Sign in to follow this  
Irishman

2018 Free Agency and other off season moves

The big one it seems is that Jordy Nelson was released in Green Bay, but there are some other significant moves. Looks like the Vikings went all in with Cousins.

Danny Amendola left the Pats for Miami. Jordy Nelson would sure look good in Foxboro.

Nelson would be a great fit in New England, but they need to make sure Solder is coming back before they go after anyone else. Have also heard that Amendola was asked to take less money to clear some room for Suh to sign with the Pats.

If they are able to resign Solder, get Nelson and Suh, and potentially resign Rex Burkhead I will call it a successful offseason.

Still don't understand what the Colts are doing...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FishDuck said:

Nelson would be a great fit in New England, but they need to make sure Solder is coming back before they go after anyone else. Have also heard that Amendola was asked to take less money to clear some room for Suh to sign with the Pats.

If they are able to resign Solder, get Nelson and Suh, and potentially resign Rex Burkhead I will call it a successful offseason.

Well at least 1 of those moves, if not 2 appears to be out of possibility. Sad to see Solder go, but understand not paying up the way the Giants appear to be. Nelson is a guy I'd really like to see them go after, but it looks like he has 3 other visits already set up.

In Bill We Trust

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, FishDuck said:

Agree! Not doing anything that we as fans can see.  Ballard is in a pivotal year to  me.  He must do something that gives at least me hope that this is a team of the present/future.  I am wavering slightly.  I thought we would have at least made a move on one or two top tier free agents.  Maybe Jordy Nelson or Solder.  The Colts could use either one or both.

Edited by punttheball

So long and happy retirement to Joe Thomas. A true ironman. Never started a season 1-0. Had 20 different starting QBs in his career. Never on a winning team. Never missed a rep until his last season. What a player.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, FishDuck said:

So long and happy retirement to Joe Thomas. A true ironman. Never started a season 1-0. Had 20 different starting QBs in his career. Never on a winning team. Never missed a rep until his last season. What a player.

Over 10,000 career snaps before he missed a single play. Unbelievable at that position.

5 hours ago, punttheball said:

Agree! Not doing anything that we as fans can see.  Ballard is in a pivotal year to  me.  He must do something that gives at least me hope that this is a team of the present/future.  I am wavering slightly.  I thought we would have at least made a move on one or two top tier free agents.  Maybe Jordy Nelson or Solder.  The Colts could use either one or both.

He is doing exactly what he said he was going to do. He has been very open about buildi g through the draft and not overspending.

GB 

• Downvote 1

I get not overspending on Norwell, Solder, Malcolm Butler, and some of the top level WR's that are getting overpaid. However; guys like Anthony Hitchens, Carlos Hyde, Isaiah Crowell got contracts that were more than fair for the team signing them and are guys the Colts could use to fill some really big holes. And with the current state of the franchise and the Andrew Luck situation weighing heavily on the fans minds it might not be a terrible idea to overspend a little on a guy who can come in and be a difference maker on the field and in the locker room.

I'm all for primarily building through the draft, but when you don't want to sign your own players back and you don't want to spend $ in free agency you are taking the long road to a rebuild. If you roll your cap space over to next year you will only end up overpaying then instead of saving anything in the long run.

Too many holes for this team to only build through the draft. Still time to make some decent signings this FA period, but if they continue to just sit on what they have they will need to wake the fans up in 3 years when they are competitive again with Ten and Jax who are getting better now.

I know for a fact they talked to Hitchens, Watkins, and Norwell (Through Colts beat writers) and I am sure there is more we dont know about. They chose to sign elsewhere. All I am saying is, it comes as no surprise. This is exactly what Ballard said he was going to do all along. There are still a lot of good young football players.

GB

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

We get the idea that Ballard is a man of integrity and is keeping his word.  I watched him sit on his hands last year and then sign guys that were cut, injured, or non-factors after the season started.  

I am ok with letting Moncrief go.  He was a cancer in the locker room.  But we have a few guys that could help the team out there test the market.  We also let Htchens go for a reasonable price to the Chiefs.  We could make a big splash for a reasonable investment with Suh and Poe.  The DL would demand instant respect.  Especially if they take Chubb at number 3.

Edited by punttheball

1 hour ago, punttheball said:

We get the idea that Ballard is a man of integrity and is keeping his word.  I watched him sit on his hands last year and then sign guys that were cut, injured, or non-factors after the season started.  

I am ok with letting Moncrief go.  He was a cancer in the locker room.  But we have a few guys that could help the team out there test the market.  We also let Htchens go for a reasonable price to the Chiefs.  We could make a big splash for a reasonable investment with Suh and Poe.  The DL would demand instant respect.  Especially if they take Chubb at number 3.

