Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 3A outlook

Arguably the most competitive and difficult class in Indiana outside of 6A.  Pound for pound some of the best programs in the state with plenty of talent to go with it.  3A has also produced some of the closest most thrilling games to watch in November with so many close games between top ranked opponents. 

Preseason top 10 from the digest with their records and Sagarin rankings from last year 

1) Bishop Chatard (7-5) 83.50

-Obviously were in 4A last year.  But we all know the drill.  Chatard is king of 3A and it’s up to everyone else to prove they are not. 

2) West Lafayette (9-1) 79.99

-Perennial Top 3 team for 3A.  Always competitive….just not always the best luck when it comes to the tournament draw or who is in their sectional 

3) Tri-West (11-3) 71.42

-Always find themselves in the top 10 but it ultimately is going to come down to the sectional. Sectional 29 no longer has Chatard but it does have Webo and Danville who are both ranked. 

4) Lawrenceburg (11-2) 77.36

-Another stable fixture of the Top 10 for 3A.  I personally have some questions after they graduated a lot of studs, including All-American/Notre Dame commit Ashton Craig.  Others more in the know seem to think it doesn’t matter and the tigers are reloading. 

5) Mish. Marian (11-4) 75.41

- I’m not familiar with Mish Marian at all.  I don’t even know their mascot.  What I do know is that they consistently get ranked in the top 5 at some point every year but they stall out in the playoffs. 

6) Gibson Southern (14-1) 94.32

-Reigning 3A champions and perennial top 5 team.  Have a number of key players returning…but ultimately Brady Allen is now at Purdue and now it’s time for the next group to step up and take this team as far as it can go.

7) Oak Hill (8-3) 46.46

-Arguably the biggest wild card in this ranking. Are they a new school? Looking at their stats from last year….They MAYBE graduated 3 starters.  Team was almost exclusively all sophomores and juniors playing.  Their RB ran for 1991 yards and 34TDs in 11 games…he is back. Definitely a team to keep an eye on if the stats are true because they will have plenty of returning starters the next 2 seasons

😎 Western Boone (7-5) 65.30

-Pound for pound one of the toughest programs in the state. Need to beat Danville and/or Tri-West to just win their sectional…but it’s a task they are surely up for.

9) Danville (10-2) 71.44

-Always so close always so far.  Danville is always a great team.  They just have ran into the likes of Tri-West and Chatard the last 3 years.  When it’s a battle of top 10 teams in November….you have to be at your very best and mistake free otherwise your season is over.

10) Delta (5-6) 50.44

-Moving down from 4A to 3A, they are in a unique position.  It appears like 9 or 10 of the offense and 7/8 of the defensive starters are returning.  Young core…but they were 5-6….but also they are likely at the top of 3A in terms of enrollment and having high 3A enrollment + a young core usually results in Ws and a postseason run. 

Honorable Mention

These are just some teams that I personally think are worth mentioning and very well may find themselves inside the top 5 at some point this season 

Hanover Central (11-2) 61.52

Tipp. Valley (10-1) 62.36

Heritage Hills (9-3) 64.47

Brownstown Central (11-1) 63.45

Mt. Vernon (Posey) (8-2) 65.62

Southridge (5-5) 57.40

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Arguably the most competitive and difficult class in Indiana outside of 6A.  Pound for pound some of the best programs in the state with plenty of talent to go with it.  3A has also produced some of the closest most thrilling games to watch in November with so many close games between top ranked opponents. 

Preseason top 10 from the digest with their records and Sagarin rankings from last year 

1) Bishop Chatard (7-5) 83.50

-Obviously were in 4A last year.  But we all know the drill.  Chatard is king of 3A and it’s up to everyone else to prove they are not. 

2) West Lafayette (9-1) 79.99

-Perennial Top 3 team for 3A.  Always competitive….just not always the best luck when it comes to the tournament draw or who is in their sectional 

WL renounced their Catholic faith and were exorcised out of the Sectional of Death. Got a pretty favorable placement in S25.  Will still have to likely meet Mishawaka Marian in regionals or Chatard in semi-state, but I have to imagine they will welcome the odds in S25 than the previous seasons where they had to always have that early exit at the hands of their "Catholic brethren" looming in their minds when the ping pong balls started bouncing.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, foxbat said:

WL renounced their Catholic faith and were exorcised out of the Sectional of Death. Got a pretty favorable placement in S25.  Will still have to likely meet Mishawaka Marian in regionals or Chatard in semi-state, but I have to imagine they will welcome the odds in S25 than the previous seasons where they had to always have that early exit at the hands of their "Catholic brethren" looming in their minds when the ping pong balls started bouncing.

