Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Mt Carmel gets turf

I just thought this was cool and thought it was worth sharing.  

outside of the Reitz Bowl, The Snake Pit is about it when it comes to memorable football fields in the area. 9D41CB02-83FE-47AA-A1AB-62DB46D5F045.thumb.jpeg.5a098424496f1a3bccf3438b134593ca.jpeg

looks really nice.  Now if only they could install an escalator 😅

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

outside of the Reitz Bowl, The Snake Pit is about it when it comes to memorable football fields in the area. 9D41CB02-83FE-47AA-A1AB-62DB46D5F045.thumb.jpeg.5a098424496f1a3bccf3438b134593ca.jpeg

Looks really nice. Too bad they weren't really able to stay in the Big 8 (or the Big 8 wasn't really able to stay together) ... they were a perfect fit in the league despite being on the other side of the Wabash River. 

19 minutes ago, crimsonace1 said:

Looks really nice. Too bad they weren't really able to stay in the Big 8 (or the Big 8 wasn't really able to stay together) ... they were a perfect fit in the league despite being on the other side of the Wabash River. 

It’s all because Illinois wanted to go to districts and then changed their mind and it was all a mess.  

I just want to see Gibson Southern and Mt. Carmel play against each other once in my lifetime.  A good chunk of the GS community at one point was in Mt. Carmel.  My parents went to high school there, coach John Hart really made a name for himself there…I think a lot of the GS coaching staff at one point had some connection to either that town or coaching the golden aces.

for 2 schools separated by no more than 15 miles and a river…it’s really a surprise that at least to my knowledge and ability to find it…they have never played against each other. 

Edited by DumfriesYMCA
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Enlow Field is light years in front ot the mosquito pit! 🤣

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

Enlow Field is light years in front ot the mosquito pit! 🤣

Meh.  It’s alright.  Cooler driving by it at night during a game than actually being there.  But that’s just my opinion and how I feel about most venues. 

1 hour ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Meh.  It’s alright.  Cooler driving by it at night during a game than actually being there.  But that’s just my opinion and how I feel about most venues. 

If Enlow is just alright, then the Jewell is just a patch of turf in a cornfield...

IMG_1252.jpg

18 minutes ago, tango said:

If Enlow is just alright, then the Jewell is just a patch of turf in a cornfield...

IMG_1252.jpg

Oh I don’t really think The Jewell is that great either

what makes the Jewell great is the fan atmosphere not the venue itself.  It’s just a nice clean field nothing special

Quick ranking without too much thought 

1) Reitz bowl

2) Snake Pit

3) Enlow

4) South Spencer ( I believe their field has no track so the bleachers are right there.  Crowd is super close to the action) 

2 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

what makes the Jewell great is the fan atmosphere not the venue itself.  It’s just a nice clean field nothing special

1) Reitz bowl

2) Snake Pit

3) Enlow

4) South Spencer ( I believe their field has no track so the bleachers are right there.  Crowd is super close to the action) 

What? I love going to the Jewell in November! The long drive west through the harvested fields with rolls of hay painted in support of the Titans, seeing the lights, being harassed by Gibson Co. deputies for tailgating when the GS faithful are 50 yards away with open containers. Its great!  

In 2013 when I was coaching middle school we had a Saturday night double header vs. Mt. Carmel at the Snake Pit. Didn't see any snakes but the mosquitos were so bad I felt like I was in the Okefenokee Swamp. 

• Haha 1

Just now, tango said:

What? I love going to the Jewell in November! The long drive west through the harvested fields with rolls of hay painted in support of the Titans, seeing the lights, being harassed by Gibson Co. deputies for tailgating when the GS faithful are 50 yards away with open containers. Its great!  

In 2013 when I was coaching middle school we had a Saturday night double header vs. Mt. Carmel at the Snake Pit. Didn't see any snakes but the mosquitos were so bad I felt like I was in the Okefenokee Swamp. 

I mean…I can’t speak for the tailgating.

as for the Jewell I love it….but if it were 2 other teams not named Gibson southern playing there…it wouldn’t be the same ya know? 

