Sycamore78

HNAC 2018: Too Early Season Predictions

Looking to get some chatter started on the 2018 season for all of the HNAC teams with early conference predictions in parenthesis.  Heading into the season it looks pretty clear cut with the exception of Knox or LaVille for second place.  

Let's hear your predictions about the season and any interesting information about the programs. 

First Place: Pioneer Panthers (7-0) 

Not much to say, Coach Berry runs a very respectable program and I wish him and the team the best as they look to bring home another state title. 

Second Place: Knox Redskins (6-1) 

Have to give Knox the nod here.  Even though they graduate a ton of playmakers they bring back the best player in the conference outside of Royal Center.   

Third Place: LaVille Lancers (5-2) 

A lot of returning players for the reigning sectional champs that continued to get better each week last year.  Rumor is they will look a little different this year offensively.  

Fourth Place: Triton Trojans (4-3) 

The Trojans will dominate the bottom half of the conference, but won't be able to knock off LaVille or Knox. 

Fifth Place: North Judson Bluejays (3-4) 

The Jays will bring back a lot of speed and talent in the wishbone attack, but will struggle against the well disciplined defenses of the top half of the conference.  

Sixth Place: Winamac Warriors (2-5) 

The Warriors will look to replace some of the offensive fire power from last year as they enter year two under Coach Barr. 

Seventh Place: Culver Cavaliers (1-6)

The Cavs have some big shoes to fill with graduation/ key transfer and will find wins in the conference hard to come by.  

Eighth Place: Caston Comets (0-7)

The Comets will need to replace a lot because of graduation.  

Triton's success will depend on its defense.  The only person they will lose on offense whose shoes have not already been filled is all-state tight end Drew Stichter.  But he only accounted for about 250 yards of offense, so I'm expecting very good things on that side of the ball.  Shumpert and Orsund will be the two best receivers in the conference and Snyder is the best passer in the league.  (Yes, I think he's a better passer than Kiser.)

I can't think of who you're referring to on Knox's team.  But whoever he is, he'll need a lot of support from guys that did not play last year.  No doubt Knox will be very good!  I just don't know if they'll be second-place good.

I also think LaVille will be really good!  They were a better team last year when Sauer was the QB, but Czarnecki will be improved for the 2018 season I'm sure.  No doubt their defense will be stout again.  Overall they were young last year, so they have to be in the mix.

Culver loses a ton, especially with Tompos jumping ship!  I just don't see them getting many W's, but somehow they always seem to win some even when you don't think they should.

Winamac loses quite a bit too.  But Judson should be better with Wilcox and company coming back.

I think the question for Caston is if they will even have a team!  Last year they had something like 9 seniors on the 15 man roster.  And I thought I heard that they only had a couple of 8th graders.  I hope they can pull enough together to field a team.

I think you're about right with your prediction.  The homer in me says that Triton beats Knox on senior night and finishes in a three-way tie for second with Knox and LaVille.  I see the bottom half the way you have them.

The stats would suggest otherwise on Snyder and Kiser

kiser 66% Snyder was 50% with as you believe better receivers

Would be interesting to see if Pioneer turns his 3 and 5-step game loose this year. I'd like to see them throw it 20 times per game. 

1 hour ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Would be interesting to see if Pioneer turns his 3 and 5-step game loose this year. I'd like to see them throw it 20 times per game. 

Yes I agree on the stats.  It's also pretty easy to find open receivers when you throw less than 10% of the time and opposing defenses have to sell out to the run.  It's a totally different game these two are playing.  I just believe Snyder throws a better ball and Kiser's passing stats would be different if he was not a potent runner and did not have a rushing game that goes for 343 yards a night.

I'm not in any way trying to say that James is a better football player than Jack!  Nor am I trying to say that Jack could not be a fantastic passer if that was his focus.  But I think if you ran them both through a set of throwing drills, James would come out looking pretty good.

We've been down this road before with Jack's brother Sam.  It's all good, you love your guy and I like our's.  

Snyder is a good player, as evidenced by Triton's sudden turn around last season. My only question though is this. Does anyone think that Snyder could have made the throw that Kiser did at the end of halftime in Lucas Oil?

2 hours ago, Andy G said:

Snyder is a good player, as evidenced by Triton's sudden turn around last season. My only question though is this. Does anyone think that Snyder could have made the throw that Kiser did at the end of halftime in Lucas Oil?

That was incredible!  I almost fell off my chair when he did that!  Snyder's arm is good enough to throw it that far.  Throwing it while on the run... doubt it.

But did you see all of Snyder's throws last year?  I know you saw one that was perfect.  :-)

What do you think about the topic of this thread?

2 hours ago, Fine Print said:

That was incredible!  I almost fell off my chair when he did that!  Snyder's arm is good enough to throw it that far.  Throwing it while on the run... doubt it.

But did you see all of Snyder's throws last year?  I know you saw one that was perfect.  :-)

I could eventually hit a 6'3 receiver (best in the conf.) vs a 5'6 freshman corner for a TD especially given several attemps and wouldnt consider it perfect... My question is why didn't he do that every time??? 

Anyway, thanks for the motivation. I know for sure the Pioneer defense needs an extra boost and some motivation from bleacher talk. They like to prove people wrong... Maybe #4 Could use some motivation as well, I wonder if he would work even harder if he knew there was a skill player in the conference better than him at something. 

