.

So still no traction regarding the Warsaw to The SAC idea?  

41 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

Bingo

trying to find games your off week is not easy

maybe add Culver Academy

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

So still no traction regarding the Warsaw to The SAC idea?  

I can promise you, there is no desire or conversations about this occurring within the Warsaw school corporation. You've been the only one to continuously mention the idea on these threads over the last few months.

• Haha 2

I know some individuals at Bremen would like to see a conference change.  I don't agree with them.  My concern there is with leadership being satisfied with fielding teams, and not building programs.  Often they go with easy hires, instead of investing time into finding committed coaches.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

I know some individuals at Bremen would like to see a conference change.  I don't agree with them.  My concern there is with leadership being satisfied with fielding teams, and not building programs.  Often they go with easy hires, instead of investing time into finding committed coaches.

sad, this happens in more places than you'd think.

5 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I can promise you, there is no desire or conversations about this occurring within the Warsaw school corporation. You've been the only one to continuously mention the idea on these threads over the last few months.

I think I read something about it in the Ft Wayne newspaper

4 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

This is what the path to "club sports" looks like

Club Sports field teams

Varsity sports build programs

Indiana High School athletics is morphing from one to the other.  The trend will continue over time, with lay coaches being the norm, and varsity coaches gradually phased out.

• Upvote 1

Definitely throws a wrench into scheduling since Washington and Marian will have to find new opponents for week 3 and week 1 respectively but overall I think it is a good move for the conference and those schools.  NP wasn't gaining anything from playing the southern schools.  They may not go unbeaten in the regular season but they will be better for it in the playoffs.  Clay needed a lifeline and this is all the conference could do for them at this point.  Contraction is a real possibility for Clay, especially with yet another coaching search in full swing and Clay not having any feeder schools due to Focus 2018.  I think the writing is on the wall but time will tell.  

• Like 1