Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HNAC offseason

35 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

I would assume so. Hopefully they have a better turnout of kids for next season. 

Coach Slocum does a great job with the kids. It’s just tough when you have to throw freshman to the wolves right away playing all three phases just to field a full team. 

37 minutes ago, FarmerFran said:

Coach Slocum does a great job with the kids. It’s just tough when you have to throw freshman to the wolves right away playing all three phases just to field a full team. 

Preach Fran, PREACH! More power to them.

• Like 1

With weights programs going on and spring practices now allowed any conference news???

A few things I'm curious about:

1. Who will step up on the o-line at Pioneer and as team leaders?How will scheme change without Kiser and Gregorich on Offense and Defense?

2. How will new coaches impact schemes at Triton and North Judson?

3. How much will Laville's youngsters continue to improve off of last years solid team?

4. Will Caston be able to field a team this year?

5 hours ago, FarmerFran said:

With weights programs going on and spring practices now allowed any conference news???

1. Who will step up on the o-line at Pioneer and as team leaders?How will scheme change without Kiser and Gregorich on Offense and Defense?

3. How much will Laville's youngsters continue to improve off of last years solid team?

I don't think having Younis back at the helm will change the schemes as much as the change of personnel.  Younis was the offensive coordinator the last few years under Brown.  I do not think the passing attack will be the same, but we are returning a few starters and last years leading rusher.

On 5/23/2019 at 1:45 PM, trojan474 said:

I don't think having Younis back at the helm will change the schemes as much as the change of personnel.  Younis was the offensive coordinator the last few years under Brown.  I do not think the passing attack will be the same, but we are returning a few starters and last years leading rusher.

Nothing is really changing at all with the coaching staff. We are bringing in Zach Whittaker from Jimtown and he will take over as the Defensive Coordinator. We also brought in a Triton alum in Kyle Bell to work with the receivers and DBs. Other than that we are looking forward to seeing what we will have going into August. We maybe young this year, but we will have a bunch of potential to continue building on the success we have had. 

• Like 1

On 5/23/2019 at 8:14 AM, FarmerFran said:

This is a quote from a former Pioneer assistant Coach, "The O-line will be better than last years group."  I think the o-line will be just fine.  Whatever their losses were, they must be getting replaced with better people.  Could be scary.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

This is a quote from a former Pioneer assistant Coach, "The O-line will be better than last years group."  I think the o-line will be just fine.  Whatever their losses were, they must be getting replaced with better people.  Could be scary.

I would asterick that by saying that every group has their strengths and weaknesses.  So what do you define as "better"?  The 2019 OL physical abilities made them better power play blockers than pullers.  Their replacements are probably the exact opposite - better pullers and outside run game than straight up power blockers.  But the identity of the team is changing too.  Pioneer wont have the power backs they had, so the power and power read plays wont be the mainstay like they were last year.  This year's OL will play more toward the speed ability of the WBs and most likely make them more of a flank team.

So, pick your poison.  2019 OL better or the potential of the 2020 OL?   All I will say is that 3 of the 2019 OL started for 3 years and took home 3 rings.  The 2020 OL has some work to do to even be mentioned in the same sentence yet.

• Like 2

Talked with someone at Bremen, was told that they are always assessing there conference situation, at the moment they will not be making a change, if a change were to happen it would be most likely a newly formed league and not a currently constructed league.  He did not state what that new league would consist of.  My takeaway, is they are cognizant of possible shifts occurring down the pipe, are happy where they stand, and if things shift they want to be prepared ahead of time. Not left out of the picture and have there hand forced like the collapse of the NSC left them prior.  

(Sorry to hijack the HNAC thread, but wanted to let you know what I heard)

Has anybody else noticed Pioneer's schedule for this upcoming season? One of these things is not like the other.

Aug. 23   Lewis Cass 2A 7:00 pm    
Aug. 30 at Winamac 1A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 6 at LaVille 2A © 7:30 pm    
Sep. 13 at Caston 1A © 7:00 pm    
Sep. 20   Indianapolis Attucks 4A 7:30 pm    
Sep. 27   Triton 1A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 4   Knox 3A © 7:30 pm    
Oct. 11 at Culver 1A © 7:00 pm    
Oct. 18   North Judson 1A © 7:30 pm    

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/22/2019 at 9:15 AM, MarshallCounty said:

Any news on potential conference additions?

Hey Marshall County ....

Congratulations to Coach Huppert and the softball team on a state title!

Noticed you inquired about any conference additions.

How do you feel the Lions are doing in the NIC?

The travel doesn't appear to be a problem,  in fact, probably less travel for conference opponents?  

Nights not as long, traveling up north? Getting the student-athletes home earlier?

Seems like there are a lot of positives for Bremen in the NIC.

As always, 

the game is better from_the_sidelines007 

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/4/2019 at 8:23 PM, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Hey Marshall County ....

Congratulations to Coach Huppert and the softball team on a state title!

Noticed you inquired about any conference additions.

How do you feel the Lions are doing in the NIC?

The travel doesn't appear to be a problem,  in fact, probably less travel for conference opponents?  

Nights not as long, traveling up north? Getting the student-athletes home earlier?

Seems like there are a lot of positives for Bremen in the NIC.

As always, 

the game is better from_the_sidelines007 

I just now saw this...sorry for the late reply.   I feel Bremen is doing just fine in the conference. Conference results are secondary to the post season and has always been that way. The NIC prepares the Lions for 2a in all sports. The travel is good, furthest games are 45 minutes away  to Elkhart Central. Saying all that, some are concerned about the gate, some schools don't travel and bring in fans and that may be hurting the bottom line. I don't know, I am no way connected to that.

