Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

10 minutes ago, scarab527 said:

I appreciate the offer and would take you up on it, unfortunately I work in Chicago and there's little chance I'd be able to make it out considering the drive time and time change. But I wasn't insinuating that there aren't good teams residing in 5A, just that in relation to the other classes I think the class as a whole is weak. Maybe what New Pal did to DC is clouding my judgment, but when a consensus top 5 team in a class gets blown out that badly by a team in the class below, no matter how good that team is, there should be reason for pause. This is obviously mostly speculation but I don't think any 5A team right now could compete with New Pal or Roncalli, and you arguably could throw in East Central and Chatard in there too.  

One could argue that New Pal is the best team in the entire state. Not saying they are, but one could make a case for them. 

It's hard to judge the Fort Wayne teams since they are on their own little island. But right now, the north looks to be pretty competitive with Merrillville, Mishawaka, Snider, Dwenger, and North Side. 

4 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see them back in 5A after the next 2 year cycle. 

I doubt there is much in the way of stopping that. I get it, still have to play the games. 

56 minutes ago, dmizers3 said:

Wouldn't be shocked to see them back in 5A after the next 2 year cycle. 

Yeah, I think going back and forth between the 2 classes will be a continuous trend as long as Ralph is in New Pal unless: 

1. New Pal's enrollment eventually reaches 5A level
  2. New Pal doesn't experience a dip in talent and remains in 5A based on performance

18 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

The talent pool at Columbus East was in the process of drying up after their 2017 5A state title and it completely dried up after the 2020 season. Gaddis knew what he was doing when he retired. However, it should be noted the coaching staff almost seems lost without him. A lot of the staff returned (with one of them taking over the head coaching gig), but the playcalling and just overall team management have been pretty poor. Lots of miscues early on this year by the coaching staff and it’s very noticeable by all.

Thanks for sharing. I can totally understand why the East AD/Admin would ride with Gaddis' staff considering the success they were a part of. Though it sounds like they would have been better off starting fresh with an outside viewpoint. 

Regarding talent, can kids in the East/North school district choose their HS or is it hard to enroll at East if you live in North's boundaries? 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, BTF said:

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. Hard to debate any of that. Could Decatur Central be a little overrated because they reside in Indy? Just a thought, not a slight. 

I think they hype with Decatur Central is they've been a very good program that has continuously ran into Cathedral very early in the playoffs. The one and only time they got over the Cathedral hump they met New Pal in the State Title game. I can see how the Hawks were a trendy pick. In fairness to Decatur Central, they have a chance right away to prove they're still in the picture this Friday as they host Whiteland.

1 hour ago, BTF said:

One could argue that New Pal is the best team in the entire state. Not saying they are, but one could make a case for them. 

It's hard to judge the Fort Wayne teams since they are on their own little island. But right now, the north looks to be pretty competitive with Merrillville, Mishawaka, Snider, Dwenger, and North Side. 

I doubt there is much in the way of stopping that. I get it, still have to play the games. 

I think it's fair to say the winner of Sectional 12, sans a miracle from Anderson, is the favorite to win 5A. 

Edited by Boilernation

44 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Thanks for sharing. I can totally understand why the East AD/Admin would ride with Gaddis' staff considering the success they were a part of. Though it sounds like they would have been better off starting fresh with an outside viewpoint. 

Regarding talent, can kids in the East/North school district choose their HS or is it hard to enroll at East if you live in North's boundaries? 

They can choose. North definitely has a better reputation in regards to academics and athletics. You can walk into that school and just tell that they’re the school with more money. Unfortunately, most kids in Bartholomew County these days would rather go there for football even if it means they won’t make it out of sectionals because of Center Grove.

On 8/28/2022 at 10:06 PM, BTF said:

Great write up. Thanks for sharing. Hard to debate any of that. Could Decatur Central be a little overrated because they reside in Indy? Just a thought, not a slight. 

I still think 5A South is pretty weak that I'd be willing to say it will be either Whiteland or DC coming out of the South. DC is 2 years away from being VERY good.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HoosierFootball4 said:

I still think 5A South is pretty weak that I'd be willing to say it will be either Whiteland or DC coming out of the South. DC is 2 years away from being VERY good.

We'll get a preview of those two on Friday.  Will also be able to gauge Harrison somewhat based on Whiteland and DC's performance against Plainfield.

11 minutes ago, foxbat said:

We'll get a preview of those two on Friday.  Will also be able to gauge Harrison somewhat based on Whiteland and DC's performance against Plainfield.

A close game with Plainfield isn't a promising sign for Harrison to compete with DC or Whiteland.

Edited by HoosierFootball4
  • Like 2

On 8/29/2022 at 6:43 PM, Frozen Tundra said:

They can choose. North definitely has a better reputation in regards to academics and athletics. You can walk into that school and just tell that they’re the school with more money. Unfortunately, most kids in Bartholomew County these days would rather go there for football even if it means they won’t make it out of sectionals because of Center Grove.

North has had 20+ football players in the past 3 years go on to play college football from NAIA to D1.  I am sure that has had something to do with it.  Plus the last 6 of 7 games in the rivalry series have been won by North.  I would rather win a state championship but it puts in perspective how big that game is to those in the town.

