Sycamore78

HNAC 2018: Too Early Season Predictions

13 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

Easiest job in Indiana high school football this year....Pioneer offensive coordinator :17_v:

Easier job... Pioneer Punt team coach.  Pioneer only punted like 4 times all last season.

• Haha 2

Winamac and LaVille both participated in Notre Dame 7-on-7 Saturday. 

Not much offense for Warriors in two games I watched. 

LaVille, a run first type team during the season, held it's own in the passing camp and fared much better than a year ago. 

It'll be interesting to see how these two HNAC teams proceed with the offensive side of the ball.

as always,  the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

Posted (edited)

Laville have the sophomore back quarterbacking?  I was thinking they started him as freshman and replaced him 3/4 thru season.

Laville had a number of younger players gaining valuable experience last season

Edited by CharlieTweeder

Posted (edited)

LaVille ended up going 3-3 on the day, with 2 of the 3 losses being by only a TD.  As far as the QB, they seem to be in pretty good shape with 2 sophomore QB’s. They started a new QB but he played H back last season for them as a freshman.  But both played and both slung the ball around pretty good against some solid competition.  So knowing they are a run first orientated team, but seeing them pass as well as they did, only makes them that much more diverse offensively.  Game 1 on the road at CMA will be a real indicator on how well they will do.

I thought Pioneer would be there, especially after Kiser committed to the Irish.

Just a side note, I witnessed the worse team brawl ever when SB St Joe’s and Grosse Pointe South from Michigan got into it.  Started out on the field with nearly all players getting involved.  Then it looked to start getting under control until a St Joe punched one of the other teams coach and it escalated again.  Both team were kicked out as they definitely should have been.  But that was the worse display I have seen in high school athletics.  I wonder if AD’s will get involved and hand out suspensions or possibly firing the coach that threw the punch.  Very despicable to see for sure.

Edited by OnTheFence

1 hour ago, OnTheFence said:

Just a side note, I witnessed the worse team brawl ever when SB St Joe’s and Grosse Pointe South from Michigan got into it.  Started out on the field with nearly all players getting involved.  Then it looked to start getting under control until a St Joe punched one of the other teams coach and it escalated again.  Both team were kicked out as they definitely should have been.  But that was the worse display I have seen in high school athletics.  I wonder if AD’s will get involved and hand out suspensions or possibly firing the coach that threw the punch.  Very despicable to see for sure.

That is not a good scene as described.   

• Upvote 1

On ‎6‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 6:54 AM, takkle4 said:

ND confirmed yesterday that 38 teams are competing on Saturday, so down almost half from last year if there was over 70.

Pioneer 7v7 group impressed beyond expected in their outing Wednesday vs Logansport.  Panthers only had 4 balls hit the ground the entire night.  Panthers speed on deep routes and the QB strength to throw the deep ball made for some quick strike TDs.  It will be interesting to see if Coach Berry changes his run/pass percentage this coming season.

Pass for a 48 yard TD, or a run play for 48 yard TD. Coach Berry is in a tough place, because if he doesn't throw, he doesn't get to throw much at all because he is up by so much!

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Coach Durham said:

Pass for a 48 yard TD, or a run play for 48 yard TD. Coach Berry is in a tough place, because if he doesn't throw, he doesn't get to throw much at all because he is up by so much!

Personally, I'd throw entire first quarter :17_v:

Throw until 4th down, then run Kiser for the 1st to keep the drive alive! Ha

Rumors from creditable sources still saying Caston is 50/50 at best of having a Varsity team, and even then it would be week to week depending on injuries, sickness, etc.

Not a good situation for them.  It would be beneficial if they made a decision ASAP and perhaps their opponents could find a stray replacement game.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, takkle4 said:

Rumors from creditable sources still saying Caston is 50/50 at best of having a Varsity team, and even then it would be week to week depending on injuries, sickness, etc.

Not a good situation for them.  It would be beneficial if they made a decision ASAP and perhaps their opponents could find a stray replacement game.

If Caston officials believe there is hope of increasing numbers in the future, maybe they need to drop the varsity games and play a JV schedule this year so they don't kill the program all-together.  Let the kids get some actual game experience while building back up for next year.  Underclassmen getting the crap beat out of them every week on Friday nights is not going to help their numbers going forward.

Maybe the real issue is the number of other sports that are offered in the fall. That would be club sports included you can only spread your self so thin when your enrollment is so low. Along with that what is the focus of the Athletic Department? Is it to promote three sports athletes or are they ok with students focusing on one or two sports? 

With 40 days until kick off, how are teams looking? 

We have heard about Pioneer and LaVille, but what about the other teams?

