Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
GB4

Deflategate Fallout

I am not a Pats apologist, far from it, I get you Indy guys are loving this because it is the Pats and they have owned your faithful team for years and years, so I get that part and I appreciate the meatheads in all of you, as I too am a self proclaimed one myself.  

Tom Brady did what every single other NFL QB would of done in that scenerio and denied and denied.  Made the NFL work for the information they were seeking, well within his rights to do so.  Why should Tom Brady take the fall willingly for the entire NFL QB's?  Again, if you all think that no other QB had his hands with the footballs pregame to get them the way they want them over the years then you are naive to how the players go about their craft and ways they try to create the famous "competitive advantage"   So Brady was caught, yes he needs to be punished, but the punishment certainty does not fit the crime.  This was a publicity move to improve the self image of the NFL after the last 12 months of incredibly poor judgements and decisions levied by Godell.  IE:  Ray RIce  So Tom Brady didn't cooperate to give up his phone for their use. Again, I don't blame him 1 bit.  Read the articles that are out there, you think current NFL players actually TRUST GODELL??  the NFL??   http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2014/08/28/nfl-players-leery-of-goodells-punishing-power/14774465/  (just one example) 

Not at all, NFL has proven this over and over again from the players perspective, so when the NFL tells Brady, don't worry, your information we obtain on your phone that deals with this or anything else will remain private.....lol such a laughable statement.  Stuff always gets out in this manner.   So again, Brady said thanks, but no thanks, have at it NFL, and I will win my appeal, have the suspension reduce to 1 or maybe 2 games which would be appropriate.  The 1 million dollar fine and the draft picks is just the NFL flexing their muscles to win back faith of the general public, which loathes the winning ways of the Patriots.  

Just curious...have you read anything from former NFL QB's such as Aikman, Marino, Tim Hasselback, etc.  Have you listened to the impact of balls out of spec from former coaches like Rick Vinteri?  Listen to Bill Polian why the rules exists?  Have you listened to Polian talk about the ramifications instituted by the NFL for not complying and cooperating with a league sponsored investigation?  If you think the penalty levied against Brady and the Pats in just about deflated footballs, you are flat out incorrect.

Will Brady get his suspension reduced?  Most likely.  Robert Mathis got his punishment for taking a banned drug that could mask PED's.  His doctor explained the script.  It hurt, but he paid the price and them some, sustaining a serious injury while working out on his own.  The bottom line a rule was broken and the consequences were accepted.

I'm not sure I buy into your denial of being a Pats apologist...but I do think your "Chicago is great, Indy sports sux" is a reason that you look for to argue with any Indy fan, regardless the topic.  And, that's ok.  But the transparency is more obvious that you think.

Serious question...as a football coach, do you stress all rules are important for the integrity of the game?

I do agree with your comment that we all are meatheads.

Just curious...have you read anything from former NFL QB's such as Aikman, Marino, Tim Hasselback, etc.  Have you listened to the impact of balls out of spec from former coaches like Rick Vinteri?  Listen to Bill Polian why the rules exists?  Have you listened to Polian talk about the ramifications instituted by the NFL for not complying and cooperating with a league sponsored investigation?  If you think the penalty levied against Brady and the Pats in just about deflated footballs, you are flat out incorrect.

Yes, I have heard the current talking heads make current points based on their current employment.  Former players who enter media forget sometimes how they went about their jobs prior to becoming media members.  They get paid to not make waves.  Making waves would be coming out against this ruling, you think Aikman really wants to rock the NFL waves?  Hasselback on the BooYa network??   Or how about this guy: QB BRAD JOHNSON, paying someone to doctor the footballs for SUPER BOWL?  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24982082/as-deflategate-unfolds-we-find-doctoring-nfl-footballs-is-nothing-new  This is not a new revelation now.  These people you have just listed get PAID to be TALKING HEADS.  Of course they are going to be on their soapbox at this time.  

