Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 4/24/2018 at 11:12 AM, greyhound3175 said:

Someone from the MIC will win state.  Or at least Indianapolis.  Indianapolis 6A football is too strong for other areas in the state. 

At the end of the day, I agree with this.

On 3/29/2018 at 6:16 PM, BTF said:

And a very solid sectional it is. Never count out Westfield!

However, I did find it strange than multiple people (not just busting BTF chops) mentioned Westfield (Strong program, great coach, so I get it), but not one person mentioned the program that knocked them out of the playoffs last year. The same program has been on an upward trend the last few years, and is stacked with young talent. Just an observation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/7/2018 at 10:23 AM, BDGiant93 said:

Agree with this to a degree. I think some HCC teams can compete with the best MIC teams. Keep waiting for John Hart's influence to show at Bburg.

I am not sure if BBurg is getting the talented athletes they have been getting. Hunter Johnson was a once in 5 year QB. 

Have not heard much from them lately.  They seem to be middle of the pack. I could be wrong and please let me know if I am. 

Love coach Hart and want to see him do well.  The athletes at Warren compared to BBurg is night and day. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/8/2018 at 1:21 PM, greyhound3175 said:

I am not sure if BBurg is getting the talented athletes they have been getting. Hunter Johnson was a once in 5 year QB. 

Have not heard much from them lately.  They seem to be middle of the pack. I could be wrong and please let me know if I am. 

Love coach Hart and want to see him do well.  The athletes at Warren compared to BBurg is night and day. 

Coach Hart has won everywhere he's been, and he's already won at Brownsburg...just not  yet made it past the teams in his Sectional.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

However, I did find it strange than multiple people (not just busting BTF chops) mentioned Westfield (Strong program, great coach, so I get it), but not one person mentioned the program that knocked them out of the playoffs last year. The same program has been on an upward trend the last few years, and is stacked with young talent. Just an observation. 

Westfield was in rebuilding year last year, goes in cycles at some smaller schools, have a rebuilding year, get good second year and the very good third year. Then cycle starts again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/10/2018 at 10:48 PM, psaboy said:

However, I did find it strange than multiple people (not just busting BTF chops) mentioned Westfield (Strong program, great coach, so I get it), but not one person mentioned the program that knocked them out of the playoffs last year. The same program has been on an upward trend the last few years, and is stacked with young talent. Just an observation. 

Westfield was in rebuilding year last year, goes in cycles at some smaller schools, have a rebuilding year, get good second year and the very good third year. Then cycle starts again.

Doesn't just happen at "smaller" schools. Look at BD after the Championship in '14. 

Edited by BDGiant93

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BDGiant93 said:

Doesn't just happen at "smaller" schools. Look at BD after the Championship in '14. 

Westfield lost 44 seniors from the 2016 State Champion, then lost one of the best running backs in the State in game 3 of 2017.  The future is bright however as the JV Team. 8th, 7th and 5/6th grade travel were all undefeated. Frosh lost 2. Typically to make a run at a state title, it takes a special group and some luck. Most places usually have a let down after that year, unless the team is made up mostly of underclassmen.  I am not going to predict State Championships, but Westfield will be very good for the next few years.

Brownsburg will be anything but middle of the pack. They have several very good players returning. Avon will also be very strong as will Fishers.  HSE always has great athletes, we will see how the new staff does. Noblesville has a fresh start with a new staff and Zionsville returns a lot of talent.   The HCC will be a dog fight with no easy games.  FC comes into the conference as a bit of an unknown, but they were successful last year and I believe have a lot returning. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Patch33 said:

Westfield lost 44 seniors from the 2016 State Champion, then lost one of the best running backs in the State in game 3 of 2017.  The future is bright however as the JV Team. 8th, 7th and 5/6th grade travel were all undefeated. Frosh lost 2. Typically to make a run at a state title, it takes a special group and some luck. Most places usually have a let down after that year, unless the team is made up mostly of underclassmen.  I am not going to predict State Championships, but Westfield will be very good for the next few years.

Brownsburg will be anything but middle of the pack. They have several very good players returning. Avon will also be very strong as will Fishers.  HSE always has great athletes, we will see how the new staff does. Noblesville has a fresh start with a new staff and Zionsville returns a lot of talent.   The HCC will be a dog fight with no easy games.  FC comes into the conference as a bit of an unknown, but they were successful last year and I believe have a lot returning. 

