Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

8 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

May wanna go do more research. Merrillville has a crap ton of transfers again. From Andrean, westside, Ben Davis, Hobart, lake central, Hobart. Again I’ll go out and say merrillville has the same if not a little more talent than last year. Everyone has been replaced except the NT grant. Which you can’t replace a kid of that caliber. 
2 Safeys with D1 offers, 2 LBs with D1 offers, Dline is probably all D2, DBs are all Gonna be good they all have intrest but nothing yet.

offense side.. QB was replaced by someone better that played last year till week 6 when he got hurt. We have 4 RBs that all have D1 offers (at other positions), and a D1 Wr( marshall) I can go through and name the players if need be 🙂 

“17 D1 players” 

• Haha 3

On 7/23/2022 at 3:45 PM, scarab527 said:

I don’t wanna argue about this because there’s no definitive way of knowing, but having seen both teams play, I think saying that would’ve been a pick ‘em game is just not accurate. I think the Pirates were far and away the best team outside of the Indy metro area last year, which shows just how far ahead Indy is of the competition. 

I think it's hard to speculate that Merrillville was far and away the best outside of Indy when: 

1.     They didn't play any teams from the other three quadrants of the state.

2.    They were blown out by the only team they played outside of the Duneland. 

Carroll lost to Westfield by a smaller margin than did Merrillville and were within striking distance half way through the third. I guess that's the only comparison we have to go by. Both good football teams last year for sure. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

May wanna go do more research. Merrillville has a crap ton of transfers again. From Andrean, westside, Ben Davis, Hobart, lake central, Hobart. Again I’ll go out and say merrillville has the same if not a little more talent than last year. Everyone has been replaced except the NT grant. Which you can’t replace a kid of that caliber. 
2 Safeys with D1 offers, 2 LBs with D1 offers, Dline is probably all D2, DBs are all Gonna be good they all have intrest but nothing yet.

offense side.. QB was replaced by someone better that played last year till week 6 when he got hurt. We have 4 RBs that all have D1 offers (at other positions), and a D1 Wr( marshall) I can go through and name the players if need be 🙂 

So that is 9 D1 players I'm counting??

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

They weren't bumped via the Success Factor. SF points only apply to schools that have already been bumped, not to schools who were in a class on enrollment. 

Merrillville could've won two straight 6A state titles and dropped to 5A if its enrollment dipped below the line. 

But Cathedral wins two sectionals or one regional, it'll stay in 6A. 

Ahh..nice..at some point were 6A in enrollment n had success yet get bumped down due to others gaining enrollment..

11 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

Enrollment. And we won 4 consecutive sectionals and 3 straight regionals. Just for a laugh 

3 str8 regionals..I can see y some would see them laughing their way to state in 5a..all that talent too! Anything less..would be uncivilized..

3 hours ago, BTF said:

I think it's hard to speculate that Merrillville was far and away the best outside of Indy when: 

1.     They didn't play any teams from the other three quadrants of the state.

2.    They were blown out by the only team they played outside of the Duneland. 

Carroll lost to Westfield by a smaller margin than did Merrillville and were within striking distance half way through the third. I guess that's the only comparison we have to go by. Both good football teams last year for sure. 

23 points vs 29 points isn’t really anything to write home about. It’s hard for me to buy into Carroll when they lost to a 2A team. Merrillville completely ran over everyone they played last year until Westfield. The Sagarin Ratings had Merrillville about a 2 touchdown favorite on a neutral field, I think that’s a pretty accurate prediction for a hypothetical game between the two. 

54 minutes ago, temptation said:

Plus two transfers from IMG, one from Clemson and a water boy from the New England Patriots.