Will Brady get his suspension reduced?  Most likely.  Robert Mathis got his punishment for taking a banned drug that could mask PED's.  His doctor explained the script.  It hurt, but he paid the price and them some, sustaining a serious injury while working out on his own.  The bottom line a rule was broken and the consequences were accepted.

I'm not sure I buy into your denial of being a Pats apologist...but I do think your "Chicago is great, Indy sports sux" is a reason that you look for to argue with any Indy fan, regardless the topic.  And, that's ok.  But the transparency is more obvious that you think.

So would you and the other Colts Fans be this outraged and be this "gleeful" if this nonsense known as deflatgate (though I prefer Ballgahzi that deadspin uses) if the team was the Oakland Raiders?  Or better yet Denver Bronchos?? I think you also know the answer to that.  And yes, my stance would be completely the same if it was the Seahawks vs Bronchos and the Seahawks were the Pats in this case and the Bronchos were the ones crying foul ..... Works both ways

Serious question...as a football coach, do you stress all rules are important for the integrity of the game?

If we break a rule, I expect a penalty.  If I feel the penalty exceeds the crime I would appeal, which is my whole point along with the fact that this is not a new thing for the NFL.  But rule are specifically talking about?  I am the coach responsible for the pre game ref meetings with our head coach.  I bring our footballs out to be checked.  By the rule book, the Refs must use a needle to check the PSI's, do you know how many times that has been done??  Do you know how many times I have check the psi's before a game??  I think you know the answers to those questions.  As Bill Beliceck said originally, he has more pressing issues to think about pre game then PSI's of freaking footballs.  And as do I.  

And that is ok too.  This has been a great water cooler, sitting at the pool table, or enjoying your favorite drink at the local yocal type of conversation.   I enjoy those.  

• Upvote 1

Playing rules or procedural rules? There is a difference is there not?

The old adage that BobRef can confirm is that an umpire or referee COULD call/find holding by the rule book's definition on every play, but they choose not to throw or look for that necesarritly each and every play, just when said holding call impedes the progress of a would be defender.

But that is completely different subject manner imo.

Again, Jerry Rice did what Tom Brady has been accused of doing and what the Wells report says is more likely than not "knew" about it. Jerry wasn't caught, Tom was. Thats the difference, but nobody is wanting to nail Jerry to the stake here. Those who are wanting to burn Tom Terrific also have to want to burn Jerry Rice. That is my point.

NFL players have been looking, seeking and getting away with these so called "competitive advantages" for YEARS, this is not a new phenomenon to occur. Thats why I find this outrage flat out giggle worthy. But that is just me.

Same goes for Baseball, pine tar on baseballs, Vaseline, etc etc etc. If you get caught you get a minor suspension, MLB doesn't try to make a spectacle of it like the NFL successfully has done with themselves in this particular case and other cases. GOODELL and NFL is looking to make nice with the court of public opinion.

So you do believe we shouldn't enforce rules today because people got away with breaking them in the past.

Okay....

And yes, I am a Meathead too.

Edited by Lysander

Yes, I have heard the current talking heads make current points based on their current employment.  Former players who enter media forget sometimes how they went about their jobs prior to becoming media members.  They get paid to not make waves.  Making waves would be coming out against this ruling, you think Aikman really wants to rock the NFL waves?  Hasselback on the BooYa network??   Or how about this guy: QB BRAD JOHNSON, paying someone to doctor the footballs for SUPER BOWL?  http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer/jason-la-canfora/24982082/as-deflategate-unfolds-we-find-doctoring-nfl-footballs-is-nothing-new  This is not a new revelation now.  These people you have just listed get PAID to be TALKING HEADS.  Of course they are going to be on their soapbox at this time.  

