Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Snider vs Valpo

16 hours ago, Crusty said:

I am still in awe of how Snyder played in the second half against Mishawaka, very impressive.  

Not sure who was dressed in the Snider uniforms in the first half, but yes, Snider was very impressive in the 2nd half and if that team shows up against Valpo they will be in real trouble quickly

On 11/15/2022 at 9:58 AM, temptation said:

Don't put words in my mouth.  I stated that in this specific case, it won't make much of a difference.  Its actually not really provable so anyone can throw out theories.  You can't point to a fumble, a missed tackle, an interception or a kick that misses wide left as being due to travel.

Its an overstated built in excuse/idiom that has grown legs over time.  Sports are filled with them.

"Its tough to beat a team three times."

"Two quarterbacks mean you really don't have one."

I could go on all day.

These are high school kids.  Two hours is round trip to the grocery store in some rural places.  Don't overthink it.

Side note, check the other thread.  I have Whiteland "overcoming" a long bus ride to Newburgh and rolling Castle.

Correct.  I have done the same and am over twice the age of anyone playing Friday night.

How do they ever do it in Texas, Florida and California?

We have had drives of 1:45 to 2:00 for regular season games down here.  2:30 is not unusual for playoff games.  I think it's all your frame of mind.  For central/west TX that is the norm, you get used to it.

• Thanks 1

On 11/15/2022 at 12:35 PM, BTF said:

I always felt that Snider played poorly when they traveled long distances to the Region or Indy. I actually researched this last week, but couldn't find any data to back it up. When it comes to data, I have to side with Temp on this one. 

My common sense tells me that a two hour bus ride has to have some sort of negative affect. Maybe there is a difference between riding in a bus 20-30 years ago vs riding in a bus today. Do teams still travel in the run of the mill yellow school buses? If so, that kind of sucks for two hours. The buses Snider took to Mishawaka looked like luxury busses to me. That could be the difference right there. 

Goldrush could argue that it took Snider an entire half to find their footing against Mishawaka and MAYBE had something to do with going down 21 points. Personally, I just think the game came down to adjustments for the Panthers.

Being a Penn guy, I can see where Goldrush may have a point. The Kingsman seem to play MUCH better at home than they do when they travel. It didn't do them any favors this year against Carroll. But it seems like they play they Indy teams better when they don't travel. 

Tenaha is a 2A, Div.II school in east Texas, the smallest classification that plays 11- man.

TT.jpg

Edited by Bonecrusher

7 minutes ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Valpo made the 2points in OT to win. Unreal. 

Yea, I wasn't surprised on that. As game went on seeing that Haupert wasn't doing much in passing game and Snider D had hard time with the wildcat with Davis in second half it was going to come down to wire. Snider had a few mistakes that hurt them the game, Valpo really didn't. Congrats to Valpo they were better team when it mattered to reach state.

5 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

This final is a shocker for me . Where did Valpo come from ? They were beaten badly in week 1 . 

They’ve gotten a lot better since then, this is a very young team, many of whom were making their first varsity start in that game. Different quarterback as well who’s maybe given them a spark as a runner. Marshall is just a really good coach and his teams just don’t make mistakes or beat themselves. And their formula of a strong defense and running game is tailor-made for the playoffs and travels well. 

Edited by scarab527

24 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

This final is a shocker for me . Where did Valpo come from ? They were beaten badly in week 1,6 and 7 . 

Any time you have a big offensive line and a good running back, you have a chance. From what I understand this is a different Valpo team than the one that started the season. They have a great running back who came back for the playoffs after an early season injury. 

26 minutes ago, GOLDRUSH1985 said:

This final is a shocker for me . Where did Valpo come from ? They were beaten badly in week 1,6 and 7 . 

Davis their Jr. RB was the difference. From my understanding he was hurt most of the season and just got back. He is a RB that makes a difference from what I've heard and certainly what I saw tonight. 

Man, what a disappointing end to the Panthers season. Once it went to overtime, I knew Valpo would go for 2 as Snider couldn’t stop him. I just find it ridiculous that you can’t stop a basic play when you know what is going to be run literally every time. Wildcat formation off left tackle, had to have run it 25 times. 

I would say Snider underperformed tonight (not surprised, happens more than not to them), but not taking away from Valpo. I knew Snider was in trouble after 1st drive in 2nd half and failed to score. Juarez was not involved in game. Haupert was not passing well at all, O & D lines were outmatched, a few costly flags equal end of season at this time of year. I'm thinking Valpo has good chance at title next week.

32 minutes ago, Komets2727 said:

Man, what a disappointing end to the Panthers season. Once it went to overtime, I knew Valpo would go for 2 as Snider couldn’t stop him. I just find it ridiculous that you can’t stop a basic play when you know what is going to be run literally every time. Wildcat formation off left tackle, had to have run it 25 times. 

Marshall loves running Wildcat off tackle. It has to be demoralizing for a D-Line that can't stop it.  Man, I agree with @scarab527. Marshall is a great coach whose style is tailor made for playoff football. 

• Like 1