Head Coach Opening 2019 Read more... ×

43 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

When was the last time Madison won a conference title, in any sport?

Without wasting my time doing any research 2014, 2015.

I guess I missed the part where anyone said they were winning conference titles. 

context

[kon-tekst]
SynonymsExamplesWord Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun
  1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.

1 hour ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Without wasting my time doing any research 2014, 2015.

I guess I missed the part where anyone said they were winning conference titles. 

context

[kon-tekst]
SynonymsExamplesWord Origin

See more synonyms on Thesaurus.com

noun

1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect:You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.

What sports?

Easy fix. Swap Madison with Silver Creek. Creek is very good in athletics and that is another school that is growing like a weed.

• Upvote 1

Madison won the 3A state baseball title in 1999.

3 hours ago, fkfootball said:

Easy fix. Swap Madison with Silver Creek. Creek is very good in athletics and that is another school that is growing like a weed.

Won't happen.

1a. Madison has to make the decision to leave

1b. The HHC has to make the decision to invite Silver Creek to take Madison's place OR invite them as a ninth member

2. Silver Creek has to make the decision to accept.

Guys, we've gone over this crap time and time again. We've mentioned Columbus East, Jennings County, Madison, Seymour and/or BNL all leaving the conference and we've all mentioned Silver Creek and the like as replacement members. It's time to let these hopes and wishes die. We've beat this dead horse as well. Let's just let things play out. They'll happen if they're meant to be.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

19 years ago.

7 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Won't happen.

1b. The HHC has to make the decision to invite Silver Creek to take Madison's place OR invite them as a ninth member

Guys, we've gone over this crap time and time again. We've mentioned Columbus East, Jennings County, Madison, Seymour and/or BNL all leaving the conference and we've all mentioned Silver Creek and the like as replacement members. It's time to let these hopes and wishes die. We've beat this dead horse as well. Let's just let things play out. They'll happen if they're meant to be.

You're making too much sense, Tundra. Lol.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

19 years ago.

No other HHC team has won the Ba ship since. 

8 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Won't happen.

Why would SC leave the MSC? Farthest trip is 38 miles, they compete across the board in all sports, and they are the biggest school in the conference. I could see SC competing a little better in Football in the HHC than Madison does, but in all seriousness, is their win-loss record going to be much better? When you take into consideration they're trading Clarksville, Scottsburg, Eastern (Pekin) for FC, NA, Jeff, etc.? They finished third in the MSC last year in Football, with a pretty decent team. 

Madison has routinely beat NA and Seymour in the all-sport competition, perhaps everyone should be clamoring for NA and Seymour to move to the MSC. 

Yes Madison struggles in Football, and East has dominated for the last 15 years. Conference affiliation however is a big picture decision. I would think SC would end up with very similar results across the board as Madison. 

7 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

No other HHC team has won the Ba ship since. 

The other schools in the conference might have won a State title in that period and sport also, if they were 3A schools as well.

8 hours ago, DanteEstonia said:

The other schools in the conference might have won a State title in that period and sport also, if they were 3A schools as well.

Well, yeah. They'd win it with 4A enrollments. Take away 300-1,000 students (depending on the school) and then see if they could win in 3A. Was Madison the best team in the HHC that year? Don't know. Probably not. However, with their 3A enrollment, they were able to win a state title and that's impressive. Can't take anything away from that. I'd rather have that state title than an HHC title. Nobody is going to look back and say, "You may have won a 3A state title but you didn't win the HHC." Nobody would remember or even care to remember.

17 hours ago, fkfootball said:

You're making too much sense, Tundra. Lol.

See what the offseason does to me? lol

6 hours ago, Frozen Tundra said:

Well, yeah. They'd win it with 4A enrollments. Take away 300-1,000 students (depending on the school) and then see if they could win in 3A. Was Madison the best team in the HHC that year? Don't know. Probably not. However, with their 3A enrollment, they were able to win a state title and that's impressive. Can't take anything away from that. I'd rather have that state title than an HHC title. Nobody is going to look back and say, "You may have won a 3A state title but you didn't win the HHC." Nobody would remember or even care to remember.

