Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

I don't know if Merrillville is as much of a lock to come out of the North as others believe. Still think they're the favorites but they lost a lot of talent from their team from last year. They have a JV sectional but regionals and semistate won't be easy. Snider is definitely a possibility to be the North representative and FW North is the wildcard in the situation. Factor in Valpo, MC, and Mishawaka as potential dark horses. For the South, I think that DC is the favorite currently but I have heard they lost a good amount talent as well. I think that Harrison could easily be the team that gets to LOS. The sectional matchup between them and DC might decide who gets there. Castle and Evansville North are the potential sleepers I see down South. Overall though, I think that 5A South isn't nearly as deep as the North. I'll go out on a limb here and say that the North will take the 5A crown this year. 

• Like 1

I think Merrillville will have their hands full in the North. Whoever makes it out of the Fort Wayne sectional will be a force to be reckoned with. Snider, Dwenger, and North Side will be battle tested all season long and ready for a deep post season run. Throw in Valpo, Michigan City, and Mishawaka and I find it comical that everyone is calling this the Merrillville show. Two great seasons doesn't always equate to a third. 

14 minutes ago, BTF said:

I think Merrillville will have their hands full in the North. Whoever makes it out of the Fort Wayne sectional will be a force to be reckoned with. Snider, Dwenger, and North Side will be battle tested all season long and ready for a deep post season run. Throw in Valpo, Michigan City, and Mishawaka and I find it comical that everyone is calling this the Merrillville show. Two great seasons doesn't always equate to a third. 

In defense of those people, the Pirates have won 3 straight 6A regionals. I think it is fair to assume they'll be a force moving down to a class that is not nearly as good. But as I said, they are certainly not a lock, and from what I've been seeing, it seems like the Ville is getting a little cocky again, which hasn't done them any favors when push comes to shove these past two years...

1 minute ago, scarab527 said:

In defense of those people, the Pirates have won 3 straight 6A regionals. I think it is fair to assume they'll be a force moving down to a class that is not nearly as good. But as I said, they are certainly not a lock, and from what I've been seeing, it seems like the Ville is getting a little cocky again, which hasn't done them any favors when push comes to shove these past two years...

They will be a force playing schools similar their size.

Not a lock by a long shot. I think this forum has thrown Snider and Dwenger into the "chump" category. If opposing coaches are that dumb, it's game over. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Not saying you aren’t telling the truth but what evidence do you have of cockiness on Merrillville’s part?

Coaches?

Players?

Fans?

5 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

All of the above. Social Media. 

I hope the Pirates are good. They are too good of a program historically to not have a state title to their credit. As long as it's not at the expense of a team from the SAC, I hope they get it done. Valpo is another good program that should have a better shot now that they are playing teams in their own weight class.

13 minutes ago, BTF said:

I hope the Pirates are good. They are too good of a program historically to not have a state title to their credit. As long as it's not at the expense of a team from the SAC, I hope they get it done. Valpo is another good program that should have a better shot now that they are playing teams in their own weight class.

They won a state title during the cluster system in the 70s, but not since the current tournament format has been implemented. One of the few teams statewide with a state title but no semistates. Either way, I think a DAC or SAC team wins 5A this year. 

2 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

They won a state title during the cluster system in the 70s, but not since the current tournament format has been implemented. One of the few teams statewide with a state title but no semistates. Either way, I think a DAC or SAC team wins 5A this year. 

To clarify, the cluster system started in 1983. Prior to that, there was a point system to qualify.m

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

Ring one up for the north? I could go for that. I just can't make an educated reply not knowing much about the south. Posters seem to be high on Whiteland and Decatur Central. 

7 hours ago, BTF said:

Interesting side topic here here, who is best program to never win a title, would that be Merriiiville??

58 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Interesting side topic here here, who is best program to never win a title, would that be Merriiiville??

I was wrong. Merrillville beat Cathedral in 1976 for the state title. Valpo beat Carmel for the state title in 1975.

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

My 5A top 10 contenders:

1. Decatur Central

2. Merrillville

3. Snider

4. Dwenger

5. Harrison

6. Whiteland

7. Bloomington South

8. Valpo

9. Michigan City

10. New Albany

You’ll want to take New Albany off this list. They lost a crap ton of seniors off last year’s team. Last year’s team was a once-in-a-generation team.

2 hours ago, Indiana Fan said:

My 5A top 10 contenders:

1. Decatur Central

2. Merrillville

3. Snider

4. Dwenger

5. Harrison

6. Whiteland

7. Bloomington South

8. Valpo

9. Michigan City

10. New Albany

New Albany lost about 30 guys from probably the best Sr class theyve ever had.

14 hours ago, BTF said:

I was wrong. Merrillville beat Cathedral in 1976 for the state title. Valpo beat Carmel for the state title in 1975.

Merrillville was heavily favored to repeat and win the 77 state title, but the Pirates were ambushed by an under the radar Portage team, losing 3-0 in the regional.  It was a monumental upset, one you rarely see at the high school level.  Merrillville had defeated Portage 34-7 during their undefeated regular season.  That 77 Merrillville team was probably the best outfit to ever come out of The Region.  

Edited by DT

23 hours ago, scarab527 said:

The more you know. Always thought it was the cluster until 1985. Before my time. 

That's scary. Who of significance are they actually returning other than Marshall? IMO, they lost way too much talent from last year to be thinking a step down to 5A will open the gates for them. Granted, they basically get a bye through Sectionals, but isn't it too premature to be thinking State Finals or bust? 5A North looks wide open to me and should be highly entertaining. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

That's scary. Who of significance are they actually returning other than Marshall? IMO, they lost way too much talent from last year to be thinking a step down to 5A will open the gates for them. Granted, they basically get a bye through Sectionals, but isn't it too premature to be thinking State Finals or bust? 5A North looks wide open to me and should be highly entertaining. 

DB Philip Roche who has Big 10 offers is the other marquee guy. They are high on the QB who got injured last year as well but the jury is still out on him without much varsity experience. Other than that I know that they've got some new transfers so we'll see how those kids are. I agree, honestly the whole class is wide open and it'll be interesting to see who's the last team standing. 

3 hours ago, DT said:

Merrillville was heavily favored to repeat and win the 77 state title, but the Pirates were ambushed by an under the radar Portage team, losing 3-0 in the regional.  It was a monumental upset, one you rarely see at the high school level.  Merrillville had defeated Portage 34-7 during their undefeated regular season.  That 77 Merrillville team was probably the best outfit to ever come out of The Region.  

What about the '76 team? Valpo beat Merrillville in the regular season and the Pirates took the tournament game. Was that considered an upset? 

Was the Duneland the dominant conference in the state during the 70's?