Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

New Footballs

So let me get this right.  During the regular season we can use the Team Issue balls unless the other team has Wilson, then we can use theirs.  In Sectionals the Team Issue ball can still be used, again unless the other team has Wilson and we can use theirs.  In Regionals and Semi State we have to use Wilson.  At state, the IHSAA will provide us with game balls.  Is this correct?

4 hours ago, Julio said:

So let me get this right.  During the regular season we can use the Team Issue balls unless the other team has Wilson, then we can use theirs.  In Sectionals the Team Issue ball can still be used, again unless the other team has Wilson and we can use theirs.  In Regionals and Semi State we have to use Wilson.  At state, the IHSAA will provide us with game balls.  Is this correct?

That is correct. 

The Team Issue balls are NOT approved for use in the playoffs.  Only the Wilson GST.  If you do not provide that FB.  Then the other team's Wilson GST will be used for the contest by BOTH teams.  There is also no guarantee that YOU will have footballs rotated in, as you are at the whim of the team with the approved footballs to provide to you "additional" balls. 

A report will be submitted to the IHSAA office of the Team Issue FB situation....and that is that. 

Again.  You can confirm this information with an email or call to Commissioner Faulkens.  

On 7/30/2022 at 3:39 PM, Yuccaguy said:

That is correct. 

The Team Issue balls are NOT approved for use in the playoffs.  Only the Wilson GST.  If you do not provide that FB.  Then the other team's Wilson GST will be used for the contest by BOTH teams.  There is also no guarantee that YOU will have footballs rotated in, as you are at the whim of the team with the approved footballs to provide to you "additional" balls. 

A report will be submitted to the IHSAA office of the Team Issue FB situation....and that is that. 

Again.  You can confirm this information with an email or call to Commissioner Faulkens.  

From the IHSAA 2021-22 Fall Bulletin:

Balls – Sectional – Each school is encouraged to use an official Wilson football (models 1003 GST, 1001 or 1005 with the NFHS authenticating mark).
Regionals & Semi-States– Schools must use an official Wilson football as described above. The IHSAA will supply two (2) Wilson 1003 GST footballs. If either team desires to use another official Wilson ball (1001 or 1005 with the NFHS authenticating mark), they may do so, provided they furnish the ball. The IHSAA will supply all game balls at Lucas Oil Stadium.
State Finals - IHSAA will provide all game balls. No school footballs will be used during State Finals games.

There is nothing in this bulletin that supports your stance.  And I have never coached in a game where our team did not use our own balls. Where is your support of your stance on game balls.

Edited by Punttheball
  • Sit and spin 1

3 hours ago, Punttheball said:

From the IHSAA 2021-22 Fall Bulletin:

Balls – Sectional – Each school is encouraged to use an official Wilson football (models 1003 GST, 1001 or 1005 with the NFHS authenticating mark).
Regionals & Semi-States– Schools must use an official Wilson football as described above. The IHSAA will supply two (2) Wilson 1003 GST footballs. If either team desires to use another official Wilson ball (1001 or 1005 with the NFHS authenticating mark), they may do so, provided they furnish the ball. The IHSAA will supply all game balls at Lucas Oil Stadium.
State Finals - IHSAA will provide all game balls. No school footballs will be used during State Finals games.

There is nothing in this bulletin that supports your stance.  And I have never coached in a game where our team did not use our own balls. Where is your support of your stance on game balls.

Again...this is a blog.  I have said numerous times.....

Contact Commissioner Faulkens and get a definitive answer!

I am not here to haggle over minutia!  Perhaps you are 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

I guess it is your matter of the fact attitude that you are right and everyone else is wrong! A bulletin is issued contradicting your statements and your reply is "contact the commissioner". I thought that maybe you had an issued bulletin that outdates the one that has been discussed in this thread.  

• Like 1
  • Disdain 1

Let’s go back to the original question…….does ANYONE plan on using those footballs in a varsity game??? Hopefully you still have a few of last years left. I personally will take footballs out of the trophy case first. I’m sorry but they are not a good substitution for Wilson’s. 

• Like 1

On 7/31/2022 at 10:12 PM, Yuccaguy said:

Minutia is what makes football such a great sport!

Not to be confused with Menudo, which is a delicious Mexican soup...

• Haha 2

On 8/1/2022 at 11:09 AM, Punttheball said:

I guess it is your matter of the fact attitude that you are right and everyone else is wrong! A bulletin is issued contradicting your statements and your reply is "contact the commissioner". I thought that maybe you had an issued bulletin that outdates the one that has been discussed in this thread.  

You asked a question.  I answered.  Then I NUMEROUS times suggested that you contact the Commissioner.

Its funny that discussions like this are why officials are leaving the sport.  Always have to get in that LAST and FINAL word to guarantee that you are correct.  

Thank goodness I have no games in the TRC anytime soon.  

5 hours ago, Yuccaguy said:

You asked a question.  I answered.  Then I NUMEROUS times suggested that you contact the Commissioner.

Its funny that discussions like this are why officials are leaving the sport.  Always have to get in that LAST and FINAL word to guarantee that you are correct.  

Thank goodness I have no games in the TRC anytime soon.  

Only worked sectional games and have never been told we had to throw out anything that isn't Wilson. The information shared from the bulletin is always how I've understood it. WIlsons are recommended but not required the first three rounds.

• Like 2

Ok since $$$$ was brought up earlier, I did some research on the cost of the footballs in question.

According to Team Issue, the cost of those with the NFHS stamp are selling for $84.99 with a variety of a colored football outline on the ball.

Team Issue also sells a 'Youth' football for $69.99

The Wilson GST 'Game Ball' is selling for $109.95 on the Wilsom website.

Wilson also had a couple additional balls on the website. 

A Wilson 'Game Football' with custom text is selling for $124.95 on the Wilson Website.

A 'Prime' Wilson GST Football goes for $149.95 on the Wilson website.

I am NOT a salesman.

I am NOT here to pitch any product or sell any footballs.

Just doing some further research on the subject at hand for general knowledge.

as always, the game is better

from_the_sidelines007

• Like 1

6 hours ago, from_the_sidelines007 said:

Ok since $$$$ was brought up earlier, I did some research on the cost of the footballs in question.

According to Team Issue, the cost of those with the NFHS stamp are selling for $84.99 with a variety of a colored football outline on the ball.

Team Issue also sells a 'Youth' football for $69.99

The Wilson GST 'Game Ball' is selling for $109.95 on the Wilsom website.

Wilson also had a couple additional balls on the website. 

A Wilson 'Game Football' with custom text is selling for $124.95 on the Wilson Website.

Dang, I bought a couple GSTs maybe 18 months ago for ~80-ish each. Now, those were the "cosmetic rejects" where the logos were misaligned or were otherwise just not aesthetically pleasing, but functionally fine. Still, I don't remember the regular GSTs being even close to that. Maybe 10 bucks more per (?)

That said, I can't estimate a construction project anymore even if my life depended on it... suppliers won't even hold numbers more than 72 hours nowadays. I have no clue how contractors are bidding public projects and getting a good night's sleep.

• 2 months later...
On 7/30/2022 at 10:57 AM, Julio said:

Well, tournament started and Knox won home game so did you play with your balls ?

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, dazed and confused said:

Well, tournament started and Knox won home game so did you play with your balls ?

16 hours ago, Bobref said:

That’s a little personal, don’t you think? 😉😅🤣

image.png.93912aef0415ccd5e6cf37e49332c82f.png

• Haha 3