Sign in to follow this  
Coach_G

Purdue and Indiana sign a total of 7 in-state kids

3 minutes ago, gapdownbacker said:

If you're an Indiana kid looking to get into Ag or engineering why on earth would you leave to go someplace else? Same with Kelley business school, these two Universities have top notch programs in many areas. Remember, it's about the degree. 

While I agree whole heartedly with this, sometimes it is also about exposure for getting to the NFL. No better engineering degree than Purdue, but getting that degree from Michigan wont keep you from getting a top notch job. Or getting an Ag degree from Michigan state or Nebraska. Northwesterns' business and medical school are very good. So my point is, unless the "State" schools take it up a notch or two in football, the kids will be forced to look to greener pastures. Cant blame them.

• Downvote 1

20 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Ohio 11.6 mil

Indiana 6.6 mil

I get your point but not even common core can get this to 20%.

Ok, so it is as bad as you think.  Indiana *%#!?*s at football.  Go Bucks!

• Downvote 1

And my knowledge of the demographics of Ohio and Indiana are just as bad.  Seriously for some reason thought Ohio was over 20mil.  :14_v:

That goes along with finding out other day that my birthday tomorrow will make me the age that I thought I've been all year.  

• Haha 1

On 12/23/2017 at 7:39 PM, bowwowindy1 said:

Ok, so it is as bad as you think.  Indiana *%#!?*s at football.  Go Bucks!

Dang, I got a down vote for sarcasm.  Merry Christmas!

• Haha 1

Everyone wringing their hands about Indiana high school football, I thought it was interesting watching Purdue pull out a nice win over Arizona in their bowl game last night.  For those interested:

Markell Jones, RB, Columbus East

Gelen Robinson, DT, leader in TFL, Lake Central

Joe Schopper, punter, Indy Cathedral

Jackson Anthrop, WR/KR/PR, Lafayette Central Catholic

Jacob Thieneman, Safety (nice pick to end the game), Guerin Catholic

Ben Makowski, Long Snapper, Penn

Kirk Barron, Center, Mishawaka Marian

Eric Swingler, Left tackle, Munster (walk-on.  so much for 'D1 offers' meaning anything)

Matt McCann, Right Tackle, Bishop Chatard

And these are just the starters!  And they all played well, especially the three OLinemen, considering how many passes they threw and how clean Sindelar stayed most of the night.  This doesn't even take into account key back-ups and the multitude of freshman on the team from Indiana.  This is a program on the rise (hopefully their coach sticks around a few more years) seemingly built on the backs of our Indiana boys!  We're doing alright.

• Upvote 4

51 minutes ago, RegionFan said:

Everyone wringing their hands about Indiana high school football, I thought it was interesting watching Purdue pull out a nice win over Arizona in their bowl game last night.  For those interested:

Markell Jones, RB, Columbus East

Gelen Robinson, DT, leader in TFL, Lake Central

Joe Schopper, punter, Indy Cathedral

Jackson Anthrop, WR/KR/PR, Lafayette Central Catholic

Jacob Thieneman, Safety (nice pick to end the game), Guerin Catholic

Ben Makowski, Long Snapper, Penn

Kirk Barron, Center, Mishawaka Marian

Eric Swingler, Left tackle, Munster (walk-on.  so much for 'D1 offers' meaning anything)

Matt McCann, Right Tackle, Bishop Chatard

And these are just the starters!  And they all played well, especially the three OLinemen, considering how many passes they threw and how clean Sindelar stayed most of the night.  This doesn't even take into account key back-ups and the multitude of freshman on the team from Indiana.  This is a program on the rise (hopefully their coach sticks around a few more years) seemingly built on the backs of our Indiana boys!  We're doing alright.

I think Thieneman also has a younger brother who also went to Guerin who plays for Purdue too ... I think he plays safety as well.

5 hours ago, RegionFan said:

And they all played well, especially the three OLinemen, considering how many passes they threw and how clean Sindelar stayed most of the night. 

They did a phenomenal job considering the all out blitz tactic AU was pulling at the end.  

• Upvote 1

We should see Purdue in the Big Ten Championship game soon.  That will be a real treat for Boiler fans at Lucas Oil.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

57 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

We should see Purdue in the Big Ten Championship game soon.  That will be a real treat for Boiler fans at Lucas Oil.  

