Sign in to follow this  
SmallTown

Sectional 63

We are at about mid-season and here is my early sectional 63 preview (also thought this may generate some ongoing discussion on this board).

1. Barr-Reeve 12-1   3-0 vs sectional opponents

At this point BR is the favorite with having beaten all of the best challengers for this sectional. If BR shares the ball like they did against Linton and Shoals then they will be hard to beat.  Ainscough is the x-factor for me, if he shoots well and scores that frees things up for Gladish and Oneil and keeps the defense honest.

2. Loogootee 5-8   0-2 vs sectional opponents

The Lions played BR close on a neutral court and have the best chance of upsetting the Vikings during sectional (@Loogootee).  Wagoner has been putting the team on his back but will need help from the other guards to beat BR. After seeing the Dearwester kid last year I thought he'd be having a better year than what he is currently having.

3. Orleans 5-8   0-1 vs sectional opponents

Orleans is the newcomer to this sectional.  I put the Bulldogs at this spot because of their coach, Tom Bradley, and how they played BR.  They slowed it down against the Vikings and only lost by 3 at BR.  They will get a chance to move up a spot next week when they play the Lions at Loogootee.

4. Shoals 5-8    2-1 vs sectional opponents

The Jug Rox would have been higher on my list until the BR game, being down by 20 on your home floor at half time doesn't cut it.  I know they beat Loogootee but I don't think they could beat them for a second time in the same year (but would love to see this match up in sectional). The Tichenor kid is a nice player (too bad the Bauer kid didn't stay to play beside him).

5. Vincennes Rivet 7-5    1-0 vs sectional opponents

Rivet's record is better than most teams above but they have played a very weak schedule and all their wins are against bad teams. They have the Lions coming to town this weekend and will have a better idea where they stand.

6. Washington Catholic 0-10    0-2 vs sectional opponents

It will be an early exit for the Cardinals from sectional no matter who they play. With the low student numbers and bad sports teams that won't attract any kids it is hard for me to see WC staying open much longer.

I think you are pretty much spot on. BR is surely the favorite but definitely not an overwhelming one. 

BR is not able to turn over teams that want to slow it down which leaves them open to being upset by either Orleans or Loogootee. 

Edited by Taps Browning

I haven't seen much from the Southwest this year, but from the write-up it sounds like one of those sectionals where the draw will be important.  BR may be favored in any game they play, but slip up if they have to beat three contenders back-to-back.  Thanks for the post.

I agree with most of what SmallTowns assessment. I don’t think there is much question that BR is the favorite, unless more injuries pop up. They have had some marginal wins against lack luster opponents, but they have also had some really nice wins against some pretty good teams. I think they are starting to find their stride since Ft. Wayne Blackhawk.  Ainscough is looking much better over the last 3 games as he continues to get healthy since he sprained his MCL against Dubois. He’s averaging 11ppg, 6reb, 2 blk, and 8-14 from 3pt range and looking more explosive jumping. I think Gladish is back to 100% again also. Then you have the 4 or 5 different lineups coach Hughes has used. It looks like coach Hughes has finally decided on his starting 5.  This should help more with chemistry. Now with that being said anything can happen in any game. I just haven’t been real impressed with Loogootee or Orleans in the games I’ve watched besides the Loogootee vs Brownstown game, but both teams have played BR well in the past.

There is also the intangible that more than likely BR will have to beat Loogootee three times in the same season. Certainly BR knows the difficulty of that from last year.

If the “blind” draw works out like it usually does then Loogootee and Barr-Reeve will meet in a first round matchup. 

1. Barr-Reeve: BR lost for just the second time and now has two tough road games this week at Jasper and at Loogootee.  Surely they won't lose 3 in a row, that hasn't happened since the 03-04 season (history note: that's the team that lost the consecutive winning season streak).

2. Loogootee: The Lions host Orleans and BR and should see where they stand in the sectional field.  Dearwester was out with an injury last game but Loogootee had other guys step up in the Rivet game in Harder and Pendley.

3. Orleans: The Bulldogs are coming off a 20 point win against ND and look to move up the rankings with a game at Loogootee.

4. Vinceness Rivet: The Patriots played Loogootee close and were leading at halftime.  They play Wood Memorial this week which will probably mean their 4th loss in a row.

5. Shoals: The Jug Rox followed up their disappointing loss to the Vikings with a 27 point loss to South Knox at home.  Things don't get any easier when they host Paoli which is probably better than both SK and BR.  I'm beginning to think they are satisfied with just beating Loogootee during the season.

6. Washington Catholic: Don't look for WC to move from the bottom spot, they play at Wood tonight. After looking at their remaining schedule, they will be lucky to win 1 game this season.

6 hours ago, SmallTown said:

1. Barr-Reeve: BR lost for just the second time and now has two tough road games this week at Jasper and at Loogootee.  Surely they won't lose 3 in a row, that hasn't happened since the 03-04 season (history note: that's the team that lost the consecutive winning season streak).

