Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
itiswhatitis

2018 Indianapolis Colts

Recommended Posts

Well the coaching staff is set for the Colts now.  I guess the next step will be Free Agency.  Ballard still says he is building this team through the draft so I don't expect too much excitement from any signings, but you never know.  I saw that Ansah (Detroit) and Lawrence (Dallas) got franchise tagged so they aren't on the market.  So in that regard, I think it's looking more and more like the Colts will draft Chubb with their third pick.  They NEED an edge rusher.  I know they drafted Basham last year, but he didn't 'do well in the 3-4 defense.  Eberflus is changing the defense to a 4-3 so maybe Basham will have a better year.  And who knows?  Maybe Chubb and Basham will turn into the next Freeney/Mathais duo.  And no I haven't forgotten about Sheard.  He'll be in the mix too for edge rusher.  I've also heard Nelson's name being dropped as the third pick (offensive lineman from Notre Dame).  From what I'm hearing, this year's Colts team won't be close to what it was last year.  Still don't have a warm fuzzy feeing about Luck coming back.  I think Brissett is a good backup.  Hopefully he won't have to start many (or any) games this year.  Also think Quincy Wilson will have a good year at CB now that Pagano is gone.  Getting Hooker healthy and back will be a big plus for the secondary.  Still going to be thin at CB though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doyel: Can't believe Colts don't see the value of Frank Gore: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/28/doyel-cant-believe-colts-dont-see-value-frank-go-if-colts-cared-their-locker-room-culture-theyd-re-s/377362002/

Quote

We’ll never see another Frank Gore. That’s how we need to look at it, anyway. Let’s not be presumptuous and just wait for the next one. The Indianapolis Colts were lucky to have him for the past three seasons – and will be lucky to get a guy like that ever again.

Which makes their decision to dump him so darn stupid.

And that’s what they did: They kicked him to the curb. There are nicer ways to say it, and Colts coach Frank Reich and general manager Chris Ballard said goodbye to Gore in the nicest of ways on Wednesday from the 2018 NFL Scouting Combine.

Reich called Gore “a living legend” and said people around the league speak of him reverentially.

“Frank Gore set the standard on what (running) backs do in (pass) protection,” Reich said, bringing up an underappreciated facet of Gore’s greatness. “I remember hearing stories when I’d be coaching for other teams that Frank Gore could run the protection meetings, that he could make the protection calls for the quarterback.”

 

As for Ballard, he called Gore a “first ballot Hall of Famer” and said he wants “to give Frank a chance to go see what’s out there, and see if he finishes (his career) at a place where he needs to finish it.”

What’s wrong with finishing it here in Indianapolis? Gore wanted to do that. He never wanted to leave, not if quarterback Andrew Luck – whose presence was the reason Gore came here as a free agent in 2015 – was going to be healthy in 2018. The Colts are saying Luck will be healthy in 2018. We'll need to see it to believe it, but Ballard has never been so adamant, never backed himself into a corner the way he did on Wednesday when he said Luck will return in 2018, and do it at a high level.

Which means: Gore wanted to stay. But the Colts said, in the nicest possible way: You’re too old.

.....

IMHO the Colts should have kept Mr. Gore, even if their top pick in the upcoming draft is college running back sensation Saquon Barkley.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Doyel: Can't believe Colts don't see the value of Frank Gore: https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2018/02/28/doyel-cant-believe-colts-dont-see-value-frank-go-if-colts-cared-their-locker-room-culture-theyd-re-s/377362002/

IMHO the Colts should have kept Mr. Gore, even if their top pick in the upcoming draft is college running back sensation Saquon Barkley.

Gore averaged 3.6 a carry and only scored 3 TD's last season. He's a good pass blocker that helps make up for your terrible O Line. Great. You can get that from Marlon Mack and a 3rd round draft pick this upcoming year if you have position coaches that are worth a rip. Greggy needs to get over his feelings and realize it's the NFL; a cut throat business where winning is what matters. Gore isn't going to win you any games at 35 years old playing behind a crappy O Line on a crappy team. Let him have a chance to go be a back up for a winning team somewhere.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

Gore averaged 3.6 a carry and only scored 3 TD's last season. He's a good pass blocker that helps make up for your terrible O Line. Great. You can get that from Marlon Mack and a 3rd round draft pick this upcoming year if you have position coaches that are worth a rip. Greggy needs to get over his feelings and realize it's the NFL; a cut throat business where winning is what matters. Gore isn't going to win you any games at 35 years old playing behind a crappy O Line on a crappy team. Let him have a chance to go be a back up for a winning team somewhere.