See what the offseason does to me? lol

I believe they won the HHC as well. Could be wrong, I’m too lazy to look it up.

NA and Center Grove spent most of the season at #1 in the polls this year, both teams lost their first round sectional games. East and Madison are the outliers, they don’t have to play in the HHC sectional, which is a meat grinder, in any sport. 

Posted (edited)

I posted this on another message board, but here’s my proposal, which I think is relevant to this discussion.

In football, Columbus East wants fewer conference games so they are free to schedule tougher competition.  Madison and Jennings County also want fewer conference games so they have the opportunity to play opponents they could be more competitive against.  Maybe they could make that possible by going to large/small divisions for football like the Eastern Indiana Conference, and play the teams in their division, plus 2 cross division games.  In order to make that work, it would be helpful to add one larger school for the large division, and one smaller school for the small division in addition to the 8 current members.  That way each FB division has 5 teams.  Silver Creek fits the small school choice, and with the impending death of Conference Indiana, Columbus North can join their city rival East in the large school division.  So for football, the HHC would look like this:

Large School:
Columbus East
Columbus North
Floyd Central
Jeffersonville
New Albany

Small School:
Bedford North Lawrence
Jennings County
Madison
Seymour
Silver Creek

All teams would play their 4 division opponents, plus 2 cross division opponents, leaving 3 non-conference games.  That would give everyone a more competitively balanced conference schedule, and it would offer more flexibility to schedule non-conference opponents.  Columbus East could still pursue games with tougher competition, Columbus North can keep the Bloomington schools, Madison and Jennings County can add or keep a few smaller schools on their schedule, and Silver Creek can keep some of their current MSC rivals.

In all other sports, everyone plays everyone.  Travel is better for Columbus North since they wouldn’t have to go to Terre Haute anymore, and the level of competition really wouldn’t be any less in the HHC.  Silver Creek wouldn’t have to travel much more than they do in the MSC, and the level of competition would better prepare them to compete against schools their size (and larger, since they’re growing).

Edited by HoopsCoach

That’s a pretty good suggestion.  First, it keeps the conference alive, pretty much as it has been.  It’s gives the schools that have struggled in football some flexibility in scheduling.  It brings in some new blood.  It doesn’t increase travel as the two new schools are within the present geographical bounds.  Good thinking HoopsCoach.  

4 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

NA and Center Grove spent most of the season at #1 in the polls this year, both teams lost their first round sectional games. East and Madison are the outliers, they don’t have to play in the HHC sectional, which is a meat grinder, in any sport. 

Madison won the HHC in baseball in 1998 and 1999. Also were sectional and regional champs both years......state champs in 99. Had 3 players off those teams drafted by MLB.

19 minutes ago, Dawgs_Dad said:

Madison won the HHC in baseball in 1998 and 1999. Also were sectional and regional champs both years......state champs in 99. Had 3 players off those teams drafted by MLB.

Didn't they have a kid named Watson who was also their QB?

7 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

Didn't they have a kid named Watson who was also their QB?

Don't recall that name. I do remember Bryan Bullington going 15-0 in 99.......he had 15 K's and threw a 1 hitter in the championship. He pitched at Ball St. and was the #1 draft pick in 2002 by the Pirates. His pro career didn't fair as well though. I think he ended up in Japan. Also remember a guy named Liter(sp?)......heck of a hitter. They had really good teams both those years.

22 minutes ago, Dawgs_Dad said:

Don't recall that name. I do remember Bryan Bullington going 15-0 in 99.......he had 15 K's and threw a 1 hitter in the championship. He pitched at Ball St. and was the #1 draft pick in 2002 by the Pirates. His pro career didn't fair as well though. I think he ended up in Japan. Also remember a guy named Liter(sp?)......heck of a hitter. They had really good teams both those years.

FYI, Seymour's Zach Brown is scheduled to be in AAA later in the summer. He's currently with Biloxi in AA, in the Brewers organization. I don't think he's making any money  yet, but he's living the dream for all of us sinners. 