Oh and Andy.. What throw did he make at the "End of Halftime"?? His Gatorade cup in the trash?? 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Fine Print said:

This is what I would like to hear more about compared to which individual throws a better ball...

• Upvote 4

Kiser added Duke to his list of suitors 

offers: Iowa, Purdue, Indiana, Michigan State, Nebraska, Duke, Ball State, Miami Ohio, Indiana State, Illinois State

No clue who's in the lead but rumor is he will verbally commit by July 

As for HNAC Pioneer must replace T, G, T, TE on offense and DE and Safety on defense

see Laville possibly second as they were young last year 

Knox lost a ton but return prob their best player middle linebacker/fullback 

Triton could be interesting too with most of their guys back.  Thought they gave away sectional title last year.  Not their best effort, but take nothing from Laville. They did what they had to to win it

I believe the HNAC order will go by best defense to worst.  Panthers then Redskins then everyone else.  If I'm at the bottom of the league my focus is developing a defensive scheme and running it 3rd-12th grades.  I think too many teams spend too much time on offense in practice vs building really sound defensive fundamentals.  No one has ever lost a game 0-0!  Until a HNAC team builds a better defense than the Panthers, they will continue their all-time undefeated streak in conference play.

• Upvote 1

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 2:48 PM, CharlieTweeder said:

Man Chuck, you have made my day. Its only 8:45 AM and I have had the best laugh I will get. I love the Panthers!

Congrats on the Duke offer! A former Rebel grad is head of athletic academic student services there. If he makes a visit, let me know.

Haha

love me some coach D

takkle4 says they are down there yesterday and today at Duke

I hope Kiser keeps his talents in state at one of the big 10 schools, but he would likely be starting quite a bit earlier if he joins a MAC school such as Ball State. 

Duke is a pretty cool opportunity though. 

On 3/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, CharlieTweeder said:

I could eventually hit a 6'3 receiver (best in the conf.) vs a 5'6 freshman corner for a TD especially given several attemps and wouldnt consider it perfect... My question is why didn't he do that every time??? 

Anyway, thanks for the motivation. I know for sure the Pioneer defense needs an extra boost and some motivation from bleacher talk. They like to prove people wrong... Maybe #4 Could use some motivation as well, I wonder if he would work even harder if he knew there was a skill player in the conference better than him at something. 

Oh and Andy.. What throw did he make at the "End of Halftime"?? His Gatorade cup in the trash?? 

Stupid auto correct. It was supposed to say "at the end of the half" LOL

6 hours ago, silvertone1696 said:

I hope Kiser keeps his talents in state at one of the big 10 schools, but he would likely be starting quite a bit earlier if he joins a MAC school such as Ball State. 

I'm sure that there will be many more offers!

14 hours ago, silvertone1696 said:

Prob be all about the fit and where they're playing him and of course who's ahead of him. Some schools think OLB, some think Safety/LB hybrid, some see him ILB. 

On 3/27/2018 at 10:33 PM, takkle4 said:

I believe the HNAC order will go by best defense to worst.  Panthers then Redskins then everyone else.  If I'm at the bottom of the league my focus is developing a defensive scheme and running it 3rd-12th grades.  I think too many teams spend too much time on offense in practice vs building really sound defensive fundamentals.  No one has ever lost a game 0-0!  Until a HNAC team builds a better defense than the Panthers, they will continue their all-time undefeated streak in conference play.

Wait a minute, are you saying Pioneer spends more time on defense in practice than offense?

11 hours ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Wait a minute, are you saying Pioneer spends more time on defense in practice than offense?

I'm saying to beat Pioneer you are going to have to stop them first, then worry about scoring points - in that order!  

1. Pioneer- teams won't stop them or move the ball on them consistently enough to beat them

2. Laville- Tough defensively, but will need to find some offense this year

3. Knox- 3A school should dominate most conference teams but lose good deal from last year.

4. Triton- offense keeps them in games, but poor defensive play keeps them in the middle of the pack. Should still compete for sectional title with Laville again.

5. Judson- Great team speed, questionable coaching

6.  Culver- Lose some monsters up front and a great athlete in their QB from last year, but their coach always has them ready to play.

7. Winamac- Any inspirational coach talk for this year? Fell way short of the 8-1 or 7-2 season head coach was calling for last year. They have a long way to go if they want to push back into conference prominence

8. Caston- Will they even field a team this year?

• Upvote 1

On 4/2/2018 at 2:37 PM, Farmer Fran said:

5. Judson- Great team speed, questionable coaching

I know it has been awhile, but Coach White does have a blue ring from his days at Griffith.

Is the problem questionable coaching or something else?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Posted (edited)

Wasn't coach Radtke in charge in Griffith?

Edited by SANDMAN90

Yes,  and had great success with his expectations that players be tough, disciplined, and invested in the program.  

Luckily for them they had parent, community and school support at that time that was conducive to winning.  

Sadly, not all places are like that.  

• Thanks 2

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Sycamore78 said:

I know it has been awhile, but Coach White does have a blue ring from his days at Griffith.

Is the problem questionable coaching or something else?

When your team is having success under center running option and then switch out to a 2x2 set that clearly isn’t the teams bread and butter that’s coaching. When you see a team in a terrible defensive set for the opponent they are facing that’s coaching. When you hear kids getting screamed at and belittled on the sideline when things aren’t going your way that is coaching. None of those things are caused by community, parents, etc. 

Edited by Farmer Fran
  • Upvote 4