So would you and the other Colts Fans be this outraged and be this "gleeful" if this nonsense known as deflatgate (though I prefer Ballgahzi that deadspin uses) if the team was the Oakland Raiders?  Or better yet Denver Bronchos?? I think you also know the answer to that.  And yes, my stance would be completely the same if it was the Seahawks vs Bronchos and the Seahawks were the Pats in this case and the Bronchos were the ones crying foul ..... Works both ways

If we break a rule, I expect a penalty.  If I feel the penalty exceeds the crime I would appeal, which is my whole point along with the fact that this is not a new thing for the NFL.  But rule are specifically talking about?  I am the coach responsible for the pre game ref meetings with our head coach.  I bring our footballs out to be checked.  By the rule book, the Refs must use a needle to check the PSI's, do you know how many times that has been done??  Do you know how many times I have check the psi's before a game??  I think you know the answers to those questions.  As Bill Beliceck said originally, he has more pressing issues to think about pre game then PSI's of freaking footballs.  And as do I.  

And that is ok too.  This has been a great water cooler, sitting at the pool table, or enjoying your favorite drink at the local yocal type of conversation.   I enjoy those.  

It really shouldn't be Aikman's or Hasselback or even Polian's integrity in question.  They don't have the track record of the Patriots.  All Brady had to do was step up and either defend his innocence based on fact or tell the truth that he likes his football on the light side.  Its Brady's integrity in question pure and simple.

I would think anyone caught deflating footballs should deal with the consequences.  Perhaps the other teams you mentioned would have simply told the truth, in which the punishment and media attention would be far less.

Nice comparison to high school football and the NFL.  As Rick Vinteri recently stated on local radio....at the level of the NFL where everyone are professional football players, little things can make a big difference.  Those little things didn't matter against the Colts...can you say the same against the Ravens?

If its not a serious issue, then I hope the NFL abolishes the rule.  But I repeat the penalty is more than deflated footballs...its how Brady and the Pats participated in the investigation, and that they have history.  I don't buy your theory that Belichick had no idea...that man knows everything about his football team.  And even if he had no clue, ignorance typically isn't an excuse for non-compliance.  I don't think college coaches get a free pass if a donor gives one of his players some cash without him knowing.  And if that does occur, I would assume that coach wouldn't impede the investigation...if he was smart...or the opposite of arrogant.

There's no doubt that the NFL used Brady's and the Patriots' so-called "failure to cooperate" in the investigation as an enhancement to the penalty that was imposed. Not sure I believe that. More likely they felt they needed to avoid any possible criticism that they went soft on the Patriots because Goodell and Kraft appeared to have a close relationship. I downloaded the Wells report and am going to read every word of it this weekend. My guess is it won't stand up to scrutiny ... unless you're an ex-jock or talking head whose never had to critically analyze an investigative report that attempts to pull together evidence from a number of sources, and fit the pieces together like a puzzle.

I heard today that Brady is assembling a top flight legal team, preparing to challenge the NFL in court. Good for him. Let's see if the NFL's process will withstand that level of scrutiny. Wanna bet?

• Upvote 1

It really shouldn't be Aikman's or Hasselback or even Polian's integrity in question.  They don't have the track record of the Patriots.  All Brady had to do was step up and either defend his innocence based on fact or tell the truth that he likes his football on the light side.  Its Brady's integrity in question pure and simple.

I would think anyone caught deflating footballs should deal with the consequences.  Perhaps the other teams you mentioned would have simply told the truth, in which the punishment and media attention would be far less.

Nice comparison to high school football and the NFL.  As Rick Vinteri recently stated on local radio....at the level of the NFL where everyone are professional football players, little things can make a big difference.  Those little things didn't matter against the Colts...can you say the same against the Ravens?

If its not a serious issue, then I hope the NFL abolishes the rule.  But I repeat the penalty is more than deflated footballs...its how Brady and the Pats participated in the investigation, and that they have history.  I don't buy your theory that Belichick had no idea...that man knows everything about his football team.

If this is true TD, then why did the WELLS Report you are taking as 100% FACT excuse Coach Belichick in any knowledge of the footballs being deflated?? 

And even if he had no clue, ignorance typically isn't an excuse for non-compliance.  I don't think college coaches get a free pass if a donor gives one of his players some cash without him knowing.  And if that does occur, I would assume that coach wouldn't impede the investigation...if he was smart...or the opposite of arrogant.

