Sign in to follow this  
bobref

Sitting Out Bowl Games

Again this year we are seeing players who have decided to safeguard their NFL draft status by sitting out the Bowl game and avoiding the risk of injury. I can see the "business decision" aspect, but I think we are missing the other side of the coin. Call me old-fashioned, but those players whose draft stock is high enough to put them in this dilemma are being selfish. They didn't get to that lofty position on their own talent alone, despite how great their pro potential might be. Those teammates who are playing in that bowl game helped put them in that position. The bowl game might not mean anything to those elite players, but it does mean something to those players who are not going to be going on to the NFL. For many, this will be their last time suiting up. Don't those elite players owe their teammates something? It's a hard decision, because there is so much money involved. Get an insurance policy to hedge your bets, and play.

• Thanks 1

Harsh reality for the less fortunate. But it is the trending norm. Im not sold either way, glad I don't have a horse in the race. It is easy to argue either way when it doesn't effect you personally. Hell,I wish they would make college B-Ball players stay in school for 3 years. That's how old fashioned my thoughts are.

• Downvote 1

8 hours ago, bobref said:

Again this year we are seeing players who have decided to safeguard their NFL draft status by sitting out the Bowl game and avoiding the risk of injury. I can see the "business decision" aspect, but I think we are missing the other side of the coin. Call me old-fashioned, but those players whose draft stock is high enough to put them in this dilemma are being selfish. They didn't get to that lofty position on their own talent alone, despite how great their pro potential might be. Those teammates who are playing in that bowl game helped put them in that position. The bowl game might not mean anything to those elite players, but it does mean something to those players who are not going to be going on to the NFL. For many, this will be their last time suiting up. Don't those elite players owe their teammates something? It's a hard decision, because there is so much money involved. Get an insurance policy to hedge your bets, and play.

After seeing what happened to former Notre Dame star Jaylon Smith in a completely meaningless bowl game, I absolutely 100% agree with a players decision to sit out and protect his professional future.

Smith will NEVER reach his full athletic potential due to the injury he suffered.  

Keep in mind , we see the same thing every year in the Indiana North - South All Star game.  The best players sit out, usually at the request of their new collegiate head coach, to eliminate the possibility of injury.

Also, these bowl games are less about individual players and more about the university itself, its alumni and supporters, Warm weather vacations and generating cash for the participating schools.  

This will become a real story when a student - athlete decides to sit out a "playoff" game, for fear of damaging his NFL future.

14 hours ago, DrivenT said:

After seeing what happened to former Notre Dame star Jaylon Smith in a completely meaningless bowl game, I absolutely 100% agree with a players decision to sit out and protect his professional future.

Smith will NEVER reach his full athletic potential due to the injury he suffered.  

Keep in mind , we see the same thing every year in the Indiana North - South All Star game.  The best players sit out, usually at the request of their new collegiate head coach, to eliminate the possibility of injury.

Also, these bowl games are less about individual players and more about the university itself, its alumni and supporters, Warm weather vacations and generating cash for the participating schools.  

This will become a real story when a student - athlete decides to sit out a "playoff" game, for fear of damaging his NFL future.

I don’t disagree with you, and would never condemn a player for taking care of his business. Many players come from relatively distressed circumstances, and an NFL contract can be a life altering event for their family. But I’d like to think that, speaking only for myself, I’d have a very difficult time abandoning teammates I’ve sweated and bled with through several years.

i also agree with you that not all post-season games are created equal. I think the “real story” will come, not when someone elects to sit out a playoff game, since I don’t see that happening, but when a star player’s team is sitting at 2-4 midway through the season, is out of the running for conference honors or a tier 1 bowl game, and he decides to shut it down to protect his draft status.

i also agree with you on the tragic story of Jaylon Smith. But I heard an interview with him the other day in which he said that he’d do the same thing all over again. Playing that final game with his teammates meant that much to him.