10 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Not the best quality picture, but I love the football stadiums without a track

image.jpeg.74ef1408416e98e69d4acd283921d091.jpeg

There are only a handful left 

probably has something to do with if a school wants a new field, the only way they get funding is if it’s multi purpose.  See a lot of turf football fields now with soccer and lacrosse lines…and the track part is always a given 

10 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

probably has something to do with if a school wants a new field, the only way they get funding is if it’s multi purpose.  See a lot of turf football fields now with soccer and lacrosse lines…and the track part is always a given 

I believe Rushville is the only one in our area. Their stadium was on a very tiny patch of ground and had an old cinder track. So when they expanded it, they built a new track & soccer facility by their junior high and the football bleachers are right on top of the field. It's a great atmosphere. 

14 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

The ones I can think of on top of head are Merrillville, Brownsburg, Reitz, Vincennes Lincoln, Michigan City, and Lawrenceburg

6 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

The ones I can think of on top of head are Merrillville, Brownsburg, Reitz, Vincennes Lincoln, Michigan City, and Lawrenceburg

Is Vincennes in the middle of a park? I recall something about it but I never made it to a game there.  I believe the last time GS played VL in Vincennes was like 2011 in sectionals and I had a broken leg so I didn’t go to that game 

Could have had another game there but I definitely haven’t visited. 

14 minutes ago, DumfriesYMCA said:

Is Vincennes in the middle of a park? I recall something about it but I never made it to a game there.  I believe the last time GS played VL in Vincennes was like 2011 in sectionals and I had a broken leg so I didn’t go to that game 

Could have had another game there but I definitely haven’t visited. 

Yes, it’s in the middle of a park

image.jpeg.526145ad9fc01df7883646b4cb0df4d9.jpeg

If Reitz Bowl would ever upgrade its lights from their 1970’s, I would put it number one. 

I don’t mind a track, as long as it’s a legitimate setup, like Central Stadium. Enlow’s old configuration, where the track ran under the visitor stands or whatever Hatchet Hollow is supposed to be- I can do without.

I am a fan of SS and VL. Decades ago when I would scout next week’s opponent, I would make note of how many visiting players were more interested in talking to fans than the game. One time at SS, a visiting backup had a full 5 minute conversation with a cheerleader while the game was going on. I really hope it worked out for that young man, because he was trying hard to impress her. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

13 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Yes, it’s in the middle of a park

image.jpeg.526145ad9fc01df7883646b4cb0df4d9.jpeg

There was actually an existing track around Inman Field for years that was eventually removed not long before the field was leveled and re-seeded in 2018. 

Still proud to call this home for the Alices. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

There was actually an existing track around Inman Field for years that was eventually removed not long before the field was leveled and re-seeded in 2018. 

Still proud to call this home for the Alices. 

I still have visited the field in person yet, but I do like the 2 story press box

On 7/25/2022 at 10:12 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

1) Reitz bowl

2) Snake Pit

3) Enlow

Yes on no track at Fred A. Field. My favorite venue to play... Outside the The Jungle at least. I never got a chance to play at Mt Carmel. 

South Spencer

Enlow (ended Memorials season in 02 and 03)

Reitz Bowl (summer all-star game with Nick Hart earning the W) 

HM

Boonville (couldn't see the other sidelines knees because of the crown) 

Roncalli and the RCA Dome even just because of the memories of being a freshman ball boy on the sideline and beating the Rebels at home (running out of the woods) 

• 1 month later...
On 7/24/2022 at 1:21 PM, DumfriesYMCA said:

It’s all because Illinois wanted to go to districts and then changed their mind and it was all a mess.  

I just want to see Gibson Southern and Mt. Carmel play against each other once in my lifetime.  A good chunk of the GS community at one point was in Mt. Carmel.  My parents went to high school there, coach John Hart really made a name for himself there…I think a lot of the GS coaching staff at one point had some connection to either that town or coaching the golden aces.

for 2 schools separated by no more than 15 miles and a river…it’s really a surprise that at least to my knowledge and ability to find it…they have never played against each other. 

I got my wish! 

Mt Carmel announced their week 1 game for 2023 (Indiana week 2) that they will be playing Gibson Southern.  

I assume this is because New Albany was a 2 year contract and it’s now been 2 years…so GS moved to find a new opponent

so many connections between these two schools and like I said previously …despite being 15 miles apart, to my knowledge this will be the first matchup on the football field for these two teams 

On 7/25/2022 at 10:44 AM, DumfriesYMCA said:

Does Tecumseh have a track? I don't recall, but i do recall the press box angle being too "flat" to the field. Camera shots used not to capture the entire height of a player.