Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB4

Deflategate Fallout

Patriots fired their offensive line coach today. Shocker.

I originally thought not kicking the FG was a mistake, but now I'm not so sure. Of course, hindsight is 20/20 and you could say that the Pats would have won the game had they kicked the FG but Denver's plan of attack with the ball would have been totally different afterwards so I dunno.

Belichick has always been an aggressive coach, especially on 4th down. And after seeing his offense struggle to get in Denver territory all day I think he felt that it wasn't a guarantee they would get that close to the end zone again so he went for it. I wasn't a big fan of the play call, but I support the decision to go for it more now than I did immediately following the play.

I see why Belichick did what he did, the way Bronchos Def was playing especially the DL vs their brutal OL, he was probably thinking same thing many others were that they might not have another "scoring" chance in this game so better try to get to the endzone on that drive, just like the duckman said.  

I see why Belichick did what he did, the way Bronchos Def was playing especially the DL vs their brutal OL, he was probably thinking same thing many others were that they might not have another "scoring" chance in this game so better try to get to the endzone on that drive, just like the duckman said.  

Completely agree Coach...he couldn't bank on getting the ball back down in the red zone again....hindsight is always 20-20.

Patriots fired their offensive line coach today. Shocker.

Actually, I am a little surprised...given his hand this season, I thought the line played pretty well......knowing this, kind of wish the Colts hadn't pulled the trigger on Philbin yet.

youre confusing me...if he thought Denver D was that tough then why would he think he could move it on them then ?

if they would have kicked fg from Denver 16 with just over 6 mins left, it could have changed the decision not to kick fg from the Denver 14 with 2 30 left after seeing how the Patriots defense had stepped it up on the Broncos previous drive. Being down by 2 with 2 30 and timeouts left is something to think about....

but they didn't   lol

Edited by dazed and confused

So, is the next round in this ongoing battle going to the NFL?

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/deflate-gate--a-tom-brady-suspension-is-back-on-the-table-222215947.html

Al I can say is what I've said in other "court-related" threads: it is a mistake to draw conclusions about the outcome of a case based on the questions the judges ask during oral arguments. Judges often tale "devil's advocate" positions in order to test the arguments the lawyers make. whether that's what happened here, only time will tell.

from your source.........

Sports law experts tell the Boston Herald the suit is a Hail Mary because fans don't have standing in the matter.

from your source.........

Sports law experts tell the Boston Herald the suit is a Hail Mary because fans don't have standing in the matter.

Yeah, I was attempting sarcasm. This lawsuit is DOA at the courthouse. Tell the truth, I would not want to be the lawyer standing in front of a federal judge trying to explain why I thought this piece of trash lawsuit had any chance of success.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, I was attempting sarcasm. This lawsuit is DOA at the courthouse. Tell the truth, I would not want to be the lawyer standing in front of a federal judge trying to explain why I thought this piece of trash lawsuit had any chance of success.

Hey but OJ got off, so there is ALWAYS a chance.......

Hey but OJ got off, so there is ALWAYS a chance.......

That was a state court criminal proceeding. This is a federal court civil proceeding. Take it from me, there's a world of difference between the two.

That was a state court criminal proceeding. This is a federal court civil proceeding. Take it from me, there's a world of difference between the two.

I know pal, was attempting some interject some Pop Culture since the OJ show seems to be a popular item, at least with Mrs. Coach Nowlin.  I passed on the opportunity to watch....

So laughable...

Time to get Jimmy G some experience. Keep Brady healthy for the playoff run.

interesting comments from your link SF

Circuit Judge Denny Chin said evidence of ball tampering was "compelling, if not overwhelming" and there was evidence that Brady "knew about it, consented to it, encouraged it."

The league argued that it was fair for Goodell to severely penalize Brady after he concluded the prize quarterback tarnished the game by impeding the NFL's investigation by destroying a cellphone containing nearly 10,000 messages.

Judge Barrington D. Parker said the cellphone destruction raised the stakes "from air in a football to compromising the integrity of a proceeding that the commissioner had convened."

"So why couldn't the commissioner suspend Mr. Brady for that conduct alone?" he asked. Parker added: "With all due respect, Mr. Brady's explanation of that made no sense whatsoever."

This is why it is so ridiculous to allow Goodell to be judge, jury and executioner. The reason the Circuit Court of Appeals overturned the district court's decision, is because under the federal scheme arbitrator's decisions are entitled to huge deference. Basically, the only way to overturn an arbitrator's decision is to show either that the arbitrator was related to the parties or had some other form of obvious bias, or that there was essentially no evidence to support it. I don't mean that the arbitrator's decision was against the weight of the evidence, or the more persuasive evidence. That's not enough, there basically has to be no evidence supporting the arbitration award or it will be upheld. To be honest with you, I found it hard to understand why the district judge did what he did, if it was anything other than just being outraged over the kangaroo court this turned into at the arbitration level. So the arbitrator being "wrong" with his decision is not a reason to overturn the arbitration award in a court proceeding.

• Upvote 1

Mr. Brady hedged his bets concerning this case: http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/04/25/doyel-deflategate-accept-and-get-over/83500816/

Tom Brady reaped more than $20 million from sales of his No. 12 gear, more than any player in the league. Last season was on the heels of DeflateGate, remember. Brady was originally suspended four games by the NFL in May. Federal judge Richard M. Berman overturned that suspension in September. One week later Brady threw for 288 yards and four touchdowns in a season-opening victory against the Steelers. He was adored, and judging from those sales numbers he was adored not just in New England.

Brady has made more money than that in recent months, too. He signed a two-year contract in March that inflated his 2016 earnings to $29 million – while deflating the amount he’d lose in the event of a four-game suspension this season. According to Spotrac, an authority on sports contracts, Brady’s previous contract called for him to forfeit more than $2 million for a four-game suspension. His newer, richer contract? It’s written in such a way that he will lose less than $250,000.

Smart guy.......

He's got pretty good lawyers working for him, I'm willing to bet.

I doubt he knew something. But I'm guessing his lawyers were telling him there was a significant possibility that the Court of Appeals would reverse the district judge's order setting aside the suspension. So they simply negotiated his re-worked deal with that in mind.

And his options are slimmer than slim. He can ask for rehearing by the entire 2nd Circuit. That's called an en banc proceeding and it happens extremely rarely. There's 22 sitting judges in the 2nd Circuit. Talk about herding cats!  The other alternative is a petition for certiorari to the US Supreme Court. There's about as much possibility of that being granted as there is of me filling Justice Scalia's spot.

According to a Facebook post by Tom Brady today, he has decided to forego a request to SCOTUS to hear his appeal. This ends the legal matter. A "win" for the NFL? Not really, if you look at the big picture.