Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

2022 4A outlook

I have been going back and forth on 4a, but I think I have landed on New Pal as my favorite to win it. I know Brebeuf lost a lot, don’t know how Roncalli will be but I’m sure they will be one of the top teams as well. Memorial and East Central should be up there too. We will see how Kokomo does, they’re only 4 years removed from a state title appearance. 

Definitely leaving some contenders out but 4a is probably the deepest class in terms of programs who can win it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bears62 said:

I have been going back and forth on 4a, but I think I have landed on New Pal as my favorite to win it. I know Brebeuf lost a lot, don’t know how Roncalli will be but I’m sure they will be one of the top teams as well. Memorial and East Central should be up there too. We will see how Kokomo does, they’re only 4 years removed from a state title appearance. 

Definitely leaving some contenders out but 4a is probably the deepest class in terms of programs who can win it all.

Brebeuf was one of the most impressive teams I saw last year. Yes, Strickland is gone, but DL/LB were as good as any group I saw outside of Cathedral and they return three of their top five tacklers. Their QB, Buckman, is also back and they throw it all over the place (although their WR corps almost all graduated). Brebeuf and Roncalli should be a really good matchup. 

4A south should be loaded. Roncalli lost a ton, as well, but always has talent waiting in the wings. East Central is always a contender. Mt. Vernon lost a lot to the diploma - especially Slunaker & La Belle - but still has a couple pretty good playmakers, especially Burhenn. They & New Pal will meet in Week 4 and will likely be the top two contenders in their sectional. New Pal is back in 4A for the first time since winning it in 2014 and has a really talented roster with multiple Div. I prospects/commits on both sides of the ball. 

Every weekend, especially from the sectional final weekend on, should be a meat-grinder just to get to Lucas Oil. 

10 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Brebeuf was one of the most impressive teams I saw last year. Yes, Strickland is gone, but DL/LB were as good as any group I saw outside of Cathedral and they return three of their top five tacklers. Their QB, Buckman, is also back and they throw it all over the place (although their WR corps almost all graduated). Brebeuf and Roncalli should be a really good matchup. 

4A south should be loaded. Roncalli lost a ton, as well, but always has talent waiting in the wings. East Central is always a contender. Mt. Vernon lost a lot to the diploma - especially Slunaker & La Belle - but still has a couple pretty good playmakers, especially Burhenn. They & New Pal will meet in Week 4 and will likely be the top two contenders in their sectional. New Pal is back in 4A for the first time since winning it in 2014 and has a really talented roster with multiple Div. I prospects/commits on both sides of the ball. 

Every weekend, especially from the sectional final weekend on, should be a meat-grinder just to get to Lucas Oil. 

Their QB can sling it.  In the state championship game he was able to hit a number of vertical routes with the WR in stride and just over the hands of the defenders.  

If he learns from this last season and cleans up some of the ints from forcing throws, he could really make a big splash. 

watching the Buckman/Walters connection vs the Allen/Heltsley connection in that state finals game was a lot of fun 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA

The pre-season favorites for the south (alphabetically)

21: Brebeuf, Mooresville, Roncalli

22: Mt Vernon, New Palestine 

23: East Central, Silver Creek

24: Jasper, Memorial, Reitz

I think the sectional winners will come from that group, and I would guess the eventual state champ as well.

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

I think the sectional winners will come from that group, and I would guess the eventual state champ as well.

Those sectional matchups are going to fun to watch in October/November. Good chance some will meet in the first round for some intriguing games

3 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Heard Reitz is concerned they haven't seen as much improvement as they hoped in their D. Can't win if you give up 35 points a game..

1 hour ago, tango said:

Heard Reitz is concerned they haven't seen as much improvement as they hoped in their D. Can't win if you give up 35 points a game..

I remember hearing some concerns on here about covering on big plays. But also have heard they are pretty fast in the backfield. Wonder what the Reitz coaches are thinking since they are projected to have improved defense.

• 2 weeks later...

Wayne. Don't sleep on the Generals. They have a good coach who is entering his third season. Wayne has some history of some very good teams with the right leadership in place. They will be battle tested playing in the SAC. They won't be ranked by season's end because the AP is mostly concerned with record and not SOS. But they very well may be one of the Top 10 teams in 4A. 

