Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Staxawax

Center Grove football coach under investigation following allegations of verbal abuse

Have to agree. Many years coaching and no complaints and then all of sudden BOOM. HMMMMMMMMMMMM 

Appreciate your last sentence............... very true.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

But parents and their kids have.......

How so?

Replies on topics like this are like a broken record.  There’s a difference between pushing players to get better and verbally or physically abusing them.  Yes, parents and student athletes have less tolerance for “tough” coaches, but they shouldn’t have to tolerate the Bobby Knight treatment.  Coaches and their apologists like to immediately throw out the soft label, but there needs to be some self reflection from these jerks that think they can say and do whatever they want because they’re “tough.”

I don’t think it’s fair to assume guilt.  Hopefully the claims are exaggerated or not true for the sake of everyone involved.  If the things he’s accused of actually took place though, get rid of him.  There’s no place in coaching and certainly no place in education for people that act like that.  The profession could use some addition by subtraction.

• Upvote 4

25 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

How so?

Because MAJORITY feel like they are entitled to everything these days...nothing needs to be earned. Little Jimmy can’t take any type of criticism. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 5

Sounds like he won't be going out on his own terms. Reputations are easily tarnished, and difficult to repair once damaged. 

I would expect his resignation rather soon

• Downvote 3

2 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Sounds like he won't be going out on his own terms. Reputations are easily tarnished, and difficult to repair once damaged. 

I would expect his resignation rather soon

Not unless he still has D1 offers on the table, besides his son is the QB.  For his son's sake I hope he waits until he graduates and leaves on his own terms.

10 minutes ago, Carpedi3m said:

Not unless he still has D1 offers on the table, besides his son is the QB.  For his son's sake I hope he waits until he graduates and leaves on his own terms.

That's a rather selfish approach given the circumstances.

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Don't shoot the messenger.  I'm thinking Eric Moore hasn't changed since the day he became a football coach.  But parents and their kids have.......

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/25/center-grove-football-coach-under-investigation-following-allegations-verbal-abuse-district-says/551807002/

Yes its not like Eric Moore just started coaching a year ago.  Yet all it takes is a few baby butt soft parents, who have no idea about what athletics is all about, to cause enough of a stink to ruin a man's reputation and career.  Because more and more so-called "administrators" are chicken blank cowards, who also have no idea about what athletics are all about.

We are in a sad state of affairs today.  And its only getting worse. 

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, Dan Jones said:

Yes its not like Eric Moore just started coaching a year ago.  Yet all it takes is a few baby butt soft parents, who have no idea about what athletics is all about, to cause enough of a stink to ruin a man's reputation and career.  Because more and more so-called "administrators" are chicken blank cowards, who also have no idea about what athletics are all about.

We are in a sad state of affairs today.  And its only getting worse. 

Sporting Culture, like any other culture, changes as time and generations come and go.  We cannot stop the inexorable, forward march of time.  

Long timers must "read and react," and adapt to the realities of their evolving orbits.  Some adapt, others don't.  Woody Hayes comes to mind, on the down side of the issue.  Joe Maddon, on the upside.  

• Upvote 3

8 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Sporting Culture, like any other culture, changes as time and generations come and go.  We cannot stop the inexorable, forward march of time.  

Long timers must "read and react," and adapt to the realities of their evolving orbits.  Some adapt, others don't.  Woody Hayes comes to mind, on the down side of the issue.  Joe Maddon, on the upside.  

In today's sign of the apocalypse: I agree with DT.

A quote from the WTHR story is a sign of more than just being a tough coach: '"I can't go to school and call a kid a f----t or a fat a-- and keep my job. I'd be fired on the spot,' a staff member told WTHR."

If that's accurate, then he has no business being an educator and leader of young men. Toughening up has nothing to do with it.

https://www.wthr.com/article/center-grove-hires-investigator-to-probe-allegations-against-head-football-coach

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I doubt if Mr. Moore is a supporter of the "bro culture" that is trending in many coach/player relationships these days.  Probably certain CG players wanted a 'bro", not an authority figure.

• Downvote 1

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Don't shoot the messenger.  I'm thinking Eric Moore hasn't changed since the day he became a football coach.  But parents and their kids have.......

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/04/25/center-grove-football-coach-under-investigation-following-allegations-verbal-abuse-district-says/551807002/

Well said.  Having been around the game for 20+ years I completely agree.  I don’t claim to know anything of this situation.  What I have seen change is the kids, by product of parenting, they have changed.  The level of disrespect is unbelievable.  I believe that the root cause is that parents teach their kids not to respect coaches from their earliest experiences.  Ask someone you know how their kid is doing in bantam football or little league and 9/10 times part of their reply will include “he/she doesn’t have a very good coach” or “the coach has no idea where to play kids”.    Never mind that those coaches are doing what that parent isn’t doing which is volunteering thier time.