Define “soon.”

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The Kool-aid is tasting pretty good and certainly things have turned around, but Arizona ain't Wisconsin.  That's a much bigger hurdle and a program that Purdue should be trying to model at least in regards to incoming talent development.  Wisconsin similarly doesn't land the blue chippers that OSU, Mich, Penn St., MSU get but still wins and competes at a high level year in and year out by red shirting young guys, working hard in the weight room and playing a lot of 4th and 5th year guys.  

Big Ten West got better this year and continues to in the off season, so the sledding ain't getting easier.  Nebraska will be high level with the hiring of Scott Frost; Northwestern is going to be consistent in who they are, which is pretty good; Iowa isn't getting worse and Wisconsin is the top dog on that side.  Plus with crossover games vs. OSU and MSU next year, perspective may be important for fans.  

That being said, there's a lot to be excited about with the program.  

The west is still by far the best place for Purdue to play.  It will take some time to turn the Nebraska program.  Wont happen overnite.  Purdue is already close to Iowa/Northwestern level, and may be better on paper than both Illinois and Minnesota.  Wisconsin has benefited from a weak BT West schedule and they have drawn a decent cross over schedule as well.  Given this years results, and the near misses, Purdue will likely set an internal goal of 9 to 10 wins next year.  Could very well happen.

• Haha 1

Parents want their sons college football years to be more successful ones steer them away from  IU and Purdue.

13 hours ago, Night Hawk said:

Purdue could also very easily be 0-5 to start next year.

I could also not win the Powerball this weekend. Purdue's first 5 games are as follows: 

Northwestern (home)

Eastern Michigan (home)

Missouri (home)

Boston College (home) 

Nebraska (away)

I feel worst case scenario is 3-2.

Dt, you state MC and Laporte top two programs in DAC, yet Valpo. has won DAC last 2 of 3 years. Did you notice Valpo beat both laporte and MC last year?  Certainly Valpo favored next year 2.  What you think of their coaching  situation?  They will be good next year too.

10 hours ago, rafterman said:

Dt, you state MC and Laporte top two programs in DAC, yet Valpo. has won DAC last 2 of 3 years. Did you notice Valpo beat both laporte and MC last year?  Certainly Valpo favored next year 2.  What you think of their coaching  situation?  They will be good next year too.

I wonder when Merrillville and Lake Central will get their acts together.

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, rafterman said:

The coaching is much better at MC and Laporte.  Both schools have better post season prospects in 5A, as Valpo is totally blocked by Penn in 6A.  MC has had a boatload of individual talent over the past several years, and Laporte runs a unique system that gives them several competitive advantages.  

The 3 schools are very close competitively, but Valpo is in flux due to the uncertainty with the coaching situation.  

I would also suspect that both Dave Sharpe and Phil Mason are high on the lists of schools looking for new head coaches this offseason.  Expect more changes coming down the road soon.

27 minutes ago, bobref said:

I wonder when Merrillville and Lake Central will get their acts together.

Both need to hire established coaches with a winning pedigree and proven track record of success.  Until that happens, expect continued mediocrity.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect much out of either.  Football is not nearly as important at these schools as it was 5 or 10 years ago.  It shows in the results over the most recent seasons.  

Edited by DrivenT

Posted (edited)
On 1/6/2018 at 7:09 AM, DrivenT said:

The coaching is much better at MC and Laporte.  Both schools have better post season prospects in 5A, as Valpo is totally blocked by Penn in 6A.  MC has had a boatload of individual talent over the past several years, and Laporte runs a unique system that gives them several competitive advantages.  

The 3 schools are very close competitively, but Valpo is in flux due to the uncertainty with the coaching situation.  

I would also suspect that both Dave Sharpe and Phil Mason are high on the lists of schools looking for new head coaches this offseason.  Expect more changes coming down the road soon.

Both need to hire established coaches with a winning pedigree and proven track record of success.  Until that happens, expect continued mediocrity.

Unfortunately, I wouldn't expect much out of either.  Football is not nearly as important at these schools as it was 5 or 10 years ago.  It shows in the results over the most recent seasons.  