Top to bottom, The HCC probably the most competitive, well balanced conference in the state.  Every program seems to have some upside momentum.  The coaching in the league is top tier, as good or maybe even a notch above The MIC.  

Would love to see Cathedral join this league.  

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/18/2018 at 6:20 PM, psaboy said:

Snider has a lot of talent to replace, as long as they drill Homestead twice next year, that is a good year in my book. I don't expect them to challenge at the regional or semi-state level. Hope they can prove me wrong. 

Agreed about Homestead. I think Snider will be just fine this year. Actually, I think you will see more atlhleticism on the offensive side of the ball then last year. My concern about Snider is the same as it usually is, lack of discipline year in, year out. Usually one of the most penalized teams in the SAC and, while they get away with it vs SAC teams, come regional and semi state time, it bites them in the a** most years. I would expect 9-0 or at worst 8-1 during regular season then a tough matchup in regionals. Unlike most on here so far, I think Penn is the clear favorite out of the North.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Top to bottom, The HCC probably the most competitive, well balanced conference in the state.  Every program seems to have some upside momentum.  The coaching in the league is top tier, as good or maybe even a notch above The MIC.  

Would love to see Cathedral join this league.  

I went back and looked at last year and the MIC was 7-1 in the regular season against the HCC and 4-2 in the playoffs. And that includes the bottom 2 teams (LN and North Central) in the MIC going 4-0. Both of those teams lost every game in the MIC other than when they played each other. And 2 of the teams they beat finished #2/#3 in the HCC. Pike had 2 of the losses. One was by 1 point to Zionsville and the other was in the playoffs to a Fishers team they had beat 43-0 early in the season. The HCC is still really really good and can compete and beat MIC teams but overall the MIC is still a step above top to bottom.

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 9:29 AM, BisonUmpire said:

I went back and looked at last year and the MIC was 7-1 in the regular season against the HCC and 4-2 in the playoffs. And that includes the bottom 2 teams (LN and North Central) in the MIC going 4-0. Both of those teams lost every game in the MIC other than when they played each other. And 2 of the teams they beat finished #2/#3 in the HCC. Pike had 2 of the losses. One was by 1 point to Zionsville and the other was in the playoffs to a Fishers team they had beat 43-0 early in the season. The HCC is still really really good and can compete and beat MIC teams but overall the MIC is still a step above top to bottom.

I think over the next 5 years, you will see that change because of population shifts and the growth of the HCC schools.  Right now, the MIC schools are for the most part still much larger then the HCC schools.  But as the old North Central Conference gave way to the MIC, eventually the MIC will give way to the HCC. I think enrollment at every HCC school is rising and with the exceptions of Carmel and probably Center Grove the same is not true in the MIC.  Eventually another conference in the Indy area will take over the HCC after that, as the Indy area populations shift.  The HCC is already better in some sports then the MIC such as baseball and Golf. MIC rules in T/F and basketball. As long as Carmel stays in the MIC ( which as the MIC dies will likely become part of the HCC) they will be dominant in swimming and NC in Tennis and Soccer.  As the burbs continue to grow, the MIC will eventually begin to falter.  Its sad, but if trends continue history will repeat itself. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patch33 said:

I think over the next 5 years, you will see that change because of population shifts and the growth of the HCC schools.  Right now, the MIC schools are for the most part still much larger then the HCC schools.  But as the old North Central Conference gave way to the MIC, eventually the MIC will give way to the HCC. I think enrollment at every HCC school is rising and with the exceptions of Carmel and probably Center Grove the same is not true in the MIC.  Eventually another conference in the Indy area will take over the HCC after that, as the Indy area populations shift.  The HCC is already better in some sports then the MIC such as baseball and Golf. MIC rules in T/F and basketball. As long as Carmel stays in the MIC ( which as the MIC dies will likely become part of the HCC) they will be dominant in swimming and NC in Tennis and Soccer.  As the burbs continue to grow, the MIC will eventually begin to falter.  Its sad, but if trends continue history will repeat itself. 

You sure about golf?

Have you seen a decline in enrollments in MIC schools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Patch33 said:

I think over the next 5 years, you will see that change because of population shifts and the growth of the HCC schools.  Right now, the MIC schools are for the most part still much larger then the HCC schools.  But as the old North Central Conference gave way to the MIC, eventually the MIC will give way to the HCC. I think enrollment at every HCC school is rising and with the exceptions of Carmel and probably Center Grove the same is not true in the MIC.  Eventually another conference in the Indy area will take over the HCC after that, as the Indy area populations shift.  The HCC is already better in some sports then the MIC such as baseball and Golf. MIC rules in T/F and basketball. As long as Carmel stays in the MIC ( which as the MIC dies will likely become part of the HCC) they will be dominant in swimming and NC in Tennis and Soccer.  As the burbs continue to grow, the MIC will eventually begin to falter.  Its sad, but if trends continue history will repeat itself. 