Exactly right. He's a great leader in the locker room, but that's not enough to mitigate his diminished abilities on the field. Gotta put your best 53 together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard said yesterday that the team's first priority this season is to sure up the offensive and defensive lines. This makes me think they are leaning towards Chubb with the 3 pick. Smart Move. I would expect them to go after a running back in free agency to pair with Mack. Isaiah Crowell, Rex Burkhead, Legarrette Blount, and Jeremy Hill would be names to watch IMO.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not the Browns, I see the Giants taking Barkley. Think he will be gone before the Colts get to pick. IMO, Trade down grab an  extra picks or two, because with as many holes the Colts have in their the roster any pick within in the top 5- 10 picks would be a great help, and an extra pick or two should only help the Colts situation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, 93_knight said:

If not the Browns, I see the Giants taking Barkley. Think he will be gone before the Colts get to pick. IMO, Trade down grab an  extra picks or two, because with as many holes the Colts have in their the roster any pick within in the top 5- 10 picks would be a great help, and an extra pick or two should only help the Colts situation.

I agree, the Giants will take Barkley at 2. However, Chubb running a 4.66 with a very impressive 10 yard split only solidified him as the pick for the Colts if you ask me. Almost identical time to Myles Garrett last year and a much better motor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2018 at 9:23 AM, FishDuck said:

As for the Colts making a trade in the draft I think it will rely on which QBs are on the board at 3. I don't see anybody trading much to move up for Baker Mayfield or Josh Allen. Denver and the Jets would be ideal trade partners for Indy IMO because they don't need to move too far back in the first round i.e. Arizona at 15 or Buffalo at 21/22 to name a couple other teams who are in the QB market.  Would be very interesting to see Darnold or Rosen on the board at 3 and see what kind of moves Denver/NYJ would be willing to make. Free Agency will determine a lot as well since there are a few decent options available this year that might back teams out of trading up in the draft.  

Looks like Josh Allen turned heads at the combine.....throwing and with the drills....will be interesting to see if he moves up and even over Rosen and/or Darnold.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/03/nfl-scouting-combine-quarterbacks-josh-allen-baker-mayfield-lamar-jackson-josh-rosen-sam-darnold

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000919159/article/nfl-combine-winnerslosers-josh-allen-trumps-rosen-jackson

https://www.sbnation.com/2018/3/3/17067234/nfl-combine-2018-results-quarterbacks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The start of Free Agency has gone well for the Colts.  Lost out on LB Hitchens formerly of the Cowboys now going to the Chiefs.  Also lost out on G Norwell formerly of the Panthers to the Jags(he was a long shot anyways).  It does hurt that he is headed to a team within the division.  Also lost out on WR Robinson formerly of the Jags now going to the Bears.  

I really thought we would land Hitchens.  I know we aren't necessarily doomed by any of these moves or lack there of, but we need to bring in quality young talent at a fair price.  i thought Hitchens was that guy.  Maybe Ballard isn't a closer.  

So moving on.  I think Poe is a good candidate.  Anyone else have a free agent wish list.  Corner is a premium right now.  I like bringing back Melvin and maybe looking at Cromartie for challenger at corner or a good nickle guy.  Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No deals can be inked just yet, so things may not be as dismal as they appear. Remember, Frank Gore was going to the Eagles during this period a few years ago before changing his mind for the Colts.

However, losing out on those three (if it does happen that way) certainly hurts. They would have been plug-and-play starters from day one. Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler are still names I've seen floated out there. Paul Richardson too.

If Buffalo sends the 12th and 22nd picks along with an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, free agency whiffs may be offset a little as well. Re-sign Rashaan Melvin and Jack Mewhort, draft a DE or ILB at 12 (Marcus Davenport or Roquan Smith/Tremaine Edmonds) and another G at 22 (Will Hernandez), and things are looking up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Coach Pierson said:

No deals can be inked just yet, so things may not be as dismal as they appear. Remember, Frank Gore was going to the Eagles during this period a few years ago before changing his mind for the Colts.

However, losing out on those three (if it does happen that way) certainly hurts. They would have been plug-and-play starters from day one. Dion Lewis and Malcolm Butler are still names I've seen floated out there. Paul Richardson too.

If Buffalo sends the 12th and 22nd picks along with an extra 2nd or 3rd rounder, free agency whiffs may be offset a little as well. Re-sign Rashaan Melvin and Jack Mewhort, draft a DE or ILB at 12 (Marcus Davenport or Roquan Smith/Tremaine Edmonds) and another G at 22 (Will Hernandez), and things are looking up.

Very good points.  Can the Colts squeeze the Bills 2019 first rounder out of them also?  So 12 and 22 in 2018 and 2019 first rounder for 3rd overall in 2018.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, punttheball said:

Very good points.  Can the Colts squeeze the Bills 2019 first rounder out of them also?  So 12 and 22 in 2018 and 2019 first rounder for 3rd overall in 2018.