7 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

FYI, Seymour's Zach Brown is scheduled to be in AAA later in the summer. He's currently with Biloxi in AA, in the Brewers organization. I don't think he's making any money  yet, but he's living the dream for all of us sinners. 

Great to hear. I'll have to keep better track of him. BTW, Brown did get a $400,000 signing bonus in 2016......so he shouldn't be broke yet lol. NA's Josh Rogers is in AAA with the Yankees and doing fairly well too. 

1 hour ago, Dawgs_Dad said:

Great to hear. I'll have to keep better track of him. BTW, Brown did get a $400,000 signing bonus in 2016......so he shouldn't be broke yet lol. NA's Josh Rogers is in AAA with the Yankees and doing fairly well too. 

He made it out to the firepit last fall when he was home. He said he bought himself a truck and is saving the rest. He seems to really be enjoying living with host families and says each one has been awesome with him. He and Rogers I think are pretty good friends, as well as total rivals...Seymour/NA, UofL/UK.  Good to see local kids do well. 

15 hours ago, HoopsCoach said:

I posted this on another message board, but here’s my proposal, which I think is relevant to this discussion.

In football, Columbus East wants fewer conference games so they are free to schedule tougher competition.  Madison and Jennings County also want fewer conference games so they have the opportunity to play opponents they could be more competitive against.  Maybe they could make that possible by going to large/small divisions for football like the Eastern Indiana Conference, and play the teams in their division, plus 2 cross division games.  In order to make that work, it would be helpful to add one larger school for the large division, and one smaller school for the small division in addition to the 8 current members.  That way each FB division has 5 teams.  Silver Creek fits the small school choice, and with the impending death of Conference Indiana, Columbus North can join their city rival East in the large school division.  So for football, the HHC would look like this:

Large School:
Columbus East
Columbus North
Floyd Central
Jeffersonville
New Albany

Small School:
Bedford North Lawrence
Jennings County
Madison
Seymour
Silver Creek

All teams would play their 4 division opponents, plus 2 cross division opponents, leaving 3 non-conference games.  That would give everyone a more competitively balanced conference schedule, and it would offer more flexibility to schedule non-conference opponents.  Columbus East could still pursue games with tougher competition, Columbus North can keep the Bloomington schools, Madison and Jennings County can add or keep a few smaller schools on their schedule, and Silver Creek can keep some of their current MSC rivals.

In all other sports, everyone plays everyone.  Travel is better for Columbus North since they wouldn’t have to go to Terre Haute anymore, and the level of competition really wouldn’t be any less in the HHC.  Silver Creek wouldn’t have to travel much more than they do in the MSC, and the level of competition would better prepare them to compete against schools their size (and larger, since they’re growing).

Not sure if you've heard but the HHC has moved to a six game schedule for its teams which leaves three weeks for non-conference opponents. So having the extra non-conference game is already a reality.

Yes, but wasn’t that done to keep people from leaving the conference?  Wouldn’t something like what HoopsCoach suggested give the conference some long term stability?  

Silver Creek keeps getting thrown around, but has anyone considered that they may (more likely than not) have zero interest in joining the HHC? They are very competitive in most sports in the MSC, and if this is driven by football only, I can’t see them leaving. They had a nice ball club last season, but have not yet shown that they are ready to win 8-9 games each season against a MSC schedule largely in part for the fact that they have had a football program for less than a decade. Basketball plays several HHC teams each season already. 

If you’re Silver Creek, there is nothing appealing about joining HHC, unless you enjoy longer travels, or just want to take your turn at getting your teeth kicked in by Columbus East.

• Upvote 1

I've talked to people at both Charlestown and SC, I can confirm neither have ANY interest in joining the HHC. Gilbert "might" be the only person with a long term eye on getting back to the HHC. I'm pretty sure his coaches at this point in time would run him out if he even suggested it. 

On 6/7/2018 at 6:33 AM, Impartial_Observer said:

???