Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

High School Football Replay Coming - Yuck!

It was inevitable. I think It should just be semistate and state.

i would think additional revenue would be needed extra camera work which could be an issue for small programs. 

It is just a game, played by children.

• Upvote 3

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

It is just a game, played by children.

But there is no harm in accountability.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Just now, DanteEstonia said:

But there is no harm in accountability.

What has been wrong with the accountability of human referees?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

What has been wrong with the accountability of human referees?

1a state championship this year Eastern green had 12 players on the field during a goal line situation. Pioneer coaches yelling at the refs with the sideline judge ignoring the warnings saying there was no way. Pioneer scored but could have potentially been a big deal. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Farmer Fran said:

1a state championship this year Eastern green had 12 players on the field during a goal line situation. Pioneer coaches yelling at the refs with the sideline judge ignoring the warnings saying there was no way. Pioneer scored but could have potentially been a big deal. 

Everybody makes honest mistakes, it is part of life.   

Go with the flow.  Are not high school coaches big on teaching their players "life lessons"?  This would just be one of them.

• Downvote 1

Muda is on the money here.  When there is real money on the line, then it is time to get every call right.  Missed calls are part of the game.  Let the kids play and we can teach them the lesson that is associated with something not going their way once in a while!

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Everybody makes honest mistakes, it is part of life.

And that's why we have appeals processes- to fix those mistakes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

And that's why we have appeals processes- to fix those mistakes.

Not during the middle of a high school football game.  

What is next Dante?  Middle school football?  Youth/bantam football?

I should preface by saying I'm not a fan of instant replay. I think it totally screws up the flow of the game. 

Who's paying for the infrastructure?

You're paying me 70 bucks for my time/gas on a Friday night, offer very little training with zero feedback, not to mention my cash out of pocket for licensing, study materials, gas, and time. And now you're going to spend tens of thousands to add instant replay......makes perfect sense to me. 

As far as the officials in the tournament, those are the officials the coaches want. That's who they voted for.

• Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

And now you're going to spend tens of thousands to add instant replay......makes perfect sense to me. 

I'd estimate instant replay would be a lot cheaper nowadays, as all it takes is a solid state camera, which can be found on any smart phone.

• Like 1

I'm conflicted about this.  There are a lot of parts of me that agree that this should never be a part of the High School game. However, as someone who actually runs a real time in-game video system I can tell you that obvious mistakes can be fixed easily and quickly with technology that many teams are currently using.  I know not every team has the ability, but if it is available why can't it be used in certain situations?

I can tell you that during last season off the top of my head I can recall 2 goalline turnovers and a 2-point conversion that we had video evidence of an incorrect call in our hands before the snap of the next play.  All 3 of those errors were not judgement calls. They were clear easily verifiable errors that were made.  (Players were clearly down on each play prior to the turnover, or a pass being thrown).

So I'm a little conflicted.  Yes, those errors tend to balance out over time, but if we have the technology to easily take a look at this stuff, why can't we?  Of the 3 errors I listed above 1 error was in our favor and 2 were not.  Two were in the regular season and 1 was in the Sectional final.

• Upvote 1

My biggest complaint is that is will exist for only late tourney games.  If it exists it should be applicable not just to the whole tourney but the entire regular season.  That reason alone is enough that it shouldn't have been passed.  

15 minutes ago, slicer28 said:

I'm conflicted about this.  There are a lot of parts of me that agree that this should never be a part of the High School game. However, as someone who actually runs a real time in-game video system I can tell you that obvious mistakes can be fixed easily and quickly with technology that many teams are currently using.  I know not every team has the ability, but if it is available why can't it be used in certain situations?

And it opens up a potentially large market for your services/products.  :)

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And it opens up a potentially large market for your services/products.  :)

I wish...when I say I run the system I mean that I volunteer to run the in-game video system on game nights.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eschnur66 said:

Muda is on the money here.  When there is real money on the line, then it is time to get every call right.  Missed calls are part of the game.  Let the kids play and we can teach them the lesson that is associated with something not going their way once in a while!

I agree 100%.  Absolutely zero need for replay in the high school game and even if there was, there are way too many logistical obstacles to overcome.   

3 hours ago, slicer28 said:

I can tell you that during last season off the top of my head I can recall 2 goalline turnovers and a 2-point conversion that we had video evidence of an incorrect call in our hands before the snap of the next play.  All 3 of those errors were not judgement calls. They were clear easily verifiable errors that were made.  (Players were clearly down on each play prior to the turnover, or a pass being thrown).

So I'm a little conflicted.  Yes, those errors tend to balance out over time, but if we have the technology to easily take a look at this stuff, why can't we?  Of the 3 errors I listed above 1 error was in our favor and 2 were not.  Two were in the regular season and 1 was in the Sectional final.

Clear and easily verifiable? You may think so but the referee or other team may not have. 

One more thing. What if those goal line plays/ 2 point conversion happened at the other end of the field? Would you still have had a clear and easily verifiable view?

Speaking only for myself ... as an official, my only goal is to get the call right. I’m willing to use any means at my disposal to get it right.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, bobref said:

Speaking only for myself ... as an official, my only goal is to get the call right. I’m willing to use any means at my disposal to get it right.

I never saw you wear glasses.  :02_v:

1 minute ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

I never saw you wear glasses.  :02_v:

Contacts.:17_v:

• Haha 2

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Clear and easily verifiable? You may think so but the referee or other team may not have. 

One more thing. What if those goal line plays/ 2 point conversion happened at the other end of the field? Would you still have had a clear and easily verifiable view?

Of course there are times when the evidence would be questionable.  That's why I said clear and easily verifiable.  In each case I was in a position where I showed a member of the opposing team's staff (or one of their volunteers) the video within seconds of the play happening.  In each case I am considering here the opposing team's staff member or volunteer agreed with me that the call was wrong.  In the sectional game I showed it to 2 members of the opposing team's coaching staff and they agreed that the play was called incorrectly (they joked it was payback for a questionable penalty they were called for in a previous game).

We had the availability of 2 cameras, an endzone camera and the press box camera.  In each case the endzone camera caught the error (once it was the near endzone and twice it was the far endzone).  The pressbox camera caught the error on 2 of the occasions, but was not definitive on the last.  Of course there will always be plays where you just don't have the right camera angle.

I'm not really advocating for the change.  Honestly, I have the best seat in the house on game night.  I'm high and dry (usually) and I have access to real time video without the burden of trying to coach from it.  I have a unique perspective.  I also coach at the youth level and the fact that some calls just don't go your way or are just wrong are most certainly just part of the game. 

Edited by slicer28

42 minutes ago, bobref said:

Contacts.:17_v:

Red ones always intimidating!!!   

50 minutes ago, bobref said:

I remember you saying that you would not be too happy to see a coach on the sideline stick an ipad in front of you to show you the play?   Is that because as of right now its not a rule for instant replay?   I remember your tone being one of non support of such tools for high school game,  I could be misguided in that thought however. 

what makes high school football more enjoyable then Pro's and NCAA is the lack of outside interference to the game.  I agree with Muda as well keep it simple and quit whining if a bad call is made.  And I've seen some good ones, the best is the refs calling an obvious missed extra point good, it went so far left that one of the chain gang could have caught it. The whole stadium was in awe of that one.

*%#!?* it up buttercup