In kind of the the same twist of fate….the same thing happened to Gibson Southern.  

they are no longer in sectional 32 with Heritage Hills Southridge….and where Memorial would be if they were in 3A.

They are now in Sectional 30.  Still have 8-2 Mt. Vernon and 10-1 Owen Valley in there…but it’s not the same as facing Heritage Hills in sectionals….or Memorial when they were in 3A.  Just like WL knows it’s not the same facing other teams when they have been battling Brebeuf and Chatard in their sectional 

• Like 1

Not sure Oak Hill belongs in there.  They may have a decent regular season record but unless they beat Eastbrook or Mississinewa (who both beat them by 4+ TD's last season) they play mostly smaller schools who haven't been very good lately.  It's a new season though and anything can happen.  We will see how improved they are in weeks 3 and 4.

I think Marian lost quite a bit but I'd still put them at 2 or 3.  Very consistent program.  Only 3A program to really challenge Chatard recently if my memory is correct and their regular season schedule prepares them to play good teams in the playoffs.  Unless their talent level just falls off the table, I'd expect them to win their sectional and give anyone a battle after that.  

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Not sure Oak Hill belongs in there.  They may have a decent regular season record but unless they beat Eastbrook or Mississinewa (who both beat them by 4+ TD's last season) they play mostly smaller schools who haven't been very good lately.  It's a new season though and anything can happen.  We will see how improved they are in weeks 3 and 4.

I think Marian lost quite a bit but I'd still put them at 2 or 3.  Very consistent program.  Only 3A program to really challenge Chatard recently if my memory is correct and their regular season schedule prepares them to play good teams in the playoffs.  Unless their talent level just falls off the table, I'd expect them to win their sectional and give anyone a battle after that.  

Trips to LOS are earned, let alone winning it…but I feel like Mish Marian is due.  I joined this forum 10 years ago and I swear they are always ranked around #3-5 every single year 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Trips to LOS are earned, let alone winning it…but I feel like Mish Marian is due.  I joined this forum 10 years ago and I swear they are always ranked around #3-5 every single year 

Marian has advanced to the semistate three straight years, only to run into Chatard, Chatard and a generational Brebeuf squad ... and lost the last two by a total of six points ... not only three straight semistates, but four of the last five and five of the last seven. A handful of really close losses in there. Feels like Marian in the semistate is the equivalent of Hobart in the State Finals in the 1970s/80s before they finally got over the hump. 

Bad news for them is Chatard is looped into the north semistate again. 

4 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Marian has advanced to the semistate three straight years, only to run into Chatard, Chatard and a generational Brebeuf squad ... and lost the last two by a total of six points ... not only three straight semistates, but four of the last five and five of the last seven. A handful of really close losses in there. Feels like Marian in the semistate is the equivalent of Hobart in the State Finals in the 1970s/80s before they finally got over the hump. 

Lord.  That is even more brutal than I expected.  To be that close so many times in a row.  Props to them though for keeping the culture and coming back every year still.  

How Calpreps sees 3A preseason:

Rank School State League Division W-L League W-L Division W-L Rating Schedule Strength Opponents' W-L
1 Bishop Chatard (Indianapolis, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Circle City 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 22.8 0 0-0
WINS: none, LOSSES: none

2 Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 19.1 0 0-0

3 West Lafayette (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Hoosier - West 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 18.1 0 0-0

4 Marian (Mishawaka, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Northern Indiana - East/West 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 18.0 0 0-0

5 Tri-West Hendricks (Lizton, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Sagamore 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 12.5 0 0-0

6 Owen Valley (Spencer, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Western Indiana - Gold 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 1.4 0 0-0

7 Lawrenceburg (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Eastern Indiana - 3A 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.3 0 0-0

8 Norwell (Ossian, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Northeast 8 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

9 Speedway (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Indiana Crossroads 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

10 Guerin Catholic [St. Theodore] (Noblesville, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Circle City 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