This piece asks some VERY VERY INTERESTING QUESTIONS:   http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/14/questions-remain-about-colts-footballs-at-halftime/

Today’s lesson, kids, starts at page 66 of the report. That’s the portion of the narrative that focuses on the events that unfolded at halftime of the AFC title game.

Clete Blakeman and Dyrol Prioleau tested the air pressure in each of the 11 footballs used by the Patriots. Richard Farley recorded the measurements generated by Blakeman and Prioleau. Then, Blakeman and Prioleau tested four of the Colts balls.

Why only four? The Wells report explains that the rest of the 12 Colts footballs weren’t tested due to time constraints.

“Halftime for the game was scheduled to last thirteen minutes and time was running short before the scheduled start of the second half,” Wells writes at pages 68-69.

But the report then explains that the officials “also inflated and readjusted each of the Patriots game balls tested,” with Alberto Riveron instructing that they be set to 13 PSI.

The sequence of the events is potentially critical. But the report makes the sequence unclear. Did they test the Patriots footballs, test only four of the Colts footballs before realizing that time was running short, and then re-inflate the 11 Patriots footballs? Or did they test the Patriots footballs, re-inflate them, and then test four of the Colts footballs before heading back to the field? If those facts are known, they’re not addressed anywhere in the report.

If the Colts footballs were tested before the Patriots footballs were re-inflated, a conclusion that “time was running short” when testing the Colts footballs would have, at a minimum, resulted in a hasty re-inflation of the Patriots footballs. Nothing the the report suggests that there was any hurry to get the footballs re-inflated. If the Patriots footballs were re-inflated before the testing of the Colts footballs commenced, the Colts footballs had extra time in a warmer environment than the field of play, which would have increased their internal air pressure — making the relative decreases measured in the New England and Indianapolis footballs (a factor that is critically important to Exponent’s conclusions) even more pronounced.

Some believe that the testing of the Colts footballs ended not because time was running short, but because the air pressure readings from one of the two gauges showed that three of the four Colts balls tested under 12.5 PSI. As the theory/hypothesis goes, one or more people supervising the process at that point didn’t want to know the results for all 12 Colts footballs, once it appeared that 75 percent of those tested had moved from at or above 13 PSI before the game to less than 12.5 PSI at halftime.

There's no doubt that the NFL used Brady's and the Patriots' so-called "failure to cooperate" in the investigation as an enhancement to the penalty that was imposed. Not sure I believe that. More likely they felt they needed to avoid any possible criticism that they went soft on the Patriots because Goodell and Kraft appeared to have a close relationship.

SAY IT AIN'T SO BOB??  NFL WOULDN'T DREAM OF MAKING A DECISION BASED ON PUBLIC PERCEPTION. 

I downloaded the Wells report and am going to read every word of it this weekend. My guess is it won't stand up to scrutiny ... unless you're an ex-jock or talking head whose never had to critically analyze an investigative report that attempts to pull together evidence from a number of sources, and fit the pieces together like a puzzle.

I heard today that Brady is assembling a top flight legal team, preparing to challenge the NFL in court. Good for him. Let's see if the NFL's process will withstand that level of scrutiny. Wanna bet?

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25183437/report-source-predicts-tom-bradys-suspension-will-be-overturned

I am not taking that bet.   

There's no doubt that the NFL used Brady's and the Patriots' so-called "failure to cooperate" in the investigation as an enhancement to the penalty that was imposed. Not sure I believe that. More likely they felt they needed to avoid any possible criticism that they went soft on the Patriots because Goodell and Kraft appeared to have a close relationship. I downloaded the Wells report and am going to read every word of it this weekend. My guess is it won't stand up to scrutiny ... unless you're an ex-jock or talking head whose never had to critically analyze an investigative report that attempts to pull together evidence from a number of sources, and fit the pieces together like a puzzle.

Dream Team 2?

Dream Team 2?

haha, wasn't that the so called Eagles of Philadelphia after all that $$ spent a few years ago.  

Glad you are reading the report.  Might have been a good idea prior to your comments about Wells and his team's job.  I don't think he did the poor job that you portray.

