Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Nowlin

ND vacates 21 wins. Appeal denied

Anyone else find it odd that they can only appeal to the organization that ruled they would vacate them in the first place? At least with the NFL and other pro sports, it’s part of the  cba, but still seems like the deck is stacked on any appeal. 

Vacating wins is just dumb.   Nobody cares, it will not hurt the ND brand.  

There is a lot of credibility to the criticisms of the NCAA sanctions, as contrasted with precedent. But for my money, when you engage in bad behavior, one of the risks is that the sanctioning authority will go overboard. Regardless of whether the ND “brand” will suffer, this is a bitter embarrassment for the program, and there needs to be consequences. If you’re going to hold your program out as aspiring to a higher standard than other programs — and Notre Dame clearly (and rightly, for the most part) does that — then you have to hold people accountable to a correspondingly greater degree. And I have felt for some time now that the “brand” has become more important than the bedrock values to which the program has always aspired. I think there is some serious self-critical analysis that needs to be applied in South Bend, hopefully with an eye on the big picture, rather than just on the bottom line.

• Upvote 2