Dave Coyle and Brett St. Germaine would make a great addition to coach Mason's staff at Michigan City.  Coyle was Valpo's defensive coordinator under Mark Hoffman before he finally hung it up in 2011 and coming from Mishawaka he is familiar the the Michiana teams which would be a bonus come tournament time, he could also take over head coaching duties for the Wolves baseball team.  Becides student athletes and parents at MCHS full understand of they are absent from school during the day the ineligible to participate in their extra curricular activity and the end of the day and we have uniformed police school resource officers in place to handle those situations.

St. Germaine would make a great offensive coordinator for the Wolves and him and Phil Mason share a kinship both winning a state championship and Andrean.

Both Coyle and St. Germaine would fit into Mason's success model of which of former head coaches from other schools which includes four former head coaches and athletic directors from other schools (Richards - East Chicago, Morton AD, Bye - Elston, MCHS, Highland, Gault - River Forest and Clark and Maurek - Lake Station).

I would much rather have our area coaching talent remain here than go across the state line and join Buzea's staff at Homewood-Flossmoor.

It would be a shame to break up Mason and Richards at Michigan City because the two of them are very close friends and it is just my observation have a very strong coaching chemistry together.  Great article prior to the semi-state game with Kokomo.

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_860a053e-c787-5b49-8c25-01c227817ba4.html

Edited by tommy

On 12/30/2017 at 10:49 AM, Boilernation said:

I could also not win the Powerball this weekend. Purdue's first 5 games are as follows: 

Northwestern (home)

Eastern Michigan (home)

Missouri (home)

Boston College (home) 

Nebraska (away)

I feel worst case scenario is 3-2.

They should be able to beat Eastern, Mizzery and BC, Northwestern and Neb are toss ups. So I see 3-2 or possibly 4-1

5 hours ago, tommy said:

Dave Coyle and Brett St. Germaine would make a great addition to coach Mason's staff at Michigan City.  Coyle was Valpo's defensive coordinator under Mark Hoffman before he finally hung it up in 2011 and coming from Mishawaka he is familiar the the Michiana teams which would be a bonus come tournament time, he could also take over head coaching duties for the Wolves baseball team.  Becides student athletes and parents at MCHS full understand of they are absent from school during the day the ineligible to participate in their extra curricular activity and the end of the day and we have uniformed police school resource officers in place to handle those situations.

St. Germaine would make a great offensive coordinator for the Wolves and him and Phil Mason share a kinship both winning a state championship and Andrean.

Both Coyle and St. Germaine would fit into Mason's success model of which of former head coaches from other schools which includes four former head coaches and athletic directors from other schools (Richards - East Chicago, Morton AD, Bye - Elston, MCHS, Highland, Gault - River Forest and Clark and Maurek - Lake Station).

I would much rather have our area coaching talent remain here than go across the state line and join Buzea's staff at Homewood-Flossmoor.

It would be a shame to break up Mason and Richards at Michigan City because the two of them are very close friends and it is just my observation have a very strong coaching chemistry together.  Great article prior to the semi-state game with Kokomo.

http://www.thenewsdispatch.com/sports/article_860a053e-c787-5b49-8c25-01c227817ba4.html

Tommy

Tommy   Are you anticipating changes at changes at MC

5 hours ago, tommy said:

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Tommy   Are you anticipating changes at changes at MC

I don't think so for 2018.  MC has quite a few good players coming back and are poised to make another solid run in both the DAC and the tournament.  DAC schools always runs in talent cycles. 2019 will bring heavy graduation losses and the talent well is going to run dry.  The tournament trail gets tougher after the next reclassification with Snider bumping back down to 5A,, Lowell possibly bumpng up to 5A and an enrollment spike at Mishawaka could be 5A too.

Also depends on who takes over at Valpo.  The schools website has the principals job posted on their website but the head football coach job has been taken down,

Edited by tommy

Nothing has been announced and this is not where we talk names 

So refrain in the future until any announcement is made.   

The ole " I heard that XYZ is going to be the new head coach" has always been bad form here.   

Thanks 

Congratulations, you may NOW talk about it since it has OFFICIALLY been announced.   

You do not get a prize for being 1st to announce prior to schools/print media announcing.   but if you want the "credit" for saying something first, then congratulations.

Of course I was given the name last week too, but hey, I have earned my cookies for the month already.  :17_v: 

This policy has been in place since the inception of this website by its founder over 15 years ago.