If you haven't listened to Lester Munson on ESPN's Mike and Mike this morning, its a good listen.  Brady had better be successful in his arbitration attempt.  If he sues the NFL, he will have no choice but to turn over all of his texts and emails, and the Pats cannot prevent the testimony of the equipment managers.  (according to Munson)  No more impeding investigations.

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/show?showId=mikeandmike

I love how Kraft (and his deep science mind) sticks behind gas laws as to why the balls lost pressure.  If they truly believe this, then why did the Pats find it necessary to suspend their equipment managers without pay?  After all, how can they control chemistry and physics??

http://www.boston.com/sports/football/patriots/2015/05/11/deflategate-ballhandlers-suspended-longer-than-brady/n7bJeMqyZLwn11RdIymORN/story.html

Edited by Trojan Dad

haha, wasn't that the so called Eagles of Philadelphia after all that $$ spent a few years ago.  

I'd forgot about that.  Or maybe it applies to ANY coaching staff that Irishman is on?

THIS WEBSITE SUMS UP MY ENTIRE POINT!!!   EVERYONE HAS DONE SOMETHING TO CREATE A COMPETITIVE ADVANTAGE

http://yourteamcheats.com/

Colts are an ELITE CHEATING TEAM:  http://yourteamcheats.com/IND   MORE SO THAN THOSE PATS http://yourteamcheats.com/IND

And of course my beloved Bears:  We are just at touch below the avg NFL Cheaters http://yourteamcheats.com/CHI

I love this blurb from Bengals:  I wonder where I heard this before

SUMMARY: Ex-Bengals and retired Pro Bowl quarterback Jeff Blake confessed in an interview that removing air from footballs was common when he played in the NFL from 1992-2005.

"I'm just going to let the cat of the bag, every team does it, every game, it has been since I played," the ex-Bengals QB said Wednesday in a radio interview on the "Midday 180" show on Nashville's 104.5 The Zone. "Cause when you take the balls out of the bag, they are rock hard. And you can't feel the ball as well. It's too hard.

"Everybody puts the pin in and takes just enough air out of the ball that you can feel it a little better. But it's not the point to where it's flat. So I don't know what the big deal is. It's not something that's not been done for 20 years."

Blake says that he'd order ball boys to let air out of his footballs just before the start of games during his entire NFL career, which included time with the Cincinnati Bengals from 1994 to 1999.

VICTIM: The entire league

PUNISHED? No but ... it's more probable than not that this was cheating

PUNISHMENT: Their long-time quarterback admitted to cheating

“Using two different gauges (one of which was used for pre-game psi measurements), the League tested only four Colts footballs at halftime. Three of those footballs measured below regulation on the so-called “non-Logo” gauge. Four measured at or above regulation on the so-called “Logo” gauge. One Colts football averaged below regulation when taking into account both gauges. As soon as that fourth Colts football was measured, League personnel stopped any further gauging of Colts footballs. Relying on the higher Logo gauge measurements of the Colts football, League officials decided not to add air to any of the Colts footballs. Additional measurements using the same two gauges were made post-game. Post-game, each of the four Patriots footballs measured were well above the required level of 12.5 psi on both gauges (including one that had been overinflated to 13.65 on the Logo gauge). Three of the four Colts footballs measured below 12.5 psi on the non-Logo gauge (a violation of League rules), one measured below 12.5 psi on both gauges (also a violation), and three Colts footballs measured above 12.5 on the Logo gauge.”

So I guess Luck is going to lose 4 games, too? Because he "must have known."

Here's my two cents for what it's worth...

Tom Brady and the Parriots organization are liars (sure "the deflator" text referred to weightloss and those equipment guys were suspended w/o pay b/c nothing happened), and the NFL is run by incompetent morons (the game officials that ignored the initial complaint should be suspended twice as long as Brady). There is no integrity in professional football not sure why everyone is so "shocked".

