Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

On ‎3‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 10:03 PM, DrivenT said:

Unfortunately, the DAC has been down for quite some time.  Valpo was a nice surprise last year until they fizzled out. 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Gipper said:

Unfortunately, the DAC has been down for quite some time.  Valpo was a nice surprise last year until they fizzled out. 

I dont see the DAC turning things around unfortunately.  The athletic culture inside many of the schools has changed, permanently in my view.

The DAC no longer produces D1 football talent.  It's an unfortunate fact and the results bear this out.  This is especially true on the Lake County side of the conference, where Merrillville, Lake Central, Crown Point and Portage reside.  On field results and off field recruiting over the past few years have been abysmal.  Demographic forces are moving in a direction that does not favor high school football, particularly in The Region.  This is not likely to reverse itself as the local population becomes more ethnically, racially and socially diverse, and brings its own cultural values and preferences to the area.  This is nothing new.  It is a cultural phenomenon that started in the 60s, and continues to gain traction over 50 years later.

There is hope on the eastern side of the DAC, where Valpo, Michigan City and Laporte have all enjoyed recent success, albeit at the local level.  MC and Laporte have post season hope given their status as 5A schools.  The rest have little chance of moving beyond their own local sectionals.  

Quality coaching depth is an ongoing challenge in The DAC.  It just doesn't exist.  In the 70s, 80s and 90s, the conference was loaded with Hall of Fame caliber coaches.  Retirements at the turn of the century started the coaching decline, and today the league is home to its least experienced, least accomplished group of head coaches in conference history.  These jobs are simply not as attractive as they once were, and draw a relatively poor group of candidates, mostly local, when jobs do open up.

The best hope for The Region , and particularly Lake County, comes in the form of schools like Griffith, who have stepped down in class and conference affiliation, creating greater opportunities for post season success.  But there is a cost, as in lost long time rivalries with schools like Hobart, Highland, Munster, Lowell and Andrean.  Those rivalries cannot be replaced by the likes of Lake Station, River Forest, Wheeler , Boone Grove and South Central.  

The only way to achieve a big school high school football  renaissance in Northwest Indiana is for an activist Superintendent, Principal and AD to collectively agree to rebuild program dominance and go out and find a difference making head coach who can make it happen on the field.  Merrillville, in my view, continues to be the one school that can potentially return to dominance if they choose to follow that path.

Edited by DrivenT

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I dont see the DAC turning things around unfortunately.  The athletic culture inside many of the schools has changed, permanently in my view.

The DAC no longer produces D1 football talent.  It's an unfortunate fact and the results bear this out.  This is especially true on the Lake County side of the conference, where Merrillville, Lake Central, Crown Point and Portage reside.  On field results and off field recruiting over the past few years have been abysmal.  Demographic forces are moving in a direction that does not favor high school football, particularly in The Region.  This is not likely to reverse itself as the local population becomes more ethnically, racially and socially diverse, and brings its own cultural values and preferences to the area.  This is nothing new.  It is a cultural phenomenon that started in the 60s, and continues to gain traction over 50 years later.

There is hope on the eastern side of the DAC, where Valpo, Michigan City and Laporte have all enjoyed recent success, albeit at the local level.  MC and Laporte have post season hope given their status as 5A schools.  The rest have little chance of moving beyond their own local sectionals.  

Quality coaching depth is an ongoing challenge in The DAC.  It just doesn't exist.  In the 70s, 80s and 90s, the conference was loaded with Hall of Fame caliber coaches.  Retirements at the turn of the century started the coaching decline, and today the league is home to its least experienced, least accomplished group of head coaches in conference history.  These jobs are simply not as attractive as they once were, and draw a relatively poor group of candidates, mostly local, when jobs do open up.

The best hope for The Region , and particularly Lake County, comes in the form of schools like Griffith, who have stepped down in class and conference affiliation, creating greater opportunities for post season success.  But there is a cost, as in lost long time rivalries with schools like Hobart, Highland, Munster, Lowell and Andrean.  Those rivalries cannot be replaced by the likes of Lake Station, River Forest, Wheeler , Boone Grove and South Central.  

The only way to achieve a big school high school football  renaissance in Northwest Indiana is for an activist Superintendent, Principal and AD to collectively agree to rebuild program dominance and go out and find a difference making head coach who can make it happen on the field.  Merrillville, in my view, continues to be the one school that can potentially return to dominance if they choose to follow that path.

Portage is in Porter County.

Thank you for the well thought out response.  Many interesting tid-bits.

Edited by Coach Ellenwood

Someone from the MIC will win state.  Or at least Indianapolis.  Indianapolis 6A football is too strong for other areas in the state. 

3 minutes ago, greyhound3175 said:

Someone from the MIC will win state.  Or at least Indianapolis.  Indianapolis 6A football is too strong for other areas in the state. 

So true.

The HCC can and will compete with the MIC.  Fishers did it, and so can Avon.  Avon has an Ohio State recruit starting at tailback this season.  They will be in the hunt.  

It is getting to the point where its not even a competition anymore. Indy has the best of the best. Coaches, facilities, players, you name it.  I am not saying there are not any good players in other areas, but Indy is King. 

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

The HCC can and will compete with the MIC.  Fishers did it, and so can Avon.  Avon has an Ohio State recruit starting at tailback this season.  They will be in the hunt.  

I don't really agree with that. Yes the RB is a Stud, but as a team they are not better than top tier MIC teams.  

Fishers hasn't even been close in forever.  They have decent talent for their conference though. 

No disrespect, but the HCC is not the MIC. 

Indy should be king.  The Indy metro is home to almost 40% of the statewide population.  It takes a herculean effort for a non Indy based school to win at the 6A, or 5A levels.  

