Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 7/21/2022 at 12:23 PM, SouthSideFootball57 said:

The way I see it, it’s Merrillville out of the north and either DC/Whiteland out of the south. Thoughts? 

I think DC is the team to beat, not just in the south but state this year.  

 

What is interesting - maybe someone can confirm - but with DC's enrollment aren't they close to borderline 6A now?  I googled their enrollment and it shows 1,845 and if I recall 6A threshold is around 1,900?  If that is the case this could be their last year in 5A regardless.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

I agree with this post. DC is definitely a contender. I would put Whiteland in there as well. Merrillville isn't going to have the cake walk that all the Merrillville homers think they will have. 

 

In fairness, I think homers shouldn't be plural. It has been and currently is one homer who drinks the purple kool-aid. Speaking of DC, is Stevens playing QB? I see he committed to Virginia Tech as a LB.

 

  • Haha 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave007 said:

What is interesting - maybe someone can confirm - but with DC's enrollment aren't they close to borderline 6A now?  I googled their enrollment and it shows 1,845 and if I recall 6A threshold is around 1,900?  If that is the case this could be their last year in 5A regardless.  

The threshold is actually closer to 2,100. If it weren’t for Cathedral moving up due to the success factor, Harrison (WL) would be the final 6A school with 2,079 students. Instead, it’s Fort Wayne Northrop with 2,080 students. As you can see, Decatur Central has a little ways to go before they’re in 6A.

 

9E77B056-E8EE-4019-BBC2-E12C1B6F91D2.jpeg

Edited by Frozen Tundra
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Dave007 said:

I think DC is the team to beat, not just in the south but state this year.    

What does DC have going for them besides enrollment? Strong senior class? Several returning starters? Stating that they are the team to beat without previewing all the other teams in 5A is quite the statement. But hey, if they are senior heavy with 15+ returning starters, I understand the high expectations.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, BTF said:

What does DC have going for them besides enrollment? Strong senior class? Several returning starters? Stating that they are the team to beat without previewing all the other teams in 5A is quite the statement. But hey, if they are senior heavy with 15+ returning starters, I understand the high expectations.

I could be wrong but I’ll guess…”the Indy factor.”

Until non-central Indy schools breakthrough at the 5A/6A level when it comes to winning titles, “bias” towards them will always exist.

Only Columbus East and Snider have weakened the stereotype recently.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, temptation said:

I could be wrong but I’ll guess…”the Indy factor.”

Until non-central Indy schools breakthrough at the 5A/6A level when it comes to winning titles, “bias” towards them will always exist.

Only Columbus East and Snider have weakened the stereotype recently.

 

Agreed, but does Decatur Central deserve the level respect? I have the upmost respect for the Mid State and enjoy the top to bottom competitiveness of the conference; however, it's not the Hoosier Crossroads or MIC. IMO, those are the leagues along with Chatard and Cathedral that have earned the central Indy bias. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

In fairness, I think homers shouldn't be plural. It has been and currently is one homer who drinks the purple kool-aid. Speaking of DC, is Stevens playing QB? I see he committed to Virginia Tech as a LB.

 

He plays both sides of the ball.

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, MonkeyButt said:

He plays both sides of the ball.

 

I haven't seen DC play with him at QB. Is he primarily a runner? Kid is big. 

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed, but does Decatur Central deserve the level respect? I have the upmost respect for the Mid State and enjoy the top to bottom competitiveness of the conference; however, it's not the Hoosier Crossroads or MIC. IMO, those are the leagues along with Chatard and Cathedral that have earned the central Indy bias. 

Guess I have to now lump Carmel and CG in with Chatard and Cathedral. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, temptation said:

I could be wrong but I’ll guess…”the Indy factor.”

Until non-central Indy schools breakthrough at the 5A/6A level when it comes to winning titles, “bias” towards them will always exist.

Only Columbus East and Snider have weakened the stereotype recently.

 

I'm not too familiar with Decatur Central. But it's good to know that they are considered "Indy area." I was just thinking the other day how lonely 5A seems to be with no Indy teams represented. It just seems normal that the road to Lucus goes through Zionsville with the right to play Cathedral. Personally? I wish that were still the case.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Agreed, but does Decatur Central deserve the level respect? I have the upmost respect for the Mid State and enjoy the top to bottom competitiveness of the conference; however, it's not the Hoosier Crossroads or MIC. IMO, those are the leagues along with Chatard and Cathedral that have earned the central Indy bias. 

I think so.  They are an automatic 8+ win outfit annually that has had the unfortunate circumstance of running into the Cathedral juggernaut the last three seasons (and 6 of the last nine seasons) and either New Pal or Zionsville in other years.  

They actually gave that 2018 New Pal team one hell of a game but simply ran out of gas in the second half.

I by no means think that they are a consensus favorite and maybe this is unfair to Merrillville but the Hawks are more proven on a state wide level than anyone left in 5A.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think so.  They are an automatic 8+ win outfit annually that has had the unfortunate circumstance of running into the Cathedral juggernaut the last three seasons (and 6 of the last nine seasons) and either New Pal or Zionsville in other years.  

They actually gave that 2018 New Pal team one hell of a game but simply ran out of gas in the second half.

I by no means think that they are a consensus favorite and maybe this is unfair to Merrillville but the Hawks are more proven on a state wide level than anyone left in 5A.

Valpo? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I think so.  They are an automatic 8+ win outfit annually that has had the unfortunate circumstance of running into the Cathedral juggernaut the last three seasons (and 6 of the last nine seasons) and either New Pal or Zionsville in other years.  

They actually gave that 2018 New Pal team one hell of a game but simply ran out of gas in the second half.

I by no means think that they are a consensus favorite and maybe this is unfair to Merrillville but the Hawks are more proven on a state wide level than anyone left in 5A.

