Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC offseason

Coach White resigned in December and NJSP promoted Alum, and recent staff member Brett Lambert to HC.  

Coach Lambert played at Judson, then did some coaching stints under Brad Urban at West Central, Greg Willis at NN, Chris Meeks at RCHS, then back to NJSP under Kirk Kennedy, took a few years off (growing family) and got back in last year.  Has been Head Track coach their last 5 years or so as well.   Young guy who should be in it for the long haul I would assume.  

• Like 1

I have not heard any updates at Triton.  I believe one assistant has been approached about taking over.  That's what I would like to see happen.  But I would not be surprised to see the job opened up to outside applicants.

Triton loses a lot of talent off the 2018 team.  It might be an uphill battle in the short-term for a new coach with a new system.

3 hours ago, FinePrint said:

I have not heard any updates at Triton.  I believe one assistant has been approached about taking over.  That's what I would like to see happen.  But I would not be surprised to see the job opened up to outside applicants.

Triton loses a lot of talent off the 2018 team.  It might be an uphill battle in the short-term for a new coach with a new system.

Any chance Younis takes over again or is he not in the conversation? He had a good run the first time around. 

On 1/16/2019 at 9:14 AM, Coach Nowlin said:

Coach White resigned in December and NJSP promoted Alum, and recent staff member Brett Lambert to HC.  

Coach Lambert played at Judson, then did some coaching stints under Brad Urban at West Central, Greg Willis at NN, Chris Meeks at RCHS, then back to NJSP under Kirk Kennedy, took a few years off (growing family) and got back in last year.  Has been Head Track coach their last 5 years or so as well.   Young guy who should be in it for the long haul I would assume.  

Congrats to Cousin Brett. I know that Grandma is smiling down from above and was always his biggest fan. She had a newspaper clipping on her fridge for the longest time about how he had scored 5 or 6 TDs in a game. 

Some changes at Pioneer beyond the '19 senior class...

Previous Varsity Assistant Coach Dave Gregorich (2007 Pioneer graduate) has resigned and is now with Coach Johnson at Logansport.  Dave organized some great defenses, getting to the State Championship 4 of his 5 years as the DC.  Dave also coached the OL.   

With that exit, Coach Berry has promoted Varsity Assistant Coach Matt Vianco to DC.  Coach V played (RB/DB) played with/graduated with Coach Berry from Pioneer in 2006.  Coach V has been on staff coaching the RBs/DBs the past 2 years, as well as being the JV offensive play caller.

Additionally, Coach Berry has promoted Junior High Coach Josh Lytle to Varsity Assistant Coach.  Josh played for Pioneer 2009-2012, recently graduated from Purdue, and just completed his 2nd season coaching Junior High.  He will coach the OL, while Varsity Assistant Coach Matt Gates, also a 2006 Pioneer graduate, coaches the DL.  Josh was an Indiana North All-Star (OL), as was Coach Gates (DE).

The status of 20 year veteran Pioneer coach Steve Berkshire (LBs) is unknown at this time.  But he's like that stray dog you kick to the curb, he just won't go away for good and keeps showing back up and bringing a smile to your face when you need it.  Besides that, someone has to keep Coach Berry's head in check by reminding him daily that he lost a game once upon a time (as if 44-1 and 2 titles isn't enough).

I really don't know how many high school staffs across the state can stake claim to having 100% of their staff be former players and alumni.  It's definitely special to have such a close knit group, and the passion they put into it for their alma mater is second to none. 

As for me, time to take a break and be a fan.  It's been a fun ride.  13 years of youth league, 3 years of junior high, 4 years Varsity Assistant... and every one of those 20 years fully tied into and committed to our Head Coach's program.  That's the secret, that's what it takes to develop players in a system, people who buy in.  It's a top down and bottom up mentality.  ALL IN.  And if people think Pioneer is rebuilding and will start to drop off, don't expect them to drop too far as long as the above coaches are on the prowl!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5
  • Kill me now 1

• 3 months later...

Only thing I have heard would be potentially adding Bremen and John Glenn. Personally, I would love to see Bremen added from a football standpoint. I would not be in favor of having a full conference regular season however. Pioneer has a great season opener with cross county rival Lewis Cass that I would hate to see go away.

Just getting somewhat familiar w/ this conference through officiating.  

Wouldn't Pioneer to Bremen (or vice versa) be quite a haul?

What would potentially be the furthest travel?

7 minutes ago, MarshallCounty said:

Google says it is 60 miles and 65 minutes.

hmm...maybe not too bad.

is caston further south of prioneer?

what school is furthest south in the hnac?

Really enjoy my time w/ the HNAC schools that I have had the pleasure to work with from middle school-varsity level.  

Good coaches, kids, and programs.

1 hour ago, FarmerFran said:

Only thing I have heard would be potentially adding Bremen and John Glenn. Personally, I would love to see Bremen added from a football standpoint. I would not be in favor of having a full conference regular season however. Pioneer has a great season opener with cross county rival Lewis Cass that I would hate to see go away.

Caston would hate this, or am I wrong.