In the past North's academics were definitely better than East's.  Now there isn't much difference as far as a whole.  North's advanced education opportunities are probably what set's the schools apart.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:56 PM, Boilernation said:

As a new person to Columbus, I too thought that the best move for East would have been to hire a prospective, younger coach to take the program to the next level.  It's hard to fill the shoes of such an accomplished coach as Gaddis.  Bringing a new coach into the program may have given hope for a rebuild?  North has won the hearts and minds of young/talented players who have bought into a program on the rise, playing a tough schedule in the biggest class of Indiana football.

Logan Haston has brought some energy and renewed vision to the program at North as well.  This being on a firm foundation built by Tim Bless.

53 minutes ago, Bulldog15 said:

As a new person to Columbus, I too thought that the best move for East would have been to hire a prospective, younger coach to take the program to the next level.  It's hard to fill the shoes of such an accomplished coach as Gaddis.  Bringing a new coach into the program may have given hope for a rebuild?  North has won the hearts and minds of young/talented players who have bought into a program on the rise, playing a tough schedule in the biggest class of Indiana football.

The thinking was that retaining Gaddis’ staff would keep a championship-winning system in place that kids were already familiar with. Vogel even came in and said things wouldn’t change. He’d continue implementing the system and ideals Gaddis had. Definitely hasn’t worked out thus far.

1 hour ago, Bulldog15 said:

North has had 20+ football players in the past 3 years go on to play college football from NAIA to D1.  I am sure that has had something to do with it.  Plus the last 6 of 7 games in the rivalry series have been won by North.  I would rather win a state championship but it puts in perspective how big that game is to those in the town.

East had been on par with North in terms of developing collegiate players up until the mid to late 2010s. That’s when the rivalry started shifting to North’s favor. I’ve noticed over the years, though, that the likelihood of a kid in North’s district playing for East is much less than a kid in East’s district playing for North. The richer neighborhoods tend to be in North’s district. Therefore, North is kind of on a pedestal in comparison to East. I’ve always referred to North as the white-collar school and East as the blue-collar school. Conference affiliation kind of backs that up.

On 8/29/2022 at 5:53 PM, Boilernation said:

Yeah, I think going back and forth between the 2 classes will be a continuous trend as long as Ralph is in New Pal unless: 

1. New Pal's enrollment eventually reaches 5A level
  2. New Pal doesn't experience a dip in talent and remains in 5A based on performance

New Pal's enrollment tipped 1200 for the first time this year and the freshman class is 325ish, so at that rate, it'll be 1300+ in a few years. Several new neighborhoods are under construction. I wouldn't be shocked if New Pal is a 5A by enrollment by the end of the decade. 

There are large housing areas being put in all over Hancock county, so I could forsee all 3, New Pal, Greenfield, and Mt Vernon all finding their way into 5A enrollment status in the next 6 years or so. Appears many families are leaving the city areas and moving to neighboring counties to raise their families, which will only grow those student enrollments. 

23 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

New Pal's enrollment tipped 1200 for the first time this year and the freshman class is 325ish, so at that rate, it'll be 1300+ in a few years. Several new neighborhoods are under construction. I wouldn't be shocked if New Pal is a 5A by enrollment by the end of the decade. 

Amen to that.............5a would love to have them. The more competition the merrier. 

4 hours ago, RetiredSouthernCoach said:

There are large housing areas being put in all over Hancock county, so I could forsee all 3, New Pal, Greenfield, and Mt Vernon all finding their way into 5A enrollment status in the next 6 years or so. Appears many families are leaving the city areas and moving to neighboring counties to raise their families, which will only grow those student enrollments. 

Mt. Vernon is one of the fastest-growing school districts in the state. I believe this will be their last cycle in 4A. 

Greenfield-Central's enrollment has largely been flatlining/declining over the last few years. There is growth there, but it doesn't seem to be translating into the size of the school. First of all, Greenfield isn't that close to Indy - it's 15 miles from the Post Road exit on I-70 to the Greenfield one - and a significant number of people who live in the G-C district send their kids to other schools (Eastern Hancock seems to be the primary beneficiary). 

G-C will eventually be 5A - maybe in the next two or three reclassifications - but it will eventually be passed up population-wise by both Mt. Vernon (which has already passed it up in terms of district enrollment) and New Pal. 

Can't speak of the south, but after last night, here is where I see the north:

Carmel is the team to beat and everyone is chasing them.

Tier 1: Carmel

Tier 2: Penn, Hamilton Southeastern, Fishers, and Carroll

Tier 3: Westfield, Elkhart, Crown Point

Tier 4: Jefferson, Warsaw, Noblesville, Zionsville, Homestead

5 hours ago, BTF said:

Wrong topic. This is a 5A thread buddy.

6 hours ago, BTF said:

I know Zionsville snuck down into 5A last cycle and Merrillville crept down this time, but sneaking half of 6A down into 5A is going to be noticeable.  :classic_smile:

Just now, foxbat said:

I know Zionsville snuck down into 5A last cycle and Merrillville crept down this time, but sneaking half of 6A down into 5A is going to be noticeable.  :classic_smile:

Lol, love it. I'm searching for a 6a thread to copy and paste it to. 

• Like 1