Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

"I’m 49 years old, depressed to the Nth degree, but have a lot of money"

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/26/corey-widmer-declines-montana-football-hall-fame-nomination-concussions/461142002/

Former New York Giants linebacker and Montana State star Corey Widmer has declined his nomination to the Montana Football Hall of Fame, saying the sport “destroyed my life.”

Widmer said after numerous concussions he fears he suffers from chronic traumatic encephalopathy, a degenerative brain disease. He has depression, memory problems, suffers from mood swings and seeks to isolate himself. Recently, he said, his thumb has started twitching.

“I’m 49 years old, depressed to the Nth degree, but have a lot of money ... and some people might say it’s still worth it. I just tell them to watch what they wish for,” Widmer told the Bozeman Daily Chronicle. “If someone could’ve explained all of this to me when I was 14, I would’ve given it all back in a heartbeat. I would’ve wished for something else.”

How sad for Mr. Widmer.  And this is the future many parents wants their football playing children to have?

Definitely a sad situation. While he points to football as the cause of his ailments, there certainly could be a multitude of other factors in play.

I agree with him that children shouldn't be playing full contact football until at least high school. At that point as a family, both parents/guardians and children can discuss the risk vs reward and make the personal decision on their own. I have a 9 year old that is dying to start playing football, but I won't let him until high school for a variety of reasons that I feel fall in his best interests. 

The alternative point of view is to point out the great many men who have said the opposite, that they wouldn't trade their experience for the world.

There is a risk vs reward associated with the sport. Consequently, there will be many athlete's who face negative consequences of the game. That doesn't mean that many parents want that future for their children any more than parents that let children drive cars want their kids to get into accidents. 

On 3/27/2018 at 10:35 AM, Muda69 said:

https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/03/26/corey-widmer-declines-montana-football-hall-fame-nomination-concussions/461142002/

How sad for Mr. Widmer.  And this is the future many parents wants their football playing children to have?

Choices have consequences.  He didn't NEED to play.

• Upvote 2

On 3/27/2018 at 11:35 AM, Muda69 said:

I'm 61, depressed, bored, but have no money. Nobody gets out of this life alive.