Where do you see the MIC dying at? 

The MIC will not die because they are like other schools continuously growing. It sounds like a lot of people want the HHC to be the MIC so bad.  Carmel wont leave the MIC because they want to be the best and have pride in playing in the MIC. 

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/17/2018 at 6:55 AM, komets3001 said:

Agreed about Homestead. I think Snider will be just fine this year. Actually, I think you will see more atlhleticism on the offensive side of the ball then last year. My concern about Snider is the same as it usually is, lack of discipline year in, year out. Usually one of the most penalized teams in the SAC and, while they get away with it vs SAC teams, come regional and semi state time, it bites them in the a** most years. I would expect 9-0 or at worst 8-1 during regular season then a tough matchup in regionals. Unlike most on here so far, I think Penn is the clear favorite out of the North.

So, I think they have a good back this year that spelled Covington last year, Lockett I believe. Not sure about QB play though, Barnes, maybe?? Any new blood at skilled positions that didn't play last year/transfers??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing last forever.  When Carmel, or any other member of the MIC, sees a situation that is a better fit for their own interest, they will leave.  For example, several of the members of the HCC are in Hamilton County, as is Carmel.  It may make sense, money wise, to play county rivals, because of the fans that will travel to see the neighbor school.  For you purists, it may not make sense, but money talks and you know what walks.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

Nothing last forever.  When Carmel, or any other member of the MIC, sees a situation that is a better fit for their own interest, they will leave.  For example, several of the members of the HCC are in Hamilton County, as is Carmel.  It may make sense, money wise, to play county rivals, because of the fans that will travel to see the neighbor school.  For you purists, it may not make sense, but money talks and you know what walks.  

Agree. I would think that both Carmel and Center Grove have both considered the pros and cons of jumping to the HCC. 

As football declines in significance, the move makes even more sense as the overall athletic departments at both schools would see better conference competition. 

 

Revenues would also increase for both CG and Carmel with a move to the HCC. Mic city schools travel very poorly.

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, psaboy said:

So, I think they have a good back this year that spelled Covington last year, Lockett I believe. Not sure about QB play though, Barnes, maybe?? Any new blood at skilled positions that didn't play last year/transfers??

There will be some new blood, but it’s too early to say if it will make a big difference. I expect a lot more of a dual threat quarterback this year with less passing and more speed. I think the Panthers will be stout defensively and will try and run the ball down teams throats. We will see if it is successful...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, komets3001 said:

There will be some new blood, but it’s too early to say if it will make a big difference. I expect a lot more of a dual threat quarterback this year with less passing and more speed. I think the Panthers will be stout defensively and will try and run the ball down teams throats. We will see if it is successful...

I'm interested in seeing how Ethan Hoover recovers and comes back. The kid can ball !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2018 at 10:06 AM, DrivenT said:

Agree. I would think that both Carmel and Center Grove have both considered the pros and cons of jumping to the HCC. 

As football declines in significance, the move makes even more sense as the overall athletic departments at both schools would see better conference competition. 

 

Revenues would also increase for both CG and Carmel with a move to the HCC. Mic city schools travel very poorly.

The MIC may take a step back eventually, but I don’t see it happening in the next 10 years.  In the sports that receive the most media attention, the MIC dominates.  The MIC had 4 sectional champs in both girls and boys basketball.  The other schools were eliminated by MIC schools.  All MIC finals in boys basketball.

Football is typically 4 MIC sectional champs.  3 out of 4 in the final four, and it’s been an all MIC final for a number of years now since 2006.  

I’m not saying the HCC won’t eventually get to MIC level, but they’ve got a long way to go.  They’ve had Avon get to 6A semi state twice, and then Westfield to the 5A Finals twice, whereas in 5 years of 6A football the MIC has had 8 of the 10 finalists and is the only conference to win 6A.  I look at the very soon to be 8 teams in the HCC, and I don’t see any of them winning 6A any time soon.

 

as a matter of fact, Franklin Central who went 8-2 was trounced by a young Center Grove team 35-3, and Avon who was the HCC’s best team, had difficulty beating that same Center Grove team who finished 6th in the MIC.

