Sign in to follow this  
1st_and_10

Sagamore Conference 2018

34 minutes ago, superjay said:

Crawfordsville looking for a coach.

I Just saw @bearmo17 posted that on Twitter... WOW.  Apparently Sean Gerold (a former Coach from 2009-2012) is now the Interim Head Coach

WOW, Never heard of a Coach being forced out because of his work ethic. 

https://www.ftimes.com/common/story.php?ID=3016&hl=Young-Frankfort-football-team-preps-for-the-season

(Note: Site may be behind a paywall)

FTA: 

The Hot Dogs began their summer workouts shortly after 17 of last year’s seniors graduated in May.

Wow, 17 seniors from a team that only had 40-45 players on the varsity/junior varsity roster.  And the 4-year record for those seniors?  10-30.   

Hope may spring eternal, but numbers and size will continue to plague the Hot Dog football program.

On July 9, 2018 at 4:16 PM, CvilleFan said:

What an unfortunate situation where you have a driven coach working like sixty to change the culture and he's basically shown the door for trying to do things a bit differently. A better coach than politician I guess in this case. 

Silvertone1696 - There was a lot more to it that that. We shall see how it all works out.

Posted (edited)

I would certainly assume there is more to the story. We just lost 2 head coaches in one off season so believe me I can attest to their being one side of the story, the other side of the story, and ultimately the true story.

Edited by silvertone1696
  • Upvote 1

What happened at Frankfort.  Head coaching changes in late July are never good.

@Muda69 I didn't realize the guy that had the job last year had left or been asked to leave?  Any idea what's going on up there, Muda?

I'm sure there was a good reason for the Frankfort HC to leave at this point. Hopefully we all don't start rumors until we know the facts. 

58 minutes ago, 1st_and_10 said:

@Muda69 I didn't realize the guy that had the job last year had left or been asked to leave?  Any idea what's going on up there, Muda?

I had no idea until I read this:  http://clintoncountydailynews.com/2018/07/25/csf-names-new-assistant-principal-at-frankfort-high-school/

FTA:

The board also named James Beyers as the new interim head football coach at Frankfort High School following the resignation of head coach Eric Davis earlier in the day.

“James is an English teacher for us at the high school,” said [CSF Superintendent] DeWeese. “He’s got two years experience as a head coach at Seeger High School. He’s also served as assistant football coach here at Frankfort, at McCutcheon and at Benton Central.”

DeWeese said he found out about Davis’ resignation after lunch on Tuesday.

“Our head football coach tendered his resignation today and with practices starting next week, we just didn’t have the time to go through the hiring process,” said DeWeese. “We looked at our staff and went with James Beyers. We feel like James will be a quality interim head football coach.”

Something smells here, or maybe Mr. Davis just couldn't take anymore the lack of numbers and talent at a supposedly "4A" school.

15 hours ago, cw13 said:

I'm sure there was a good reason for the Frankfort HC to leave at this point. Hopefully we all don't start rumors until we know the facts. 

Sounds like a positive change for both schools.  You should move along.  I can read between the lines.  It doesn't really matter what is rumor or fact now.  What's done is done!  In my opinion, both schools will be better off.

it is nothing salacious in any way 

Just saying.  

Good Luck to Coach Beyers, a Jimtown Jimmie grad!!   Where has Jimmie Nation been around here??  

Frankfort got a good young administrator mentioned in that article!!   She will be missed in my world here at Rensselaer !!  

• Upvote 1

Frankfort will be on their 4th coach in 4 years.

Crawfordsville their 3rd in 4 years.

I think that's probably all that needs to be said.

6 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

I think both need to be in different conferences for football.... The other sports I believe both compete fairly well (and excel in some)...

Unfortunate circumstances...

9 hours ago, Dan Jones said:

Agreed.  And Frankfort drops Western from it's season opener (both schools had played each other for probably 20 straight years) and replaces them with Clinton Central.  Smart move by the Bulldogs, they smell the blood in the water and a good chance to beat a county rival and the deliciousness of a  public 1A school beating a supposedly "4A" school.

Posted (edited)
On 7/25/2018 at 11:29 PM, Coach Nowlin said:

it is nothing salacious in any way 

Just saying.  

Good Luck to Coach Beyers, a Jimtown Jimmie grad!!   Where has Jimmie Nation been around here??  

Frankfort got a good young administrator mentioned in that article!!   She will be missed in my world here at Rensselaer !!  

From the moribund Frankfort Times, which is always a couple days behind:  https://www.ftimes.com/common/story.php?ID=3108&hl=Byers-hired-to-coach-FHS-football-after-Davis-resignation  (note: link may be behind a paywall)

James Byers was hired to lead the Frankfort High School Football Program on Tuesday after Eric Davis resigned days before the official start of the season due to health concerns.

“I didn’t believe I could focus on making those (health-related) changes and run the entire football program effectively.” Davis said Wednesday evening. “At this point, I want to focus on my health and being a great teacher. Those are my priorities right now.”

It didn’t take long for the administration to contact Byers, who teaches English at FHS.

“When (Frankfort High School principal) Steve (Edwards) called and asked if I could come in, they asked if I would be interested in the position, and I said absolutely. We were able to get board approval that night.

“It has been a crazy 24 hours,” he added. “I finally got most of the staff put together today, and we are working on getting everything rolled out for the kids. We will get all the coaches on the same page and hit the ground running on Monday.”

Hired just 24 days before the opening night of the season, Byers has the unusual challenge of preparing a football team on very short notice.

“We will be installing a new offense and defense,” he said. “We brought a lot of guys back from the previous (2016) staff and are getting everybody leaning a new system in a short amount of time. It is a challenge, but I think it will be an exciting one as well. We have a great group of coaches coming back. They relate well to the kids and, hopefully, the kids can pick this stuff up really quickly.

“We are going to run the spread offense and the 4-3 on defense,” he added. “We are going to take our time, take it slow and do things the right way. We don’t have to put it all in overnight. It will be a process throughout the year with our kids learning and growing and see where we go.”

Uggh, yet another high school spread offense.

Edited by Muda69
  • Upvote 2

Here is the opening weekend slate of games:

Friday, Aug. 17
Clinton Central at Frankfort, 7 pm
Crawfordsville at Greencastle, 7 pm
Danville at Cascade, 7 pm
Mooresville at Lebanon, 7 pm
North Montgomery at North Putnam, 7 pm
Southmont at Fountain Central, 7 pm
Tri-West at Central Catholic, 7 pm
Western Boone at Sheridan, 7:30 pm

And here we are... Week 1 Game week! 

Webo got out of the scrimmage healthy which is always a plus. 

What about the other SAG teams? 

1 hour ago, 1st_and_10 said:

And here we are... Week 1 Game week! 

Webo got out of the scrimmage healthy which is always a plus. 

What about the other SAG teams? 

I couldn't make it to the scrimmage.  How did Webo look?

Webo is big and strong on both sides of the ball. Skill positions are solid. Seemed slightly out of shape

1 hour ago, BigTimeDB said:

I couldn't make it to the scrimmage.  How did Webo look?

Not bad.  Need to clean a few things up for Friday.

45 minutes ago, cw13 said:

Webo is big and strong on both sides of the ball. Skill positions are solid. Seemed slightly out of shape

The Skills seemed out of shape?

1 hour ago, cw13 said:

What was your impression of Fountain Central?

FC started slow, but recovered well and showed some fight! Need to clean up a few things (like all teams do) but over-all played well against a very good Webo team

• Upvote 2

Predicted order of finish.

Danville

WeBo

Tri-West

Lebanon

Southmont

North Montgomery

Crawfordsville

Frankfort