In the end however none of it matters, because the NFL is a juggernaut that has proven time and time again to be *Deleted* proof. Think about it we are in the middle of a fantastic NBA playoff season With perhaps the greatest first round matchup in history (Spurs-Clippers), buzzer beater after buzzer beater, and Lebron James trying to resuscitate the rust belt (didn't even mention the leagues best and most entertaining team the GS Warriors), a fight of the century, the Stanley Cup Playoffs, a great start to the baseball season with young stars exploding onto the scene, and despite all of that the NFL is still dominating the headlines in what should be its slowest news month. It's incredible. A marketing leviathan, and whether Brady sits or gets his suspension overturned I'll still be there every Sunday drinking it all in as will just about everyone else sporting there Faux-outrage over the actions of unethical millionaires and the billionaire stooges that run the league.

Edited by mcgoo45
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lester Munson's comments

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/12888612/tom-brady-nflpa-cannot-win-appeal-filed-deflategate

I know Bobref...he is a moron...just like Wells and his team......

Lester Munson is not a moron. But he is a network personality whose job description includes stirring the pot. What is true and accurate is of secondary importance compared to what it takes to generate ratings.

So I guess Luck is going to lose 4 games, too? Because he "must have known."

And the organization will be fined for breaking protocol and checking the PSI of the intercepted football on their own during the game

The Commissioner is going to preside overTom Brady's appeal. Does anyone NOT have a problem with that? Reminds me of the Delta "trial" in Animal House.

• Upvote 2

The Commissioner is going to preside overTom Brady's appeal. Does anyone NOT have a problem with that? Reminds me of the Delta "trial" in Animal House.

There are several things I have a problem with, like:

Why were only 4 of the Colts balls tested at halftime? And why was the 2nd gauge used to incriminate the Patriots when 3/4 Colts balls fell below regulations using it yet none of the Colts balls were inflated? Why were the Colts allowed to check the pressure in the ball that Jackson intercepted when the rule states only NFL personnel can check PSI during the game? Why was it not mentioned that the Colts balls were in trash bags to avoid the rain and cold while they set on the sideline for a large majority of the first half since the Patriots had the ball 40+ plays? The list goes on an on...

I guess what the Commish says goes in this case. He will have his chance now to make a statement and show the world that he is in control.

I believe the NFLPA agreed to this in their last CBA.

They agreed that the Commissioner could choose who he wanted and that it didn't have to be an independent choice, you are correct.

We certainly wouldn't want Roger to have to work too hard to make his selection, someone probably just handed him a mirror and told him to pick who he best saw in the position.

That begs the question. The league is permitted, but not required, to have the Commissioner sit on the appeal. So why wouldn't the league want a neutral arbitrator to preside over such a significant case when they have done so on other cases in the past? Maybe because impartiality is low on their list of priorities in this case. They are setting themselves up for a fall. #jonathanvilma #bountygate

Here's my two cents for what it's worth...

Tom Brady and the Parriots organization are liars (sure "the deflator" text referred to weightloss and those equipment guys were suspended w/o pay b/c nothing happened), and the NFL is run by incompetent morons (the game officials that ignored the initial complaint should be suspended twice as long as Brady). There is no integrity in professional football not sure why everyone is so "shocked".

In the end however none of it matters, because the NFL is a juggernaut that has proven time and time again to be *Deleted* proof. Think about it we are in the middle of a fantastic NBA playoff season With perhaps the greatest first round matchup in history (Spurs-Clippers), buzzer beater after buzzer beater, and Lebron James trying to resuscitate the rust belt (didn't even mention the leagues best and most entertaining team the GS Warriors), a fight of the century, the Stanley Cup Playoffs, a great start to the baseball season with young stars exploding onto the scene, and despite all of that the NFL is still dominating the headlines in what should be its slowest news month. It's incredible. A marketing leviathan, and whether Brady sits or gets his suspension overturned I'll still be there every Sunday drinking it all in as will just about everyone else sporting there Faux-outrage over the actions of unethical millionaires and the billionaire stooges that run the league.

McGoo - I inadvertently gave you a "-1". Sorry about that (my IPad tipped over and I grabbed it the wrong way).