Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
brvheart63

What are the teams to watch in 1A in fall 2018?

19 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

I think LCC will beat all the 1A teams on their schedule. 

Thanks. Really wanted to know who from the south is strong. Is is Eastern Greene, North Central, Indy Lutheran, North Knox or that team that is hiding in weeds. I do understand that Pioneer is the team to beat in the north. 

North Knox is 2A

I wouldn't count out North Vermillion in your discussion..They have lots of returning starters. From what hear Brennan Ellis will be taking over at Quarterback, Lucas Cook at slot and running back who runs and plays like his cousin Jacob Earl, Christian Myers at running back Josh Little at gaurd nick Carron at receiver Derrick Foncanion at center and that's just the tip of the assault. I believe this team will be one of the best.. maybe not a state contender yet..but will definitely do good in the post season play 

15 hours ago, Peter Simon Veeder said:

Fountain Central has hired a new coach. The name will be posted when it’s official per GID protocol 

as long as its been announced at the school/board approved have at it 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

as long as its been announced at the school/board approved have at it 

Meeting is May 10th so I’ll post it then per GID guidelines and his request 

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, mechanic24 said:

I wouldn't count out North Vermillion in your discussion..They have lots of returning starters. From what hear Brennan Ellis will be taking over at Quarterback, Lucas Cook at slot and running back who runs and plays like his cousin Jacob Earl, Christian Myers at running back Josh Little at gaurd nick Carron at receiver Derrick Foncanion at center and that's just the tip of the assault. I believe this team will be one of the best.. maybe not a state contender yet..but will definitely do good in the post season play 

Years ago I had this season circled for NV, partly due to the team and also the playoff road.  They were projected to have three 3-year starters on the OL, coupled with a few very promising soon-to-be juniors.  The skill positions were primed to be in great shape, with a few long and athletic wideouts and a scat-back that had some shimmy.  Ellis can spin it and Cookie is a great compliment back, with Myers emerging last season as a contributor.  Unfortunately, of the players/positions mentioned, four are no longer putting on the shoulder pads.  I still look for NV to compete for the top spot in the WRC, but that's a little displaced from the Regional/Semi-State run that I predicted in 2016.  I hope they prove me wrong.  The sectional and regional do align quite nicely for a little run if the ball bounces NV's way.

Edited by Joe Kane

Indianapolis Arlington will be closed this coming season, so it will be interesting to see where their underclassmen will transfer to.  Arlington won a sectional title in their final year competing in high school football.  Most of the top tier talent was in their senior class, but they had some solid players in the lower three classes.

The south appears wide open this season.  Lutheran will have to find a new quarterback.  They will have to find someone or a committee of players to replace the play making abilities of Andre Jones.  They also lose three key lineman including Emeka Jiliani.  I thought Jiliani was the best offensive lineman in class A football last year.  This year he will be playing for Ball State.

With the exception Jack Kiser, its hard to imagine a player being more valuable to his team than Carson Blair of Southwood.   His passing numbers were out of this world and the combination of him and receiver Peyton Trexler is one of the best ever in class A football.   In addition he helped lead the basketball team to the state championship game this year.  He will be sorely missed by the knights.  Here is the link to his hudl page: http://www.hudl.com/profile/5193602/Carson-Blair

Every time I watch it I'm more and more impressed with his ability to throw under pressure and improvise on the spot.

Pioneer will be absolutely loaded this year.  Like LCC in the past years they did a good job of developing  their underclassmen in part by getting them playing time in one sided affairs.

• Upvote 2

As amazing as Kiser is, if you take him off the Pioneer roster this year, the Panthers are probably still a very strong contender!  That's how good that team is!

But there are probably 30 other 1A teams in the state that would become instant contenders with the addition of Kiser.  That's how good he is!

Kiser with the Panthers... unstoppable.

• Upvote 2

In Northeast Indiana, Sectionals 43 and 44

I like Busco to get to semi state to face Pioneer.

Adams Central, Monroe Central, Sheridan also in the mix.

I am curious what Southwood will have after losing Blair and Trexler.

I too like Busco in the north.

Kiser and the Lewellen boys have all ran sub-11 second 100 meters this spring

Backfield speed should not be an issue

10 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

I am not doubting that Pioneer has a speedy backfield.  But there are 6 kids that have gone sub 11 in the state this year according to athletic.net.  Warren Central is the only school that has two in that top 6.  Hand timed sub 11's are not sub 11's.  I have seen all three run.  They are fast.  If they run in the 100 at sectionals, you should get a legit time.  Only thing is just two of them can run it at sectionals.

• Upvote 1

I have seen Kiser and the Lewellen boys. They are legit. Any team would love to have them on their team. You can NOT teach SPEED!

46 minutes ago, brvheart63 said:

I have seen Kiser and the Lewellen boys. They are legit. Any team would love to have them on their team. You can NOT teach SPEED!

Speed?? Or City Speed?

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Upvote 1

On 5/2/2018 at 12:11 PM, punttheball said:

I am not doubting that Pioneer has a speedy backfield.  But there are 6 kids that have gone sub 11 in the state this year according to athletic.net.  Warren Central is the only school that has two in that top 6.  Hand timed sub 11's are not sub 11's.  I have seen all three run.  They are fast.  If they run in the 100 at sectionals, you should get a legit time.  Only thing is just two of them can run it at sectionals.

I used a laser pointer and the sun

pretty accurate

• Haha 4

24 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

I used a laser pointer and the sun

pretty accurate

I figured you would come back with some stupid remark that would make light of your ridiculous statement.  

Like I said they are fast.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Posted (edited)

You seem upset?  So you're calling the newspaper a liar?

"Kiser was also the 100-meter dash champion in 10.94 seconds and the was second in the 200 dash.

He edged freshman teammate Ezra Lewellen (:11.0) and Logan sophomore Josh Manfred (:11.06) in the 100 dash."

Edited by CharlieTweeder
  • Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, CharlieTweeder said:

You seem upset?  So you're calling the newspaper a liar?

"Kiser was also the 100-meter dash champion in 10.94 seconds and the was second in the 200 dash.

He edged freshman teammate Ezra Lewellen (:11.0) and Logan sophomore Josh Manfred (:11.06) in the 100 dash."

They're fast for sure. Back on topic please.

• Upvote 1

Hagerstown could make a run in the South 

7 minutes ago, LccQ said:

Hagerstown could make a run in the South 

They were good last year.

what do they have returning?

On May 2, 2018 at 11:55 AM, CharlieTweeder said:

Sub 11 wind aided hand times!  They are 11.3 FAT kids.  That's still fast, but let's be realistic.  If you are running under 11.0 FAT you will place in the state.  None of these 3 will even make it there.

Low 11s  in FAT 100s generally (but not always) translate to the 4.5-4.7 electronically timed 40.

I saw that Jack Kiser has now gotten an offer from Notre Dame!  Congratulations!  Well deserved!

55 minutes ago, Fine Print said:

I saw that Jack Kiser has now gotten an offer from Notre Dame!  Congratulations!  Well deserved!

OK, you now have my attention. Academically, where does this kid stand?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, bobref said:

OK, you now have my attention. Academically, where does this kid stand?

Charlie can speak to this better than I, but I believe he was #1 in his class recently. I don't think academics will be an issue with Jack.