44 minutes ago, BTF said:

Wayne. Don't sleep on the Generals. They have a good coach who is entering his third season. Wayne has some history of some very good teams with the right leadership in place. They will be battle tested playing in the SAC. They won't be ranked by season's end because the AP is mostly concerned with record and not SOS. But they very well may be one of the Top 10 teams in 4A. 

Interesting comment. I agree that they have a great coach who has won various hardware at Harding and Woodlan. I would not be surprised to see a drastic turnaround at Wayne in year 3 under Haydock.

• 1 month later...
48 minutes ago, BTF said:

It's looking like Northwood out of the North. Unfortunately New Pal will blow through this class untouched. The Dragons would be a favorite to win it all in 6A. 

Watched a little bit of Northwood-Warsaw game and they were talking about big Warsaw NT who was 6’”4 280.  Big kid and dwarfed everyone else.  Roncalli has 4 guys starting on their O-line this size and imagine so does New Pal.  

Northwood looks so small.  

4 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

Watched a little bit of Northwood-Warsaw game and they were talking about big Warsaw NT who was 6’”4 280.  Big kid and dwarfed everyone else.  Roncalli has 4 guys starting on their O-line this size and imagine so does New Pal.  

Northwood looks so small.  

Would be neat if there was a breakdown of OL/DL sizes for the 4A contenders. Seems like the South, so far, has an advantage 

1 hour ago, BTF said:

It's looking like Northwood out of the North. Unfortunately New Pal will blow through this class untouched. The Dragons would be a favorite to win it all in 6A. 

I'd like to offer a rebuttal to the bolded response.....  But I think you are absolutely on point!  

And sadly, I really don't see any FW team doing anything in 4A this post-season.  "Thanks for your participation FW"   

New Pal is the favorite, but it is difficult for any team in their situation to stay focused. There is a lot of conference play yet and a lot could happen. If NP stays healthy, can finish conference play with running clocks, and Coach Ralph can keep them humble and eyes on the prize, but not looking past the Friday opponent up next, you are right no one can beat them. But 4A has some of the toughest competition out of all the classes. Roncalli is first and foremost the biggest challenge. Arguably an O line just as good as New Pals. I see them as the team to get out of that sectional. New Pal's section is a repeat of conference play which is always difficult to run through again. Honestly, New Pal is an extremely balanced team with few weaknesses. They have the traditional New Pal ground and pound run game behind probably the best O line in the state. They have a passing game that is just as good. They have a suffocating defense that is a turn over machine. New Pal's biggest opponent will be not beating themselves week in and week out.

3 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I'd like to offer a rebuttal to the bolded response.....  But I think you are absolutely on point!  

And sadly, I really don't see any FW team doing anything in 4A this post-season.  "Thanks for your participation FW"   

Lol, agree. I thought maybe Wayne would be a contender in the north, but now I'm not sure they can get past Leo or East Noble. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MonkeyButt said:

New Pal is the favorite, but it is difficult for any team in their situation to stay focused. There is a lot of conference play yet and a lot could happen. If NP stays healthy, can finish conference play with running clocks, and Coach Ralph can keep them humble and eyes on the prize, but not looking past the Friday opponent up next, you are right no one can beat them. But 4A has some of the toughest competition out of all the classes. Roncalli is first and foremost the biggest challenge. Arguably an O line just as good as New Pals. I see them as the team to get out of that sectional. New Pal's section is a repeat of conference play which is always difficult to run through again. Honestly, New Pal is an extremely balanced team with few weaknesses. They have the traditional New Pal ground and pound run game behind probably the best O line in the state. They have a passing game that is just as good. They have a suffocating defense that is a turn over machine. New Pal's biggest opponent will be not beating themselves week in and week out.

Since we are talking about OL, some of the other big lines in South I can think of is East Central, Mooresville, Evansville Reitz, Evansville Memorial, and I’m assuming Mt. Vernon has another big line too. However, Roncalli and New Pal arguably has the best due to a majority of them having D1 offers and what not. Exciting to see how the East Central/Roncalli game goes in a couple of weeks.

2 hours ago, MonkeyButt said:

Are New Pal's best guys playing both ways as usual. Sorry if that's a redundant question. I feel like it was discussed in another thread. 

14 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Would be neat if there was a breakdown of OL/DL sizes for the 4A contenders. Seems like the South, so far, has an advantage 

I have Roncalli's and East Central's starters.

I have the New Pal roster, but need to work on line ups.  Do you have Memorial's and Reitz's?