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

I like Culver   

Tell me more about Culver 

YOUNG. Culver Community will be very young this year. They lost a lot of experience on the line and in the skill positions. Their QB (JR this coming season) has gone back to Culver Military (great addition for us) and they graduated huge linemen in Alecks McBee and North All Star, Marcellus Anderson. All is not lost in Cavalier land, while wins could come at a premium for the next 1 or 2 seasons, the incoming Freshman and Jr High classes have some talent. As has been their MO for the last 15 or so years, there will be some big HOGS coming up the pipe. They will fight hard every game but will be fighting an uphill battle. I would be surprised if they finish any higher than 6th. I give them an outside shot at a 5th place finish.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Off In The Yard said:

Their QB (JR this coming season) has gone back to Culver Military (great addition for us) 

you say "gone back" like he was at CMA, then Culver, now back to CMA??

The IHSAA does not have an automatic waiver for immediate eligibility for switching to and from a private/public school.  So does he think he is eligible?  How did the paperwork for that get passed thru if in fact he is?

CMA and Culver sign off then there is not issue, only gets to IHSAA if their is one side of the coin not signing off on transfer, unless you are a highly recruited basketball player in Indy then sometimes it gets interesting 

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

CMA and Culver sign off then there is not issue, only gets to IHSAA if their is one side of the coin not signing off on transfer, unless you are a highly recruited basketball player in Indy then sometimes it gets interesting 

I will try to tread lightly and feel free to delete @Coach Nowlin if this is not within the rules. He started his Freshman year at CMA. He then had to enroll at Culver Community for a period of 1 year during his FR year and part of his SO. year. His year was up and he re-enrolled at CMA for the remainder of his SO year. He will be starting his JR year at CMA. Although Culver Community doesn't like losing kids to CMA, they typically sign off when a parent works there as is the case with the QB. Don't play the sympathy card for the Cavs though, over the years they have benefited from kids enrolling there from CMA due to not being able to make it or from past indiscretions. 

Not sure if I have created more questions than answers but that is the best I can explain without breaking some rules.Everything is on the up and up and both schools are aware of the young man's and his family's intentions. 

I've looked at the transfer paperwork in the past and I do not believe there's a box to check that simply says "both schools are ok with this".  There are certain criteria for a transfer to be eligible, and I would think the reason would have to fit those regardless of "who" it is or "what school" is involved.  

• Upvote 1

you are correct, transferring for athletic reasons is not an option on said paperwork.  

• Upvote 1

He was only enrolled at Culver Community for 1st semester of sophomore year.

16 hours ago, Night Hawk said:

He was only enrolled at Culver Community for 1st semester of sophomore year.

Technically, it doesn't matter how long.  

I'm guessing it would be in CMA's best interest as well as CC to keep a decent relationship with each other in terms of kids transferring. Although this has conjured up some questions in my mind. The difference between CMA and typical p/p schools is that they are a military academy that serves kids nationwide. In this case a parent works for the Academy and lives in the town. But I would guess it's a very small percentage of kids who live and were raised in Culver that attend the military academy. Maybe I'm wrong. What's the relationship like in drawing local kids (within the county or neighboring counties at least) away from the local public schools to attend CMA? 

On 7/10/2018 at 11:37 AM, silvertone1696 said:

I'm guessing it would be in CMA's best interest as well as CC to keep a decent relationship with each other in terms of kids transferring. Although this has conjured up some questions in my mind. The difference between CMA and typical p/p schools is that they are a military academy that serves kids nationwide. In this case a parent works for the Academy and lives in the town. But I would guess it's a very small percentage of kids who live and were raised in Culver that attend the military academy. Maybe I'm wrong. What's the relationship like in drawing local kids (within the county or neighboring counties at least) away from the local public schools to attend CMA? 

It's a delicate situation. As far as drawing local kids, there are some in the area that long to go to CMA. However, the yearly tuition plus the rigorous admission standards do exclude most of those that are interested. There is a common misconception that only "rich, trust fund" type of kids attend here. That is not the case. There are many on scholarship that wouldn't otherwise be able to afford the opportunity. Don't get me wrong, there are rich families that send their kids here but that is not the majority. Those that work in the Culver Community system are aware of which kids will be attending CMA due to a parent working there. Many in the community do not understand that so they automatically assume that CMA is poaching kids. As you have stated, a very small percentage of kids born and raised in Culver/Marshall County end up at CMA.

Sports wise, many local schools will not play against CMA anymore due to the antics of a former basketball coach. He had visions of turning CMA into a prep school for sports and felt he could be above the law in "recruiting" athletes to come here. Many local schools also are involved in conferences so they don't have room on the schedule for CMA. The relationship between Community and CMA is strained at best. The people of Culver Community and CMA live as neighbors and attend the same community events. They just have a difference of opinion as far as sports. Not sure why as they don't compete against each other football (since 1988 I think) or basketball (since '07/'08). Many would like to see the 2 sides come together and support each other but I don't see that happening for a long time, if ever. 

It's like a rivalry but the weird thing is, they don't play each other.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for your detailed answer, those are the kind of nuggets I frequent this board for.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

Pioneer & Winamac at Logansport this Thursday also with Rochester & Sheridan for a THUD scrimmage.  Panthers & Warriors won't square up, but will definitely see each other.  Panthers & Sheridan will line up and go at it in what could be preview of 1A North Semi-State this November.

Edited by takkle4
  • Upvote 1