Coach Moore could very well be at fault in this situation, I don’t know.  The uninformed me views this as part of a movement to blame coaches for the lack of success one’s child has in athletics.  This reminds me of a conversation that I had with a lower level college coach regarding recruiting.  He said that recruiting before the end of the senior year is largely a waste of time because every kid and parent thinks they are a Power 5 player until then.  What I am saying is that there is a huge problem with accountability and self awareness regardless of the situation at Center Grove.

Edited by BTB30
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

I doubt if Mr. Moore is a supporter of the "bro culture" that is trending in many coach/player relationships these days.  Probably certain CG players wanted a 'bro", not an authority figure.

There it is............

Image result for jim halpert memes

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

27 minutes ago, BTB30 said:

Well said.  Having been around the game for 20+ years I completely agree.  I don’t claim to know anything of this situation.  What I have seen change is the kids, by product of parenting, they have changed.  The level of disrespect is unbelievable.  I believe that the root cause is that parents teach their kids not to respect coaches from their earliest experiences.  Ask someone you know how their kid is doing in bantam football or little league and 9/10 times part of their reply will include “he/she does have a very good coach” or “the coach has no idea where to play kids”.    Never mind that those coaches are doing what that parent isn’t doing which is volunteering thier time.

Coach Moore could very well be at fault in this situation, I don’t know.  The uninformed me views this as part of a movement to blame coaches for the lack of success one’s child has in athletics.  This reminds me of a conversation that I had with a lower level college coach regarding recruiting.  He said that recruiting before the end of the senior year is largely a waste of time because every kid and parent thinks they are a Power 5 player until then.  What I am saying is that there is a huge problem with accountability and self awareness regardless of the situation at Center Grove.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

32 minutes ago, BTB30 said:

Coach Moore could very well be at fault in this situation, I don’t know.  The uninformed me views this as part of a movement to blame coaches for the lack of success one’s child has in athletics.  This reminds me of a conversation that I had with a lower level college coach regarding recruiting.  He said that recruiting before the end of the senior year is largely a waste of time because every kid and parent thinks they are a Power 5 player until then.  

I guess this young man is:  https://www.jconline.com/story/sports/college/purdue/football/2018/04/24/early-scholarship-offers-wont-change-west-lafayette-freshmans-work-ethic/546224002/

I wonder if these parents will contact and complain to the the DOD when & IF they go to a branch of the military?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, ManEiaC said:

I wonder if these parents will contact and complain to the the DOD when & IF they go to a branch of the military?

That's apples and oranges, though. You have to be a legal adult to enlist, whereas high schoolers are still kids. Calling a soldier a "f-----t or a fat a--" from one adult to another is worlds different than an authority figure saying the same thing to a kid under his supervision.

Again, IF these allegations are true, that's no way for a coach and teacher to behave.

Coach I understand what you are saying, and agree to an extent, however there are more 18 & 19 year old high school students in todays world as more and more parents hold their kids back for athletic or other reasons. When that 18 year old enlists and arrives at boot camp and in the first day is verbally berated are the parents going to call and complain. Apples to Apples when dealing with upper classmen IMO.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ManEiaC said:

Coach I understand what you are saying, and agree to an extent, however there are more 18 & 19 year old high school students in todays world as more and more parents hold their kids back for athletic or other reasons. When that 18 year old enlists and arrives at boot camp and in the first day is verbally berated are the parents going to call and complain. Apples to Apples when dealing with upper classmen IMO.

And I agree that sports are a great vessel for developing the mental toughness, self-discipline, and perseverance necessary in adulthood. I don't have kids, so I can't take a parent's perspective. However, viewing this as a fellow coach, I don't want to work alongside someone who thinks it's acceptable to put hands on a kid, to verbally berate a kid, to use insults and coercion instead of more positive motivational tactics...

1 minute ago, Coach Pierson said:

And I agree that sports are a great vessel for developing the mental toughness, self-discipline, and perseverance necessary in adulthood. I don't have kids, so I can't take a parent's perspective. However, viewing this as a fellow coach, I don't want to work alongside someone who thinks it's acceptable to put hands on a kid, to verbally berate a kid, to use insults and coercion instead of more positive motivational tactics...

verbally berate

What do you mean by this?

1. You can coach a kid very hard, while at the same time not name-calling, not using profanity, and not making personal attacks. 

2. Kids haven't changed in the 20 years I've coached. Parents have changed. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

It's the highest emotionally driven sport there is (IMO).  Some things are accidentally said in the heat of a moment that shouldn't be by ALL parties at different times.  Players, fans, coaches, refs... I guess for me, finding the intent along with the number of occurrences is important when considering any sort of punishment.  If the media smearing isn't enough punishment as it is, I really hope they find a way to work this out without removal from his position.  I'll retract my statement if more is uncovered, but what a great coach! 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Woody Hayes said:

1. You can coach a kid very hard, while at the same time not name-calling, not using profanity, and not making personal attacks. 

2. Kids haven't changed in the 20 years I've coached. Parents have changed. 

Thanks.  Maybe some places.