Jump to content
Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
npfb

New Rules: Open Facility Gone

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

:10_v:

Edited by npfb
wrong account

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's a workable solution for out of season sports across the board. I think it's a good move by the IHSAA.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get the out of season rules. I mean it basically extends football season two days a week right after the kids are finished with their seasons. Correct?? I don't understand how that helps the cause? To me it would make more sense to have winter sports start at the end of fall sports and so forth. Any other coaches/people reading it this way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not in favor of this.....

My son’s schedule

           Tuesday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Basketball practice

           Wednesday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Baseball practice

           Thursday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Basketball practice

           Saturday - FB meetings/walk thru’s followed by 2 hr Baseball practice

....and that is just the Fall Schedule...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Schools need to put their big boy pants on and eliminate the ability of out of season coaches to even invite players to practices when they are in another season.  Problem solved!

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does the rule say anything about in season athletes going to out of season workouts? 

If not, then you are right. It will come down to athletic directors to limit in season athletes from going to out of season workouts. 

They should have made it only for your next upcoming season. Meaning during Football season only winter sports can use these new 4 hours. 

But they won't because I am pretty sure this was proposed by basketball in way to limit AAU. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

IHSAA updated by laws:   

I agree:  1 sport at a time:  That is our rule at RCHS

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please clarify...

Can basketball still play 30 games a week (exaggeration) during the summer? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Eaglethrowback said:

Not in favor of this.....

My son’s schedule

           Tuesday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Basketball practice

           Wednesday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Baseball practice

           Thursday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Basketball practice

           Saturday - FB meetings/walk thru’s followed by 2 hr Baseball practice

....and that is just the Fall Schedule...

At some point common sense has to enter the equation. I can't imagine ANY coach who's worth his/her salt would expect in-season athletes to show up for out of season work outs. If this is happening you need to voice your concern with the athletic administration. I had BB players occasionally show up for softball open gyms, I NEVER allowed them to participate, told them to go home, get your homework done, eat a decent meal, GET SOME REST. DO WHAT'S RIGHT FOR THE KIDS, it's their game, their time. 

25 minutes ago, irish4ever said:

Please clarify...

Can basketball still play 30 games a week (exaggeration) during the summer? Thanks. 

Yes, no rule changes regarding out of school, out of season.

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, irish4ever said:

Please clarify...

Can basketball still play 30 games a week (exaggeration) during the summer? Thanks. 

sure would be nice if other sports would be limited like IFCA led programs we instituted over 5 years ago.  

I hope IHSAA makes their restrictions miserable.   

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There should some take since they were given this during school contact that summers for them should limited. Under 20 team events would sound about right. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Eaglethrowback said:

Not in favor of this.....

My son’s schedule

           Tuesday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Basketball practice

           Wednesday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Baseball practice

           Thursday - FB practice followed by 2 hr Basketball practice

           Saturday - FB meetings/walk thru’s followed by 2 hr Baseball practice

....and that is just the Fall Schedule...

DURING football season?  And the AD and head football coach are ok w/ this?

2 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

IHSAA updated by laws:   

I agree:  1 sport at a time:  That is our rule at RCHS

Common sense prevails!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, eschnur66 said:

Schools need to put their big boy pants on and eliminate the ability of out of season coaches to even invite players to practices when they are in another season.  Problem solved!

This creates another problem...specialization. If Billy is a great baseball player that also plays football, and isn't allowed to attend baseball practice in the fall per school rules, then Billy is more likely to say "I'm just going to focus on baseball." 

This new rule is great if you are at a large high school that has a majority of athletes that only play 1 sport, but it is terrible for high school that rely on multi-sport athletes. Kids are going to be pulled in a lot of different directions and the likelihood of them playing just 1 sport is going to increase. 

I am not a fan of this rule at all, but I think the rule would be better if there was only 1 contact period for each season. Example (basketball gets their 5 week period in the fall, baseball gets their 5 week period in the winter, football gets their 5 week period in the spring). 

I think the idea behind this rule is to eliminate all of the "open facility" workouts that turn into actual practice, and just give the schools "permission" to do what a lot of teams are doing already, which is practice out of season. However, I think that there will still be places that use their allowed sessions during their contact period, AND THEN do extra stuff on top of that. 

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Panthers1 said:

This creates another problem...specialization. If Billy is a great baseball player that also plays football, and isn't allowed to attend baseball practice in the fall per school rules, then Billy is more likely to say "I'm just going to focus on baseball." 

This new rule is great if you are at a large high school that has a majority of athletes that only play 1 sport, but it is terrible for high school that rely on multi-sport athletes. Kids are going to be pulled in a lot of different directions and the likelihood of them playing just 1 sport is going to increase. 

I am not a fan of this rule at all, but I think the rule would be better if there was only 1 contact period for each season. Example (basketball gets their 5 week period in the fall, baseball gets their 5 week period in the winter, football gets their 5 week period in the spring). 