19 hours ago, MarshallCounty said:

I just now saw this...sorry for the late reply.   I feel Bremen is doing just fine in the conference. Conference results are secondary to the post season and has always been that way. The NIC prepares the Lions for 2a in all sports. The travel is good, furthest games are 45 minutes away  to Elkhart Central. Saying all that, some are concerned about the gate, some schools don't travel and bring in fans and that may be hurting the bottom line. I don't know, I am no way connected to that.

Understood  ... gate is bottom  line for all Athletic Departments l. South bend does not travel well.  It's unfortunate to say, but attendance is low for SB home events.  Sometimes Elkhart does not travel well.  The best gate for Elkhart is Elkhart v. Elkhart,  at least for now.

Don't know about Penn and Mishawaka.  I could see Marian and St. Joe up and down.

I will add that if Bremen gets with HNAC competition, travel is the worst.  Late nights.  Second would be some gates, as well.  Caston, Culver do not travel well. Sometimes Winamac and NJSP.

Triton and Pioneer do travel well. LaVille  does pretty well. 

As always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

13 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Understood  ... gate is bottom  line for all Athletic Departments l. South bend does not travel well.  It's unfortunate to say, but attendance is low for SB home events.  Sometimes Elkhart does not travel well.  The best gate for Elkhart is Elkhart v. Elkhart,  at least for now.

Don't know about Penn and Mishawaka.  I could see Marian and St. Joe up and down.

I will add that if Bremen gets with HNAC competition, travel is the worst.  Late nights.  Second would be some gates, as well.  Caston, Culver do not travel well. Sometimes Winamac and NJSP.

Triton and Pioneer do travel well. LaVille  does pretty well. 

As always,  the game is better 

from_the_sidelines007 

I have always believed that the home school has support the athletic program from the following of the home crowd.  If you are counting on the visiting team to support your program you will have a lot of money problems to keep the program at the level you want it.  

• Thanks 2

On 7/20/2019 at 10:40 AM, johnny U said:

I have always believed that the home school has support the athletic program from the following of the home crowd.  If you are counting on the visiting team to support your program you will have a lot of money problems to keep the program at the level you want it.  

Yep!

This much is true ...

However, it is hard when even the home school has attendance issues.

I have been to athletic events where the visiting team has a bigger crowd than the home team.

As always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

On 7/19/2019 at 10:20 PM, BARRYOSAMA said:

Bremen would never resort to slumming with the HNAC.

Not quite sure that's how I would have put any school joining a conference.

*Did North Judson-San Pierre 'slum' when asked to join the Hoosier North?

*Is Mishawaka talking about the Northern Lakes as a 'slum'?

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say just a poor choice of wording ....

I would think that Bremen joining the HNAC would be a good move for everyone.  The travel is not ideal for the northern portion, but the competition in a lot of sports is pretty good.

Let's take a look at the various conference sports offered ....

Pioneer has run the race in football ... LaVille in baseball ... Pioneer, Winamac, and Knox have led softball ... boys basketball has had several teams at the top since the conference inception ... girls basketball can say the same ... LaVille in boys soccer ... there are not enough schools in girls soccer to have a conference, so Bremen would help ... Bremen also has swimming, cross country, tennis, and volleyball, which gives the HNAC more depth across the board.  I would think it would be advantageous for everyone to add someone like Bremen.

I will add, however, that from what I hear, no formal invitation has been extended to anyone to expand the HNAC.

Eight is a strong balance for the conference.  Unlikely to increase to nine or even 10.

But, as we have read in this threat, Never Say Never.

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

1 hour ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Not quite sure that's how I would have put any school joining a conference.

*Did North Judson-San Pierre 'slum' when asked to join the Hoosier North?

*Is Mishawaka talking about the Northern Lakes as a 'slum'?

I'll give the benefit of the doubt and say just a poor choice of wording ....

I would think that Bremen joining the HNAC would be a good move for everyone.  The travel is not ideal for the northern portion, but the competition in a lot of sports is pretty good.

Let's take a look at the various conference sports offered ....

Pioneer has run the race in football ... LaVille in baseball ... Pioneer, Winamac, and Knox have led softball ... boys basketball has had several teams at the top since the conference inception ... girls basketball can say the same ... LaVille in boys soccer ... there are not enough schools in girls soccer to have a conference, so Bremen would help ... Bremen also has swimming, cross country, tennis, and volleyball, which gives the HNAC more depth across the board.  I would think it would be advantageous for everyone to add someone like Bremen.

I will add, however, that from what I hear, no formal invitation has been extended to anyone to expand the HNAC.

Eight is a strong balance for the conference.  Unlikely to increase to nine or even 10.

But, as we have read in this threat, Never Say Never.

from_the_sidelines007

Bremen is neither Judson nor Mishawaka.  Town elders have to much pride to let their beloved long green line  sink to the HNAC level.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that invite.

• Disdain 1

Bremen will always survey the conference landscape, and put there students in the best chance to compete and succeed. The NIC has positives and negatives, overall I think Bremen views it as a positive. Circumstances and situations change, school demographics are changing everywhere. When the NSC disbanded they were caught off guard, I don't expect that to happen again. 

If they view it as a positive, there is no reason to move to the HNAC.  Regardless, there will be no move unless a present member leaves the conference.  Furthermore, There are at least two and maybe 3 school the HNAC would approach before inquiring about Bremen.

• Disdain 1