Only a few can pull it off

5 minutes ago, greyhound3175 said:

It is getting to the point where its not even a competition anymore. Indy has the best of the best. Coaches, facilities, players, you name it.  I am not saying there are not any good players in other areas, but Indy is King. 

I don't really agree with that. Yes the RB is a Stud, but as a team they are not better than top tier MIC teams.  

Fishers hasn't even been close in forever.  They have decent talent for their conference though. 

No disrespect, but the HCC is not the MIC. 

So you expect to never again see a non MIC school win the 6A title?

Rather boring, if you ask me

And a major reason for the decline in interest in 6A football around the state.  If youre not BD, WC, Cg or Carmel, who really cares?

2 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Indy should be king.  The Indy metro is home to almost 40% of the statewide population.  It takes a herculean effort for a non Indy based school to win at the 6A, or 5A levels.  

I agree with you..  It's a tough job for sure

5 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

So you expect to never again see a non MIC school win the 6A title?

Rather boring, if you ask me

And a major reason for the decline in interest in 6A football around the state.  If youre not BD, WC, Cg or Carmel, who really cares?

It's going to be very difficult.  I wouldn't call it boring. 

You can not fault the teams who make it. It part of the tradition and expectation that has been built at those school. 

They practice, watch film, lift weights just like everyone else. 

Just like a Columbus East, Cathedral, Lowell Etc 

They just get it done in the playoffs. 

I am not sure if there is a decline in 6A football.  I have not seen any data supporting that. I think there are individuals who wish others would make it to state, but it doesn't happen because you have to get threw Indy. 

They at least give other teams a chance with putting BD and WC on the same side during tournament play. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Portage is in Porter County.

Thank you for the well thought out response.  Many interesting tid-bits.

The geography nerd inside me was about to say the same thing, but it's cool...

But Driven T is quite right: 6A football is down in the Region.  

WC, BD, Carmel all have a lot of athletes and run the spread.

The point to spread is to put you athletes in space True/False.

So when you have less athletes then those teams you are out manned.

So why do 90% of the other teams Run the spread.

Center Grove has it figured out.

Not sure when the rest of the country will understand this.

• Upvote 2

31 minutes ago, Fringe said:

WC, BD, Carmel all have a lot of athletes and run the spread.

The point to spread is to put you athletes in space True/False.

So when you have less athletes then those teams you are out manned.

So why do 90% of the other teams Run the spread.

Center Grove has it figured out.

Not sure when the rest of the country will understand this.

most people want to be in the trend instead of out. Those teams up north that realize that have success.  6A  maybe down up north , definitely not in Indy 

On 4/24/2018 at 8:51 AM, BSUKingsmen said:

Penn has to replace 9 starters on defense and 6 on offense.

Don't they do that every year?

4 hours ago, PennBall Wizard said:

Don't they do that every year?

Some years yes, some years no. 2017 team didn't have to reload as much as the 2018 will have too. Goes in cycles. 

On 4/24/2018 at 11:17 AM, DrivenT said:

It won’t be easy but I agree.  Avon has a few holes to fill from graduation and probably lacks depth whereas Warren and Carmel should be able withstand an injury or two.

It is a lot easier to reload and have talent when you have 3,700 to 5,000 kids. verse most 6A schools that hover around 2,200 to 3,300. kids. So it should be no surprise that Carmel (5K),

Ben Davis (4.3K) and Warren (3.7K) dominate the landscape

On ‎4‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:51 AM, DrivenT said:

Quality coaching depth is an ongoing challenge in The DAC.  It just doesn't exist.

Mason & his staff have quickly turned around the sleeping giant at Michigan City. OG Fiske - Western Michigan. LB Triplett - Purdue. RB Cain-Veasey - Grand Valley. QB McCullough, WR McGill, RB Wren will probably play on Saturdays.

When I reference D1 signings, I am talking about Power 5.  The DAC used to send lots of kids to P5 schools.  Very few anymore.  

On 4/24/2018 at 11:17 AM, DrivenT said:

Agree with this to a degree. I think some HCC teams can compete with the best MIC teams. Keep waiting for John Hart's influence to show at Bburg.

I think the MIC might be coming down to the HCC level, not vice versa

Pike and LN are not very good, and jury is out on NC. 

I still look for LC to break in to Top 4 in MIC at some point

I believe Avon will be the next HCC school to win state. 

They have the best combination of talent, depth, coaching and community support, imo. 

On 4/27/2018 at 2:23 PM, slice60 said:

Mason & his staff have quickly turned around the sleeping giant at Michigan City. OG Fiske - Western Michigan. LB Triplett - Purdue. RB Cain-Veasey - Grand Valley. QB McCullough, WR McGill, RB Wren will probably play on Saturdays.

Dont forget Mark Hurt at Ball State

48 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I think the MIC might be coming down to the HCC level, not vice versa

Pike and LN are not very good, and jury is out on NC. 

I still look for LC to break in to Top 4 in MIC at some point

I believe Avon will be the next HCC school to win state. 

They have the best combination of talent, depth, coaching and community support, imo. 

Like you, I am optimistic the future competitiveness of HCC schools. I just don’t know that they are quite able to compete with the size of some of the MIC programs year in and year out.  It will take a “perfect storm” type of year....talent in the right spots, avoiding injuries and a good tournament draw (or upset on the other side of a bracket) IMO.

For these reasons, I think it’s hard to predict the next state champ from the HCC.

Will be very interesting to see what the new guy can do at Noblesville.  Did he take the gig for the big money and the cushy facilities?  Or does he think he can win the HCC and challenge MIC schools in the playoffs?  

Lawrence Central will be another one to watch under their new HC, who comes with a proven state championship pedigree in Ohio, where they take their football seriously.