Sign in to follow this  
CGFan2017

Center Grove to Add New Score Board with Bigger Jumbotron

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Who is Donnie?

14 hours ago, Coach Ellenwood said:

It was a joke dude. Relax. 

19 hours ago, DrivenT said:

No one in that community (White River Township) will be challenging any financial investments in CG schools any time soon.  They all are keenly aware that the CG school system, and the cult like athletic culture in the district,  are the keys to maintaining their high property values.  No reason to upset the golden goose.  

Cult-like 

LOL

• Upvote 1

How will our "jumbotron" compare to that of Warren Central?  Why no comments about theirs?

The schools are the single biggest drawing card for the community,

This is true.  Some students/residents live in Greenwood, some live in Bargersville, while others live in "the unincorporated district of White River Township.  The school is our identity. 

• Upvote 2

I owned a home in White River Township, Center Grove school district, from 2004-2013.

My prop value was in the 235K range and property taxes were in the 2% range.  Very reasonable.  

CG schools were in constant building, remodeling mode during my entire 10 year stay in the community.  The schools are the single biggest drawing card for the community, as there is little industry/business base in that part of the Indy metro area.  

I pay less than 1% of my house's assessed value annually.

Just now, Grover said:

I pay less than 1% of my house's assessed value annually.

Actually, I was right around 1.5%   Very cheap.  

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Who is Donnie?

"Message Center". lol.  And the district should use the expensive signs to push advertisements, it might help to to recoup the $313,000 in taxpayer money that was spent on such an extravagance.

LOL....you could have saved time by reading the article in the first place instead of repeatedly asking.

Then when you are spoon fed, then you challenge the school board's decision.  No matter the answer you received, we all knew the response coming.  

Do you think the WRT school board pays much attention to the opinions of a Clinton County resident??  Do you vote in Johnson County?

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

LOL....you could have saved time by reading the article in the first place instead of repeatedly asking.

Then when you are spoon fed, then you challenge the school board's decision.  No matter the answer you received, we all knew the response coming.  

Do you think the WRT school board pays much attention to the opinions of a Clinton County resident??  Do you vote in Johnson County?

It is my job as a citizen to question and challenge the decisions of elected officials, no matter where they reside.  Do you blindly trust yours?

Edited by Muda69
  • Like 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

It is my job as a citizen to question and challenge the decisions of elected officials, no matter where they reside.  Do you blindly trust yours?

I don't give a Tinker's Darn as to what your county officials decide.  I'm not sure why you care about mine.

16 minutes ago, Trojan Dad said:

I don't give a Tinker's Darn as to what your county officials decide.  I'm not sure why you care about mine.

Because it shines as a beacon of wasted taxpayer dollars to other municipalities and school boards, who might get similar notions.

• Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Because it shines as a beacon of wasted taxpayer dollars to other municipalities and school boards, who might get similar notions.

You don’t get to decide how other people spend their money.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, bobref said:

You don’t get to decide how other people spend their money.

Decide?  No, and I have never claimed as such.   Vigorously voice my opinions? Yes.

Edited by Muda69

37 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Decide?  No, and I have never claimed as such.   Vigorously voice my opinions? Yes.

Just like one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, one man’s waste is another man’s investment. The folks at Center Grove have decided that, for their community, this makes sense. In another community, e.g., Frankfort, it might not. But, by all accounts, the Center Grove community is thriving. So, for my money, they’re entitled to the benefit of the doubt. Not all return on investment is capable of precise measurement. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, bobref said:

Just like one man’s trash is another man’s treasure, one man’s waste is another man’s investment. The folks at Center Grove have decided that, for their community, this makes sense. In another community, e.g., Frankfort, it might not. But, by all accounts, the Center Grove community is thriving. So, for my money, they’re entitled to the benefit of the doubt. Not all return on investment is capable of precise measurement. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t there.

So "thriving" equals spending over $300,000 on electronic signage.   And I still fail to see how such an extravagance fits into the Center Grove Community School Corporation's mission and vision statements.

It fits into their mission statement because that mission is to outdo Carmel whenever possible.  

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

So "thriving" equals spending over $300,000 on electronic signage.   And I still fail to see how such an extravagance fits into the Center Grove Community School Corporation's mission and vision statements.

You fail, but obviously they don’t. I’d like to hear from @Trojan Dad and other CG faithful about the hue and cry being raised in the district over this extravagance... or not.

5 minutes ago, bobref said:

You fail, but obviously they don’t.

