Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
MarshallCounty

Elkhart Memorial leaves an opening in the NLC

Recommended Posts

Speaking for me personally I would love to St Joe move to NLC.  Probably won't happen but it has been fun playing some of the schools in past.  Nice facilities.  Communities that support their team. Schools that have fans follow them.  

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NLC123 said:

My guess is the NLC wants Mishawaka.  Not sure if Mishawaka wants the NLC.  Mishawaka fits the mold of a typical NLC school.  Good location, public school, competitive, similar size, one community school, etc.  

Jimtown obviously wants in (adding sports the NLC has).  However, Jimtown is quite a bit smaller than most NLC schools and not very competitive in several sports.  Average NLC enrollment is around 1400.  Northwood is smallest with about 850.  Jimtown is in the 600s. 

Having said that, If Mishawaka doesn't apply, it will be Jimtown.  

Mishawaka will be the NLC's first choice IMO.  Perfect fit for both parties.

Size of Jimtown and overall competitive makeup makes them less than appealing. That said, I assume they will be the second choice after Mishawaka.

Not sure the NLC has interest in getting away from being an all public school conference.

Edited by scarletknights

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Indian72 said:

Speaking for me personally I would love to St Joe move to NLC.  Probably won't happen but it has been fun playing some of the schools in past.  Nice facilities.  Communities that support their team. Schools that have fans follow them.  

I too have enjoyed our recent matches against St. Joe...but if i had to bet money, it'd be on Jimtown. 

If I had my wish it would be Edwardsburg (not gonna happen because seasons don't line up). 

New Prairie would be great fit, but too far for Syracuse/Warsaw to drive on a week night. 

East Noble would be good too but I'm thinking they're happy in the NE8. 

Mishawaka/St. Joe/Marian would all be great fits too. 

But I'm guessing it's Jimtown or go back to 7 for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Major Reisman said:

Mishawaka

6 hours ago, NLC123 said:

My guess is the NLC wants Mishawaka.  Not sure if Mishawaka wants the NLC.  Mishawaka fits the mold of a typical NLC school.  Good location, public school, competitive, similar size, one community school, etc.  

Jimtown obviously wants in (adding sports the NLC has).  However, Jimtown is quite a bit smaller than most NLC schools and not very competitive in several sports.  Average NLC enrollment is around 1400.  Northwood is smallest with about 850.  Jimtown is in the 600s. 

Having said that, If Mishawaka doesn't apply, it will be Jimtown.  

 

My first preference is that the NLC just stays at 7. Having said that, if they did add an 8th, I believe Mishawaka and East Noble would make excellent additions in raising the the competitive profile across all athletics in the conference. New Prairie would be a good fit, but the distance (and time zone difference) are hurdles that Mishawaka and East Noble do not have to overcome. Not just speaking from "Warsaw-tinted" glasses, but I personally see little to no reason to seriously consider Jimtown or Bremen. I've discussed that in other threads previously, but considering Jimtown is around a quarter smaller than the current smallest school in the conference...

I understand football wise Jimtown could and would be competitive. But in boy's basketball, they've gone 2-22 against NLC squads (NorthWood, Concord, Goshen, Northridge and Plymouth) over the last 6 or 7 years. Girl's basketball has been trending down the last 6 seasons following a decent run in the mid to late 2000s and haven't necessarily been historically successful. The only other thing that historically (outside of football) that comes to mind with Jimtown sports is wrestling.

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

 

My first preference is that the NLC just stays at 7. Having said that, if they did add an 8th, I believe Mishawaka and East Noble would make excellent additions in raising the the competitive profile across all athletics in the conference. New Prairie would be a good fit, but the distance (and time zone difference) are hurdles that Mishawaka and East Noble do not have to overcome. Not just speaking from "Warsaw-tinted" glasses, but I personally see little to no reason to seriously consider Jimtown or Bremen. I've discussed that in other threads previously, but considering Jimtown is around a quarter smaller than the current smallest school in the conference...

I understand football wise Jimtown could and would be competitive. But in boy's basketball, they've gone 2-22 against NLC squads (NorthWood, Concord, Goshen, Northridge and Plymouth) over the last 6 or 7 years. Girl's basketball has been trending down the last 6 seasons following a decent run in the mid to late 2000s and haven't necessarily been historically successful. The only other thing that historically (outside of football) that comes to mind with Jimtown sports is wrestling.

Time zone aside, although very important, the distance to East Noble from Plymouth may be just as great as the distance from Northridge to New Prairie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

 

My first preference is that the NLC just stays at 7. Having said that, if they did add an 8th, I believe Mishawaka and East Noble would make excellent additions in raising the the competitive profile across all athletics in the conference. New Prairie would be a good fit, but the distance (and time zone difference) are hurdles that Mishawaka and East Noble do not have to overcome. Not just speaking from "Warsaw-tinted" glasses, but I personally see little to no reason to seriously consider Jimtown or Bremen. I've discussed that in other threads previously, but considering Jimtown is around a quarter smaller than the current smallest school in the conference...

