Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Staxawax

Center Grove football coach under investigation following allegations of verbal abuse

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Would the elder Mr. Wright still be coaching at Sheridan if he had led the football team to zero state football titles instead of nine?

Let us say he picks up 9 more wins along his illustrious career and NEVER won a state title.  Same answer tattoo, YES!

409-189 in 53rd year at school, 410-192 in 54th year overall

6 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

no you cant.  lol

#ragarm

or are you still the scout team qb from time to time.

#giggles

No clear thinking Munster assistant would take a job at Highland

Its preposterous!

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

No clear thinking Munster assistant would take a job at Highland

Its preposterous!

So nice of you to join me at the "little boy" table.  Fun isnt it?  We have crayons and coloring paper.  Dont challenge me at tic tac toe.  ill whip ya

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

13 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

I strongly disagree.  What if they have homes, family, connections in the local community?  Why should they be forced to leave because those at the top are "entitled" and "empowered" to remain in their positions of authority?

Phil Mason - Michigan City High School

Craig Buzea - Homewood Flossmoor High School

End of discussion

I wasn't familiar with Coach Buzea so I googled him. Here's an article from 2010 & a direct quote from him.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/18/new-homewood-flossmoor-coach-sets-bar-high/

“Kids get more out of being in a solid program than just winning and losing. They're learning a lot of life lessons. They’ll take those experiences and hopefully put them to use as they become young men and family men along the way,” he said.

So even your example says that high school sports are about more than W's & L's.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, slice60 said:

I wasn't familiar with Coach Buzea so I googled him. Here's an article from 2010 & a direct quote from him.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2010/11/18/new-homewood-flossmoor-coach-sets-bar-high/

“Kids get more out of being in a solid program than just winning and losing. They're learning a lot of life lessons. They’ll take those experiences and hopefully put them to use as they become young men and family men along the way,” he said.

So even your example says that high school sports are about more than W's & L's.

Of course they are.  But cant we have an expectation for a reasonable amount of success along the way?  Isn't it nice that Coaches Schellinger and Sharpe have both won big and developed young men at the same time?  Or are the two mutually exclusive in your world?

16 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

We can't put limitations on Senators and US Reps, but we should on football coaches?  C'mon DT.....

No correlation

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand

18 minutes ago, Coach Padgett71 said:

No teacher that stays in the profession is in it for the money...we do it to make a difference and make the world a better place.

Hmm. Do the government school teachers in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and now Arizona know that?

Interesting how government school teachers will trot out the "I'm a altruist" line, until they don't.

12 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

Let us say he picks up 9 more wins along his illustrious career and NEVER won a state title.  Same answer tattoo, YES!

409-189 in 53rd year at school, 410-192 in 54th year overall

Juvenile name calling like 'tattoo' just tells me you are out of relevant ideas and arguments.  Again.

• Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Of course they are.  But cant we have an expectation for a reasonable amount of success along the way?  Isn't it nice that Coaches Schellinger and Sharpe have both won big and developed young men at the same time?  Or are the two mutually exclusive in your world?

No correlation

Irrelevant to the discussion at hand

There is absolutely a correlation...its called foolishness.....

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Hmm. Do the government school teachers in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Kentucky, and now Arizona know that?

Interesting how government school teachers will trot out the "I'm a altruist" line, until they don't.

I applaud the teachers for taking a stand, and congratulate them on their victory.  As a blue blood capitalist, I'm in it for the cash, and appreciate anyone else who is trying to improve their financial situation.

But let's be realistic.  These folks aren't homeless, or living in a box under a bridge.  They have a nice job with a lot of offtime.  Lets call it what it is.  And don't get me started on student loans.  If you took out the loan - OWN IT.  Dont *Deleted* about and complain that you can't pay it back, or go running to your successful boomer parents for a bailout.  Do the right thing and man/woman up to your responsibilities.  

I guess someone yelled at mommy and daddy's little precious.....might have made him cry....

4 hours ago, ManEiaC said:

Coach I understand what you are saying, and agree to an extent, however there are more 18 & 19 year old high school students in todays world as more and more parents hold their kids back for athletic or other reasons. When that 18 year old enlists and arrives at boot camp and in the first day is verbally berated are the parents going to call and complain. Apples to Apples when dealing with upper classmen IMO.

You can actually enlist at 17 and attend basic training between your Jr. and Sr. year.  I fully agree with your point though, it's crazy how you can be "verbally abused" by a coach and then months later (still 17/18 y.o.) and be "trained and disciplined" by your drill sergeant.  It happened to me. : )

just don't wear your uniform to Crown Point graduation ceremony if you go that route of basic training :21_v:

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Both are fantastic coaches who have had done great things for the football program & the student-athletes at LP. However, before that magical late-season run from a 3-5 record all the way to Lucas Oil in 2014, your "win big" criteria would probably place Schellinger into the same category as Marsh. I just looked it up & in between the Slicers semistate appearance in 2006 & 5A runner-up in 2014, the Slicers went 21-51. Ouch.  