Yeah, I'm a failure in pretty much everything.   Wish I could be a successful as you, or everybody that lives within the Center Grove school district where throwing taxpayer money away for $300,000 in signs is viewed as normal.

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yeah, I'm a failure in pretty much everything.   Wish I could be a successful as you, or everybody that lives within the Center Grove school district where throwing taxpayer money away for $300,000 in signs is viewed as normal.

No need to get personal.

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I guess if I lived in a cesspool like Frankfort, I would probably have this same POV.  :04_v:

1 minute ago, DrivenT said:

I guess if I lived in a cesspool like Frankfort, I would probably have this same POV.  :04_v:

Yep, it is becoming a real hellhole.  My property taxes have almost doubled over the last 4-5 years,  and not because the market value of my home as appreciated.  It is due to out of control City and Government school corporation spending.  

As a person who grew up on the west side and went to Ben Davis, taught in Madison County at Pendleton Heights, has family that went to Center Grove and Avon - and now resides in Plainfield: Each community is slightly different. All value athletics and have the money to do whatever they want. Ultra-conservative uses of taxpayer money is why our infrastructure is the way it is now. Sometimes, you need to renovate and improve. Center Grove, and their taxpaying citizens can choose to voice their opinion. Not my deal. I may have connections to all of those school districts, but the only one that matters now is Plainfield - where my son goes and I pay taxes.

Off season 2014 into 2015 we needed a new scoreboard, after 30 + years it was time.   Community was amazing as always, was able to get exactly what we wanted and it looks great.  Also got a message center that I was able to generate over 10k in revenue for our program that we are able to give back directly to our student athletes for bags, equipment upgrades such as tackle wheels et al.   Advertising locally is a great source for both school and business owners.  

9 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Off season 2014 into 2015 we needed a new scoreboard, after 30 + years it was time.   Community was amazing as always, was able to get exactly what we wanted and it looks great.  Also got a message center that I was able to generate over 10k in revenue for our program that we are able to give back directly to our student athletes for bags, equipment upgrades such as tackle wheels et al.   Advertising locally is a great source for both school and business owners.  

Exactly! I ran the high school radio station at Pendleton Heights for over 10 years. Started there with an income stream of $500/year school funding and my salary with 8 students. After developing a sponsorship program that included selling time on sports events and making ourselves known in the community, I had 16 seniors in my final year with over 10% of the school in one of my media classes that year (130+), winning National Radio School of the Year, and bringing in nearly $25,000 per year - including large deals with the Indianapolis Indians, Penske car dealerships, and a ton locally. Effort = success. Now I have a 5-time Emmy award winning sports documentary producer and many other successful former students. I bet A LOT of people said we were wasting money buying a $2,500 tent with our logo plastered all over it. It was from sponsorship and has produced many successful students that got interested in advertising and promotions industries. I absolutely can not stand people telling schools how to spend money - they know their students. That's one reason I don't teach anymore (that and salary and parents).

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, butlerguy03 said:

Exactly! I ran the high school radio station at Pendleton Heights for over 10 years. Started there with an income stream of $500/year school funding and my salary with 8 students. After developing a sponsorship program that included selling time on sports events and making ourselves known in the community, I had 16 seniors in my final year with over 10% of the school in one of my media classes that year (130+), winning National Radio School of the Year, and bringing in nearly $25,000 per year - including large deals with the Indianapolis Indians, Penske car dealerships, and a ton locally. Effort = success. Now I have a 5-time Emmy award winning sports documentary producer and many other successful former students. I bet A LOT of people said we were wasting money buying a $2,500 tent with our logo plastered all over it. It was from sponsorship and has produced many successful students that got interested in advertising and promotions industries. I absolutely can not stand people telling schools how to spend money - they know their students. That's one reason I don't teach anymore (that and salary and parents).

Great story

1 minute ago, butlerguy03 said:

I absolutely can not stand people telling schools how to spend money - they know their students.

So no need for elected school boards,  the educational professionals can spend it all the taxpayer money as they see fit.

Having had a bit of experience in this circumstance, you have every right to ask questions about what your school district spends it's budget on.  As with almost all elected School Boards, they do their best to do the will of the majority of the community.  I never experienced 100% satisfaction with decisions made, but I have a feeling that the CG School Board knows its community and patrons well enough to make an informed decision and thus provide the value that the community wants.  Granted there are different priorities for each District but I applaud a district that can work hard to be responsible enough on the one project to be able to invest in another.  And yes, if the community doesn't like this decision, they have the ability to correct their "mistake" of elected said members when they are up for re-election.   So, the people always do have a say, it's sometimes just indirect.