I understand football wise Jimtown could and would be competitive. But in boy's basketball, they've gone 2-22 against NLC squads (NorthWood, Concord, Goshen, Northridge and Plymouth) over the last 6 or 7 years. Girl's basketball has been trending down the last 6 seasons following a decent run in the mid to late 2000s and haven't necessarily been historically successful. The only other thing that historically (outside of football) that comes to mind with Jimtown sports is wrestling.

Trying to fill a football schedule with mid season open dates is not easy to do with so many teams in conference play.  Even number is the best

Is there a time frame when a decision has to be made?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Indian72 said:

Trying to fill a football schedule with mid season open dates is not easy to do with so many teams in conference play.  Even number is the best

Is there a time frame when a decision has to be made?

True. Very good point on football scheduling, but the NLC was 7 members from when Bremen left in 1988 until Memorial joined in 2001.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Geographically Plymouth should be in NIC and another could fill NLC, Fairfield, Jimtown, Mishawaka, Penn, Elkhart Central, West Noble, Adams, Marion, St Joe

  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I could see no team leaving the NLC to join the NIC

What advantage is that?

Decrease gate for sure.

Depending on the school you are playing

Edited by Indian72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Curious question here, is the combined Elk HS ruled out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, jmills said:

Geographically Plymouth should be in NIC and another could fill NLC, Fairfield, Jimtown, Mishawaka, Penn, Elkhart Central, West Noble, Adams, Marion, St Joe

Plymouth was one of the founding members (1 of only 2 left unless you count NW). 

It isn't the most fun drive on a week night from Middlebury to Plymouth via the pothole ridden Plymouth/Goshen Trail, but neither is a trip from Warsaw or Syracuse to Osceola, Mishawaka, or South Bend.

Size/Sport wise, would rule out an ideal match for Fairfield, Jimtown, West Noble, or former member Bremen.

I don't think we're gonna find a better fit than Mishawaka, St. Joe, Marian, or East Noble all things considered....just not sure on the interest from any of them.

Edited by NRRaider2001

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t imagine East Noble leaving the Northeast 8 to join a conference without a single school they share a district border with.  They would be on an island over 40 minutes away from their nearest competitor. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard that New Prairie might be seeking to go independent?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They could be like ND, and stay in the NIC for all sports but football.  This would let them schedule teams that want to play them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/9/2018 at 12:42 PM, Coach_G said:

Curious question here, is the combined Elk HS ruled out?

yes they are because they are going to the nic

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/15/2018 at 7:34 PM, wchs tiger fan said:

yes they are because they are going to the nic

 

 

 

 

Although, contrary to information earlier in this thread, that wasn't officially announced until yesterday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, irish4ever said:

What about Columbia City joining the NLC?

We'd just go from being the furthest west school in the NE8 to being the furthest east/southeastern school in the NLC. Most of our travel times would be about the same. There's no real advantage to changing conferences. It's also probably a step up in competition for us, and right now we're a middle-of-the-pack team in the NE8 in a majority of sports...

Edited by CityCoach53
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/12/2018 at 10:49 AM, BSUKingsmen said:

East Noble has inquired

i hope not

On 3/20/2018 at 12:18 PM, irish4ever said:

What about Columbia City joining the NLC?

no not at all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 5 "Impact" programs NLC should consider :

1. Mishawaka - big name and a huge competitive boost

2. Mishawaka Marian - PP addition would be good for the NLC

3. New Prairie - great rivalries will develop on the gridiron.

4. Jimtown - a bit smallish but a solid brand and great history.  

5. Culver Academy - Interesting and intriguing

How about adding all 5, and going to a 12 team East-West alignment ?

NLC West

New Prairie, Mishawaka, Mishawaka Marian, Plymouth, Jimtown, Culver Academy

NLC East

Warsaw, Goshen, Wawasee, Northridge, Northwood, Concord

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Top 5 "Impact" programs NLC should consider :

1. Mishawaka - big name and a huge competitive boost

2. Mishawaka Marian - PP addition would be good for the NLC

3. New Prairie - great rivalries will develop on the gridiron.

4. Jimtown - a bit smallish but a solid brand and great history.  

5. Culver Academy - Interesting and intriguing

How about adding all 5, and going to a 12 team East-West alignment ?

NLC West

New Prairie, Mishawaka, Mishawaka Marian, Plymouth, Jimtown, Culver Academy

NLC East

Warsaw, Goshen, Wawasee, Northridge, Northwood, Concord

it would be alright if the conference well go along with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×