Bob Schellinger 110-122 at LP (most wins in school history), 179-167 overall

Marsh coached Munster to five sectional titles, one regional title and nine conference titles. He finished with a 228-166 record and coached 59 first team all-state players. Marsh was inducted in 2007 into the Indiana Football Hall of Fame.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, slice60 said:

Both are fantastic coaches who have had done great things for the football program & the student-athletes at LP. However, before that magical late-season run from a 3-5 record all the way to Lucas Oil in 2014, your "win big" criteria would probably place Schellinger into the same category as Marsh. I just looked it up & in between the Slicers semistate appearance in 2006 & 5A runner-up in 2014, the Slicers went 21-51. Ouch.  

Bob Schellinger 110-122 at LP (most wins in school history), 179-167 overall

Marsh coached Munster to five sectional titles, one regional title and nine conference titles. He finished with a 228-166 record and coached 59 first team all-state players. Marsh was inducted in 2007 into the Indiana Football Hall of Fame.

As you know, I have been a long time proponent of a Munster move to the Duneland Conference.

Munster has been beating up on smaller schools for the past 25 years, ever since the breakup of the Lake Suburban Conference.  Nice record, but weak overall competition.  

Munster also possesses some of the strongest socio-economic advantages in the state relative to its core competitors.  We know factually that strong socio-economic attributes have a direct and clear correlation to wins and losses.  I for one do not believe they have leveraged those inherent strengths of size and socio-economic advantage to their fullest extent.  Frankly, I think they have left quite a bit on the table.

Edited by DrivenT

5 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Munster also possesses some of the strongest socio-economic advantages in the state relative to its core competitors.  We know factually that strong socio-economic attributes have a direct and clear correlation to wins and losses.  I for one do not believe they have leveraged those inherent strengths of size and socio-economic advantage to their fullest extent.  Frankly, I think they have left quite a bit on the table.

You might be able to make that argument looking at football alone. But looking at their athletic department as a whole, they've done quite nicely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bobref said:

You might be able to make that argument looking at football alone. But looking at their athletic department as a whole, they've done quite nicely.

Again, the competition is somewhat watered down.  And why didn't the Munster Athletic Department take measures to elevate the football program to the elite level of swimming, basketball and the country club sports?  

40 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Juvenile name calling like 'tattoo' just tells me you are out of relevant ideas and arguments.  Again.

Thank you for your support. 

• Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

Trying to quickly skim through the whizzing match so I may have missed it if anyone raised this issue, but what are the thoughts on a coach having a fee-based speed/strength side business?  That seems fraught with peril to me...  Is it common in other places?  I'm not aware of anything like that down here in SW Indiana....

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, tango said:

Trying to quickly skim through the whizzing match so I may have missed it if anyone raised this issue, but what are the thoughts on a coach having a fee-based speed/strength side business?  That seems fraught with peril to me...  Is it common in other places?  I'm not aware of anything like that down here in SW Indiana....

In the medical business, they call that "self-referral," and it's illegal.

4 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Sometimes change is good.  Perhaps this is the right time for CG football to go in a different direction.  It certainly would be an interesting development.

Leroy Marsh finally retired after 36 years as head coach at Munster High School.  Marsh is undoubtedly of the highest charactar,  but personally, I think the program will head in a new and better direction, with improved results, post his departure. 

A fresh start at CG might be the best possible result for all parties involved.  

I disagree completely

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Woody Hayes said:

1. You can coach a kid very hard, while at the same time not name-calling, not using profanity, and not making personal attacks. 

2. Kids haven't changed in the 20 years I've coached. Parents have changed. 

I 100% agree that parents have changed A LOT! And in doing so have made kids soft and weak minded. Which has changed kids today compared to when i was a kid back in the 70-80's! So i agree with the 2nd part and disagree with the 1st part of #2,  Which makes coaching a kid "hard" almost impossible in today's world. I was coached very hard when i played sports, called names, jerked around, screamed at..ect.  I didn't take it personal, i didn't cry to mom and dad, (if i had i would've gotten worse from dad) i *%#!?*ed it up and worked harder and listened. Unless i see that coach Moore physically abused kids or staff or something on that level ( and no, grabbing kids by the face mask and pulling them around or by the arm is NOT abuse) i think this is all about nothing except soft kids/parents who can't take a tuff hard nosed coach...IMO 

57 minutes ago, Indiana Fan said:

I disagree completely

I agree with you Indiana fan, I would hate to lose coach Moore.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, tango said:

I dont see the issue with it. It is for kids (2nd-8th grade) that do not participate in spring or winter sports to attend and is coached by players on the high school team. Its a great program.

Edited by CGFan2017
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Indyyjr said:

I guess someone yelled at mommy and daddy's little precious.....might have made him cry....

What does that have to do with the debates of the last couple of pages??? Oh ya, I forgot what started this thread.

4 hours ago, bobref said:

In the medical business, they call that "self-referral," and it's illegal.

But we are not in the medical business here. 

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, franktonite4life said:

You can actually enlist at 17 and attend basic training between your Jr. and Sr. year.  I fully agree with your point though, it's crazy how you can be "verbally abused" by a coach and then months later (still 17/18 y.o.) and be "trained and disciplined" by your drill sergeant.  It happened to me. : )

The difference is their roles. A drill sergeant is preparing you for combat readiness. A public school teacher is, ideally, preparing you for a civilian life. To add, we have an all-volunteer military, but our public school system is compulsory. 

Edited by DanteEstonia
  • Upvote 1

Most responses here seem to be focusing on the students that have made accusations, but in my opinion the part that adds credibility to the claims is that some came from other staff.