#BestInState

Y’all can make all the jokes you want T but the offers speak for themselves. I didn’t say they are D1 I said they have D1 offers we have 3 committed to d1 now. But about 9 others with offers. Y’all really need to look at the kids week 1 get the names and look at offers. 👍🏻

12 hours ago, Piratefan101 said:

Y’all can make all the jokes you want T but the offers speak for themselves. I didn’t say they are D1 I said they have D1 offers we have 3 committed to d1 now. But about 9 others with offers. Y’all really need to look at the kids week 1 get the names and look at offers. 👍🏻

Who are the 3 that are currently committed to D1? I see: 

1. Justin Marshal: Colorado State. Odd committment based on the quality of offers he has. I wouldn't be surprised if he flipped to a power conference school at some point. 
  2. Phillip Roche: Lots of D1 Offers. No official commitment.
  3. ???
Edited by Boilernation

I am interested to see who these other transfers PF1 mentioned. Marshall was a known person as were the Hammond kids or even Gary kids before them, like those kids were playing and starting. Eventually those kids will go a few more miles south to the big 6A program in the region. I would like to say southwest, but the biggest school has never been able to keep their kids from going to Andrean.

I have been proven wrong in the past, but last year Merrillville dominated the conference like no one since Hobart, will be amazing if they do the same this year. Unless Roche is just as good as a RB as a safety, they lose that dynamic of a power back. Nelson was a tough little guy, is Taylor as mentally strong to carry the load. Lot of expectations on a first year senior starting QB. 

15 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

I am interested to see who these other transfers PF1 mentioned. Marshall was a known person as were the Hammond kids or even Gary kids before them, like those kids were playing and starting. Eventually those kids will go a few more miles south to the big 6A program in the region. I would like to say southwest, but the biggest school has never been able to keep their kids from going to Andrean.

I have been proven wrong in the past, but last year Merrillville dominated the conference like no one since Hobart, will be amazing if they do the same this year. Unless Roche is just as good as a RB as a safety, they lose that dynamic of a power back. Nelson was a tough little guy, is Taylor as mentally strong to carry the load. Lot of expectations on a first year senior starting QB. 

Why do you feel the Gary/Hammond/possibly East Chicago kids will eventually transfer to Lake Central over Merrillville? Demographically, Merrillville makes more sense vs. St. John, Dyer, and Schererville. I think one advantage Merrillville has now is it's clear they have the attention of college recruiters. Granted, I think a D1 recruit at say Hammond Central or Morton is going to get attention as long as they promote themselves, but I could see how players or parents would find Merrillville appealing.

Are the Chicago Catholic schools still recruiting NWI? I know Merrillville's RB from last year who went to Illinois State was at Joliet Catholic prior to coming back to Merrillville. I've also read Chicago Mt. Carmel had recruiting billboards up at some point on Route 30 in Lake Central's district.

Agreed with your last comment. It's not easy to replace the guys they lost last year. And this current regime's marquee non Region Win is either Warsaw or Elkhart. By no means am I dismissing Merrillville as a 5A Title contender, but I'm in wait and see mode as to whether they can even win the North Semi-State. 

1 hour ago, DACNUT said:

I agree, but the rest of the conference loses a lot as well, especially the teams with the best chance of beating Merrillville (Valpo, MC). Honestly, CP might be their biggest threat to the DAC title this year. We'll see what happens. Like you said, I would doubt the Pirates will be anywhere near as dominant as they were last year. 

5 hours ago, DACNUT said:

Merrillville got a power back from Andrean and Ben Davis 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DACNUT said:

Marshall is also the starting RB roche is gonna be a WR

On 7/25/2022 at 7:34 PM, psaboy said:

So they have two power backs? Can you provide names? 

Trey stephens transferred in from Andrean. 

17 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

The Stephens kid played OLB and weighs 185lbs... I wouldn't call him a powerback

Haha. Was he even a contributor for Andrean last year? I wouldn't be surprised to hear the "powerback" from Ben Davis was a 3rd stringer on the Giants 9th grade team. 

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Haha. Was he even a contributor for Andrean last year? I wouldn't be surprised to hear the "powerback" from Ben Davis was a 3rd stringer on the Giants 9th grade team. 

He was a starter on defense and had a good year. Good defensive player for sure. Not sure I can judge his RB abilities because I never saw him play it. To expect him to be a DAC powerback right now I think is a little much though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

I think that’s the case. 🤣