I'd take that. It's going to be a 2-3 year rebuild anyway, so why not take future first rounders?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I totally get being patient in the free agent market but being non-existent is not a great approach either.  I know you cannot sign all top tier free agents, but it is crazy to sit on 72 million and spend it on 12 low level non-impact players also.  We took that type of approach last year.  I think we are on the same path as last year.  Hoping that we can pull off a good trade on draft day.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Coach Pierson said:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/22761793/tyrann-mathieu-declines-pay-cut-cut-arizona-cardinals

I'd take the Honey Badger on a cheap, "prove-it" deal. Preston Brown has caught my eye as a potential MLB too. Buffalo wants to keep him, but we shall see...

Don't see HB taking any kind of cheap deal. He and his agent have both said they feel he could get more $ if he were to be cut by AZ and he wants to be paid like a top DB in the league.

P Brown would be a solid signing though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, FishDuck said:

Don't see HB taking any kind of cheap deal. He and his agent have both said they feel he could get more $ if he were to be cut by AZ and he wants to be paid like a top DB in the league.

P Brown would be a solid signing though.

Last year was his first year playing all 16 games, and he's ended 3 of his 5 seasons on IR. He's a hell of a player, but I think injuries alone warrant no more than a prove-it deal. I'm sure he and his agent disagree, but the market will establish itself, and they may not like the look of it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't posted in a while.  Just wanted to comment on how well Ballard has done with the offensive line this off season.  Of course my comment is purely speculation, but talent wise, the line has improved dramatically over what it has been the past several years.  I think the Tight End group got better with the acquisition of Ebron and loved the pick of Hines at running back.  I believe he will be a Sproles type of guy for the Colts.  They are going to use him all over the field and probably as a returner on special teams.  He isn't all that big but man is he quick!  Have heard he is already Reich's favorite toy on the offense.  And Luck is actually throwing a football.  Only a few more weeks until camp starts!  Lots of promise for the Colts this year.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Haven't made it to any camp practices but everything I'm hearing (and seeing on video) looks like camp is off to a great start.  3 rookies have stood out so far:  Cain, Leonard, and of course, Nelson.  Cain worked out in the offseason with Randy Moss and looks like he might be a starter at wide receiver.  Leonard picked off Luck during Luck's first practice back throwing and has been ALL over the field and in beast mode.  Nelson is just not human.  I'm thinking all three of these guys will be starters by week one.  The youth movement continues.  Vegas has the over/under at 6.5 wins for the Colts.  I'm thinking I'd have to put money on the over if I were a betting man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After seeing Luck throw a couple of times now, I have no doubts he will be back to his normal self. That defense though, is probably going to be one of the worst in the league again and worse than last year. They might get better as the season goes on, but, they definitely need to add some pieces next offseason.

GB 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 8:09 AM, GB4 said:

After seeing Luck throw a couple of times now, I have no doubts he will be back to his normal self. That defense though, is probably going to be one of the worst in the league again and worse than last year. They might get better as the season goes on, but, they definitely need to add some pieces next offseason.

GB 

I don't think the defense will be worse than last year.  They have a few players back from injury that will help out.  I do agree they will probably get better as the season progresses.  Having Hooker and Geathers back at the safeties is a huge plus in that secondary.  Wilson has  been playing well in camp.  I expected the secondary to be about the weakest spot on the defense but with those 3 it will probably be the linebackers that are lacking.  I think the pass rush while still not great will be improved.  One thing for sure, the defense is a LOT faster than last year's.  Whether that equates to them playing better remains to be seen.  On the offensive side:  IF the line stays healthy (and having Luck back) should allow the Colts to keep the ball longer and the defense won't need to play as long this season.  That in itself should make them seem better.  Isn't this the defense the Colts ran in the Dungy years?  I seem to recall they were awful at stopping the run UNTIL they got in the playoffs.  Then NO ONE could run on them and they won the Super Bowl.  Not saying that will happen again, but it IS encouraging. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, itiswhatitis said:

I don't think the defense will be worse than last year.  They have a few players back from injury that will help out.  I do agree they will probably get better as the season progresses.  Having Hooker and Geathers back at the safeties is a huge plus in that secondary.  Wilson has  been playing well in camp.  I expected the secondary to be about the weakest spot on the defense but with those 3 it will probably be the linebackers that are lacking.  I think the pass rush while still not great will be improved.  One thing for sure, the defense is a LOT faster than last year's.  Whether that equates to them playing better remains to be seen.  On the offensive side:  IF the line stays healthy (and having Luck back) should allow the Colts to keep the ball longer and the defense won't need to play as long this season.  That in itself should make them seem better.  Isn't this the defense the Colts ran in the Dungy years?  I seem to recall they were awful at stopping the run UNTIL they got in the playoffs.  Then NO ONE could run on them and they won the Super Bowl.  Not saying that will happen again, but it IS encouraging. 

