Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Zionsville belongs in 6A based on enrollment. Not sure New Pal "belongs" in 6A. My point was..........the more competition the better in 5A.

Zionsville belonged in 6A a couple of years ago based on enrollment ... they were actually #30 in the 2019 series and #31 in the 2020 series of 32, after adjusting for SF bumps, but somehow ended up playing in 5A in the 2020 and 2021 seasons despite playing 6A in 2019.

4 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Zionsville belonged in 6A a couple of years ago based on enrollment ... they were actually #30 in the 2019 series and #31 in the 2020 series of 32, after adjusting for SF bumps, but somehow ended up playing in 5A in the 2020 and 2021 seasons despite playing 6A in 2019.

Good information. It really didn't affect much though. Cathedral was winning the title those years regardless. 

4 minutes ago, Piratefan101 said:

They are a too 5 in 5A but rumblings say this is a building year for them. I hope not. We need competition. After week 1 I feel we will coast to semi

Speaking of rumblings, you'll probably coast through semi-state as well. The consensus seems to be that 2022 will be the Decatur Central/Merrillville show. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

4 minutes ago, BTF said:

Good information. It really didn't affect much though. Cathedral was winning the title those years regardless. 

True, but Harrison got eliminated two years straight by Zionsville in sectionals, eliminating the probability of a pair of sectional titles ... and last year had a halftime lead over Zionsville before succumbing.  Even if Cathedral won it all, I would have liked to have seen Harrison face off against Dwenger and possibly MC before the Peebles brothers met up in LOS.

1 minute ago, foxbat said:

True, but Harrison got eliminated two years straight by Zionsville in sectionals, eliminating the probability of a pair of sectional titles ... and last year had a halftime lead over Zionsville before succumbing.  Even if Cathedral won it all, I would have liked to have seen Harrison face off against Dwenger and possibly MC before the Peebles brothers met up in LOS.

Zionsville barely survived the North the past two seasons, for sure. 

23 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

The threshold is actually closer to 2,100. If it weren’t for Cathedral moving up due to the success factor, Harrison (WL) would be the final 6A school with 2,079 students. Instead, it’s Fort Wayne Northrop with 2,080 students. As you can see, Decatur Central has a little ways to go before they’re in 6A.

9E77B056-E8EE-4019-BBC2-E12C1B6F91D2.jpeg

Thanks for posting this list, very interesting to see enrollment numbers.

As for my pick about DC - their coaching staff and community support reminds me of NewPal.  I also watched one of those WHTR coaching interviews last season and was pretty impressed with the head coach and his passion for success.  Now that my Irish are out of 5A I will be pulling for these guys.  I am a homer guilty as charged!

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Unfamiliar with the storyline.

Maybe its just one I am creating.  After an era of domination, New Pal came back to earth and is now playing in its class on a consistent basis.  

Wondering if Ralph's magic was due more so to a solid group coming through or if he can repeat that success.

Sorry for my lack of clarity.

4 minutes ago, temptation said:

Maybe its just one I am creating.  After an era of domination, New Pal came back to earth and is now playing in its class on a consistent basis.  

Wondering if Ralph's magic was due more so to a solid group coming through or if he can repeat that success.

Combo of both? Definitely had some very good talent his first couple years and then even more so during the recent run, but Ralph is one of the best coaches in the entire state either way. Even last year in a 'down' year they still won sectionals and played Cathedral tough in the regional. You don't win over 100 games before you lose 10 for no reason. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

I always thought his magic came from getting the most out of his top athletes by having them play both sides of the ball. Think about the math. If your best players are playing on both sides of the ball, then you are probably playing the quality of football that a school double your size plays with............for at least a half anyway. Most teams that do that tend to wear down in the second half, but NP never seemed to. 

You could be on point regarding a run in talent. A good program remains good if they are playing within their weight class. But if you are playing teams that have clear advantages like enrollment or socioeconomic advantages, then you are probably at the mercy of that talent "run" just to stay towards the top. 

Case in point: For decades Snider managed to to be a Top 5 program every 4-5 years.........like clockwork. That was due to them playing schools twice their enrollment. Every 4-5 years they had that talent run that could compete with the mega schools. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Boilernation said:

How about Fort Wayne North? They may have the state's best skill player (regardless of class) at WR. I think I read a QB from Dwenger or Snider transferred in. Is North a true threat to Snider and Dwenger in Sectional 12 or just a decent team that will have an explosive offense?

Transfer came from Dwenger. Unsure if was the Saints first or second string though. There is a lot of hype surrounding North Side this year. Last year they started strong with a 2pt loss to Snider and ended strong with a 3pt loss to Dwenger, but everything in between was a train wreck as they finished the season 2-7. Are they a contender? I would say yes since they lost to the Panthers and Saints last year by a combined *5pts. 

*Regular season game was a 26pt whipping delivered by the Saints

1 hour ago, BTF said:

Transfer came from Dwenger. Unsure if was the Saints first or second string though. There is a lot of hype surrounding North Side this year. Last year they started strong with a 2pt loss to Snider and ended strong with a 3pt loss to Dwenger, but everything in between was a train wreck as they finished the season 2-7. Are they a contender? I would say yes since they lost to the Panthers and Saints last year by a combined *5pts. 

Or we could be seeing a repeat of 2020. 5-6 with a very potent offense. That Team: 

• Beat Snider by 30
  • Lost to Dwenger by 13
  • Scored 48 points in a loss to Carroll
  • Scored 46 points in a loss to Luers
  • Scored 36 points in a loss to Homestead
  • Scored 27 points in a loss to Northrop
  • Lost to Dwenger by 8 in Sectionals
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Or we could be seeing a repeat of 2020. 5-6 with a very potent offense. That Team: 

• Beat Snider by 30
  • Lost to Dwenger by 13
  • Scored 48 points in a loss to Carroll
  • Scored 46 points in a loss to Luers
  • Scored 36 points in a loss to Homestead
  • Scored 27 points in a loss to Northrop
  • Lost to Dwenger by 8 in Sectionals

Could very well happen. Different coach this time. North Side is a wild card. Hard to predict. Week 1 will be a good one in the SAC.

7 hours ago, BTF said:

Case in point: For decades Snider managed to to be a Top 5 program every 4-5 years.........like clockwork. That was due to them playing schools twice their enrollment. Every 4-5 years they had that talent run that could compete with the mega schools. 

Offense could have one of those seasons thats needed now a days...a few burners with size sprinkled in...not dbl digit D1 players..still talented tho😁

2 minutes ago, Justasportsfan said:

Offense could have one of those seasons thats needed now a days...a few burners with size sprinkled in...not dbl digit D1 players..still talented tho😁

Agree. The potential is there. This team could be good. But I've seen teams with "potential" fall flat on their faces. Week 1 will be a good test. 

6 hours ago, temptation said:

If you throw enough darts, eventually you'll hit a bullseye...

Or like my mom Phyllis toad me after a shift at Xanadus, throw enough panties against the wall and a pair will eventually stick. I gotta go 

Edited by Donnie Baker
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, BTF said:

Speaking of rumblings, you'll probably coast through semi-state as well. The consensus seems to be that 2022 will be the Decatur Central/Merrillville show. 

We will see. That’s my pick too. But a lot of games to be played! Everyone needs to stay healthy. But FW/Mishawaka won’t be an easy out in the north. Like I said I feel we coast to semis but after that it’s game time 

13 hours ago, BTF said:

He was our starter. 

• Like 1