Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

In Indiana!!!! But, Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and others in the south have it.

Practice no:   Open Facility yes.    

I am good as long Summer doesn't change in any way shape or form for Football.  

Still not holding my breathe on when IHSAA will force some sort of restrictions like they said they were going to 5 years ago in IFCA meeting when we were forced to develop a plan as you see today, which I fully endorse, but still waiting on Basketball et al to have to follow suit........   Again not holding my breathe 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Coach Snyder said:

In Indiana!!!! But, Texas, Florida, South Carolina, Georgia, and others in the south have it.

These states have spring football, but to varying degrees. 

I was in Florida for three years and spring football was basically a month of football that concluded with a game versus another team, but kicking game wasn't live. 

I am currently in South Carolina and this will be my first spring but we are basically two weeks of practice with an intrasquad scrimmage at the end. 

I haven't been in Indiana for five years now, but I liked the summer 11 on 11 stuff that we were doing my last few years around. It had quite a bit of flexibility and we didn't have as many conflicts with spring athlete's schedules. 

Most I have spoken too outside of Indiana would GLADLY give up the spring sessions to have the summer rules Indiana allows.   These comments were from Ohio, Florida, California 

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Most I have spoken too outside of Indiana would GLADLY give up the spring sessions to have the summer rules Indiana allows.   These comments were from Ohio, Florida, California 

Yeah, I think the things you can do in Indiana during the summer with scripting situational reps during an 11 on 11 and making sure your 1's and 2's are both getting quality reps is pretty awesome. I would gladly take those opportunities over the spring footballs in both Florida and South Carolina...but the winter weather is a deal breaker!

• Haha 1

When I coached in Tennessee about 8 years ago we got 2 weeks of spring ball and 2 of those days could be controlled scrimmages with other teams. We were fighting to get baseball kids though. I highly prefer the current Indiana summer format. 

Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, brvheart63 said:

What is the rule about Spring Football for high school kids?

Perhaps you should ask Warren Central?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

12 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Still not holding my breathe on when IHSAA will force some sort of restrictions like they said they were going to 5 years ago in IFCA meeting when we were forced to develop a plan as you see today, which I fully endorse, but still waiting on Basketball et al to have to follow suit........   Again not holding my breathe 

I was privy to some of those discussions, and we (ICGSA) were told limited to no contact was on the table for summer. I encouraged our members to be proactive, and I think the IFCA did a great job of getting out in front of it. The Student Advisory Council voted about 3 years ago unanimously for no contact in the summer. We were told Bobby puts a lot of faith in what the Student Advisory Council says. I would say the two sports that are really going to fight limiting the summer are Basketball and Volleyball.  

I'm a strong proponent of limiting the summer. I think the demands coaches put on kids (and their families) in the summer border on insanity. Oddly enough most of the insanity resides with Volleyball and Basketball. 

Edited by Impartial_Observer
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Perhaps you should ask Warren Central?

Sorry I couldn't resist.

I was privy to some of those discussions, and we (ICGSA) were told limited to no contact was on the table for summer. I encouraged our members to be proactive, and I think the IFCA did a great job of getting out in front of it. The Student Advisory Council voted about 3 years ago unanimously for no contact in the summer. We were told Bobby puts a lot of faith in what the Student Advisory Council says. I would say the two sports that are really going to fight limiting the summer are Basketball and Volleyball.  

I'm a strong proponent of limiting the summer. I think the demands coaches put on kids (and their families) in the summer border on insanity. Oddly enough most of the insanity resides with Volleyball and Basketball. 

In my opinion, Baseball is surpassing basketball in this respect.  We have kids that are playing baseball from the spring until August 1.  The number of games and tournaments are outrageous.  A kid can travel with several groups and fill an entire summer.

I prefer the summer schedule over spring practices.  As a track guy also, that would significantly ding our participation level.

Last year a team was out in the spring afternoon. They were playing 7 on 7 in late April. I was told the coach was not on the field. However, it was a varsity game field. 

16 minutes ago, punttheball said:

In my opinion, Baseball is surpassing basketball in this respect.  We have kids that are playing baseball from the spring until August 1.  The number of games and tournaments are outrageous.  A kid can travel with several groups and fill an entire summer.

Not sure if it still happens, but at one time, we had kids playing double headers on Sundays, during the fall. These same kids were often late for early practices because of regional or national tourneys. Never coached a kid who advanced to any level of professional baseball. 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, punttheball said:

From what I can see, this is more a travel sport issue than a high school issue. I'm speaking specifically at high school teams/coaches. Coaches demanding their players attend summer stuff. Yea we all know it's voluntary, but we also know "those" coaches are out there. They're at every school. 

FYI we had a 12 year old baseball team locally, with high school coaches' kids on the team, that played 16 straight weekends starting in April. 

Not sure if anyone else does this, but some of the Wabash River Conference Schools have Spring football for 5th-6th grade. It lasts for the month of April, and includes four round-robin controlled scrimmages in the last two weeks. It is a great benefit for high school coaches to be able to work with one of their younger age groups for a month.

16 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I'm a firm believer in 'the point of diminishing returns.' I think basketball oversteps their bounds by a mile. I'll just never understand why coaches make their kids play so much basketball over the summer. It's insane to me. 

1 hour ago, brvheart63 said:

Last year a team was out in the spring afternoon. They were playing 7 on 7 in late April. I was told the coach was not on the field. However, it was a varsity game field. 

Are you sure it was high school players?  Several schools do a "camp" of sorts for they middle/school junior high programs in late spring.

www.neinskillscamp.com & sos camps are how we do spring football in Indiana.

Neinskillscamp.com does 6 hours of non-padded/non-contact position drills over a 15 day period and then conclude w/ a 1.5 hour practice in which all of the college coaches from the 5 state area are invited to observe. We usually have about 50 colleges present.

We supply all of the benefits of spring football (fundamentals, footwork, agility drills,  7 vs. 7 etc... of each position & contact w/ college coaches) except team work. Additionally, I believe the neinskillscamp.com is one of the cheapest private athletic experiences in all of the state.

On 3/7/2018 at 3:05 PM, US 31 said:

Are you sure it was high school players?  Several schools do a "camp" of sorts for they middle/school junior high programs in late spring.

There was one high school team. They were on their school varsity field. They had coaches coaching them during this 7 on 7 unsupervised event. Athletes had to leave an event to go work out with FB team later in an evening. 

Posted (edited)

The basketball and volleyball mentions are one reason I wish athletic associations would do 4 sports seasons. Think they would do better in making sure the athletes are taking care of than clubs and etc. I'd make the schedule for an athletic year as follows: summer, fall, winter, and spring. So the summer season between 8th and 9th grade academic year would consider the athlete as a 9th grader. I'd keep the current rule that you need a waiver to do a sport outside of school.

Edited by basement bias

On 3/8/2018 at 3:14 PM, brvheart63 said:

There was one high school team. They were on their school varsity field. They had coaches coaching them during this 7 on 7 unsupervised event. Athletes had to leave an event to go work out with FB team later in an evening. 

Call IHSAA if you feel strongly that their has been a violation 

Here is a solution. Last night Culver played Mishawaka Marian in Rugby. Good conditioning for the boys.

DSCF1622.JPG

DSCF1625.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1