Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Staxawax

Center Grove football coach under investigation following allegations of verbal abuse

11 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

verbally berate

What do you mean by this?

All of my statements are in response to the "f-----t and fat a--" quote from the WTHR article. Yelling at a kid to motivate him is part of coaching. And I know that some kids respond best to a coach who yells at them and makes them angry. But using that kind of language is unnecessary, even if you're trying to motivate a kid. Be a better, more adaptable coach and find a way to get a kid going without calling him a f----t.

1 minute ago, Coach Pierson said:

All of my statements are in response to the "f-----t and fat a--" quote from the WTHR article. Yelling at a kid to motivate him is part of coaching. And I know that some kids respond best to a coach who yells at them and makes them angry. But using that kind of language is unnecessary, even if you're trying to motivate a kid. Be a better, more adaptable coach and find a way to get a kid going without calling him a f----t.

Thanks.  Agreed.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Thanks.  Maybe some places.

Just sharing my experience. I'm sure it differs for other people, places.

Just now, Woody Hayes said:

Just sharing my experience. I'm sure it differs for other people, places.

Me too, until I came here.  :)

• Upvote 1

I think kids will respond to coaches that are hard on them, as long as they feel like the coaches truly care about them and are fair. For example, having set rules and consequences and enforcing them equally no matter talent level. But it is really easy to lose a kid once they feel you are attacking them personally or using foul language. You can instill discipline in a young adult without berating them.

I dont mean this directly at Coach Moore, since i dont know him or this situation at all. This is just my opinion in general about coaching kids.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, CvilleFan said:

I think kids will respond to coaches that are hard on them, as long as they feel like the coaches truly care about them and are fair. For example, having set rules and consequences and enforcing them equally no matter talent level. But it is really easy to lose a kid once they feel you are attacking them personally or using foul language. You can instill discipline in a young adult without berating them.

I dont mean this directly at Coach Moore, since i dont know him or this situation at all. This is just my opinion in general about coaching kids.

like @Woody Hayes said, "I'm sure it differs for other people, places."

The days of the Bobby Knight-type coach are long gone....just can't operate that way anymore. 

This article looks to me like it’s information from a very few. What about listen to the other kids on the team and people in the community? Twitter and Facebook have hundreds of comments on gratitude and the best of Eric Moore. There is always 2 sides to every story and that article is only one side! People need to relax before speculating and ruining a reputation of a man who devotes his whole life to football, the community, and being around kids. 

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

This article looks to me like it’s information from a very few. What about listen to the other kids on the team and people in the community? Twitter and Facebook have hundreds of comments on gratitude and the best of Eric Moore. There is always 2 sides to every story and that article is only one side! People need to relax before speculating and ruining a reputation of a man who devotes his whole life to football, the community, and being around kids. 

Agree except I've always liked the quote "theres 3 sides to every story, your side, my side and the truth" Usually each side tells their story with a bias towards themselves and the truth ends up somewhere in the murky middle.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)

If CG forces Moore out, maybe that former Navy Seal who signed on to coach Valpo for about 1 week would be a good fit as a replacement. LOL.

Edited by slice60
typo
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, slice60 said:

If CG forces Moore out, maybe that former Navy Seal who signed on to coach Valpo for about 1 week will be a good fit as a replacement. LOL.

image.jpeg.7ddd559603eef7d7f45d710ed8639eee.jpeg

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I agree with this 100%. If everything comes out the way I expect it to, which is with Coach Moore being innocent, then this article has still done harm to his reputation. Hate to see this happen to such a great man.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I’ll have to investigate to see whether the statute of limitations has run on any claim based on all the verbal abuse I endured when I played those many years ago. Now that I think about it, my feelings were really, really hurt.

i don’t mean to downplay the seriousness of this situation, or in any way condone abusive behavior. I meant my comment merely to be a sign of the times, and how they’ve changed. Do you think it will help me beat the statute of limitations issue if I can show some sort of diminished cognitive capacity resulting from multiple whacks with a clipboard across the earhole of my helmet?:17_v:

Sometimes change is good.  Perhaps this is the right time for CG football to go in a different direction.  It certainly would be an interesting development.

