Sign in to follow this  
LHSFan11

Graber Post Classic Review

Some things I took from the Graber Post:

1. FW Blackhawk is the biggest 1A team I have ever seen. They started a 6'6", 6'8", and a 6'9". Also they have a 6'11" player that will be eligible in January. After watching them this past weekend, I would say that they are my favorite to win the State. A team would have to shoot the lights out and hope for Blackhawk to get into foul trouble and have an off night for them to beat them. They should ou rebound every 1A team in the state, easily. Not to mention they have a very athletic skilled PG running the show. 

2. Barr-Reeve is a young team that will have a very good next few years. Keegan O'Neill is a solid big for them. He played very well throughout the tournament, and looked much more athletic than last year. He is sort of soft at times, but I look for him to be more physical as he is only a Sophmore. Gabe Gladish is their biggest threat, he can shoot it from anywhere, he's very quick, and looks like he put on about 15 pounds of muscle this past off season. BR needs to get him more open looks though. He had to take a lot of tough shots against Loogootee and Blackhawk.

3. Loogootee is improving. After a rough start to the season, they looked like they have turned it up a bit. The game against Barr-Reeve was theirs for the taking, but came down to inexperience and mental mistakes. They missed quite a few free throws, rushed shots in the 4th Qtr, and gave up an offensive rebound that basically sealed the deal. With that being said, I would not count them out of winning the sectional by any means. They didn't play their best against BR, but they will host the Vikings in the next matchup, and in the sectional if they meet them. Against Brownstown Central, they looked much better. The 6'5" freshman Silus Bauer is looking like he is getting better as he gets more experience. Jayden Wagoner is their biggest threat, and did a good job taking advantage of smaller guards in the paint. He needs to have a little better shot selection, but overall he played very well in the tournament. The biggest thing for Loogootee right now is getting more experience, and they need better leadership from their older players.

4. North Daviess is a lot better than I expected them to be. They have a couple long athletic players that play very well around the basket. The Jasper transfer is helping then tremendously, although he was wheeled off the court in a wheelchair in their last game of the tournament. Hopefully for them he recovers quickly.

Good attendance for the three days. Very good for the final game considering Ft Wayne wasn't going to bring many fans.

Well run as always. Great job with keeping on schedule. The only really bad game to watch was Clay City and North Daviess.

South Knox played well except against the BR zone. If they improve their zone offense they have a shot to repeat as sectional champs.

Even though they lost twice, I thought Pike Central showed potential.

Loogootee had a good tourney. They looked really good vs Brownstown. Bauer is going to be very good. It would help him to take just a beat longer to get his legs under him and square up when he gets it in the post.

I didn't like much about North Daviess, including the way they all just seemed to ignore Wininger after he was hurt.

Clay City should drop this tourney.

Brownstown isn't really good, but considering they are small, not quick, don't have shooters, they are amazingly good. Nobody competes better than them.

Barr-Reeve didn't really play well again. They have only had one game where they hit on all cylinders (Linton). I'm sure they will keep plugging away at it. Quentin Yoder is too good on the glass and in the post not to get minutes somehow.

Fort Wayne Blackhawk: Just loads of length and talent. They have the raw ability to win a championship, but they need to get better defensively. The need to move their feet better and stop reaching. They also need to adjust to the officiating and stop reacting to calls made against them. They had 10+ fouls in the first quarter and they were almost all bad fouls. Those sorts of fouls may not always be whistled but they will be in tournament games somewhere along the line. I would think they would be effective with trapping defenses and some zone as well. At least have that in the arsenal. Offensively they were just terrific, although surely they don't always shoot the ball like they did in this tournament.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

The Graber Post Classic is a guarantee for great games every year. 

Loogootee gave us the most exciting games in my opinion. Loogootee let the Barr-Reeve game slip away from them. The Loogootee-Brownstown Central game was very exciting. Great win for the Lions. 

Can someone post the individuals that made the All-Tournament Team?

Edited by No Punt Intended

Posted (edited)

It was:

Berry   N Daviess

Nalley    Pike Central

Justin Fickling    S Knox

Wagoner    Loogootee

Gladish, ONeil    Barr-Reeve

Donaldson, Furst, Davidson, Mull Blackhawk

Mull was the MVP

Not sure I agree with a couple of those.

Edited by Taps Browning

On 12/31/2017 at 3:23 PM, Taps Browning said:

Good attendance for the three days. Very good for the final game considering Ft Wayne wasn't going to bring many fans.

Well run as always. Great job with keeping on schedule. The only really bad game to watch was Clay City and North Daviess.

South Knox played well except against the BR zone. If they improve their zone offense they have a shot to repeat as sectional champs.

Even though they lost twice, I thought Pike Central showed potential.

Loogootee had a good tourney. They looked really good vs Brownstown. Bauer is going to be very good. It would help him to take just a beat longer to get his legs under him and square up when he gets it in the post.

I didn't like much about North Daviess, including the way they all just seemed to ignore Wininger after he was hurt.

Clay City should drop this tourney.

Brownstown isn't really good, but considering they are small, not quick, don't have shooters, they are amazingly good. Nobody competes better than them.

Barr-Reeve didn't really play well again. They have only had one game where they hit on all cylinders (Linton). I'm sure they will keep plugging away at it. Quentin Yoder is too good on the glass and in the post not to get minutes somehow.

Fort Wayne Blackhawk: Just loads of length and talent. They have the raw ability to win a championship, but they need to get better defensively. The need to move their feet better and stop reaching. They also need to adjust to the officiating and stop reacting to calls made against them. They had 10+ fouls in the first quarter and they were almost all bad fouls. Those sorts of fouls may not always be whistled but they will be in tournament games somewhere along the line. I would think they would be effective with trapping defenses and some zone as well. At least have that in the arsenal. Offensively they were just terrific, although surely they don't always shoot the ball like they did in this tournament.

Barr-Reeve is something of an enigma to me. They play well against decent 2A teams like Linton and South Knox, yet they struggled to beat middling 1A teams Orleans and Dubois by 3 points each. 

Now Blackhawk is a "different animal" so to speak...as you said "loads of length and talent" (that you typically don't see at the 1A level, but that's a whole other topic.) But Blackhawk's the type of team Barr-Reeve needs to be able to beat if they're to win another state title.

Perhaps the Vikings would have been just as well off staying in 2A? (tongue in cheek rhetorical question ;- )

8 hours ago, ts32 said:

Barr-Reeve is something of an enigma to me. They play well against decent 2A teams like Linton and South Knox, yet they struggled to beat middling 1A teams Orleans and Dubois by 3 points each. 

Now Blackhawk is a "different animal" so to speak...as you said "loads of length and talent" (that you typically don't see at the 1A level, but that's a whole other topic.) But Blackhawk's the type of team Barr-Reeve needs to be able to beat if they're to win another state title.

Perhaps the Vikings would have been just as well off staying in 2A? (tongue in cheek rhetorical question ;- )

This BR team is not state championship caliber this year, but at least in terms of the very top teams 1A is better than 2A this year. By that I mean Indianapolis Tindley and Fort Wayne Blackhawk are better than the top 2A teams. 

Teams that want to play slow can stay close to BR (Orleans, Dubois) because BR doesn't have the ability to speed them up. Also, Dubois is better than their record would indicate. They have some pretty good, quick, guards.

The BR schedule is much tougher in the 2nd half. Look for them to take some bumps.

15 hours ago, Taps Browning said:

at least in terms of the very top teams 1A is better than 2A this year. By that I mean Indianapolis Tindley and Fort Wayne Blackhawk are better than the top 2A teams. 

Definitely agree