11 South Dearborn (Aurora, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Eastern Indiana - 4A 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

12 Hanover Central (Cedar Lake, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Greater South Shore - South 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

13 Delta (Muncie, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Hoosier Heritage 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

14 Southridge (Huntingburg, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Small School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -0.3 0 0-0

15 Yorktown (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Hoosier Heritage 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -0.6 0 0-0

1 hour ago, Titan32 said:

How Calpreps sees 3A preseason:

Rank School State League Division W-L League W-L Division W-L Rating Schedule Strength Opponents' W-L
1 Bishop Chatard (Indianapolis, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Circle City 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 22.8 0 0-0

2 Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 19.1 0 0-0

3 West Lafayette (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Hoosier - West 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 18.1 0 0-0

4 Marian (Mishawaka, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Northern Indiana - East/West 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 18.0 0 0-0

5 Tri-West Hendricks (Lizton, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Sagamore 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 12.5 0 0-0

6 Owen Valley (Spencer, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Western Indiana - Gold 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 1.4 0 0-0

7 Lawrenceburg (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Eastern Indiana - 3A 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.3 0 0-0

8 Norwell (Ossian, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Northeast 8 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

9 Speedway (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Indiana Crossroads 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

10 Guerin Catholic [St. Theodore] (Noblesville, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Circle City 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

11 South Dearborn (Aurora, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Eastern Indiana - 4A 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

12 Hanover Central (Cedar Lake, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Greater South Shore - South 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

13 Delta (Muncie, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Hoosier Heritage 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 0.0 0 0-0

14 Southridge (Huntingburg, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Small School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -0.3 0 0-0

15 Yorktown (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Hoosier Heritage 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -0.6 0 0-0

I take it Heritage Hills hasn’t submitted anything to Calpreps? That’s gotta be the most logical reason for them being outside the top 15 right now? 

40 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

I take it Heritage Hills hasn’t submitted anything to Calpreps? That’s gotta be the most logical reason for them being outside the top 15 right now? 

1 Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 19.1 0 0-0

2 Heritage Hills (Lincoln City, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -1.7 0 0-0

3 Mt. Vernon (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -4.0 0 0-0
1 minute ago, Titan32 said:
1 Gibson Southern (Fort Branch, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 19.1 0 0-0

2 Heritage Hills (Lincoln City, IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -1.7 0 0-0

3 Mt. Vernon (IN)   team preview   trend Indiana Pocket - Big School 3A 0-0 0-0 0-0 -4.0 0 0-0

Actually HH is one of the few PAC schools to fill it out.

On 7/23/2022 at 12:08 AM, crimsonace1 said:

Been there! Sophomore through junior seasons ended by Chatard in tough semistate games. Only losses, including beating 4A state champion Jasper in 2001. A year after that three year skid, Heritage Hills squeaked by the Trojans only to fall to a very good Andrean team. 

13 hours ago, Trojan said:

I've been a little out of the loop these last few years, so forgive the ignorance.  How did Chatard only spend one year in 4A?  Is this a COVID thing?

Covid thing ….there is a thread that discussed the reasoning about it.  It was a bit of a shock for a lot of people but 3A welcomes the challenge haha 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

718E5915-553A-4C52-B298-953A3D668BB5.jpeg.5868e63210e91fef7fef1485a3eb8b8e.jpeg

This is a weird week for Sagarin.  Outside of 3A you have Cathedral ranked 1st over Brownsburg despite Brownsburg handily beating them.

inside 3A….Gibson Southern gets a score 0 for SoS playing an out of state opponent in South Warren. 

just going to be weird with Sagarin having GS as the 9th best 3A team while the IFCA/AP polls will have them at either #1 or #2 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2022 at 1:53 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

718E5915-553A-4C52-B298-953A3D668BB5.jpeg.5868e63210e91fef7fef1485a3eb8b8e.jpeg

This is a weird week for Sagarin.  Outside of 3A you have Cathedral ranked 1st over Brownsburg despite Brownsburg handily beating them.

inside 3A….Gibson Southern gets a score 0 for SoS playing an out of state opponent in South Warren. 

just going to be weird with Sagarin having GS as the 9th best 3A team while the IFCA/AP polls will have them at either #1 or #2 

Yorktown with a nice win over delta last week.

• Like 1