Fair assessment. This is why I'm probably the most interested in the 5A playoffs. From a Duneland perspective, it's their only shot at a State Title. From a competitive perspective, no Cathedral opens up the door for some new blood like DC or Merrillville to get a Title or a recent winner like New Pal, Columbus East, Snider, or Dwenger to add to their hardware. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I am going to be the complete homer and say that Valpo is second to no one left in 5A. Decatur Central ran out of steam against New Pal in 2018, the 2019 New Pal team was arguably the best team in the state and had to hold on to beat Valpo. In 2018, Carmel had a ugly Semi-State win against Valpo and in 2020 Valpo beat a good Dwenger team and lost to Zionsville at Semi-State. Heck, they were awesome in 2017, but stumbled at the end of the year with a parent/coach issue. At worse, they along with Merrillville would be a tie with Decatur Central. Respect the Vikings is what I am trying to say.

Another DAC team, Michigan City has been to Semi-State 3 times as well and we will see if they are any good the first two weeks of the year as they play solid 6A teams in Warsaw and Lafayette Jeff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

I am going to be the complete homer and say that Valpo is second to no one left in 5A. Decatur Central ran out of steam against New Pal in 2018, the 2019 New Pal team was arguably the best team in the state and had to hold on to beat Valpo. In 2018, Carmel had a ugly Semi-State win against Valpo and in 2020 Valpo beat a good Dwenger team and lost to Zionsville at Semi-State. Heck, they were awesome in 2017, but stumbled at the end of the year with a parent/coach issue. At worse, they along with Merrillville would be a tie with Decatur Central. Respect the Vikings is what I am trying to say.

Another DAC team, Michigan City has been to Semi-State 3 times as well and we will see if they are any good the first two weeks of the year as they play solid 6A teams in Warsaw and Lafayette Jeff.

What does Valpo have returning? Marshall has had a lot of very good talent, especially on the lines, the past 4 years. I guess the question is can he sustain the recent success or will Valpo fall back like Hoffman did after he lost the generational talent of Samardzija, Hanlon, etc.?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

How about Fort Wayne North? They may have the state's best skill player (regardless of class) at WR. I think I read a QB from Dwenger or Snider transferred in. Is North a true threat to Snider and Dwenger in Sectional 12 or just a decent team that will have an explosive offense?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

59 minutes ago, DACNUT said:

I am going to be the complete homer and say that Valpo is second to no one left in 5A. Decatur Central ran out of steam against New Pal in 2018, the 2019 New Pal team was arguably the best team in the state and had to hold on to beat Valpo. In 2018, Carmel had a ugly Semi-State win against Valpo and in 2020 Valpo beat a good Dwenger team and lost to Zionsville at Semi-State. Heck, they were awesome in 2017, but stumbled at the end of the year with a parent/coach issue. At worse, they along with Merrillville would be a tie with Decatur Central. Respect the Vikings is what I am trying to say.

Another DAC team, Michigan City has been to Semi-State 3 times as well and we will see if they are any good the first two weeks of the year as they play solid 6A teams in Warsaw and Lafayette Jeff.

I can get on board with this.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

What does Valpo have returning? Marshall has had a lot of very good talent, especially on the lines, the past 4 years. I guess the question is can he sustain the recent success or will Valpo fall back like Hoffman did after he lost the generational talent of Samardzija, Hanlon, etc.?

I know they lose almost all of their offensive and defensive production in terms of yards, tackles, etc. Not sure what they have returning on the o-line. I think they'll take a slight step back this year just because it's hard to replace all that they lost. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

How about Fort Wayne North? They may have the state's best skill player (regardless of class) at WR. I think I read a QB from Dwenger or Snider transferred in. Is North a true threat to Snider and Dwenger in Sectional 12 or just a decent team that will have an explosive offense?

I've heard Dwenger is expecting to be a little down this year. Snider I know returns quite a bit of their team from last year so they should be a threat. North is just a complete wild card I think. Hard to really predict how they'll be even though they've got some good (and some elite) talent. It's gonna come down to the DAC vs the SAC in the North. I think it'll be Snider vs Merrillville, but that matchup is not a lock at all. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Fair assessment. This is why I'm probably the most interested in the 5A playoffs. From a Duneland perspective, it's their only shot at a State Title. From a competitive perspective, no Cathedral opens up the door for some new blood like DC or Merrillville to get a Title or a recent winner like New Pal, Columbus East, Snider, or Dwenger to add to their hardware. 

New Pal is in 4A so you won’t be seeing them winning 5A

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Frozen Tundra said:

New Pal is in 4A so you won’t be seeing them winning 5A

It's a shame New Pal is 4A now. Would love to see them and Zionsville remain in 5A. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

New Pal is in 4A so you won’t be seeing them winning 5A

That's a shame. Was thinking they were in Sectional 14. Definately makes 5A a little weaker. Sectional 22 has the potential for a series of Hoosier Heritage rematches.

13 hours ago, BTF said:

It's a shame New Pal is 4A now. Would love to see them and Zionsville remain in 5A. 

Agree with New Pal. Zionsville? No, they belong in 6A. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

That's a shame. Was thinking they were in Sectional 14. Definately makes 5A a little weaker. Sectional 22 has the potential for a series of Hoosier Heritage rematches.

Agree with New Pal. Zionsville? No, they belong in 6A. 

Zionsville belongs in 6A based on enrollment. Not sure New Pal "belongs" in 6A. My point was..........the more competition the better in 5A.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Zionsville belongs in 6A based on enrollment. Not sure New Pal "belongs" in 6A. My point was..........the more competition the better in 5A.

New Pal/Ralph is a fascinating storyline for me this fall.  Will be interested to see how they progress.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...