Sign in to follow this  
fkfootball

James Bragg is new HC at Floyd Central.

Official. Good luck to coach Bragg. Seems like a motivated guy.

48 minutes ago, DrivenT said:

Surprising that a resource rich school like FC has to go bottom feeding for a new HFC.

What makes it bottom feeding?

I'm seeing a clear trend of coaching hires where relevant experience and accomplishment appear to be unnecessary when screening and interviewing candidates for many of these big school jobs.

That is my observation following the last few cycles of coaching hires.

This reminds me a little of the situation up north at Valpo.  

Man I get your point but the bottom feeding comment was kind of rough.  Coach Bragg seems to be well liked by the players and I’m told he’s got their respect.  Time will tell if he’s the right choice but he stepped up and wanted the job so I wish him good luck.

39 minutes ago, Colonel85 said:

Man I get your point but the bottom feeding comment was kind of rough.  Coach Bragg seems to be well liked by the players and I’m told he’s got their respect.  Time will tell if he’s the right choice but he stepped up and wanted the job so I wish him good luck.

Perhaps.  But it is what it is.  The record speaks for itself.  It just disappoints me when I see schools settle for less than what the kids really deserve.  And its happening with much greater frequency.  I put that on the AD and the administration.  They clearly do not have a vision of excellence and high achievement for this program.  That attitude is reflected in this hire.

He was a HC for 1 year at a school that has an awful football program. FC has a lot of talent and he'll keep the same system.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, Colonel85 said:

I'm very bothered by this comment. Sure sounds like the inmates are running the asylum at FC. Did they allow some of the 15 and 16 year old boys on that roster to sit thru the interview process to insure that they would "like" and "respect" the new Head coach?  

I thought adults were charged with these hiring decisions

This smacks of another "Bro Culture" hire. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see FC back in the market again at this time next year.

But it's all good. Schools have the right to set, raise or lower the standards for the positions in their respective organizations.   Perhaps FC feels like somehow they have upgraded here. Time will tell

Edited by DrivenT
  • Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, DrivenT said:

I'm very bothered by this comment. Sure sounds like the inmates are running the asylum at FC. Did they allow some of the 15 and 16 year old boys on that roster to sit thru the interview process to insure that they would "like" and "respect" the new Head coach?  

I thought adults were charged with these hiring decisions

This smacks of another "Bro Culture" hire. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see FC back in the market again at this time next year.

But it's all good. Schools have the right to set, raise or lower the standards for the positions in their respective organizations.   Perhaps FC feels like somehow they have upgraded here. Time will tell

Nope.

They dont have any teaching positions open. And you can't just fire someone to make room. 

Edited by fkfootball

4 minutes ago, fkfootball said:

Nope.

They dont have any teaching positions open. And you can't just fire someone to mae room. 

C'mon man, don't let facts get in the way of DT justifying his opinion. 

JC has been in the same situation their last three hires. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Impartial_Observer said:

C'mon man, don't let facts get in the way of DT justifying his opinion. 

JC has been in the same situation their last three hires. 

That's just how it works. Doesn't mean the new coach isn't any good. He's an unknown. We'll find out this fall.

I don't buy into this theory that schools are blocked from making key personnel decisiins due to current staff restrictions.

If a super, principal or AD FEELS STRONGLY ENOUGH ABOUT A KEY, VITAL ROLL WITHIN HIS/HER ORGANIZATION, HE OR SHE WILL FIND THE MEANS TO FILL THAT ROLL. 

If the FC brass had come together and set a goal to win the HHC and challenge the Indy schools in the 6A state tournament, Im guessing that they would have made a different choice with this hire.

That is the bothersome part.   

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

I don't buy into this theory that schools are blocked from making key personnel decisiins due to current staff restrictions.

If a super, principal or AD FEELS STRONGLY ENOUGH ABOUT A KEY, VITAL ROLL WITHIN HIS/HER ORGANIZATION, HE OR SHE WILL FIND THE MEANS TO FILL THAT ROLL. 

If the FC brass had come together and set a goal to win the HHC and challenge the Indy schools in the 6A state tournament, Im guessing that they would have made a different choice with this hire.

That is the bothersome part.   

First of all, not sure why FC would need to compete with Indy schools in the 6A tournament when they're smack dab in the middle of 5A. I'm assuming by your calculations with the right hire they'd go up to 6A on the next count based on Tradition Factor?

You're idea is to subjugate the education aspect of school to athletics? I agree, that is bothersome. 

1 minute ago, Impartial_Observer said:

First of all, not sure why FC would need to compete with Indy schools in the 6A tournament when they're smack dab in the middle of 5A. I'm assuming by your calculations with the right hire they'd go up to 6A on the next count based on Tradition Factor?

You're idea is to subjugate the education aspect of school to athletics? I agree, that is bothersome. 

Disregard the 6A comment.  I was mistaken.

Targeting the primary goal of an HHC championship should be the minimum objective.  

If I'm a fan/supporter/parent of the FC program, I ask myself one very simple question.

"Are we in position to build on the success that the prior coach brought to this program? "

Its as simple as that.

Well if he doesn't succeed early, they'll make  a change.

9 hours ago, fkfootball said:

Nope.

They dont have any teaching positions open. And you can't just fire someone to make room. 

8 hours ago, Impartial_Observer said:

First off I think the players probably had little to no input on this decision.  From what I’ve heard there wasn’t a great deal of interest in the job and I’m as confused by that as anyone.  I also believe they had a more high profile hire and it fell through.  To be honest I thought they would be getting a proven coach at a smaller level or an Assistant at a proven school.  I’ve heard the excuse that it’s too late in the year so they had trouble with applicants but I don’t understand that since school just ended.  Maybe some of you can enlighten me on that possibility.  My only point in saying the kids respect him is at least that’s a positive.  I also don’t think respecting your coach means he isn’t pushing kids to be their best.  I would love to have Bill Gaddis, a high profile Assistant, or another proven winner but it sounds like they may not have walked through that door.  Fc has lost a lot in the last two classes and have very little Varsity experience returning.  This may be a rough couple of years anyway.  Like I said, I wish Coach Bragg the best.

They had 16 interviews! 16! Someone walked thru the door.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, fkfootball said:

They had 16 interviews! 16! Someone walked thru the door.

There were nowhere near 16 interviews.  Not. Even. Close.  A total of 8 people were interviewed for the job.  

20 minutes ago, Coach Hess said:

There were nowhere near 16 interviews.  Not. Even. Close.  A total of 8 people were interviewed for the job.  

Regardless, I am fine with their choice.