Right. Those guys you just mentioned are still Free agents. They can still make a splash and not be apart of the craziness that is the beginning of free agency. All I am saying is, he is doing exactly what he said he would do, so it shouldn't be a shock. I am willing to be patient and see what Ballard does before I freak out.

GB 

3 minutes ago, GB4 said:

Right. Those guys you just mentioned are still Free agents. They can still make a splash and not be apart of the craziness that is the beginning of free agency. All I am saying is, he is doing exactly what he said he would do, so it shouldn't be a shock. I am willing to be patient and see what Ballard does before I freak out.

GB 

I hope you are right.  Maybe I am still gun shy from the Grigson era.

8 minutes ago, punttheball said:

I hope you are right.  Maybe I am still gun shy from the Grigson era.

I definitely can understand that.

GB 

Miami cleaning house on some perceived trouble makers:   Sends a strong message

Suh, landry, now Pouncy 

Two former Washington players have failed physicals with two different teams to nullify their deals.

GB

Posted (edited)

Colts continue to lose out on free agent after free agent.  Melvin gone(cheap to the Raiders), lost out on Jensen(42 mil for 4 years to the bucs; expensive, but what price are you willing to pay to have Luck playing?),  and Poe(to the panthers for 9 mil a year; to expensive ?).  Who do we target next that Grigson....I mean Ballard cannot close on?  

Did the McDaniels situation send a bigger message around the league then we on the surface do not know about?  Are players fearful of coming to the Colts?  4-12 seems like a better situation then 0-16, but Cleveland seems to be getting things done. This is a business, that is the phrase you always hear.  But is there an underlying problem we don't see?  I am losing faith that Ballard can close a deal.  The Titans and Jags are separating themselves and to some degree the Texans are too.  The Colts are staring down a worse record in 2018.  Patience in the market is turning into an excuse not the policy.  When names start popping up like Ryan Grant(failed physical in Baltimore), who caught 45 passes last year for the Redskins, I'm not impressed.  He had a 4 year 29 million dollar deal nullified.  We are going to pay that out for  a No. 3 or depth receiver?  We only have seven picks in this years draft.  You cannot build a franchise through the draft with 7 picks.  Those numbers do not improve in 2019.  The colts are selling use a bunch of crap.  

I feel better now.  Feel free to post the "we knew that Ballard was going to be patient in free agency" GB4.  I just needed to say this.  Are you still feeling warm and fuzzy about the Ballard approach?

Edited by punttheball
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

Colts acquire draft picks! Trade down to number 6 and receive three second round picks.  Two In this draft and one in 2019.

Edited by punttheball

Good trade for the Colts. There’s a good chance Chubb will fall to 6, if not there’s more room to trade back. Or they can afford to reach a little on a linebacker or receiver like Calvin Ridley. My pick would be Nelson at 6, but can’t really go long if there’s someone you really like. Need to get 3 quality starters in the first 3 rounds this year 

Grigson gave big money to LaRon Landry, Gosder Cherilus, Art Jones, and others. You say you don't want another Grigson and keep comparing them, but they are polar opposites. To answer your question, I don't know how I feel about it yet, but I think today's trade was a good start.

GB 

• Upvote 1

At this point, I would like to see the Colts tradeLuck to the Cleveland Browns for their first two first-round picks and their two second round picks. I cannot see Cleveland being happy with Tyrod Taylor as their number one quarterback.

16 minutes ago, punttheball said:

Any Chance the Bills try and move up into 6 spot for the 12 and 22 pick?

From http://m.colts.com/news/article-1/Chris-Ballard-Jets-Trade-Gives-Colts-‘A-Chance-To-Really-Replenish-Our-Young-Talent’/807c5a98-74f1-4f8d-8085-d6f54a71c2d5

When it comes to April's NFL Draft, Ballard said the Colts won't rule out the possibility of trading back again from No. 6-overall. But he feels confident the team can and will get a major contributor in that spot, so it would take another gigantic offer to make that type of move.

"We're still open. You know, we'll still be open if an opportunity - the right opportunity - presents itself at (No.) 6 to move down," Ballard said. "But right now we feel pretty good. It would have to be a pretty attractive offer for us to move away from (No.) 6 because the player we think we're going to get."

GB 

Colts sign TE Eric Ebron to 2 year $15m deal.

GB 

Posted (edited)

Colts sign WR Ryan Grant and G/C Matt Slauson. They also brought back CB Pierre Desir.

GB

Edited by GB4