 

in country club sports, I’ll give you the HCC all day long.  If you look at basketball and football where even people who don’t go to games know who won what, the MIC isn’t going anywhere for a long time.  As a matter of fact, the enrollments of BD, WC, and NC have all gone up.  I believe Pike is also going up, and the obvious Carmel and CG are both going up.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Warren Central is the clear favorite this coming season. The Warriors return some key players on both sides of the ball. 

Edited by WC Warrior
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, INFBallToday85 said:

The MIC may take a step back eventually, but I don’t see it happening in the next 10 years.  In the sports that receive the most media attention, the MIC dominates.  The MIC had 4 sectional champs in both girls and boys basketball.  The other schools were eliminated by MIC schools.  All MIC finals in boys basketball.

Football is typically 4 MIC sectional champs.  3 out of 4 in the final four, and it’s been an all MIC final for a number of years now since 2006.  

I’m not saying the HCC won’t eventually get to MIC level, but they’ve got a long way to go.  They’ve had Avon get to 6A semi state twice, and then Westfield to the 5A Finals twice, whereas in 5 years of 6A football the MIC has had 8 of the 10 finalists and is the only conference to win 6A.  I look at the very soon to be 8 teams in the HCC, and I don’t see any of them winning 6A any time soon.

 

as a matter of fact, Franklin Central who went 8-2 was trounced by a young Center Grove team 35-3, and Avon who was the HCC’s best team, had difficulty beating that same Center Grove team who finished 6th in the MIC.

 

in country club sports, I’ll give you the HCC all day long.  If you look at basketball and football where even people who don’t go to games know who won what, the MIC isn’t going anywhere for a long time.  As a matter of fact, the enrollments of BD, WC, and NC have all gone up.  I believe Pike is also going up, and the obvious Carmel and CG are both going up.

I think you will start to see a noticeable shift in power between these two conferences in 5-7 years

It will be due to a rise in competitiveness in the HCC, and a corressponding decline in The MIC

Carmel is planning on closing a few elementary schools as enrollment growth has stopped. 

Future demographic, socio economic and regional migration patterns favor The HCC. This will translate to more success on the field for its member schools. 

 

Edited by DrivenT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 9:50 AM, Patch33 said:

I think over the next 5 years, you will see that change because of population shifts and the growth of the HCC schools.  Right now, the MIC schools are for the most part still much larger then the HCC schools.  But as the old North Central Conference gave way to the MIC, eventually the MIC will give way to the HCC. I think enrollment at every HCC school is rising and with the exceptions of Carmel and probably Center Grove the same is not true in the MIC.  Eventually another conference in the Indy area will take over the HCC after that, as the Indy area populations shift.  The HCC is already better in some sports then the MIC such as baseball and Golf. MIC rules in T/F and basketball. As long as Carmel stays in the MIC ( which as the MIC dies will likely become part of the HCC) they will be dominant in swimming and NC in Tennis and Soccer.  As the burbs continue to grow, the MIC will eventually begin to falter.  Its sad, but if trends continue history will repeat itself. 

There is no immediate future for the HCC to take over as the best football conference in Indiana.  However, I would challenge your statement that the MIC dominates in soccer. The HCC has done very well.  Also, Avon is currently ranked #1 in boys track and field.  And in another post, it was conveniently forgotten that Fishers won the big school football state championship a few years ago. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With current trends, the HCC is closing the gap every year.  It is my prediction they are the top dog year in and year out by around 2024...

They still have teams that can compete with the Big Dogs of the MIC now, but not annually just yet.  Give it time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Back in the day, Indianapolis Washington was the powerhouse on the west side.  As time went on, the population moved west and Ben Davis became the power.  With the tremendous growth in Hendricks County you can see that movement of power moving further west.  

The MIC is still the best league but it’s just time before the HCC overtakes them.  Nothing remains the same.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Butter Bean said:

Back in the day, Indianapolis Washington was the powerhouse on the west side.  As time went on, the population moved west and Ben Davis became the power.  With the tremendous growth in Hendricks County you can see that movement of power moving further west.  

The MIC is still the best league but it’s just time before the HCC overtakes them.  Nothing remains the same.  

One of the big problems The MIC has is general blandness and predictability. It's the same story every year. If the league wants to protect its future and it's reputation, it needs to shore up its bottom half and possibly add some new schools to change the narrative a bit. 

Avon and Cathedral are two schools that would instantly boost the MIC's overall competitive profile

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×