Sign in to follow this  
DrivenT

New sign of the apocalypse - IHSA sanctions Varsity Video Games

Heard on the radio today that the Illinois High School Association has sanctioned Video Games as a varsity sport.

Maybe this is a way to reverse the outbound migration of residents to other states.  Young video gamers and their enabling parents will pack up the moving van from throughout the midwest so their video game obsessed youth can earn a varsity letter at Glenbard West.  Fabulous.  :07_v:

Illinois varsity football rosters are seeing significant declines throughout the state.  This won't help.  I wonder if they will have a class system for the Video Game state tournament based on enrollment?  

Most colleges already have this, it is called esports. You can win scholarships.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

Heard on the radio today that the Illinois High School Association has sanctioned Video Games as a varsity sport.

Maybe this is a way to reverse the outbound migration of residents to other states.  Young video gamers and their enabling parents will pack up the moving van from throughout the midwest so their video game obsessed youth can earn a varsity letter at Glenbard West.  Fabulous.  :07_v:

Illinois varsity football rosters are seeing significant declines throughout the state.  This won't help.  I wonder if they will have a class system for the Video Game state tournament based on enrollment?  

And?

7 minutes ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

And?

I provide the content.  

Take it and run with it.

1 hour ago, Julio said:

Most colleges already have this, it is called esports. You can win scholarships.

Really?

8 hours ago, DrivenT said:

Think it should be on average classified by average GPA.

16 hours ago, Julio said:

Don't say most, as that implies a majority, which is not even close to factual. There are colleges with esports programs. There are also some of those colleges who offer scholarships for it; as with any other scholarship program, some of those are significant scholarship amounts and some are not.

On 6/4/2018 at 1:48 PM, DrivenT said:

I wonder if they will have a class system for the Video Game state tournament based on enrollment?  

This gave me a good chuckle.