Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Irishman

2018 Free Agency and other off season moves

Colts sign G Jack Mewhort to a one year deal.

GB 

Patriots trade WR Brandin Cooks and a 4th round pick to the Rams for their 2018 1st round pick and 6th round pick.

GB

8 hours ago, GB4 said:

Patriots trade WR Brandin Cooks and a 4th round pick to the Rams for their 2018 1st round pick and 6th round pick.

GB

And if history is any guide, the Pats will trade that No. 1 pick for several lower round picks.

1 hour ago, bobref said:

And if history is any guide, the Pats will trade that No. 1 pick for several lower round picks.

I don't think that will be the case this year. I expect them to be ready to trade up for a QB if one of the top 3-4 on their board starts to fall out of the top 10. BB has said many times that he wants to leave the team in good hands at the QB position, so this is a really good chance for him to draft one that he likes and prep him for a year or two. Now has 2 picks in each of the first 2 rounds and a 3rd rounder as well this year.

42 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

I don't think that will be the case this year. I expect them to be ready to trade up for a QB if one of the top 3-4 on their board starts to fall out of the top 10. BB has said many times that he wants to leave the team in good hands at the QB position, so this is a really good chance for him to draft one that he likes and prep him for a year or two. Now has 2 picks in each of the first 2 rounds and a 3rd rounder as well this year.

You might be right. But I’m trying to think of the last time the Patriots traded up in an early round, and can’t come up with an example.

17 minutes ago, bobref said:

You might be right. But I’m trying to think of the last time the Patriots traded up in an early round, and can’t come up with an example.

I agree, it would certainly be out of character. I believe in 2012 they moved up a couple times to get Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower in the first round.  

As a fan I would rather see them use their first round picks on a left tackle and a defensive athlete and then look for a QB early in round 2.

37 minutes ago, FishDuck said:

I agree, it would certainly be out of character. I believe in 2012 they moved up a couple times to get Chandler Jones and Donta Hightower in the first round.  

As a fan I would rather see them use their first round picks on a left tackle and a defensive athlete and then look for a QB early in round 2.

Mel Kiper has the Pats taking Mason Rudolph in the 2nd round.