Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indianapolis Star Polls Central Indiana Football Coaches On Seeding the IHSAA Tournament

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/07/20/indiana-football-coaches-anonymous-answers-on-seeding-ihsaa-tournament/65375858007/

(Note: story is behind a paywall)

We granted anonymity to high school football coaches in Central Indiana to answer four questions for us before the start of the 2022 football season.

The first: Are you for or against seeding the IHSAA state tournament?

The answer, from the coaches, is a resounding “Yes!” Of the 34 coaches to respond, 28 were in favor, five against and one neutral. Several coaches expanded on their answers, listed below:

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Has any statewide data been collected recently?  One would have to think that central Indy coaches would be heavily in favor but do they speak for the rest of the state?

And of course the million dollar question every time this topic comes up:  HOW?

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Has any statewide data been collected recently?  One would have to think that central Indy coaches would be heavily in favor but do they speak for the rest of the state?

And of course the million dollar question every time this topic comes up:  HOW?

Talk Jeff Sagarin into compiling stats from the first half only, then use his ranking. 

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Of course it is, just like the Fort Wayne newspapers. Too bad they are all left leaning, it's costing them millions. Don't mix business with politics...........it's a death sentence. 

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

Does that incentivize scheduling soft/running up the score?

I would say so. I like the idea of using the ranking, but some coaches will abuse it when already up 35 points. 

• Like 4

39 minutes ago, BTF said:

Talk Jeff Sagarin into compiling stats from the first half only, then use his ranking. 

Sagarin's ELO CHESS ranking does not take into account margin of victory. 

You likely use some combo of Sagarin (especially ELO CHESS) and head-to-head/common opponents. It would not be terribly difficult in most sectionals, especially for the top two and bottom two. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Sagarin's ELO CHESS ranking does not take into account margin of victory. 

You likely use some combo of Sagarin (especially ELO CHESS) and head-to-head/common opponents. It would not be terribly difficult in most sectionals, especially for the top two and bottom two. 

Anything is better than what we have now. I think the IHSAA has the brain capacity to come up with a good solution. 

Remember, the main reason they won't seed is because the basketball coaches want a blind draw and they want to keep all tournaments the same (but they acknowledge football is different when 6A & 5A were smaller classes ... yet went out of their way to kill a proposal to limit 4A in basketball/baseball/volleyball to 64 schools under the same spirit). 

1 minute ago, crimsonace1 said:

Remember, the main reason they won't seed is because the basketball coaches want a blind draw and they want to keep all tournaments the same (but they acknowledge football is different when 6A & 5A were smaller classes ... yet went out of their way to kill a proposal to limit 4A in basketball/baseball/volleyball to 64 schools under the same spirit). 

Why would basketball coaches want a blind draw? Whether it's football or basketball, the two best teams shouldn't meet in the first round. I maintain that overall tournament revenue will go up with a seeded system. But the tournament should be seeded anyway based on principle alone. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Why would basketball coaches want a blind draw? Whether it's football or basketball, the two best teams shouldn't meet in the first round. I maintain that overall tournament revenue will go up with a seeded system. But the tournament should be seeded anyway based on principle alone. 

They like the randomness and unpredictability and tradition of the sectional. 

40 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

They like the randomness and unpredictability and tradition of the sectional. 

That's it?  Could seed the tourney and have a tipoff with a running chainsaw or a rabid raccoon.  That's be pretty unpredictable.

• Haha 2

Back on this topic? 

im still in favor of having the coaches of a regional seed themselves half way and then random draw the rest 

Top 8 teams are voted on and put in a bracket spot ranked 1-8….random draw remaining 8 teams.  

best of both worlds and nobody gets their feelings hurt….AND (now this is the most important part haha) it will increase IHSAA revenue lol 

2 hours ago, WWFan said:

If it's just about best 2 teams meeting in finals just seed top 2 each sectional and random the rest. If "3rd best team" beats #2 in rd 1 well then tough. You weren't 2nd apparently. 

Yep. I’ve been saying this as well. It’s a compromise that gives more than it takes. It keeps things pretty much exactly how they are but it just seeds the top two teams in each sectional and keeps them on opposite sides of the bracket. If the sectional is loaded with three or four good teams then you have the chance of playing the third or fourth best team one round earlier than if you seeded all three or four. One round isn’t a big deal.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Yep. I’ve been saying this as well. It’s a compromise that gives more than it takes. It keeps things pretty much exactly how they are but it just seeds the top two teams in each sectional and keeps them on opposite sides of the bracket. If the sectional is loaded with three or four good teams then you have the chance of playing the third or fourth best team one round earlier than if you seeded all three or four. One round isn’t a big deal.

I'd take a step further and rig home and away too but that's me. Both get home rd 1. 1 seed plays on rd round 2 and 2 seed plays at home. If both make finals 1 seed gets home game. That's just me. 

I will say all this will lead to is down the road the "3rd or 4th" best team will complain if they lose rd 1 to top team and 2 winless teams play and 1 gets to advance. People are always going to whine or nitpick and that's why I don't think it'll ever happen. At the end of the day I don't think what happens in rd 1 or 2 generally matter when it comes to what happens in indy. So it's probably never going to be worth it to them

12 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Back on this topic? 

im still in favor of having the coaches of a regional seed themselves half way and then random draw the rest 

Top 8 teams are voted on and put in a bracket spot ranked 1-8….random draw remaining 8 teams.  

best of both worlds and nobody gets their feelings hurt….AND (now this is the most important part haha) it will increase IHSAA revenue lol 

The IHSAA gets no revenue from the Sectionals. They get almost all the revenue from Regional, Semi-State and State. Its why they have no incentive to devote what little brain power they have to a seeding plan for sectional.  

• Like 2

Hate this possibility.  Blind draw is fun and provides great matchups across the state every week of sectionals, not just the championship weekend.  On top of that, there is no fair way to seed it.  I hope it remains a blind draw forever.  

2 hours ago, XStar said:

Hate this possibility.  Blind draw is fun and provides great matchups across the state every week of sectionals, not just the championship weekend.  On top of that, there is no fair way to seed it.  I hope it remains a blind draw forever.  

As a fan, I tend to agree.

I can’t go to 64 sectional title games as they are all on the same night.

• Like 1

So many people missing the point: speculating about what effect this or that seeding will have on the tournament. The chief benefit of seeding is that it gives more meaning to regular season games. The teams are actually playing for a tangible benefit, which makes the regular season better. That’s why you should not only seed the tournament, but seed all the teams in the sectional, not just the top two.

• Like 5