Sign in to follow this  
MarshallCounty

Elkhart Memorial leaves an opening in the NLC

Posted (edited)

The NLC announced that with the merger in Elkhart at the start of the 2020 school year, the NLC will have an opening.  They will begin applications for new members to fill that void.

Edited by MarshallCounty

My money is on Jimtown.  Super competitive in Football and Wrestling, recently added some sports to their athletic department.  What does everyone else think? 

• Upvote 1

New Prairie would be the best fit for the NLC.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Do not be surprised if Bremen puts out feelers. 

Edited by MarshallCounty
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Any worries that Bremen would be too small to compete in the NLC year in and year out? 

Ummmm..... My concern isn't about school size but the commitment from the administration to put the right coaches in charge of programs.  The school lacks teachers that are willing to coach, as a result they have to rely on a number of lay coaches.  Many of those lay coaches are space fillers. This isn't just a Bremen problem.  

East Noble or New Prairie would be good "fits" from a competitive stand point....puts travel longer.  East Noble has usually played at least 2 NLC teams on their schedule every year I can remember.

Jimtown and Bremen are good "fits" from a geography/historical perspective.  Most NLC schools play these schools in other sports.  Bremen is a former member if I recall.

Here is an off the wall idea that wouldn't happen....Penn????????  I think the conference schedule would be more competitive most years....especially with Bart now at Warsaw.  The real monkey wrench would be only having two non-conf football games.  This would limit the ability to play larger region schools or some of the out of state powers they've done historically.  Most NLC schools already schedule Penn in other sports, so outside of football I think its an even better fit.

From a competitive stand point...I think East Noble would be best across all sports.

For a pipe dream perspective...Penn would be cool.

If I'm betting actual money....Jimtown.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Any chance Bart twists arms internally and pushes Warsaw to the SAC?  At this point in his career, why would he jump to a lesser conference?   That would better balance conference enrollment and open 2 slots.  I think Marian might be a player in this scenario as well.

Edited by DrivenT
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

That would require a little bit of effort on our admin’s part. They’ll stay put until Jimtown and Glenn put a package deal together somewhere now that NP moved up with the big boys 😂😂

2 hours ago, US 31 said:

East Noble or New Prairie would be good "fits" from a competitive stand point....puts travel longer.  East Noble has usually played at least 2 NLC teams on their schedule every year I can remember.

Jimtown and Bremen are good "fits" from a geography/historical perspective.  Most NLC schools play these schools in other sports.  Bremen is a former member if I recall.

Here is an off the wall idea that wouldn't happen....Penn????????  I think the conference schedule would be more competitive most years....especially with Bart now at Warsaw.  The real monkey wrench would be only having two non-conf football games.  This would limit the ability to play larger region schools or some of the out of state powers they've done historically.  Most NLC schools already schedule Penn in other sports, so outside of football I think its an even better fit.

From a competitive stand point...I think East Noble would be best across all sports.

For a pipe dream perspective...Penn would be cool.

If I'm betting actual money....Jimtown.

Bremen does not play Plymouth or Northwood in boys basketball, football or baseball so no way Bremen goes to NLC

No chance the current NLC members allow Bremen back in the conference!  They left once, and that bridge is destroyed.  No turning back.

My money is also on Jimtown.

5 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Any chance Bart twists arms internally and pushes Warsaw to the SAC?  At this point in his career, why would he jump to a lesser conference?   That would better balance conference enrollment and open 2 slots.  I think Marian might be a player in this scenario as well.

what is the sac

6 minutes ago, wchs tiger fan said:

what is the sac

The conference for the Ft. Wayne schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Fine Print said:

No chance the current NLC members allow Bremen back in the conference!  They left once, and that bridge is destroyed.  No turning back.

My money is also on Jimtown.

What specific bridges have been burned?  Was Bremen's prior departure so devastating on the other conference members that they would not have an opportunity to rejoin at some point in the future?  Please elaborate.  

9 hours ago, DrivenT said:

What specific bridges have been burned?  Was Bremen's prior departure so devastating on the other conference members that they would not have an opportunity to rejoin at some point in the future?  Please elaborate.  

I suppose the administrations have changed since Bremen left, so maybe attitudes have changed.  My take is that the NLC schools did not want Bremen in the conference in the late 70s and 80s.  (I played for Bremen in a football game against Goshen where the Goshen fans were chanting "Bremen out of the conference.")  Bremen was too small, and even if they could compete, playing Bremen was a no win situation for the larger schools.  So I suppose the burned bridges are more on the side of the other NLC schools.  I know Bremen could be competitive in a few sports, but I don't see them as a good fit for the NLC.

1 hour ago, Major Reisman said:

Mishawaka

I like this idea.  Any desire for Mishawaka to put some distance between themselves and Penn?

Mishawaka seems like a logical fit.  One high school town.  Great fan support.  Travels well.

They can still work out playing Penn in all sports

AD's are always looking for games with people that bring fans - the dollar speaks

Why not?

11 minutes ago, Coach_G said:

Niles, MI.  

Enrollment?

Just now, Coach_G said:

Around 900

Do they play any IN schools?  The size isn't tragically smaller....it would be an interesting.

...and a great haunted house if I'm not mistaken ;) (thinking back to the 90s...lol)

My guess is the NLC wants Mishawaka.  Not sure if Mishawaka wants the NLC.  Mishawaka fits the mold of a typical NLC school.  Good location, public school, competitive, similar size, one community school, etc.  

Jimtown obviously wants in (adding sports the NLC has).  However, Jimtown is quite a bit smaller than most NLC schools and not very competitive in several sports.  Average NLC enrollment is around 1400.  Northwood is smallest with about 850.  Jimtown is in the 600s. 

Having said that, If Mishawaka doesn't apply, it will be Jimtown.  

Posted (edited)

They are the smallest school in their league, and open to a change.  They might fit better in the NIC, replacing someone moving to the NLC.   Niles has been a sub .500 team for a while, but like I said they are playing over their head enrollment wise.  They've played Fairfield the last two seasons...winning both, one close one not.  

Edwardsburg MI would be a great get, geographically and competitively.  However, they are the big dog in their league, and things are really clicking I doubt they want to change the current formula for no obviously important reason.  

Edited by Coach_G
  • Downvote 1