Edited by bobref
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, bobref said:

I don’t disagree with you, and would never condemn a player for taking care of his business. Many players come from relatively distressed circumstances, and an NFL contract can be a life altering event for their family. But I’d like to think that, speaking only for myself, I’d have a very difficult time abandoning teammates I’ve sweated and bled with through several years.

i also agree with you that not all post-season games are created equal. I think the “real story” will come, not when someone elects to sit out a playoff game, since I don’t see that happening, but when a star player’s team is sitting at 2-4 midway through the season, is out of the running for conference honors or a tier 1 bowl game, and he decides to shut it down to protect his draft status.

i also agree with you on the tragic story of Jaylon Smith. But I heard an interview with him the other day in which he said that he’d do the same thing all over again. Playing that final game with his teammates meant that much to him.

I've watched the replay of that injury several times and I cringe every time I see it.  It was very subtle, but did terrible damage.  Smith is speaking from his heart, not his head, when he says he would do the same thing all over again.  The physical and mental agony must have been immense.  

The new playoff - bowl setup is great for the 4 teams that make the tournament.  It has unfortunately significantly devalued all of the non playoff bowl games to a point where interest is declining rapidly.  I hope we don't see the same type of apathy hit the college game that has certainly taken a toll on the pro game.  Ohio State and USC are prepping for a matchup in the Cotton Bowl.  Does anybody really care?  I'm not sure anymore.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

I've watched the replay of that injury several times and I cringe every time I see it.  It was very subtle, but did terrible damage.  Smith is speaking from his heart, not his head, when he says he would do the same thing all over again.  The physical and mental agony must have been immense.  

The new playoff - bowl setup is great for the 4 teams that make the tournament.  It has unfortunately significantly devalued all of the non playoff bowl games to a point where interest is declining rapidly.  I hope we don't see the same type of apathy hit the college game that has certainly taken a toll on the pro game.  Ohio State and USC are prepping for a matchup in the Cotton Bowl.  Does anybody really care?  I'm not sure anymore.  

Or maybe he's a really good guy and millions of dollars don't mean everything to him.

23 minutes ago, Andy G said:

Or maybe he's a really good guy and millions of dollars don't mean everything to him.

Who in their right mind would make that choice?

23 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Who in their right mind would make that choice?

You would be surprised. Money isn't everything.

It'll be interesting to see what the UCLA QB Josh Rosen does. He sat out their bowl game, supposedly hadn't cleared the concussion protocol after having been injured a month ago. Depending on who you talk to, he's one of the top 3 QBs in the draft ... if he comes out. Interesting because he comes from a very well-to-do family and, presumably, there's not the same economic pressure on him that others might feel. DT, he might test that theory that, for some, it's not all about the money.

5 hours ago, bobref said:

It'll be interesting to see what the UCLA QB Josh Rosen does. He sat out their bowl game, supposedly hadn't cleared the concussion protocol after having been injured a month ago. Depending on who you talk to, he's one of the top 3 QBs in the draft ... if he comes out. Interesting because he comes from a very well-to-do family and, presumably, there's not the same economic pressure on him that others might feel. DT, he might test that theory that, for some, it's not all about the money.

The rumor in Cleveland is Rosen will consider "allowing" the Browns to draft him under the condition that former UCLA Head Coach Jim Mora takes over and the Bruin OC comes along for the ride.

John Elway redux  :07_v:

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

The rumor in Cleveland is Rosen will consider "allowing" the Browns to draft him under the condition that former UCLA Head Coach Jim Mora takes over and the Bruin OC comes along for the ride.

John Elway redux  :07_v:

No way that would turn out to be a disaster.  

I really hope you’re kidding.  That has disaster written all over it, but it would be nearly impossible for the Browns to get worse.  Hope they use all those draft choices wisely.

23 hours ago, DrivenT said:

I guess we'll have to disagree on this one.  

That's the biggest problem with our country right now. Greed.

19 minutes ago, Andy G said:

That's the biggest problem with our country right now. Greed.

It's not an issue of greed.

It's about protecting one's professional future.  Would you take an unnecessary risk if the possibility of failure resulted in your inability to take care of your family financially?

That's not greed.  It's good common sense.

What about the trickle down effect?  Kids deciding once they commit to a college to shut down their sr year and skip the playoffs for fear of injury and getting the scholly pulled before they get injured, I mean in some respects it is the same thing correct?