2. Loogootee: The Lions host Orleans and BR and should see where they stand in the sectional field.  Dearwester was out with an injury last game but Loogootee had other guys step up in the Rivet game in Harder and Pendley.

3. Orleans: The Bulldogs are coming off a 20 point win against ND and look to move up the rankings with a game at Loogootee.

4. Vinceness Rivet: The Patriots played Loogootee close and were leading at halftime.  They play Wood Memorial this week which will probably mean their 4th loss in a row.

5. Shoals: The Jug Rox followed up their disappointing loss to the Vikings with a 27 point loss to South Knox at home.  Things don't get any easier when they host Paoli which is probably better than both SK and BR.  I'm beginning to think they are satisfied with just beating Loogootee during the season.

6. Washington Catholic: Don't look for WC to move from the bottom spot, they play at Wood tonight. After looking at their remaining schedule, they will be lucky to win 1 game this season.

I think Shoals wanted to hang a banner after beating Loogootee earlier in the season and forgot they had more games left. They have fell off the radar big time which isn't unexpected, I have been trying to tell people I didn't think they were any good. With Loogootee it is my opinion they play better when the Dearwester kid isn't on the floor so I think it was good to get Harder and Pendley a little more playing time over this past weekend. It should be a good week of basketball at JBA.  

What has happened to Washington Catholic over the last few years? They used to be a real factor in basketball and soccer. I know these things can be cyclical, but they seemed to have fallen off the map. 

Well, they are the worst team in the IHSAA this year. That is about as far as you can fall.

Washington is probably now too small to really have a Catholic high school. Washington high school is much smaller than it used to be too.

It's just numbers really. I'm not sure how many students WC has this year - well less than 100 I would guess. Unless you have some sort of hot shot recruiting coach you can't expect to have much of a team with that number to pick from. 

After the Orleans Loogootee game last night I'm even more excited about the addition of Orleans to the sectional. Now on to Loogootee, I really like Pendley getting the start as I feel he is the second best guard on the team behind Waggoner. The Harder kid got some good minutes and I would also like to see more of him and less of the junior guards. Silas Bauer is playing far beyond what I thought he would as a freshman. As for Orleans they played really physical, I think they just need to get some offensive production from a third player and they will be a handful. 

3 hours ago, Ltown said:

After the Orleans Loogootee game last night I'm even more excited about the addition of Orleans to the sectional. Now on to Loogootee, I really like Pendley getting the start as I feel he is the second best guard on the team behind Waggoner. The Harder kid got some good minutes and I would also like to see more of him and less of the junior guards. Silas Bauer is playing far beyond what I thought he would as a freshman. As for Orleans they played really physical, I think they just need to get some offensive production from a third player and they will be a handful. 

From the sound of it this game could have went either way.  I agree I like the addition of Orleans to the sectional, the number of competitive games in the last few years has been down and this should help. 

As far as the junior guards, that probably is not going to happen with who they are.  Dearwester is too good of a shooter not to see playing time but I think he tends to dribble too much.  In my opinion still a better option than Pendley. 

The coach’s kid has gotten better but he should with this being his third year of varsity action when in reality this should be his first year of varsity and at a limited role.  I do agree the Harder kid should see more minutes than him.

On 2/2/2018 at 2:44 PM, SmallTown said:

From the sound of it this game could have went either way.  I agree I like the addition of Orleans to the sectional, the number of competitive games in the last few years has been down and this should help. 

As far as the junior guards, that probably is not going to happen with who they are.  Dearwester is too good of a shooter not to see playing time but I think he tends to dribble too much.  In my opinion still a better option than Pendley. 

The coach’s kid has gotten better but he should with this being his third year of varsity action when in reality this should be his first year of varsity and at a limited role.  I do agree the Harder kid should see more minutes than him.

I disagree that Dearwester is a better option than Pendley. Pendley doesn't turn the ball over like Dearwester, Pendley also plays way better defense, and I don't think 1 for 8 behind the arc is good shooting. 

I agree with Ltown, Pendley should be playing more minute's. He hustles as soon as he steps on the court, hopefully by next year he will be a starter. I see him only getting better from here on out. Silas is playing some good basketball and I feel they need to feed him the ball more, especially if the Lions are not hitting from deep. I feel if the Lions play like they did Saturday they have a great shot at winning the whole thing. 

I'll admit that I may be wrong on this one and I'm sure I've not seen near the number of Loogootee games that you guys have.  But regardless I still don't see the coach not playing the two juniors most of the minutes.

1. Barr-Reeve 16-3: After the loss to PC, BR has won @ Loogootee, @ Jasper, @ South Knox & an OT loss @ Evansville Memorial. 3 of their last 4 games will be tough but should get them ready for the tournament.

2. Loogootee 8-10: Played BR close again but still got beat.  This could go either way and give them more confidence knowing that the first game wasn't a fluke or hang their heads thinking they can't beat them. A bad loss to Mitchell the game after BR wasn't a good indication but they have some winnable games to end their season.

