Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  
Muda69

Children who play football before age 12 show CTE-related symptoms much sooner

14 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

The numbers are saying that many parents believe as I do:  https://herosports.com/nfl/youth-high-school-football-participation-down-ahah

It would seem this isn't necessarily a Football problem, but given the numbers it takes to play Football, it will be the most visible there. 

35 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

To try and educate other adults on the dangers of tackle football.  They can make their own decision on whether or not to subject their < 18 year old children to such a violent possibly deadly sport.

The numbers are saying that many parents believe as I do:  https://herosports.com/nfl/youth-high-school-football-participation-down-ahah

Well seeing as how you have made numerous posts on this topic consider this forum educated. Feel free to not post the dangers of tackle football ever again.

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, Gamecock Part Deux said:

Well seeing as how you have made numerous posts on this topic consider this forum educated. Feel free to not post the dangers of tackle football ever again.

Feel free to not read what I post. Nobody is forcing you.   There is a handy "ignore" feature if you can't manually control your compulsion.

• Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, Muda69 said:
23 minutes ago, Gamecock Part Deux said:

Feel free to not read what I post. Nobody is forcing you.   There is a handy "ignore" feature if you can't manually control your compulsion

That is a two way street sir.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, Blue Racer said:

That is a two way street sir.  

Which is why my personal policy is to never put anyone on "ignore".  But some people who are easily triggered believe otherwise.

• Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

It never stops, much like TD's belief that the drug called alcohol is ok but that marijuana is still some gateway "demon weed" drug and therefore adults should be prevented by law from possessing it and consuming it.

We are all hypocrites in our own ways...............

That is one way to avoid answering questions I posed to you about risk....try to deflect and turn the table.  

In a way, you are being a troll to your own thread.......nice work!!

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

That is one way to avoid answering questions I posed to you about risk....try to deflect and turn the table.  

He’s spider monkeying himself. Lol

• Haha 4

Consider me "awokened" by this subject....never, ever, EVER, saw Muda post this subject before.

Everybody knows I am the most "AWOKE" person on the GID...many here will vouch for me.

• Thanks 2
  • Upvote 4

On 5/11/2018 at 3:25 PM, Muda69 said:

Which is why my personal policy is to never put anyone on "ignore".  But some people who are easily triggered believe otherwise.

The "ignore" feature on this website really "doesn't". You can still see someone's comments and it requires extra mouse clicks to do it. They can still see your comments as well. The only good thing about the feature is choosing only the option to prevent some nutjob from sending you nasty personal messages. That's the only thing I use it for.

On 5/11/2018 at 4:25 PM, Trojan Dad said:

Muda right now . . . 

Image result for i am the troll king gif

• Haha 1

Interesting that an individual posting information that many on this forum may view as controversial is viewed as a "troll".    

Just keep on keeping your heads in the sand.

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634

• Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Interesting that an individual posting information that many on this forum may view as controversial is viewed as a "troll".    

Just keep on keeping your heads in the sand.

article-2525602-1A2B2A3600000578-553_634

you weren't simply posting/sharing information...you were sharing your personal beliefs (which is ok) I believe it an attempt to drive discussion.  Well done.  The troll comment was tongue in cheek when you attempted to deflect and represent my views that had nothing to do with your own thread.

But kudos to you....some excellent discussion.

• Upvote 1

On 5/19/2018 at 12:21 AM, wchs tiger fan said:

this is a bunch of bull

Thank you for your opinion.  If you have objective data to disprove the linked article please provide it.

• Downvote 1

On 5/13/2018 at 6:57 AM, Gonzoron said:

The "ignore" feature on this website really "doesn't". You can still see someone's comments and it requires extra mouse clicks to do it. They can still see your comments as well. The only good thing about the feature is choosing only the option to prevent some nutjob from sending you nasty personal messages. That's the only thing I use it for.

No wonder you haven't been sending money to get me out of jail.

• Haha 3

interesting concussion editorial I recently came across

https://townhall.com/columnists/johnrlottjr/2018/08/06/football-concussions-n2507163?amp=true&__twitter_impression=true

Politicians, Media Are Wrong About Football's Concussion Risk

With the pro-football season starting this coming week for most teams, media outlets have returned to their steady drumbeat about concussions. Despite the excitement of kickoff returns, college football has bowed to pressure with a new rule this year to discourage kickoff returns.  

But if the media really cares about concussions, they shouldn't be singling out this uniquely American sport.

Women’s soccer players suffer a higher concussion rate than do male football players. A woman's soccer player who plays 10,000 games or practices would on average suffer 6.3 concussions. Compare that to 6.1 for men's football. But men’s wrestling and hockey have even much higher concussion rates of 12.4 and 8.4, respectively.

Concussions aren't the only problem. Both men's and women's soccer exceed men's football in total injuries. The injury rate is 11.14 per 10,000 athletic exposures for men's soccer and 9.7 for women's soccer. For football, it is 9.5 per 10,000.

College athletes suffer about twice the frequency of concussions as high school athletes. In high school, football is riskier than soccer. But girls' and boys' soccer are still the second and third most dangerous sports for concussions, followed closely by girls' basketball.

But evidence also shows that soccer is responsible for more of the serious concussions among high school athletes. Soccer concussions are about twice as likely as football concussions to require 22 or more days of recovery.

Most concussions in soccer occur for the same reason as in football — collisions with other players. But heading the ball is another huge cause of concussions in soccer. In high school, contact with "equipment" is about nine times more likely to cause concussions in boys' soccer as in football. Heading is even more dangerous for women.

Unfortunately, soccer players are much less likely than football players to recognize that they have suffered a concussion. So, they are less likely to take the time to rest and get treatment. Perhaps players aren’t aware of the dangers because the media only fixates on concussions from football.

An article in the Journal of Neurology compared soccer players from several professional Dutch clubs with a control group of elite athletes in non-contact sports. The study found that professional soccer players exhibited relatively impaired performances in memory, planning, and visual perceptions. How poorly the players functioned was related directly to how frequently they had headed the soccer ball.

College football mandated helmets in 1939, and the NFL followed suit in 1943. Since then, the gear has undergone regular improvements. But despite new research showing that soccer helmets can reduce the rate of concussions by up to 70%, soccer remains resistant to any change. There is still no media drumbeat against the sport.

Still, even staying away from sports won’t guarantee protection from concussions. A new study this year in the Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine found that even theater isn’t a safe extra curricular choice for students.  The study found a “stunning” rate of “concussion-related symptoms”: 77 percent had a least one head injury and 39 percent had at least five.  Unfortunately, 70 percent continued working even after having concussion-related symptoms. 

Politicians have helped create the perception that football is particularly risky. Senate Minority Whip Dick Durbin (D-IL), the second-ranking Democrat, has introduced legislation mandating research on concussions in football, hockey, basketball, and baseball.   But there is no mention of soccer.   Senators Tom Udall (D-N.M.), Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) want to pass stricter safety standards for high school football helmets.  Former President Obama went so far as to say in 2014, "I would not let my son play pro football."

If football is such a scourge, where is the concern over even riskier sports such as soccier, hockey, and wrestling?

Soccer might currently be the "in" politically-correct sport that is played by supposedly culturally superior Europeans, but parents who push their children into playing it for safety reasons are in for an unpleasant surprise.

I don't understand this argument.  Are they just trying to shift the focus away from football concussions and towards soccer concussions?

Does that somehow mitigate the seriousness of football related injuries?  

Perhaps its a reverse propaganda campaign designed to shift the focus long term.