I think the idea behind this rule is to eliminate all of the "open facility" workouts that turn into actual practice, and just give the schools "permission" to do what a lot of teams are doing already, which is practice out of season. However, I think that there will still be places that use their allowed sessions during their contact period, AND THEN do extra stuff on top of that. 

Agree, I believe it will cause coaches in other sports to be not so supportive of having their athletes play other sports when they can have 2 hour practices twice a week. It will definitely hurt smaller schools. The not so talented athlete will be pulled more towards their stronger sports. 

And I don't know about everyone else's contracts but now to continue keeping up with other teams that are "practicing" I'm coaching how many more weeks for free? Only person that will profit from this will be divorce lawyers!!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, npfb said:

Agree, I believe it will cause coaches in other sports to be not so supportive of having their athletes play other sports when they can have 2 hour practices twice a week. It will definitely hurt smaller schools. The not so talented athlete will be pulled more towards their stronger sports. 

And I don't know about everyone else's contracts but now to continue keeping up with other teams that are "practicing" I'm coaching how many more weeks for free? Only person that will profit from this will be divorce lawyers!!

Shame on them. The evidence is overwhelming, players who move to the next level are multisport athletes. Do what's right for the kids.

  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really the miss the good ol days.  Basketball would do some open gyms, football would lift weights a couple days a week maybe do 7 on 7 a handful of times, and kids could actually be kids and enjoy their summer and coaches were excited when the season started because it didn't start on June 1st  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Shame on them. The evidence is overwhelming, players who move to the next level are multisport athletes. Do what's right for the kids.

Agree 100%.  I think the evidence speaks for itself that any coach who encourages a player to concentrate on one sport has only his/her best interest in mind and not the player's.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Roll Tribe said:

I really the miss the good ol days.  Basketball would do some open gyms, football would lift weights a couple days a week maybe do 7 on 7 a handful of times, and kids could actually be kids and enjoy their summer and coaches were excited when the season started because it didn't start on June 1st  

Amen!

 

22 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

Agree 100%.  I think the evidence speaks for itself that any coach who encourages a player to concentrate on one sport has only his/her best interest in mind and not the player's.

I agree.  In my experience those coaches are usually insecure jerks. 

Edited by Kamikaze

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all know that THOSE coaches are out there. But we have been very fortunate to have our basketball and baseball coaches encourage their players to play football. Basketball coach is my offensive pressbox coach too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So. Your player now has to go to basketball practice, football practice and maybe wrestling/swimming or baseball in the summer. Would you as a high school kid do all of that for each sport for 4 years? I think we need to scale back alittle on the summer workouts. 2 or 3 days tops a week. Practice or lift time just 2 hours or less. You can do two 7 on 7's and one 11 on 11. Let them be a kid. Also a dead week before the start of the season. 

Just a few ideas. I think then the kids will not be sick of football or all sports by their junior year. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We do all summer football in June and give all the players and coaches July off....no meetings,,,,no workouts nada..........and it works for us (Woodlan) and did the same thing at Harding

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Roll Tribe said:

I really the miss the good ol days.  Basketball would do some open gyms, football would lift weights a couple days a week maybe do 7 on 7 a handful of times, and kids could actually be kids and enjoy their summer and coaches were excited when the season started because it didn't start on June 1st  

Yes sir! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, brvheart63 said:

So. Your player now has to go to basketball practice, football practice and maybe wrestling/swimming or baseball in the summer. Would you as a high school kid do all of that for each sport for 4 years? I think we need to scale back alittle on the summer workouts. 2 or 3 days tops a week. Practice or lift time just 2 hours or less. You can do two 7 on 7's and one 11 on 11. Let them be a kid. Also a dead week before the start of the season. 

Just a few ideas. I think then the kids will not be sick of football or all sports by their junior year. 

There is nothing wrong with the summer schedule that IFCA has out there of 12 pro pad practices and 5 competition days.

Folks need to go talk to the basketball programs and baseball teams and volleyball et al who go north of 30 summer games......    Zero guidelines for those sports.  

They need to get in line before Football needs to do anything.  

Also:  It is not mandatory for football teams to do 12 Pro Pad sessions and 5 competition days.   Not sure why you wouldn't take full advantage.   but it is not mandatory.  

16 hours ago, runandgun said:

We do all summer football in June and give all the players and coaches July off....no meetings,,,,no workouts nada..........and it works for us (Woodlan) and did the same thing at Harding

We are that way as well!!  Though this summer will be the 1st time we have dipped into 2 small competition days in 2nd week of July.   

We still lift and condition in July, but do not typically run practices etc at that time.   

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

There is nothing wrong with the summer schedule that IFCA has out there of 12 pro pad practices and 5 competition days.

Folks need to go talk to the basketball programs and baseball teams and volleyball et al who go north of 30 summer games......    Zero guidelines for those sports.  

They need to get in line before Football needs to do anything.  

Could not agree more. Tip of the hat to the IFCA for going this route. There have been rumblings from North Meridian for several years about doing something with contact in the summer. I wish they would. The demands high school coaches put on athletes in the summer, borders on insanity. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×