Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
bobref

“Fighting Irish” offensive to Irish-Americans?

I guess this was inevitable in today’s climate. Still, I generally like Max Kellerman. But sometimes I forget these guys are entertainers, and often say things just to be controversial and generate discussion.

https://247sports.com/Bolt/Notre-Dame-Fighting-Irish-ESPNs-Max-Kellerman-says-nickname-is-offensive-114455163

Max is going off the deep end.......I do not know a single person of Irish descent that is even remotely offended by the name or the logo. For him to say "many" is a joke.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Max is going off the deep end.......I do not know a single person of Irish descent that is even remotely offended by the name or the logo. For him to say "many" is a joke.

I really like his boxing commentary. But after this ... he’s dead to me.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bobref said:

Botanically, an artichoke is actually a thistle. The part that is consumed is the flower.

You smart guys really grind my gears!!    :06_v::06_v:

17 hours ago, bobref said:

I agree that Kellerman should do some homework, but the author of this article needs to do some homework as well. The year was 1927 that Notre Dame took on the nickname Fighting Irish. Also, I would disagree with lumping the Blackhawks in with other generic names used for Native Americans. Blackhawk refers to one leader in particular, and is more of a tribute to him than some “whimsical depiction”.