Surprisingly, Wilson is behind Kenny Moore on the depth chart (As of now). I do think this defense will be better than last year, I'm just not sure that is saying a lot. The couple of days I went to camp they were awful, I know it is just camp, but still a reason to worry (For me at least). The year they won the Super Bowl, Bob Sanders missed most of the regular season, but returned for the playoffs. He was a huge difference maker.

GB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, GB4 said:

Surprisingly, Wilson is behind Kenny Moore on the depth chart (As of now). I do think this defense will be better than last year, I'm just not sure that is saying a lot. The couple of days I went to camp they were awful, I know it is just camp, but still a reason to worry (For me at least). The year they won the Super Bowl, Bob Sanders missed most of the regular season, but returned for the playoffs. He was a huge difference maker.

GB

I actually think the defense will be somewhat better this year.   At this point, I don't know how much better.  They are still going to have some starters/backups out due to injury so the game against Seattle won't tell us a whole lot.  The #1's are probably only going to play the first quarter so it will be a small sample size.  I don't care what the final score is (as with most preseason games).  I just want to see how that first quarter shakes out.  Can we run the ball?  Can we stop the run?  That is what I'll be looking at.  Tony C got hurt again (hammy) and I hear it won't be until maybe the last preseason game until he is back.  That cuts down the depth at left tackle which as we all know, protects Luck's backside.  Hopefully he (Luck) doesn't get blasted from a blindside hit due to a missed block!  The middle of the O line should be solid and why I am interested in how much success the running game has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tonight's the night!  Preseason is starting, baby!!!  Luck is starting and supposed to play the first quarter.  Will be good to see the new offensive line, the 4 - 3 defense, and some of the young players the Colts have signed and/or drafted.  Going to pay close attention to see whether or not the Colts can run the ball.  I know Seattle has lost some of their defensive talent, but they are still a formidable opponent.  Don't care whether or not if the Colts win, just want to see progress being made.  Will keep a close watch on the middle of the O line.  Nelson, Kelly, and Slauson should solidify the middle and the running game should follow.  If the offense can get clicking this year, Luck's play alone can cover up some other deficiencies in other areas of the team.  Batman has returned to Gotham!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I liked what I saw from Luck and I think he will be back to his old self. I also liked how the play calling got the ball out of his hands quicker instead of those long developing plays that Chud loves so much. The defense was about about what I expected. Breeland is still a FA, just saying.

GB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GB4 said:

I liked what I saw from Luck and I think he will be back to his old self. I also liked how the play calling got the ball out of his hands quicker instead of those long developing plays that Chud loves so much. The defense was about about what I expected. Breeland is still a FA, just saying.

GB

I would agree about Luck.  I had my doubts.  In fact for a while, I was thinking he would never play again.  Glad I was way wrong on that one.  The defense had a few moments here and there but still have a LOT of work to do.  I wasn't too thrilled over Thomas getting ejected.  At least the Colts can claim they are "first" on something this season.  They were the team with the first player ejected for the new helmet to helmet rule.  LOL  The over/under on wins for the Colts this year is 7.5.  I know it is a VERY small sample size, but after last night, I believe they can win 8 - 10 games this season if Luck stays healthy for the entire year.  Before camp started, the over/under for wins was 6.5.  That tells me they now give the Colts only one more win with Luck back practicing and playing healthy again.  I think he equates to more wins than that.  If they can keep the injury bug away, this team can win 9+ games.  Not trying to be a homer, just comparing from last year's fiasco.  Again, small sample size, but you can already see the O line is better.  That in itself is a huge difference.  Luck has the ability with his play, to cover up other deficiencies on the team.  All things being equal, this should be a very exciting year for Colts fans.  And for the record, it doesn't matter so much if they make the playoffs or win the division, THIS year.  I would look at 8 wins as progress and a step in the right direction.  I'm thinking after this season, Ballard is going to loosen the purse strings a little and spend more in free agency.  Just a hunch.  A lot of people are clamoring for the Colts to sign Mack of the Raiders.  I don't see that happening.  I'd rather see the Colts trade up next season and draft Bosa out of Ohio State.  They wouldn't have to spend the farm to get him like they would Mack.  And he would be a young guy (like most of the rest of the Colts team).  They may have to trade their first rounder and an additional pick to get him, but he's worth it.  They didn't get Chubb this year and practically any team who drafts Bosa is getting a starting DE.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×