3. Orleans 9-11: Two losses in a row against good teams but beat Mitchell by 10 which beat the Lions by 12 @ Loogootee.  They have a big game this weekend against Shoals.

4. Shoals 8-10: The Jug Rox followed a brutal 4 game stretch with 3 wins, one of which was to a good Springs Valley team.  Things don't get any easier when they travel to Dubois tomorrow night followed by a game at Orleans this weekend.

5. Vincennes Rivet 7-10: After a 6 game losing streak things don't get any easier for the Patriots this week against South Know and Barr-Reeve. (On a positive note for Rivet, the girls picked up another Regional title this past weekend)

6. Washington Catholic 0-18: WC has 4 games remaining but only 1 winnable game this Saturday against Medora.

I’m looking forward to the sectional draw this Sunday, should be more important than in recent years.

Great draw for the Lions. Can Shoals/Orleans pull the big upset? Doubtful be we will see.

First to give out a few congratulations to some teams/players in the sectional 63 field:

- Jayden Wagoner scored his 1000th point over the weekend

- WC picked up its first win of the season

- BR guaranteed itself at least a share of the Blue Chip with a win over Rivet

As for the draw, Loogootee by far got the best draw just for the fact that they have the easiest road to the championship game.  Whoever comes out of the other side of the bracket may have the advantage with being the most tested and actually having played in a meaningful sectional game. 

It is interesting to look at a team’s chances to win a sectional based off of the draw.  Take for example Shoals, if they are put in Loogootee’s spot then their chance of winning just increased tremendously because they only have to upset one team to win a sectional instead of 3 teams like they currently sit.

Barr-Reeve has been playing pretty well of late. They still seem to play to the level of the opponent, as they did not look good against Rivet.

Shoals had a nice win at Mitchell, and their win a couple of weeks ago against Springs Valley was a good one. It is going to be nearly impossible to convince the BR players that Shoals is capable of beating them. There is always a huge upset somewhere on day one of the tourney, could it be this game?  I doubt it.

I think BR has had some players improve a lot over the course of the season. O'Neil is much tougher and better than he was early on. Ainscough has had some outstanding games in the latter part of the season. Isaac Wagler has improved a lot as well. If BR plays to their capacity they will win the sectional and the regional. 

This should be a really fun sectional to watch.  Looking at the bottom of the bracket Loogootee will be awaiting the winner of WC vs VR.  Dream draw for Loogootee.  Vincennes Rivet will likely be the winner.  Loogootee only defeated VR by 7 back on Jan 27.  So there is a possibility for a couple of big upsets in this sectional.  I like the Shoals team a lot, but this is just not their year.  I dont think the BR vs Shoals game will be a complete blowout like it was during the season but at the same time the JugRox do not matchup well with the Vikings.  The Ainscough kid has finally found some rhythm and the Wagler kid has picked up the intensity which has taken a lot of pressure off the big guy in the middle.  Should BR make it to Orleans in the second round unfortunately I think the fans will get to watch an ugly game of stall ball with BR coming out on top.  The Loogootee Barr-Reeve match up is what most want to see for the 3rd time this year.  I agree that Pendley needs to see more playing time.  He changes the game for the Lions when he is in there.  Hes a good hustle kid.  Ive watched loogootee several times this year and for them to win they must get every one involved (i.e. the GPBT)  In the end I think BR pulls out the championship but not with out a fight. 

I think Taps was right about the Shoals game, no convincing BR players that they would get beat.  Shoals came out firing and were confident early. But give BR credit, they withstood the early run and upped the pressure in the second half. Tichenor had 10 first half points but was held scoreless in the second half.  Gladish came out of his shooting slump which could be huge for the Vikings going forward.

Tonight’s keys for the Vikings are have a good start which may keep Orleans from holding the ball and use the bigs (BR has huge size advantage).  I think BR has gotten better since their first meeting early in the year and look for the Vikings to win this one.

In the second game, the Patriots winning is possible especially if the Lions are already looking ahead to Saturday night. But I just don't see that happening, Lions win by double digits.

Word on the street is Chezem left a senior off the sectional roster. While he has been hurt and not played all year it is still a jerk thing to do in my opinion. Coach Chezem sure isn't making any friends around these parts.

On to the games. I think Orleans will keep it close through the majority of the game, but I see Barr-Reeve pulling the win out. Loogootee has been up and down all year and it would not surprise me to see them lose to Rivet. With that being said I think the Lions pull out an ugly game and move on to Saturday.  

I had heard that but wasn't sure on any details.  I agree not the right thing to do especially to a senior, it's not like he plays 12 deep and needed that extra spot.

Well I nailed my prediction for Friday night let's see if I can do it for Saturday. 

For the championship game I'm torn. Barr-Reeve has won two close games earlier in the season and my head says to go with the Viking, but my heart says Loogootee. So I'm going with the Lions by five in regulation.