Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Indianapolis Star polls coaches confidential: What is biggest challenge coaching high school football in 2022?

What a great read.

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2022/07/25/ihsaa-football-biggest-challenges-coaching-in-2022-indiana-high-school-travel-aau-specialization/65377711007/

And we wonder what is causing HS coaching turnover?  This is a must-read.  Parents, social media, travel teams, private workout coaches, year-round activity and very low pay lead the list.

I agree with what you said as to the reasons.

As a former high school baseball coach, I struggled with players resistant to do things the way I want them.  The response usually was That's not what my travel coach said".

So right there, they have no respect for you.  Add multiple players on different teams, it's hard to have continuity.  

If the parents don't respect you, even privately, how can you successfully have a team.

FTA:

"It’s multifaceted but it all revolves around time. We are now year-round. There is no down time. The 'off-season windows' are putting too much on coaches and kids.  Kids are being asked to go to multiple sport practices now in all seasons. Coaches are now working year-round for a couple of grand. It’s asking way too much of them, but especially of their families."

This is just wrong.  It is a game, played by children.   It needs to be de-emphasized by the IHSAA, schools, and athletic directors statewide.

Private coaches, 7on7 leagues, travel baseball/aau basketball is hurting high school football coaches. Our high school football coaches put in so much time and work with the kids, assistants, at the school, going to clinics, etc. It is important as parents of young kids to trust in these men/women. Just because you take your kid to a private coach and pay him money does not mean he is going to be “D1”. Our high school coaches know football.

Earlier this summer the indystar put out a n article regarding a QB training coach up in Westfield. To me, that was harmful for our head and assistant coaches. Parents get caught in a trap thinking these special coaches know more. Sure, that individual might know some interesting techniques, but it is important to be at all your high school football first. Also, these high school teachers/coaches need to be paid more. It makes it very difficult on them with the amount of time they are putting in.

Football is a special game for special people. It is not AAU or travel baseball where you get to play a 100s of games throughout the year. It takes a tremendous amount of time, lifting, skill work, agility, training to get to those 10 or so games in the fall. Trust our coaches!!!

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

FTA:

This is just wrong.  It is a game, played by children.   It needs to be de-emphasized by the IHSAA, schools, and athletic directors statewide.

I agree we do too much during the Summer. The problem is that non IHSAA groups will just step in to fill the void now. It's a double edged sword. Participation numbers in a number of football prgrams are down, while doing less increases what other travel teams do, that will result in fewer kids playing football as well. 

7 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I agree we do too much during the Summer. The problem is that non IHSAA groups will just step in to fill the void now. It's a double edged sword. Participation numbers in a number of football prgrams are down, while doing less increases what other travel teams do, that will result in fewer kids playing football as well. 

When I coached basketball, we tried to dial things back in the offseason because we a) encouraged our girls to play multiple sports, and b) tried to be respectful of their time. We'd do 1-2 open gyms a week in the spring, go hard in June with league play and a couple weekend tournaments, then hit the gym again in the fall 2-3 times a week in the run-up to the season. At the same time, we didn't push our kids into AAU programs. The better kids played AAU, the others didn't. AAU/club was a breeder of bad habits anyway. 

What happened? Our numbers dwindled, big-time, because those kids got into soccer (where they're expected to be on a travel team to play high school, and play travel year-round) or volleyball (where they're expected to be on a travel team to play high school, and play travel year-round, and where our varsity VB coach at the time used to threaten to cut kids if they played basketball instead of/in addition to club volleyball in the winter) or softball (which is a big deal at our school, and oh yeah, expects kids to play year-round travel). So, in trying to be respectful of our kids' time, we instead lost kids to other sports because basketball was seen as "less important" because we weren't pushing our kids onto year-round travel teams. 

The program has rebounded, in part because of kids who are dedicated basketball players and because we had age-group (school-based) teams playing in area leagues down to third grade, so because kids are playing "travel" or on "select teams" at younger ages, they're more dedicated and stick with the sport rather than getting plucked away by others. It's absurd. 

• Like 2