Leroy Marsh finally retired after 36 years as head coach at Munster High School.  Marsh is undoubtedly of the highest charactar,  but personally, I think the program will head in a new and better direction, with improved results, post his departure. 

A fresh start at CG might be the best possible result for all parties involved.  

• Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Leroy Marsh finally retired after 36 years as head coach at Munster High School.  Marsh is undoubtedly of the highest charactar,  but personally, I think the program will head in a new and better direction, with improved results, post his departure. 

In this day and age, anytime young men lose high character role models out of their lives...I'm not sure better and improved are the words I would use.  

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, punttheball said:

In this day and age, anytime young men lose high character role models out of their lives...I'm not sure better and improved are the words I would use.  

These are not lifetime jobs, and should not be viewed as such.

Many in public education gain a sense of entitlement, feeling that they "own" a certain position or role within their organization.

This tends to snuff out opportunity, innovation and advancement.  

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Why?

Too much power centered on certain individuals.  It closes off opportunity for others to advance, and possibly make a difference themselves.  

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Many in public education gain a sense of entitlement, feeling that they "own" a certain position or role within their organization.

This tends to snuff out opportunity, innovation and advancement.  

You're generalizations are _____________ I can't even think of an appropriate word -  offensive? might be the word I want to use....but they sure are exhausting to say the least. 

Being in public education is very much a "thankless" and tiring profession that the likes of you wouldn't understand, having probably never had to lead a classroom and teach 5 or so periods a day. Are there individuals who milk the system ?? I'm sure...but most companies could say the same thing. I'm assuming you've had a bad public education experience/coach and you've had an ax to grind ever since. 

But, you are  a mighty fine sh$% stirrer.....so stir away. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, jets said:

You're generalizations are _____________ I can't even think of an appropriate word -  offensive? might be the word I want to use....but they sure are exhausting to say the least. 

Being in public education is very much a "thankless" and tiring profession that the likes of you wouldn't understand, having probably never had to lead a classroom and teach 5 or so periods a day. Are there individuals who milk the system ?? I'm sure...but most companies could say the same thing. I'm assuming you've had a bad public education experience/coach and you've had an ax to grind ever since. 

But, you are  a mighty fine sh$% stirrer.....so stir away. 

Yes, I do the stir the pot with the best of them.

I had a great public education experience.  Look back upon it with wonderful memories.  

You will find no sympathy from me relative to the "plight" of the public school teacher, coach or admin.  Salary advances in recent years have turned these into plumb jobs, especially considering their part time nature.  Add in additional opportunities to feed at the public trough at the expense of public taxpayers, and you have a cushy job that is protected by an impenetrable union.  Sorry, no sympathy here.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I had a great public education experience.  Look back upon it with wonderful memories.  

You will find no sympathy from me relative to the "plight" of the public school teacher, coach or admin.  Salary advances in recent years have turned these into plumb jobs, especially considering their part time nature.  Add in additional opportunities to feed at the public trough at the expense of public taxpayers, and you have a cushy job that is protected by an impenetrable union.  Sorry, no sympathy here.

image.jpeg.e97b63c5f1ecfeaa721eba7aa6c1fe7d.jpeg

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Every coach on here is shaking their head. Would love for you to go through a typical "in-season" day of a coach. Leave the house at 7am...hoping to return by 7 pm. Those aren't exactly "plumb hours" ....

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, jets said:

Every coach on here is shaking their head. Would love for you to go through a typical "in-season" day of a coach. Leave the house at 7am...hoping to return by 7 pm. Those aren't exactly "plumb hours" ....

If you dont like it,  you can always join those of us in the private sector,  where we don't take 3  month summer vacations and have the comfort of complete and total job security provided by unionization.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

If you dont like it,  you can always join those of us in the private sector,  where we don't take 3  month summer vacations and have the comfort of complete and total job security provided by unionization.  

WRONG!

WRONG!

Now go play w/ your other fantasy island pal Muda.

Image result for fantasy island

You two know it alls can argue over who is tattoo.

Oh, and another thing @DrivenT, you do not hear 1 of us on this here board complaining about not making your supposed 6 figure salary.  

Edited by Coach Ellenwood
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1